Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:36:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: EFL season over  (Read 57006 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: EFL season over
« Reply #420 on May 30, 2020, 12:07:13 pm by IDM »
Yes, I meant no promotion nor relegation.

Although vicariously that does mean null and void, perhaps with the exception of awarding the title, and the appropriate distribution of positional prize money.?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #421 on May 30, 2020, 02:42:18 pm by firestarter »
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11996667/efl-league-one-and-league-two-proposal-set-for-june-8-vote 
June 2nd being the deadline to propose anything

That's slightly misleading. The clubs have had the 2 proposals to consider for a while now, it's just the vote that has been delayed. I doubt very much that any new proposals would surface, or be allowed to before June 2nd.

The timescales just don't allow for anything else now, we're at the point where clubs, including ours, need to be wrapping things up due to the considerable financial burdens that they are under. After this vote is taken an EGM has to be called to ratify the decisions being made. Time is now of the essence.

SM .. are the 2 proposals a) playing on b) just having the playoffs?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #422 on May 30, 2020, 03:31:07 pm by silent majority »
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11996667/efl-league-one-and-league-two-proposal-set-for-june-8-vote 
June 2nd being the deadline to propose anything

That's slightly misleading. The clubs have had the 2 proposals to consider for a while now, it's just the vote that has been delayed. I doubt very much that any new proposals would surface, or be allowed to before June 2nd.

The timescales just don't allow for anything else now, we're at the point where clubs, including ours, need to be wrapping things up due to the considerable financial burdens that they are under. After this vote is taken an EGM has to be called to ratify the decisions being made. Time is now of the essence.

SM .. are the 2 proposals a) playing on b) just having the playoffs?

Yes

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #423 on May 30, 2020, 03:57:40 pm by silent majority »
Yes, I meant no promotion nor relegation.

Although vicariously that does mean null and void, perhaps with the exception of awarding the title, and the appropriate distribution of positional prize money.?

But there’s no regulation that covers that either, so a majority of clubs would need to vote for that option and that’s not happening.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #424 on May 30, 2020, 04:04:10 pm by silent majority »
Or not at all.?  Is that an option.?

Do you mean no promotion or relegation? It was an option, but the EFL would be fighting that in the courts forever.

Legal action is one thing that the EFL don't want. They have a £200m hole in their accounts and can't afford to battle it out.

Would they? Surely if you can't complete a season the default position is null-and-void? It's not many people's favoured option (I think only Southend have publicly come out in favour) but I think you might struggle to prove that it unlawful.

There is no regulation that covers a season ending like this. So even if the majority of clubs wanted this they would still have to create the regulation through an EGM.

Believe me when I say certain clubs are already threatening legal action to push their agenda. Even Stevenage who face relegation from the EFL are talking in this fashion.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #425 on May 30, 2020, 04:07:05 pm by selby »
  I listened to a programme on talksport 2 on the EFL specifically this afternoon, the reason the decision has been put back to June the 8th is they are hoping that the Premiership  will have come to a definite decision about promotion and relegation if they complete their season at their meeting earlier on next week. So really they are hanging on their coat tails and dare not have no relegation in the EFL divisions and give the Premiership an excuse.
  The feeling is that an exception will be no relegation from division 2 only saving Stevenage and using Bury as the notional relegated club.
  The vote to curtail division 1 and have playoffs  with points per game or play the season out is roughly 15 to 8 clubs in favour of ending the season due to cost and the expense of extending playing contracts.
  The general feeling was that contracted players would be replaced in most cases by younger players on loan from premiership sides with the parent premiership club paying most if not all of the loanee's  wages.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #426 on May 30, 2020, 07:47:20 pm by idler »
Braford City announced this week that all loan players had returned to their parent clubs and all players out of contract at the end of the season would be released.
I wonder how many times that will be repeated.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #427 on May 30, 2020, 07:51:27 pm by drfchound »
Braford City announced this week that all loan players had returned to their parent clubs and all players out of contract at the end of the season would be released.

Can you say that again please mate.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #428 on May 30, 2020, 08:10:46 pm by idler »
Is that an echo or have you been eating radishes hound?😉

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #429 on May 30, 2020, 08:17:34 pm by drfchound »

Being serious now idler, I fear it will become a commonplace scenario.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #430 on May 30, 2020, 08:30:07 pm by IDM »
But hasn’t league 2 voted to end their season anyway.?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #431 on May 30, 2020, 08:33:20 pm by drfchound »
But hasn’t league 2 voted to end their season anyway.?

I asked that further back in the thread, post 411.
RA responded in post 412 then SM updated that in post 415.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #432 on May 30, 2020, 09:13:52 pm by IDM »
As far as I can tell, PPG wouldn’t bring Bradford into the play offs, so I assume this means their season is effectively over.?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #433 on May 30, 2020, 09:34:09 pm by selby »
  Yes they have voted, but the vote I don't think has been ratified and they have to vote first to change the rules when agreement has been reached with all three divisions in agreement as to how the season ends, so that the EFL will be covered as to teams taking them to court.
  Basically they are making it up as they go along because nothing is in place to cover the situation, so the first vote will to cover themselves (the EFL) so that they cannot be taken to court.
  Then the vote will take place to instigate any propositions. But as I posted earlier they first want to see which way the premiership go with promotion and relegation if their season is not concluded if possible according to a reporter on Talksport following the subject.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #434 on May 30, 2020, 09:40:49 pm by drfchound »
  Yes they have voted, but the vote I don't think has been ratified and they have to vote first to change the rules when agreement has been reached with all three divisions in agreement as to how the season ends, so that the EFL will be covered as to teams taking them to court.
  Basically they are making it up as they go along because nothing is in place to cover the situation, so the first vote will to cover themselves (the EFL) so that they cannot be taken to court.
  Then the vote will take place to instigate any propositions. But as I posted earlier they first want to see which way the premiership go with promotion and relegation if their season is not concluded if possible according to a reporter on Talksport following the subject.

