Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 11:44:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Capital cities  (Read 2635 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Capital cities
« Reply #30 on May 10, 2020, 11:59:55 am by silent majority »
My list;

Albania    Tirana (Tirane)
Algeria    Algiers
Andorra    Andorra la Vella
Antigua and Barbuda    Saint John's
Austria    Vienna
Azerbaijan    Baku
Barbados    Bridgetown
Belarus    Minsk
Belgium    Brussels
Bosnia and Herzegovina    Sarajevo
Bulgaria    Sofia
Croatia    Zagreb
Cuba    Havana
Cyprus    Nicosia
Czech Republic     Prague
Denmark    Copenhagen
England    London
Estonia    Tallinn
Finland    Helsinki
France    Paris
Germany    Berlin
Greece    Athens
Grenada    Saint George's
Guyana    Georgetown
Haiti    Port au Prince
Hungary    Budapest
Ireland    Dublin
Israel    Tel Aviv & Jerusalem
Italy    Rome
Jamaica    Kingston
Japan    Tokyo
Kenya    Nairobi
Kosovo    Pristina
Latvia    Riga
Libya    Tripoli
Liechtenstein    Vaduz
Lithuania    Vilnius
Luxembourg    Luxembourg
Malta    Valletta
Mexico    Mexico City
Monaco    Monaco
Montenegro    Podgorica
Netherlands    Amsterdam/Hague
North Macedonia (Macedonia)    Skopje
Northern Ireland    Belfast
Norway    Oslo
Panama    Panama City
Poland    Warsaw
Portugal    Lisbon
Qatar    Doha
Romania    Bucharest
Russia    Moscow
Saint Kitts and Nevis    Basseterre
Saint Lucia    Castries
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines    Kingstown
San Marino    San Marino
Scotland   Edinburgh
Serbia    Belgrade
Slovakia    Bratislava
Slovenia    Ljubljana
South Africa    Pretoria, Bloemfontein, Cape Town
Spain    Madrid
Sweden    Stockholm
Switzerland    Bern
Thailand    Bangkok
Trinidad and Tobago    Port of Spain
Tunisia    Tunis
Ukraine    Kiev
United States    Washington D.C
Vatican City    Vatican City
Wales   Cardiff

I've had to use somebody else's list as I have forgotten numerous places that I've been to. That's what you get for following England around the World watching football!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 10, 2020, 12:11:52 pm by ravenrover »
Is Vatican City on a par with Andorra? What was the score last time we played there?😁

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on May 10, 2020, 01:58:50 pm by Donnywolf »
Disappointed you havnt been to Flying Fish Cove or Edinburgh of the Seven Seas

Anyone claim them ? Long shot I know
Look at this - Albatross Bar will get busy I bet

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 02:10:49 pm by Donnywolf »

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 10, 2020, 06:36:51 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Nassau - Bahamas
Bridgetown- Barbados
Manama Bahrain
Belmopan- Belize
Brasilia Brazil
Phnom Penh Cambodia
Santiago- chile
Beijing- China
Bogotá- Columbia
Abidjan- Ivory Coast
Nicosia- Cyprus
Amsterdam Holland
Prague- Czech Republic
Copenhagen-Denmark
Quito-Ecuador
Cairo-Egypt
Libreville-Gabon
Banjul-Gambia
Accra-Ghana
Athens-greece
St. George’s-Grenada
Reykjavik-Iceland
New Delhi-India
Gibraltar
Dublin-Ireland
Rome-Italy
Kingston-Jamaica
Tokyo-japan
Amman-Jordan
Seoul-south Korea
Kuwait City-Kuwait
Riga-Latvia
Monrovia-Liberia
Valletta-Malta
Kathmandu-Nepal
Oslo-Norway
Muscat-Oman
Panama City-Panama
Lima-Peru
Lisbon-Portugal
Doha-Qatar
Basseterre-st kitts/st Nevis
Castries-st Lucia
Dakar-Senegal
Freetown-Sierra leone
Stockholm-Sweden
Bangkok-Thailand
Ankara-Turkey
Abu Dhabi-uae
London
Washington
Montevideo-uraquay
Hanoi-Vietnam
Falkland Islands x 4 times.

This through your job? Mixture? Trips? Right haul.

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on May 10, 2020, 08:26:37 pm by andy didcott »
25 years in navy and a few hols.

bahrain rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 10, 2020, 10:58:36 pm by bahrain rover »
Just curious, a few have mentioned Manama Bahrain, and what did you think of it, as this is not a stand out place like say Dubai. What brought you here? Work, airport transit or Formula1? Bahrain is a cracking little place to visit if you get under the skin of it and not just the bright lights bars and trappings of Juffair ;) Alot of history and culture for somewhere so small. I love living here for the last 7 years through working in Saudi and commuting everyday.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on May 11, 2020, 07:34:22 am by Donnywolf »
Childishly I would love to go there (for F1) BUT probably just so I could sing the Muppet song - Manamana Du du du du du Manamana - on arrival at the Airport

Highland Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 11, 2020, 08:14:14 am by Highland Rover »
 Bahrain .....passed through there in 1960 en route to Ceylon ( where my Dad was stationed ) ..........and then spent a year there 1968-69 in the RAF at Muharraq . Daily exercise was a walk around the existing airfield . Juffair, if I remember rightly was the Navy base but no bright lights ! Manama was beginning to build up .
Footy wise , saw an England Amateur Xl play against Bahrain at the opening of a new stadium ( maybe Sheik Isa Town ? ) and win 4-0 and there was a very competitive Inter-Service League

