Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:00:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Congratualtions Keir Starmer  (Read 79895 times)

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
Re: Congratualtions Keir Starmer
« Reply #690 on June 25, 2020, 04:11:59 pm by bpoolrover »
Ok mate

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #691 on June 25, 2020, 04:51:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
"Corbyn didn't address anti-Semitism because he was weak."

"Starmer only addressed anti-Semitism because it would be popular."

You can just imagine if Starmer was PM and negotiated a peace as we were sliding towards nuclear war. "Well he only did it because he lives in London and they'd be the first to get hit."

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #692 on June 25, 2020, 04:58:23 pm by bpoolrover »
"Corbyn didn't address anti-Semitism because he was weak."

"Starmer only addressed anti-Semitism because it would be popular."

You can just imagine if Starmer was PM and negotiated a peace as we were sliding towards nuclear war. "Well he only did it because he lives in London and they'd be the first to get hit."
I think and is only think it was a good opportunity to get rid of her and you can’t blame him for that

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #693 on June 25, 2020, 05:11:28 pm by selby »
  BPool, most of the far left are still there mate, they have gone nowhere and will be regrouping.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #694 on September 26, 2020, 10:30:03 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Been coming for a while now.

Labour ahead in the latest poll.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1309930873068945408

They were 25% behind in April when Starmer was elected.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #695 on September 27, 2020, 07:19:53 am by Donnywolf »
If they ever get back in power they should immediately put PR into being in the most democratic "no one can argue with the result type of way"

Then we should have no more extremism on either side

However I feel my opening word "if" is a very big "IF" and I dont think Labour will be elected again unless / until there is a popular "uprising" 

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #696 on September 27, 2020, 11:20:12 am by Glyn_Wigley »
I'd argue with any form of PR that meant the electorate couldn't vote a particular politician out of Parliament.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #697 on September 27, 2020, 01:16:17 pm by tyke1962 »

Huge progress under Starmer so well done for that .

The worry is that the gains are purely based on Johnson's failings , a change of Tory leader nullifies the Labour progress .

Some policies anytime soon would give the surge in the polls legs .

In your own time Keir .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #698 on September 27, 2020, 02:56:38 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Tyke.

This absolutely is not the time in the political cycle for detailed policies. It's the time for mood music and setting out broad principles.

That's what Starmer was doing at the Conference. It was obvious to anyone out campaigning and canvassing in the election, or to anyone who has a discussion with people around here that Labour's economic policies were very popular. But people hated Corbyn because he came across as anti-British. I had that said to me time and time again on the doorstep in Stockbridge and Kiveton.

That's precisely why Starmer was making the point in his Conference speech that never again will Labour go into a General Election with the opponent's being able to make the easy accusation that Labour is anti-British.

That approach will upset some on the metropolitan Left but it is vital to winning back the Red Wall seats.

That doesn't need policies though. Not at this stage. It needs the principles to be emphasised.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #699 on September 28, 2020, 05:42:50 pm by MachoMadness »
I'd broadly agree with that, BST, but my concern is that it leads them wide open to "Captain Hindsight" jibes. That sort of thing can stick, as the "deficit denier" jibe did with Brown and the bacon sandwich thing (ugh) did with Miliband. I see no reason why Starmer can't stand up for his manifesto promises AND show himself as a safe pair of hands with strong principles. Granted there is only so much media bandwidth he can use, but some reassurance to those on the left who voted for him in droves wouldn't go amiss.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #700 on September 28, 2020, 05:47:19 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Captain Hindsight? It was only the other day that Starmer said there will be more colds and flu over the coming months due to the colder weather. That's not hindsight, that's Nostradamus meets Michael Fish. 

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #701 on September 29, 2020, 06:50:51 am by Donnywolf »

The worry is that the gains are purely based on Johnson's failings , a change of Tory leader nullifies the Labour progress .

In your own time Keir .