I don’t hold a lot of love for the EFL but to be fair to them there is no way that they could have had anything in place to cover the situation we are in.
If they are making it up as they go along then that is because no one could ever have envisaged this virus coming and causing all the problems it has done.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #435 on May 30, 2020, 11:52:13 pm by selby »
  Agree with the present situation Hound, But when you look at football leagues governance beneath the EFL, they at least had committee's in place with the power and respect of their clubs to make decisions.
  To have a league run with less written down rules to cover situations such as ours with Bolton when the Selby youth league for U6's have, shows a lack of foresight to start with, and certainly a lack of the will to impose sentences for wrong doing and a lack of governance as far as who are fit and proper persons to run football clubs,and supervise FFP which are in their remit.
  If they had done just that part of their job Bury would still have a football Club and half the clubs in the Championship would not be in the doo doo they are now.
  They are and have been for quite a few years a shameful shambles and their record stands out to be shot at.

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #436 on May 31, 2020, 08:27:50 am by Chris the Rover »
Well said Selby. I always believed they were worse than useless and this shambles is additional proof. Utterly inept!

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #437 on May 31, 2020, 09:05:40 pm by firestarter »
Just been announced that the Championship is starting on the 20th June..( provisionally)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 09:13:34 pm by firestarter »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #438 on May 31, 2020, 10:54:05 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Would have to say if one league is starting why not others?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #439 on June 01, 2020, 12:26:10 am by IDM »
Money.. there’s more of it around in the championship and 3 teams can win the richest prize in football..

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #440 on June 01, 2020, 08:03:00 am by roversdude »
I thought that regulations had to be consistent throughout the leagues - surely if the Championship continue this sets the precedent for Leagues One and Two. Personally I think that this season just needs wrapping up PDQ

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #441 on June 01, 2020, 08:25:11 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Money.. there’s more of it around in the championship and 3 teams can win the richest prize in football..

Yes, and this tells us why too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52866678

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #442 on June 02, 2020, 09:07:42 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Incidentally, has anyone seen a model that doesn't have us finishing 9th?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52689630

Don’t know why but I just thought about this challenge  :)

If we put the teams in alphabetical order then we would be 8th  :thumbsup:

But put if we put Bury back in then we are still 9th   :headbang:

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #444 on June 03, 2020, 01:25:38 am by RoversAlias »
I thought about reading all of that but once you realise all this silly method does is keep Tranmere, the side Palios owns, up in place of Wimbledon, it all makes perfect sense.

Has anyone devised a "method" that sees Rovers crowned as champions yet?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #445 on June 03, 2020, 06:46:00 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I thought about reading all of that but once you realise all this silly method does is keep Tranmere, the side Palios owns, up in place of Wimbledon, it all makes perfect sense.

Has anyone devised a "method" that sees Rovers crowned as champions yet?

Exactly. He must be sniffing glue or something to come up with a convoluted method using average PPG over 3 years! Ha Ha.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #446 on June 03, 2020, 11:46:10 am by Dutch Uncle »
Yet another proposal..

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/new-proposal-how-decide-season-would-hand-doncaster-rovers-play-place-how-would-it-work-2871720

Try getting your head round thatl

Hmmmm

Funnily enough, from a purely statistical standpoint I can actually see the merits in this, certainly if more years (at least 10) are considered.

However...... IMHO Football is not the place to introduce such complicated measures. We are in Duckworth-Lewis territory here, and cricket is statistically a far more complicated game to start with. IMHO the EFL needs to keep it simple and understandable. Also this is almost certain to give leagues of differing numbers of teams next season meaning further strange numbers of teams relegated and/or promoted for at least another season, if not more.

It is all very well, essential even, to perform detailed mathematical error analysis for important issues (I was once involved in a detailed  analysis on error margins for how thick and strong the walls of a nuclear fusion reactor should be), but IMHO the EFL solution needs to be simple, understandable, and not have effects lasting multiple seasons.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #447 on June 03, 2020, 01:02:02 pm by ravenrover »
The only teams talking about this appear to be the ones threatened with relegation or the ones fearing they won't be in the playoffs

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #448 on June 03, 2020, 01:54:37 pm by DRNaith »
The only teams talking about this appear to be the ones threatened with relegation or the ones fearing they won't be in the playoffs

Absolutely, it makes a lot less difference to those clubs.

If we were in the relegation or promotion areas, the club would either be acting as "selfishly" as others currently appear to be doing, or our supporter would be slating the club for not trying to work in the best interests of the club.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #449 on June 03, 2020, 09:12:03 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012