Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:38:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: No Brexit Extension  (Read 92599 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: No Brexit Extension
« Reply #810 on September 04, 2020, 07:00:38 pm by Filo »
Possibly use.

You are arguing for arguings sake, the figure they will use if the triple lock is not abolished will be the rise in average earnings, whatever that may be, but it is currently forecast to be 25%

No I am not Filo.
Sunak clearly says (according to the article anyway) that he can’t comment on future policy.
There is the possibility that given the very unusual circumstances that an adjustment could be made to balance out the very unusual circumstances.

Unless you can categorically guarantee that your suggestion will be used.

As it stands that is what will happen, if Sunak changes something they have gone against a manifesto pledge

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #811 on September 04, 2020, 07:07:15 pm by drfchound »
Possibly use.

You are arguing for arguings sake, the figure they will use if the triple lock is not abolished will be the rise in average earnings, whatever that may be, but it is currently forecast to be 25%

No I am not Filo.
Sunak clearly says (according to the article anyway) that he can’t comment on future policy.
There is the possibility that given the very unusual circumstances that an adjustment could be made to balance out the very unusual circumstances.

Unless you can categorically guarantee that your suggestion will be used.

As it stands that is what will happen, if Sunak changes something they have gone against a manifesto pledge

But you seem to be forgetting that we are in unusual and unprecedented times.
When the manifesto was made no one could have forecast where we are now.
I get the feeling that you are preparing to have a pop at the government if they do change from the manifesto promise on this.
Do you really think it would be unreasonable if they had to do so?
As you know by now, I am a pensioner and I would accept that it would be silly to raise the SP by 25% and I think that most others would agree.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #812 on September 05, 2020, 12:02:07 am by BillyStubbsTears »
This by the way is both absolutely right and stunningly wrong.

https://amp.ft.com/content/61f4de96-5c4b-466e-b4a1-668245207035?__twitter_impression=true

Bang on right in that the Tories currently have no economic philosophy driving them. They are reacting to events, not driving them.

And stunningly wrong in that he's proposing that Sunak should cut spending,  raise taxes and balance the books, which is absolutely the very worst thing a Chancellor could do with the economy in bits like it is now.

It's written by the man who was the economics adviser to Javid and Hammond when they were Chancellor.

But he has zero background in macroeconomics (the economics of the whole economy and country). He studied law then worked in the City of London, where macroeconomics is not important - just the economics of what makes finance companies rich.

Somebody asked earlier if Gordon Brown had been guided by advisers. And there's the point. He was. Ed Balls was the brains behind Brown's time in the Treasury. Balls studied macroeconomics at Oxford and Harvard, then taught it at Harvard before he joined the Govt. He was steeped in macroeconomics. And it's not a coincidence that, until the Great Financial Crash smashed economies all over the world,Britain had its longest spell of calm, steady growth since before WWI. And then led the world in responding to the GFC in textbook style by ignoring the deficit and spending heavily to keep the economy from going into a 1930s style depression.

But hey! Labour are shite on economics aren't they? And Balls was a laughing stock because he stammered and blinked a lot.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #813 on September 05, 2020, 12:24:20 am by SydneyRover »
And if the government are looking for a white knight abbott and johnson are mirror images.

''Brits, take it from an Aussie: If Tony Abbott is your solution, you've got big problems''

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/04/brits-aussie-tony-abbott-trade-envoy

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #814 on September 05, 2020, 07:25:30 am by wilts rover »
Tony Abbott, who has spent his whole political career opposing migrants taking jobs from locals, has migrated to the UK to take a job from a local. Nice.

As I say in another thread, its one rule for one, and one rule for another.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #815 on September 05, 2020, 07:40:45 am by SydneyRover »
Not sure which paper but I read the the person that should be employed is the one that 'sold' abbott to the government lol

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #816 on September 05, 2020, 12:09:50 pm by ravenrover »
I don't get this love affair with Sunak, surely he is just the mouthpiece for all the civil servants at the Treasury. It's not like he comes up with all these ideas himself

In that case Raven, you'd surely have to say the same about all the good Labour Chancellors of the past, including Dennis Healey and Gordon Brown?
I say that about any Minister SS

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #817 on September 05, 2020, 12:24:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It doesn't usually work like that. If you have a minister who knows what policy they want to push, the civil servants are there to.implemrnt that policy.

They may well find 50 reasons why the Minister's policy is impossible to implement in practice, or illegal and they may well advise that the consequences of the Minister's policy may be dangerous or difficult to predict and they may therefore suggest that the Minister reconsiders. But as a rule, they are not there to determine policy. They are there to advise on the consequences and implement policy.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #818 on September 05, 2020, 06:00:42 pm by ravenrover »
So in a nutshell Sunak is a genius to come up with all the initiatives on his own?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #819 on September 05, 2020, 06:36:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
RR.

Not really. They are well established responses in economics. The key thing that all knowledgeable economists were saying to Govts in Feb/March was "borrow money and spend it to make sure that viable jobs don't get destroyed by a lockdown".  Other countries were implementing similar policies.

The genius thing Sunak did compared to Tory Chancellors over the past 50 years was to apply textbook economics to the problem.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #820 on September 05, 2020, 07:01:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Marcus Fysh is also now on the Board of Trade.

Here he was 2 years ago, demonstrating to the world that he knows the square root of f**k all about international trade.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1024207148014870529

He insisted that we will not impose tariffs on goods coming in from Europe

But.

