Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:19:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Covid - 19 the non-political thread  (Read 8632 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Covid - 19 the non-political thread
« Reply #60 on May 06, 2020, 07:42:25 pm by Bentley Bullet »
A smartphone is only as smart as the person using it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on May 06, 2020, 08:03:48 pm by Sprotyrover »
I welcome this thread I have been getting a bit Fed up of folks  falling out over Politics,silly conspiracy theories and the way this thing is dragging on, My Wife is in the most Vulnerable group and she is terrified,I am working from home and we both miss our 2 sons and their families they are all Key workers and they don't come within 20 feet of our house and that's once a week.I just don't see it getting any easier for us ,the Wife will have to stay isolated as will I . we have always been a very tight knit group My wife is constantly concerned about our family as virtually all of those close to us are 'Frontline' .Im frustrated as after nearly 40 years of public service I find myself in a position where I have to be isolated!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on May 06, 2020, 08:16:56 pm by SydneyRover »
There's no other answer Sprot until this is brought under control, there is no other way, I am in the same position my partner marginally less, we're going out for a walk tomorrow to a small reserve to do some bird watching hopefully there will be few people about, if not we'll come straight home.. I can't see any of the family as even here where the threat is lower a mistake by someone or stupidity can still end in disaster. Stay safe and hang in.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on May 06, 2020, 09:15:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
My heart goes out to you Sproty. Truly. I spoke with my Mum and her husband (who is in a high risk category) at the weekend and they have resigned themselves to a year or more of isolation. It is a horrific situation, and there is nothing that any Govt could have done about that. Like Sydney says, stay safe and hang in.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on May 08, 2020, 10:00:25 am by silent majority »
So, it appears we will be lifting some of the lockdown restrictions.

Which one thing would you like to see? What change would you put above others?

It's tricky I know, I'd love to see my kids but that's another two households. But that would be the key for me.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on May 08, 2020, 10:07:43 am by Bentley Bullet »
I'd like to see the family. Perhaps sit in the garden with them while still under social distancing rules.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on May 08, 2020, 10:08:57 am by Filo »
I think Family could visit, sit in the Garden, I also think places like Golf Courses and Fishing Lakes could reopen

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on May 08, 2020, 10:19:42 am by IDM »
Whenever more things are allowed to open, there needs to be a relaxation of movement restrictions at the same time.. pointless opening things if you’re not permitted to go there..

I guess visiting family - being allowed to go into a limited number of other households, but the problem is how do you limit that or police it.?

Tricky one..

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on May 08, 2020, 11:07:51 am by Bentley Bullet »
I imagine the government is relying on the public's common sense. Trying to enforce rules to those who simply won't follow them has been proved to be a waste of time. I would bet any reduction in the lockdown rules on Sunday won't make a ha'porth of difference to them, they won't have been abiding by them anyway.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on May 08, 2020, 11:09:50 am by IDM »
I also think more people will be breaking the rules this weekend in anticipation of some relaxations.

But that’s a point to discuss elsewhere.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on May 08, 2020, 12:11:43 pm by Not Now Kato »
I imagine the government is relying on the public's common sense. Trying to enforce rules to those who simply won't follow them has been proved to be a waste of time. I would bet any reduction in the lockdown rules on Sunday won't make a ha'porth of difference to them, they won't have been abiding by them anyway.

Forum Admin

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on May 08, 2020, 02:08:51 pm by Forum Admin »
Reminder - this is the non-political thread.

References to the poor performance of the government and Boris will be deleted, there's another thread for that.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on May 12, 2020, 10:55:23 am by silent majority »
So, leaving the politics out of this, do the recently announced changes to lockdown rules make a difference for you?

For me it does nothing at all, still working from home and still exercising locally. Still can't see the kids or grand kids, despite my daughters garden being in excess of 7 acres!!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on May 12, 2020, 11:11:07 am by IDM »
As far as my work goes, I was working from home from 18 March - in response to the initial recommendations at the time.  My furlough started on 4 April and that was due to the financial pressure my employer faces, rather than not actually being able to work.

So for me, I could start to work again immediately,   if my employer requires it, but almost certainly from home again.

The “social” changes mean I can now legitimately drive the 80 miles or so, to end up in the same vicinity out in the open with my elderly father, or he and I could both drive separately to a tourist attraction or indeed anywhere in England, and sit on a bench (longer than 2m obviously) for a chat.  But I still can’t go into his home for a meal or to stay over a couple of days.

I can do that anywhere within England, but I can’t drive to Glasgow to visit my daughter who lives alone.

