Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:16:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: No Brexit Extension  (Read 92501 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: No Brexit Extension
« Reply #1170 on October 30, 2020, 08:03:46 pm by SydneyRover »
I do understand your previous comment SS and maybe my comment wasn't as clear, which was aimed at those voters and their dislike/distrust of ....(ammended) the EU

I'm tired of all this shit we have swapped johnson for the EU we should be happy.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 08:06:24 pm by SydneyRover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1171 on October 30, 2020, 08:21:43 pm by drfchound »
I do understand your previous comment SS and maybe my comment wasn't as clear, which was aimed at those voters and their dislike/distrust of ....(ammended) the EU

I'm tired of all this shit we have swapped johnson for the EU we should be happy.

We?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1172 on October 30, 2020, 08:22:44 pm by SydneyRover »
OK not you hound

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1173 on October 30, 2020, 08:24:24 pm by drfchound »
Ha.
Have you sneaked back to the UK.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1174 on October 30, 2020, 08:32:37 pm by SydneyRover »
Apologies I forgot I was dealing with the little britain brigade

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1175 on October 30, 2020, 08:35:09 pm by drfchound »
I just don’t understand why you have to say “we” when you talk about Brexit or what goes on in the UK.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1176 on October 30, 2020, 08:44:09 pm by SydneyRover »
There's a lot of stuff you don't understand hound but don't worry tomorrow's a new day lots of time for more questions.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1177 on October 30, 2020, 08:45:11 pm by drfchound »
Well you can ask away in the morning then.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #1178 on October 30, 2020, 08:58:33 pm by tyke1962 »

No we've ditched the EU for what ever the country elects in four years time , Johnson's made sure that the vote stood , nothing more nothing less .

The future outside of the EU has yet to be defined in my opinion .

It's a slow burn is this Sydney and will cover more than the election we had last year .

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1179 on October 30, 2020, 09:15:45 pm by SydneyRover »
I agree Tyke it's a slow burn but as the link put up the other day from the ex-BOE bod emphasised, with an EU deal there is only one way brexit will effect the economy and it's going to cost. Whether there is a political penalty to pay by anyone that will be determined either on the way or at the next election.

If Biden gets it up the indicators are there is no hurry to sign a trade deal, that of course may change when reality bites and the dog catches the car, there will be one hell of a lot of work to do.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1180 on November 23, 2020, 08:44:16 pm by SydneyRover »
Another scaremonger, what would he know aye?

''Bailey said failure to agree to a deal before the Brexit transition expires at the end of December would cause disruption to cross-border trade and damage the goodwill between London and Brussels needed to build a future economic partnership''

''No-deal Brexit to cost more than Covid, Bank of England governor says
Andrew Bailey said failure to agree to deal would cause long-term damage to UK economy''

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/23/no-deal-brexit-to-cost-more-than-covid-bank-of-england-governor-says

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1181 on November 23, 2020, 09:15:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Sydney.

I heard precisely the same last night on the radio from the ex-hesd civil servant at the Dept for Exiting the EU.

He said the projections were that COVID would reduce GDP by 1.5% over the medium term. Leaving the EU with a decent deal would give us a 5% GDP hit over the medium term. That's equivalent to losing the entire amount that we spend on running schools and colleges each year.

And that is the best case scenario with a good deal. Leave with no deal and we lose the entire Education, Defence and Policing budgets.

Still. We took back control, eh?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1182 on November 23, 2020, 09:26:59 pm by SydneyRover »
You'd want to hope that Frost and the other negtiators are given every assistance to come up with some semblance of a deal.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #1183 on November 24, 2020, 03:50:59 pm by Axholme Lion »
  PR in 2016 would have seen a very strong Brexit party and a probable coalition with the Tories and probably Labour having to back brexit to be credible under Corbyn who would have been able to back his own convictions instead of cow tailing to the do gooders.

If we'd had PR from 1997, there would never have been a Brexit Party.

Very few people cared much about the EU before 2010, outside the rabid right wing fringe of the Tory party.

UKIP were irrelevant then.

And then we had the lunacy of Austerity. Working benefits cut. Stagnant wages for years. People understandably getting pissed off at working harder and getting poorer.