If we are going onto WTO rules, we cannot have preferential deals with one country or bloc, without offering them to every country.

So.

If we don't sign a deal in the next 3 months and we drop onto WTO rules, Fysh is saying implicitly, that we will not impose tariffs on ANY imports from anywhere in the world.

Which basically destroys most of what is left of British industry.

And he's now on the Board of Trade!

I'm assuming the alarm clock is going to go off shortly and wake us all up from this surreal nightmare?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #821 on September 06, 2020, 11:29:08 am by selby »
  If you trawl back months I predicted on here the London money men would be the main players when they were being threatened by the EU and would hit back hard, and if I remember got poo pooed.
  I know it would be hard for a lot of people on here, but if you look at the headlines in the Express, Who is threatening who now?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #822 on September 06, 2020, 11:33:48 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Why don't you post a link so we can see what you are talking about?

All I can see on the Express front page is Bill Oddie Dying and the standard stories churned out once a week about Diane Abbott and about a deadly heatwave.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #823 on September 06, 2020, 11:46:32 am by selby »
 Keep reading the interesting stuff about Bill Oddie and that other hero of yours the ultimate female buffoon.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #824 on September 06, 2020, 11:58:31 am by SydneyRover »
  If you trawl back months I predicted on here the London money men would be the main players when they were being threatened by the EU and would hit back hard, and if I remember got poo pooed.
  I know it would be hard for a lot of people on here, but if you look at the headlines in the Express, Who is threatening who now?

this is nonsense selby, all thats happening is Frost is threatening to stab himself in the balls if the EU doesn't jump to attention.

And unlike yourself almost everyone predicted it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #825 on September 06, 2020, 12:18:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
So. No link Selby?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #826 on September 06, 2020, 01:18:34 pm by drfchound »
Has Sydney got a link to where everyone predicted it.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #827 on September 06, 2020, 01:25:22 pm by SydneyRover »
Still waiting for you to post something good about the tories from the previous 10-11 years hound.

Added.

And you don't read links so what's the point  :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 01:29:10 pm by SydneyRover »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #828 on September 06, 2020, 01:31:11 pm by drfchound »
Well they kept Corbyn out of number ten.

Oh, and I read some links as I have said many times previously.

Added: Maybe you don’t read my posts properly.   :)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #829 on September 06, 2020, 02:30:21 pm by wilts rover »
Anyone know if it says in the Express why Boris' 'oven ready deal' isn't errr, ready?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #830 on September 06, 2020, 03:41:06 pm by idler »
No money for the gas?😉

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #831 on September 06, 2020, 07:02:22 pm by wilts rover »
Australian Channel 9 tv on Abbott being appointed as a UK trade advisor:

'beggars can't be choosers'

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1302583276629037059

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #832 on September 06, 2020, 10:18:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Dominic Raab today:
'Why on earth would the EU want different terms with us than they have previously agreed with other countries that are less important economically and further away?"

Not the sharpest knife in the box, Mr Raab is he?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #833 on September 07, 2020, 10:16:55 am by Glyn_Wigley »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgO9tbS3w2w

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #834 on September 07, 2020, 10:41:53 am by SydneyRover »
Interesting Glyn, he puts it all together.

It reinforces the thinking that frost/johnson are dealing with the negotiations in a piecemeal fashion.

What do you think selby?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #835 on September 07, 2020, 12:50:38 pm by selby »
  The bluster of both sides will go on down to the wire Syd, then there will be an agreement, if not I am not bothered at all, for anyone with money there will be an opportunity to make some more no matter how it goes.
  The big change will be in home workers and at the moment  that is fine being new and suits some people who have never done it before and hope to continue that way of working, but as soon as companies realise that remote working in let's say Mexborough is being done on X salary a year, can be done in Turkey just as well for a cheaper Y salary a year in a couple of years time will start to become a problem, and will rise up to top management.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #836 on September 07, 2020, 03:52:24 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Home working has f**k all to do with a trade deal with the EU. This is the bluster coming from you, I presume.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #837 on September 07, 2020, 04:56:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
  The bluster of both sides will go on down to the wire Syd, then there will be an agreement, if not I am not bothered at all, for anyone with money there will be an opportunity to make some more no matter how it goes.
  The big change will be in home workers and at the moment  that is fine being new and suits some people who have never done it before and hope to continue that way of working, but as soon as companies realise that remote working in let's say Mexborough is being done on X salary a year, can be done in Turkey just as well for a cheaper Y salary a year in a couple of years time will start to become a problem, and will rise up to top management.

That's been happening for years already. A friend of mine runs the New York office of a huge international engineering design consultancy. They've been farming out design work to the London and Manchester offices for years because we are miles cheaper than the New York rates, because of the Pound having collapsed in value.

On one hand, that's useful export income for the UK. But it's not really a sensible long-term national business plan. It means that we become second-raters. The handle-turners. No-one with serious ambition stays doing that. I've seen the hourly rates in NY and London and the difference is truly astounding. The NY office staff gently rip the piss out of the London office, calling it "our developing world branch". So British staff with ability and ambition do what my old mate has done - move to the offices in the States or elsewhere, where they can be the decision makers, not the low-paid lackeys.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #838 on September 07, 2020, 06:10:36 pm by selby »
  Glyn, I answered your question you look ahead you might make some real money.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #839 on September 07, 2020, 06:39:38 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
  Glyn, I answered your question you look ahead you might make some real money.

F**k me, you're so useless you don't even realise I didn't ask you anything.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012