He is playing it right at the moment imho

Sit back and let your opponent make all the mistakes - which lets face it they are doing almost daily and "let everyone notice them for themselves"

If he came out and blasted everybody and everything the Tories would be saying " playing Party Politics" with this issue or that proposal - hell they are doing it already and the narrrative (as people always say nowadays) would become the "row" between Johnson and Starmer and NOT the latest failure or U Turn itself

Only snag with my theory is that the current Students and ther parents and those outraged WILL remember how things have panned out and will hold an electoral grudge but 43% of the Electorate voting Tory will like as not produce another comfortable majority of 80 Seats and another 5 more years for them

I

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #702 on September 29, 2020, 08:58:09 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
It's impossible to tell, polls will change as policies are announced. We should be past covid as a health issue come the next election, Brexit will be a minimal issue and I expect the Tories will look very different.  I don't think Boris will fancy a second term either.

On your point DW the shadow health ministers comments on not letting the opportunity go to waste don't help them at the moment (even if politically she is correct).  Kier Starmer's biggest issue will be keeping his party together I think.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #703 on September 29, 2020, 09:03:39 am by SydneyRover »

In your own time Keir .

He is playing it right at the moment imho

Sit back and let your opponent make all the mistakes - which lets face it they are doing almost daily and "let everyone notice them for themselves"

If he came out and blasted everybody and everything the Tories would be saying " playing Party Politics" with this issue or that proposal - hell they are doing it already and the narrrative (as people always say nowadays) would become the "row" between Johnson and Starmer and NOT the latest failure or U Turn itself

Only snag with my theory is that the current Students and ther parents and those outraged WILL remember how things have panned out and will hold an electoral grudge but 43% of the Electorate voting Tory will like as not produce another comfortable majority of 80 Seats and another 5 more years for them

I

Never Interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake ............... Napoleon

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #704 on September 29, 2020, 09:10:49 am by Donnywolf »
That's the one I couldnt have come up with and went with what I had lol

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #705 on October 01, 2020, 10:39:24 pm by SydneyRover »
Starmer is not letting the grass grow ............

''With Johnson's power ebbing, Labour is right to turn the spotlight on Sunak''

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/01/with-johnsons-power-ebbing-labour-is-right-to-turn-the-spotlight-on-sunak

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #706 on October 07, 2020, 10:25:19 am by selby »
  He is costing the movement money from the Unite union, well done some of the Labour movement really are behind you.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #707 on October 07, 2020, 11:19:58 am by SydneyRover »
So you think he should change course and placate them when the polls are improving?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #708 on October 07, 2020, 01:22:51 pm by wilts rover »
  He is costing the movement money from the Unite union, well done some of the Labour movement really are behind you.

Maybe he is trying to nick some of Boris' Russian oligarchs? Apparently he has plenty to go round...

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #709 on October 07, 2020, 02:18:53 pm by selby »
  He needs them on board or to get rid of them out of the party, or they will do for him in the end.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #710 on October 07, 2020, 05:05:05 pm by Donnywolf »
Congratulations SKS for yet again failing to get one single , straight, insult free answer during Prime Ministers Question times

I DO wonder what any non UK individuals abroad (or here of course) think to this complete waste of time and energy. The PM whoever it is hardly ever EVER give a straight answer to any question unless it is

a) a plant for him/her to promote the latest buzzwords Build back better now in vogue or
b) a question from as an example today the syncophantic MP for Southend who had a book to plug
c) any question from any other person is ignored - anwered with an insult - and without a straight answer to the question.

So example of  b) By Tory MP of Southend

Next month, a book that I have written, called “Ayes and Ears: a Survivor’s Guide to Westminster”, will be published. Part of it covers Brexit—and, yes, by inference, everyone will be in the book. Does my right hon. Friend agree that the last general election was not fought on how political parties might handle the coronavirus pandemic, but was categorically about ensuring that the result of the 2016 referendum is implemented in full? Will he confirm that he intends to see that happen?

Plugging a book and a real chance for Johnson to blow trumpet and in reality for the ordinary man in the street its a nothing answer to a NOTHING question

Johnsons reply

I can indeed. I congratulate my hon. Friend on his new book. I assure him that this country has not only left the European Union, but that on 1 January we will take back full control of our money, our borders and our laws.

