Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:05:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sadlier  (Read 5346 times)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
Sadlier
« on May 18, 2020, 09:50:49 am by Padge_DRFC »
Wonder if he's wishing he'd signed a deal when offered one now. Any further news on this. Personally hope stays.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Re: Sadlier
« Reply #1 on May 18, 2020, 09:59:34 am by ravenrover »
Who is to say he hasn't signed a deal? If he ison his way I would guess there would have been a deal sorted with a new club, personally I hope he stays

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 18, 2020, 10:04:34 am by NickDRFC »
There’s no way he would have signed a new deal with Rovers and it not be publicised by the club - any scrap of good news should be clung onto at the moment!

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 18, 2020, 11:24:14 am by phil old leake »
He’s on his way to the championship in my opinion
Hopefully he stays but I think clubs have been chasing him and his agent has probably been putting him in the shop window

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 18, 2020, 12:24:48 pm by tommy toes »
Don't think he's good enough for the Championship.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 18, 2020, 01:44:15 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I'm sure I read all contracts were on hold given the current situation?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 18, 2020, 02:18:41 pm by idler »
I don’t think that he’s a guaranteed top Championship player but I think he would hold his own. He has the potential to develop into a very consistent player as well. Maybe another season with us could help him develop  quicker than he might by moving up now to the wrong club. Fingers crossed that he’s happy with us and would like a longer stay.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 18, 2020, 02:23:32 pm by phil old leake »
He’s definitely a mid table championship player At times when I’ve seen him he’s looked very good and stood out

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 18, 2020, 04:28:33 pm by drfchound »
I agree with the above couple of comments.
Sadlier is a very good player, more than capable of doing well in the Championship.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 18, 2020, 04:37:05 pm by Draytonian III »
I suggested he might be leaving in early January, maybe for Humberside and got shot down like I was the anti-Christ

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 18, 2020, 04:56:25 pm by drfchound »
Draytonian, I have to agree with you there as I also thought he might be on his way to Hull.
A conversation with a certain someone confirmed to me that he wasn’t though.

ss1953

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 20, 2020, 09:46:04 am by ss1953 »
Why would he want to play in the same league as us?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 20, 2020, 12:18:03 pm by selby »
ss1953, he may have to contend with a completely new manager shortly after he signed as well.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 20, 2020, 02:58:51 pm by Jonathan »
I expect he’ll have more options than Hull. Goalscoring wide players will be in demand and he’ll be in the enviable position of having options at an otherwise difficult time for footballers. If, as I understand is the case, we didn’t offer an improved contract then I don’t begrudge him moving on to test himself at a higher level. It would be a shame though, as I enjoy watching him play and he’s only going to get better with more experience and development.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 20, 2020, 03:28:50 pm by phil old leake »
He’s probably also thinking about a potential international call up if he can perform in the championship
Good luck to the lad if he moves he will be hard to replace

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 20, 2020, 05:24:07 pm by selby »
  Jonathan, I have no problem with any player improving himself when he has completed his contract with us, but would question whether Hull City are a step up with their owners.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 20, 2020, 05:38:11 pm by Jonathan »
  Jonathan, I have no problem with any player improving himself when he has completed his contract with us, but would question whether Hull City are a step up with their owners.

I’m sure Hull will be interested, but I doubt he’ll be going there.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 21, 2020, 04:16:06 pm by Chris Black come back »
He’s probably also thinking about a potential international call up if he can perform in the championship
Good luck to the lad if he moves he will be hard to replace

That sounds about right. He will have to balance the need to be playing regularly though. Competition in Championships will be more intense (exclusive of whatever restrictions might or not be introduced) so if he is sat on his arsefor weeks on end, he would be much better playing every game in League One, if we wants international recognition

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 22, 2020, 09:46:26 am by Padge_DRFC »
One of those players we need to offer a 3 year deal and bag 2 million in a transfer fee down the line

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 22, 2020, 09:54:06 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
One of those players we need to offer a 3 year deal and bag 2 million in a transfer fee down the line

I would be surprised if there is much in the way of transfer fees for some time. If you're a club with a model to sell players to finance like say Barnsley you'd be very worried.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 22, 2020, 11:26:40 am by bedale rover »
If there is a contract offer on the table from DRFC maybe it's time to snatch their hands off?

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 22, 2020, 11:51:57 am by DRNaith »
If there is a contract offer on the table from DRFC maybe it's time to snatch their hands off?

I don't think that it would be a good idea for the club to be taking on any further liabilities at this time, so I wonder if the offer is still "one the table"

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 22, 2020, 03:55:31 pm by Jonathan »

Good players will continue to attract interest even in these circumstances, so I don’t think Sadlier will be in the position of just having to accept anything. Sadly I think if we’d offered an improved contract initially (like we did for others) then he’d have been tied down now. But that’s not the case so I’d say it’s likely he’ll be able to exercise a choice in where he moves to. If anything you could argue that now is the time for in demand players to get to the Championship if talk of the imposition of a salary cap in leagues one and two is correct.