So in reality, nothing much has actually changed, for me.

The biggest change this week for me will be dependent upon what the chancellor says later today about furlough.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on May 14, 2020, 12:50:29 pm by Not Now Kato »
No change for me, still totally isolating. Getting exercise in the house, (Tai Chi), and in the garden only.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on May 14, 2020, 02:13:43 pm by silent majority »
No change for me, still totally isolating. Getting exercise in the house, (Tai Chi), and in the garden only.

I love Tai Chi. In fact I was at the point of asking the club to run classes in this just as we started to lock down.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on May 14, 2020, 05:03:30 pm by Not Now Kato »

I love Tai Chi. In fact I was at the point of asking the club to run classes in this just as we started to lock down.

That would have been good SM, maybe after CV-19 is over?  It's certainly a great way to both relax and exercise for those of us 'less mobile'.  Though, as a martial art, it's certain to appeal to the younger and fitter generation too.

I've also been trying Qigong, another fun way to exercise without needing a whole lot of room.  Fiendishly clever these Chinese.  :thumbsup:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on May 15, 2020, 04:54:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

References to the poor performance of the government and Boris will be deleted, there's another thread for that.

Thanks for the reminder Martin.
I replied to a post about the government,and mine was deleted.
Great job you're doi g there. This thread should only be about praising the government.

I see Hound's post #78 repeating far-Right bullshit tropes is still there too.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on May 15, 2020, 05:19:53 pm by silent majority »

Great job you're doi g there. This thread should only be about praising the government.

No it's not.

We can only remove posts once we see them, some of us still have full time jobs remember!!

As for Iberians comment, that's gone too although I see you've quoted him. Its a disgraceful statement as in no way is this a thread about praising any government of any colour. The post Iberian replied to was more about the attitude of the general public.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 05:29:34 pm by silent majority »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on May 15, 2020, 06:12:38 pm by silent majority »
It's precisely that SM.

US Govt intelligence officials have said there is no clear evidence pointing at the virus having originated in the Wuhan lab. Yet that line is still being pushed by far-Right disinformation sources.

But it's your call. You can delete messages. I can't. So you are the sole arbiter of what is "political".

I fail to see why you're pointing that out, the post has gone, why the need for extra explanation and a dig at the same time?

By the way, you need to read my post again, it's you that's' misinterpreting now.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on May 15, 2020, 06:14:29 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Apologies, I misread your post and I didn't check that you had deleted the other one . I unreservedly withdraw those comments and have deleted my post.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on May 15, 2020, 09:10:26 pm by drfchound »

I have no idea what my post said BST but your comment above is very disrespectful.
There is no need for you to write stuff like that.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on May 16, 2020, 02:04:55 pm by roversontheup »
In my opinion the relaxing of lockdown has gone too far. Shouldn’t allow people to drive as far as they want to. Allowing more time outside is good and also allowing us to meet one person outside household. I’m lucky that work issues don’t impact on my life as I am retired.

sf9944

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on May 16, 2020, 02:17:37 pm by sf9944 »
Martin

Just to say I'd be up for the Tai Chi if you can get something sorted with the club when this is all over.  Great idea.

bahrain rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on May 17, 2020, 07:54:47 am by bahrain rover »
For me out here nothing has really changed.
Seeing the family is always video anyway as they are in the Philippines. Luckily my wife and kids are here with me.
Rovers is always accessed by here, the only thing I am remotely interested in football wise anyway. Couldn't tell you anything about any other teams or leagues.
The lock down has reunited me with photography again,and being how I am I don't do it the easy way. I particularly enjoy astrophotography and its challenges. Luckily we are blessed with dark sky's in the desert and super clear nights. I am currently set on trying to get clear shots of the ISS, as we see it at least once a day here, we had 3 near overhead passes in the last 24 hours. its proving tricky as it travels past at 17,500mph and requiring fine exposure settings. But thankfully our vision duration's are usually around 5 to 7 minuets in length.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on May 17, 2020, 09:14:13 am by drfchound »
Good to see you aren’t being negative about the situation.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on May 17, 2020, 09:43:10 am by Bentley Bullet »
Good to see you aren’t being negative about the situation.

You mean unlike others on here he's not just taking shots in the dark?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on June 05, 2020, 01:51:55 pm by silent majority »
At long last some good news about statistics and figures. Infection rate drops by half;

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-cases-in-uk-have-more-than-halved-in-last-week-ons-figures-12000892

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on June 05, 2020, 02:12:57 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Very welcome news.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012