Sir Kier Starmer pointing out how unfair some of the lockdowns are and who obviously knew of the Times article I posted somewhere yesterday (it accuses Johnson Sunak and Hancock of NOT enforcing lockdowns in their constituencies when they are worse off statistically than when other places almost all Labour went into lockdown) and I contend WOULD be of interest to the general poulation especially those in Lockdowns everywhere

Question There is a further cause of anger—[Interruption.] Prime Minister, if you actually listen to the question, we might get on better—which is the lack of clarity about why particular restrictions have been introduced. For example, in the Prime Minister’s own local authority of Hillingdon, today there are 62 cases per 100,000, yet no local restrictions, but in 20 local areas across England, restrictions were imposed when infection rates were much lower. In Kirklees, it was just 29 per 100,000. Local communities genuinely do not understand these differences. Can he please explain for them?

Johnsons non answer ?  The right hon. and learned Gentleman has heard from me and heard repeatedly from the Government why we are bringing in differentiated local restrictions. I have just given the figures for the north-east and the north-west. I wish I could pretend that everything is going to be rosy in the midlands or, indeed, in London, where alas we are also seeing infections rise, but that is why we need a concerted national effort. We need to follow the guidance. We need “Hands, face, space” and people to get a test if they have symptoms and to obey the rule of six. I think it quite extraordinary that the right hon. and learned Gentleman just said that he personally supports the rule of six while allowing his entire party to abstain.

At least he got Hands Face Space and the Rule of 6 in despite failing to answer the very serious question.

Kirklees 29 cases per 100000 straight into lockdown

Hillingdon today 62 cases per 100000 somehow avoids lockdown as indeed Liar Johnson avoids the question

SO Is there ANY point in this laughing stock of a "set piece" and as I stated at the outset it is ALWAYS like this whicher PM is at the Dispatch Box

« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 05:10:22 pm by Donnywolf »

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #711 on October 07, 2020, 05:25:19 pm by EasyforDennis »
and don't forget the waste of space speaker. For what use he is we might as well borrow one of the cardboard cutouts from The Emirates stadium and put that in the speakers chair.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #712 on October 07, 2020, 05:40:28 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
SKS will be judged on what he does and not the PM.  It appears he is laying the ground to vote against the 10pm pub closure which is a really interesting one. Does it work? Probably not. But does voting it down set a precedent and attitude to the population at large that restrictions aren't required?  Of course the alternative is to close them completely isn't it?  Which is probably what should happen if we are still going with health first, economy second.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #713 on October 07, 2020, 06:50:37 pm by tyke1962 »
  He needs them on board or to get rid of them out of the party, or they will do for him in the end.

He absolutely doesn't need them on board and neither did Blair if you know Labour's recent history .

McCluskey can go and give his money to some left wing looney tune party if he wants and spend the rest of his days protesting behind the red flag .

As a former trade union man do I like it ?

No I don't but I tell you what I like even less Selby , getting trounced at GE's .

The less the likes of McCluskey are around the Labour Party the more the chance of winning .

Crack on Len .

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #714 on October 07, 2020, 08:04:53 pm by selby »
  I agree Tyke, he needs to get rid of them before they burrow away and get rid of him, but it will be at a monetary cost and not as easy as people think, and there are more members in the labour party and MP's aligned to McClusky and Co. than people think

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #715 on October 07, 2020, 08:25:41 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
McCluskey, popular? He can't even win his own union election without nobbling his opponent.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #716 on October 07, 2020, 08:52:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
So popular, a collosal 5% of Unite members voted for his as leader.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #717 on October 07, 2020, 09:08:01 pm by drfchound »
But it was a very low turnout.
I guess no one could be bothered to vote against him either.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #718 on October 07, 2020, 09:41:08 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
That's kind of the point Hound.

Union leadership elections are stultifyingly boring. But frequently the far Left are very good at organising and winning on tiny turnouts, then getting massively disproportionate leverage over the Labour party. McCluskey spent much of the past 3 years telling Corbyn what policies were and were not acceptable to Unite. After getting elected by 5% of Unite members.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #719 on October 07, 2020, 09:45:52 pm by drfchound »
Well, if you don’t vote you can’t really complain, don’t you agree?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012