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on May 11, 2020, 08:27:04 am by andy didcott »
I visited the American navy base there whilst on gulf patrol, the yanks really did have it sussed, restaurants, bars, tennis court, swimming pool, massive px( duty free shop), like being on holiday.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on May 11, 2020, 09:51:50 am by Glyn_Wigley »
I've only been to one, and that was only because I lived there for ten years for work. Is there anybody on here that's not been to any?

bahrain rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 11, 2020, 03:59:23 pm by bahrain rover »
HR, the stadium is indeed in Isa Town. Muharrq is also the airport location,
Andy, Tell me about the Yanks here. Cemented my dislike for them. loud, in yer face, and full of themselves.
The Navy base is entered through Juffair, and has now spread to include Mina Salman port. My old apartment used to overlook the base. there is always some sort of ship moored, with serious weaponry on the decks, fixed and flying varieties.

bahrain rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 11, 2020, 04:17:33 pm by bahrain rover »
DW, The circuit and race is a good one to attend, alot going on over the week. Not only the racing but it attracts big bands to play after racing is finished.
Plus its a day/night race and the colours and light is stunning as the sun sets over the Sakir desert, also its usually around a pleasant28 degrees. Once the racing is done its only 20 minutes drive to the entertainment districts of Juffair and Adaliya, where you can find/do everything to your tastes. 

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 11, 2020, 07:55:25 pm by tommy toes »
Amsterdam X2 very nice
Bucharest. scary
London. Dump
Paris. X3 Lovely
Rome x 2 Lovelier
Athens. Shithole
Madrid. Very nice
Lisbon. Great

That's about it.

BiargeBob

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 14, 2020, 09:45:45 am by BiargeBob »
I see that we have page after page on Covid 19, with forum members taking the government to task how they have handled the pandemic. The self same people than contribute to a thread that is glorifying in adding to the climate change, the biggest threat to our livelyhood, by adding to the carbon footprint. People never fail to amaze me.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on May 14, 2020, 09:57:20 am by IDM »
Climate change is a different debate altogether..

So, because some of us have traveled, that then diminishes our right to criticise government actions on coronavirus, where well over 30000 of our population have been killed.?

Climate change is important, and how we manage our travel is relevant, but to link this to berating those people who have opinions on coronavirus is nonsense.  No one is glorifying climate change here.

Please don’t turn a thread with no arguments into one.  If you want to discuss climate change perhaps open another thread instead.?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 09:59:40 am by IDM »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on May 14, 2020, 10:36:50 am by Glyn_Wigley »
I see that we have page after page on Covid 19, with forum members taking the government to task how they have handled the pandemic. The self same people than contribute to a thread that is glorifying in adding to the climate change, the biggest threat to our livelyhood, by adding to the carbon footprint. People never fail to amaze me.

Do you refuse to eat food that has been air-freighted into this country on principle?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on May 14, 2020, 10:53:28 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Thanks for that contribution.

For the record, 21 of the cities I've listed are ones that I've visited with work for meetings or presentations that have been connected with securing export earnings. I assume you didn't expect me to reinvent the entire way in which late stage Capitalism operates while I was doing it?

Another 9 are cities I visited on trains while Inter-Railing twice, 31 and 34 years ago.

1 is a city I visited on holiday as a kid 41 years ago. And the other two are from my honeymoon 20 years ago.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 14, 2020, 01:21:21 pm by phil old leake »
There’s only 1 that should count.  The capital of Yorkshire. Doncaster with the mighty River Don Hexthorpe Flats and Cusworth Hall
Who would want to go anywhere else

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on May 14, 2020, 02:10:35 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Like IDM and BST I think you need to have a separate conversation on the very real issue of climate change, and trying to deduce carbon footprints from lists on here might not give an accurate indication. Someone who has been to Spain on holiday 20 times may have a worse footprint than someone who has been to as many capital cities once each. Also you do not know how old a poster might be, where they have been based, and how long ago the travel was.

For the record of the 25 capitals I listed, 15 I visited for work purposes. Five long distance ones were on a once in a lifetime round the world trip in the 1980s, and the remaining five are Amsterdam, Bonn, Luxembourg (all done without flying while I lived 40 years in the Netherlands), Dublin and Vienna (both done for major European sport events, the former I had an official role in and the latter my daughter competed in).     

Since I returned to the UK in 2013 the only ones I have visited are London and Dublin (and of course Belfast if you count it and which is 12 miles away from me these days).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 02:13:37 pm by Dutch Uncle »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on May 14, 2020, 02:22:47 pm by silent majority »

I probably put up the biggest list, so my carbon footprint is massive. But I'm also not berating the government so does that make me OK?

In fairness a lot of my journeys were/are work related as I needed to train and educate fellow workers and other companies on what we manufacture. As it happens I work for a technology company that manufactures technological solutions that saves the planet, reduces global warming and are key components to reducing carbon emissions. We are world leaders in a lot of these areas, so much so that we advise governments around the world on adopting greener solutions. One of my activities, that puts me in London a lot, is sitting on a management board and the technical committee that does exactly that.

So, not terribly concerned about your post to be fair.

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on May 14, 2020, 09:57:00 pm by andy didcott »
Of the capital cities I listed,90% of them I sailed to.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 14, 2020, 10:16:14 pm by tommy toes »
Amsterdam X2 very nice.  Both boat/ bus
Bucharest. scary....on a plane
London. Dump....on a train
Paris. X3 Lovely.... train. train. ferry/bus
Rome x 2 Lovelier. Plane
Athens. Shithole..  Cruise ship
Madrid. Very nice.  Plane work related
Lisbon. Great Cruise ship.