And Farage jumped on that and started getting traction that it was all down to competition from immigrant workers and that was the fault of the EU.

And UKIP started taking support from the Tories.

And Cameron addressed that by offering the Referendum if he won in 2015, never expecting to win an outright majority in 2015.

None of that would have happened with PR. The Tories wouldn't have been in power in 2010. There would have been a Lab/LD coalition. Farage would have remained an impotent gobshite, stirring up a few thousand Colonel Blimp type golf club bores, like he did before he got his chance. The EU would have remained the 8th or 9th most important thing on people's list of political priorities. Even if 2010-15 had played out as it did, the Tories would not have had a majority to get a Referendum through Parliament in 2015.

So, the Referendum would never have happened with PR. We would have been a far less volatile and riven society and we wouldn't have this tit as PM in the biggest crisis in 75 years.

And if you disagree with any of that, I strongly suggest you go and have a look at the opinion polls from 2005-2010 before you respond. Go and see how irrelevant Farage and UKIP were. And how little people really cared about the EU.

UKIP was not as important then because the BNP was on a roll at the time.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1184 on November 24, 2020, 05:41:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
  PR in 2016 would have seen a very strong Brexit party and a probable coalition with the Tories and probably Labour having to back brexit to be credible under Corbyn who would have been able to back his own convictions instead of cow tailing to the do gooders.

Very few people cared much about the EU before 2010, outside the rabid right wing fringe of the Tory party.

And then we had the lunacy of Austerity. Working benefits cut. Stagnant wages for years. People understandably getting pissed off at working harder and getting poorer.

And Farage jumped on that and started getting traction that it was all down to competition from immigrant workers and that was the fault of the EU.

And Cameron addressed that by offering the Referendum if he won in 2015, never expecting to win an outright majority in 2015.

None of that would have happened with PR. The Tories wouldn't have been in power in 2010. There would have been a Lab/LD coalition. Farage would have remained an impotent gobshite, stirring up a few thousand Colonel Blimp type golf club bores, like he did before he got his chance. The EU would have remained the 8th or 9th most important thing on people's list of political priorities. Even if 2010-15 had played out as it did, the Tories would not have had a majority to get a Referendum through Parliament in 2015.

So, the Referendum would never have happened with PR. We would have been a far less volatile and riven society and we wouldn't have this tit as PM in the biggest crisis in 75 years.

And if you disagree with any of that, I strongly suggest you go and have a look at the opinion polls from 2005-2010 before you respond. Go and see how irrelevant Farage and UKIP were. And how little people really cared about the EU.

So you couldn't be bothered to take my advice and look at the numbers before giving us your opinion?

In terms of voter support, the BNP was irrelevant, as were UKIP.

In 2005, they got 0.7% of the General Election vote. UKIP got 2.2%.

They got 1.8% of the vote in 2010. UKIP got 3%. Between them, they were barely a blip on the landscape. They were far right loonies, screaming into the void. Neither of them would have got a seat in a sensible PR system, which requires a minimum percentage of the vote to get a seat, precisely to stop the extreme nutter from getting exposure.

By 2013, after 3 years of Austerity, that had all changed. UKIP were getting 20-odd% in the polls, bizarrely, much of it from disgruntled ex-Lib Dem voters and most of the rest from the Tories. Labour were 10% in the polls. The economy was tanking. The Tories were panicking and that's when Cameron promised a Brexit Referendum to see off the UKIP threat.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #1185 on November 25, 2020, 10:45:13 am by Axholme Lion »

So you couldn't be bothered to take my advice and look at the numbers before giving us your opinion?

In terms of voter support, the BNP was irrelevant, as were UKIP.

In 2005, they got 0.7% of the General Election vote. UKIP got 2.2%.

They got 1.8% of the vote in 2010. UKIP got 3%. Between them, they were barely a blip on the landscape. They were far right loonies, screaming into the void. Neither of them would have got a seat in a sensible PR system, which requires a minimum percentage of the vote to get a seat, precisely to stop the extreme nutter from getting exposure.

