Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:37:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: No Brexit Extension  (Read 92210 times)

BigH

• VSC Member
Re: No Brexit Extension
« Reply #90 on May 24, 2020, 06:20:51 am by BigH »
Yep, Brexit is indeed history. We left the EU on 31st January.

Yet there are those who think that it's still carrying on because we are in a trade negotiation with the EU.

That (negotiation) is an entirely separate matter. It's a predominantly commercial - not political - negotiation and is about getting the best possible deal with our closest trading partner. A deal that helps preserve the economy of this country and ensures prosperity for the UK going forward. That's a patriotic duty.

All Starmer has done is point out that the government has committed to getting a deal agreed by the end of this year. He'll hold them to that date. And he'll hold them to the quality of the deal that they negotiate.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on May 24, 2020, 10:01:20 am by SydneyRover »
They are of course only negotiating for second or third prize BH as having the same VIP card as a member is non negotiable and this has been known from the get go.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on May 27, 2020, 12:51:32 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
This is going to upset Selby.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52819126

The EU has got its shit together and has produced a massive rescue package to support Italy and Spain.

Very, very good news.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on May 27, 2020, 12:54:33 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
This is going to upset Selby.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52819126

The EU has got its shit together and has produced a massive rescue package to support Italy and Spain.

Very, very good news.

Nah, selby will paint that as Germany running other country's economies. :silly:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on May 27, 2020, 12:58:17 pm by selby »
  What do I say Glyn, not long before the shorting of the Euro starts then. Bide your time watch the markets and you can make a bob or two, it won't be long to wait.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on May 27, 2020, 12:59:52 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
  What do I say Glyn, not long before the shorting of the Euro starts then.

Can someone pin this message? So we can come back and check.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on May 27, 2020, 01:18:44 pm by BigH »
  What do I say Glyn, not long before the shorting of the Euro starts then. Bide your time watch the markets and you can make a bob or two, it won't be long to wait.
My money's on the pound being shorted way before the Euro!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on May 27, 2020, 01:50:16 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

When can we expect this to happen, oh wise one?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on May 27, 2020, 02:12:07 pm by selby »
  I can't understand this board, we have experts on Brexit, covid 19, the law and now money, and spend all your time on here telling everyone.
  Made a nice little earner on Barclays bought early April at 89p sold this morning a couple of tranches 119p I suppose the tax will go in the pot for you lot with nothing to do.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on May 27, 2020, 02:29:45 pm by IDM »
  I can't understand this board, we have experts on Brexit, covid 19, the law and now money, and spend all your time on here telling everyone.
  Made a nice little earner on Barclays bought early April at 89p sold this morning a couple of tranches 119p I suppose the tax will go in the pot for you lot with nothing to do.

You mean like folks like me on furlough.?  Folks like me who don’t yet know if we actually have a job in a few weeks time, with mortgages and families to support.?

Folks like me who have paid tax continuously since September 1987.?

f**k you Selby.!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on May 27, 2020, 02:53:56 pm by selby »
  I see Holland are loving this idea.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on May 27, 2020, 03:14:17 pm by IDM »
Selby if you apologise and retract your jibe I will amend my post above.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on May 27, 2020, 06:32:17 pm by selby »
  IDM, no need to amend anything I am not in the least offended and you can add it to the sizeable chunk of  dividends I chucked in at the beginning of April that were chucked into fight Covid 19.
  I am sorry to hear of your personal circumstances and anybody else caught up in it through no fault of their own, but if people want a pop expect one back.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on May 27, 2020, 07:00:49 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
#

You're the one telling us you're the expert on the demise of the EU and the Euro, nobody else.  Are you going to enlighten us about the timing of your prediction about the Euro anytime soon or are you just going to waffle and deflect again?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on May 27, 2020, 07:28:31 pm by IDM »
  IDM, no need to amend anything I am not in the least offended and you can add it to the sizeable chunk of  dividends I chucked in at the beginning of April that were chucked into fight Covid 19.
  I am sorry to hear of your personal circumstances and anybody else caught up in it through no fault of their own, but if people want a pop expect one back.

Disagreeing is one thing - you made it personal.  Yes you may not have known about my circumstances and I actually feel that I am very lucky to be able to benefit from furlough notwithstanding my worries about my job.  So the jibe about your few p of extra tax is something I find offensive.

For what it is worth I would not argue against a small increase in the income tax rate for a couple of years to help pay for this.  It could actually be a coup for the Tories - raise taxes for 2-3’years then cut them again in the run up to the next GE.

Mind you, the way they are going, that will come sooner than they want.!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on May 27, 2020, 07:48:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
IDM.

There absolutely shouldn't be ANY tax rises for a long while until we get a proper recovery going. (Except perhaps on the top rate of tax.) What Govt needs to do for the next 3 years is pour money into people's pockets, not take it out.

The political problem they have cuts both ways.

If they DON'T get the economy restarted, they are toast.

If they DO get the economy re-started, THEN it will be time for reduced spending and increased taxes. Just when an election is on the horizon.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on May 27, 2020, 07:58:10 pm by IDM »
I meant the principle of giving something back following my furlough, rather than a macro economic measure.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on May 27, 2020, 08:30:03 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
No I get that IDM. I'm just saying it's going to be a way off down the line.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on May 27, 2020, 08:36:09 pm by wilts rover »
IDM.

There absolutely shouldn't be ANY tax rises for a long while until we get a proper recovery going. (Except perhaps on the top rate of tax.) What Govt needs to do for the next 3 years is pour money into people's pockets, not take it out.

The political problem they have cuts both ways.

If they DON'T get the economy restarted, they are toast.

If they DO get the economy re-started, THEN it will be time for reduced spending and increased taxes. Just when an election is on the horizon.

Errr - look at the title of this thread. Would you care to revise your post on account of a further political 'difficulty' that may be awaiting down the line. 31st December 2020 to be exact.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on May 27, 2020, 08:44:35 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
You know what Wilts, I'd actually forgotten about that.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on May 27, 2020, 08:51:53 pm by wilts rover »
No probs Billy. Tell you what, do a quick Cummings and edit the post. No-one will know and I wont tell.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on May 27, 2020, 08:58:24 pm by IDM »
I saw a line on the bottom of the tv screen during the bbc coverage of the committee questioning Johnson today, where the EU would be happy to extend the brexit arrangements by two years.

I really cannot see why the government are hell bent on completing by the end of this year at a risk of a really bad deal, for want of an arbitrary date target.  Well I suspect they want a no deal after all.

And my view isn’t about opposition to brexit - we left in January so this is now about dotting Is and crossing Ts..

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on May 27, 2020, 09:49:14 pm by selby »
 Two years eh, quite a change from tic toc tic toc that was their mantra don't you think.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on May 27, 2020, 09:53:36 pm by IDM »
The eu was always open to the date changing - it is the uk government which set that arbitrary date.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on May 27, 2020, 09:55:39 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Two years would be smart and in everyone's best interests. It'll allow for the financial affects of coronavirus to die down.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on May 27, 2020, 09:56:54 pm by drfchound »
 :that:

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on May 27, 2020, 10:34:40 pm by idler »
Two years would certainly give us time to try to assemble a group of negotiators fit for purpose. something that's been beyond us so far.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #117 on May 27, 2020, 10:46:06 pm by SydneyRover »

Gamblers only tell you when they win  :)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on May 27, 2020, 10:49:19 pm by selby »
  Sydney, I am not a gambler.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on May 27, 2020, 11:50:28 pm by SydneyRover »
You shouldn't feel you have to big yourself up selby we're all the same on here

TinyPortal © 2005-2012