By 2013, after 3 years of Austerity, that had all changed. UKIP were getting 20-odd% in the polls, bizarrely, much of it from disgruntled ex-Lib Dem voters and most of the rest from the Tories. Labour were 10% in the polls. The economy was tanking. The Tories were panicking and that's when Cameron promised a Brexit Referendum to see off the UKIP threat.

They got enough votes and council seats over the years to put the frighteners on the LibLabCon clique. They may have been irrelevant in gaining seats, but you don't always need to do that to force other people to change direction and think hard about why people were voting for them.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1186 on November 25, 2020, 12:33:41 pm by selby »
 I can't wait for all these doom prophecies to come to fruition especially if they are as good as the science has been about the number of  covid deaths
were.
  With experts and scientist like those we could do with a few amateurs having a go and a lottery to get some money in.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #1187 on November 25, 2020, 12:40:37 pm by Axholme Lion »
I can't wait for all these doom prophecies to come to fruition especially if they are as good as the science has been about the number of  covid deaths
were.
  With experts and scientist like those we could do with a few amateurs having a go and a lottery to get some money in.

If you listened to all these self appointed so called experts on everything in the headlines such as climate, Brexit and covid you could well be forgiven for jumping off Beachy Head without a parachute! We're all doomed I tell ye!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1188 on November 25, 2020, 01:02:20 pm by wilts rover »
were.

Are you talking about the projection of the number of covid deaths in a scenario in which the goverment took no action to stop the spread of a deadly disease - or some other ones? Beacuse its' good that nobody serious in powere decided to see if they would come true or not - and decided to put in measures designed to achieve the not.

Lets hope they are wise enough to do the same over an EU deal.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #1189 on November 25, 2020, 01:30:50 pm by Axholme Lion »
were.

Are you talking about the projection of the number of covid deaths in a scenario in which the goverment took no action to stop the spread of a deadly disease - or some other ones? Beacuse its' good that nobody serious in powere decided to see if they would come true or not - and decided to put in measures designed to achieve the not.

Lets hope they are wise enough to do the same over an EU deal.

The projections from the likes of Keep it in your trousers Ferguson, who seldom gets any prediction right, or Dim Whitty and his side kick who always go over the top.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1190 on November 25, 2020, 02:11:14 pm by selby »
  We could always just do what the Germans and French are good at, sign a treaty and then just break it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1191 on November 25, 2020, 02:20:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Selby.

We already HAVE broken the Withdrawal Agreement treaty that was overwhelmingly voted for by Parliament in January.

Which treaties have the French and Germans broken?

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #1192 on November 25, 2020, 02:36:06 pm by Axholme Lion »
Selby.

We already HAVE broken the Withdrawal Agreement treaty that was overwhelmingly voted for by Parliament in January.

Which treaties have the French and Germans broken?

The Treaty of Versailles was a pretty big one.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1193 on November 25, 2020, 03:13:23 pm by IDM »
That’s kind of been dealt with 70-80 years ago..

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #1194 on November 25, 2020, 03:38:39 pm by Axholme Lion »
That’s kind of been dealt with 70-80 years ago..

If that's the case why are peopling still going on about what the British Empire did two hundred years ago?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1195 on November 25, 2020, 05:14:30 pm by IDM »
Some wrongs take longer to put right, perhaps.?

I don’t think we should ignore history, but learn from it.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1196 on November 25, 2020, 06:45:56 pm by selby »
 The Russians were a bit miffed with the Germans at one point.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #1197 on December 03, 2020, 11:07:17 am by Not Now Kato »
I have, on a number of occasions, asked leavers to post a single, quantifiable, benefit of Brexit without any serious replies coming forward. Well, though I still remain very sceptical about Brexit and it's impact on the UK as a whole, I have just found a genuine benefit of Brexit....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55167473

Whilst the Farmers Union appear to be opposed to it, this can only be a good thing and should be welcomed by all sides of the argument.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1198 on December 03, 2020, 11:32:05 am by SydneyRover »
Indeed it is good Kato live animal shipments have never been a good option and virtually unregulated treatment at the other end

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #1199 on December 03, 2020, 11:38:19 am by Axholme Lion »
Farming subsidies are now to be paid on the environmental efforts farmers make rather than the amount of land they have. Maybe we will see some hedge rows coming back?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012