Our very low base of contracted players has probably turned out to be a good thing for the club until we need to start thinking of lining up for an eleven-a-side again.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 04:12:55 pm by Jonathan »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 22, 2020, 06:19:48 pm by Chris Black come back »
Good player and would rather we kept him, but you do get the feeling he is off. Who knows though. He has proved plenty wrong so far after going backwards to Ireland to rebuild his career with great success, but he might lack a few yards of pace to make it above League One. Will see, he clearly is a focused lad.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on May 22, 2020, 07:10:38 pm by silent majority »

Good players will continue to attract interest even in these circumstances, so I don’t think Sadlier will be in the position of just having to accept anything. Sadly I think if we’d offered an improved contract initially (like we did for others) then he’d have been tied down now. But that’s not the case so I’d say it’s likely he’ll be able to exercise a choice in where he moves to. If anything you could argue that now is the time for in demand players to get to the Championship if talk of the imposition of a salary cap in leagues one and two is correct.

Our very low base of contracted players has probably turned out to be a good thing for the club until we need to start thinking of lining up for an eleven-a-side again.

Jonathan, I'm always intrigued as to when clubs should draw the line when offering better terms  for players to extend their contracts. I get the impression from reading your post (and this isn't the 1st time you've made this point) that we didn't offer enough for Sadlier to extend his stay, and then you go on to say that if we had he would have (you think) stayed.

You also suggest that we should have improved the offer 'like we did for others'. Really? Without knowing the ins and outs of contract offers then who's to say whether we reached the limit of our wage cap, and we have no idea of knowing how that offer fits with the rest of the squad.

We have a budget ( and I appreciate this will all change for next season) that we have to make sure that what we pay players fits within this, otherwise other players will have to leave or accept reduced terms. Do you think this particular player, and not knowing what the offer was, is right to insist on an improved offer? Should we just keep offering more money until the players we really like just sign up?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 22, 2020, 08:30:35 pm by Jonathan »

Jonathan, I'm always intrigued as to when clubs should draw the line when offering better terms  for players to extend their contracts. I get the impression from reading your post (and this isn't the 1st time you've made this point) that we didn't offer enough for Sadlier to extend his stay, and then you go on to say that if we had he would have (you think) stayed.

You also suggest that we should have improved the offer 'like we did for others'. Really? Without knowing the ins and outs of contract offers then who's to say whether we reached the limit of our wage cap, and we have no idea of knowing how that offer fits with the rest of the squad.

We have a budget ( and I appreciate this will all change for next season) that we have to make sure that what we pay players fits within this, otherwise other players will have to leave or accept reduced terms. Do you think this particular player, and not knowing what the offer was, is right to insist on an improved offer? Should we just keep offering more money until the players we really like just sign up?

I do feel he justified improved terms, yes. Obviously I don’t know the club’s budget, and I accept it’s important that the club doesn’t break its budget, I don’t think that was under question here. It’s for those leading the contract negotiations to determine how they manoeuvre within this budget but we as fans are all entitled to our opinions on who our important players are. You’d be right in your conclusion that I believe Sadlier, as our top scorer and one of our top assist makers, justified an offer of improved terms.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 22, 2020, 10:37:34 pm by Chris Black come back »
Don’t know anything beyond the average Joe but it is pretty much impossible to think we have not made an offer of improved terms, especially given we signed him initially from what is basically semi-pro league. It may not be sufficiently improved for him, but hard to think the terms were not an improvement on the initial short-term 18 month deal we gave him as a route back to pro football in England.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 23, 2020, 10:16:53 am by silent majority »

I do feel he justified improved terms, yes. Obviously I don’t know the club’s budget, and I accept it’s important that the club doesn’t break its budget, I don’t think that was under question here. It’s for those leading the contract negotiations to determine how they manoeuvre within this budget but we as fans are all entitled to our opinions on who our important players are. You’d be right in your conclusion that I believe Sadlier, as our top scorer and one of our top assist makers, justified an offer of improved terms.

The point I'm making though Jonathan is that unless you know what the improved terms were, what his demands were, and how that fits with the overall budget you cannot stress that he justified improved terms to the level that he demanded.

If we paid every player what they think they are worth then we would be out of business as soon as any hiccup came along, like a pandemic for example! We have to safeguard the future of this club, if that means not meeting certain wage demands then so be it.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 23, 2020, 11:18:13 am by godlike1 »

The point I'm making though Jonathan is that unless you know what the improved terms were, what his demands were, and how that fits with the overall budget you cannot stress that he justified improved terms to the level that he demanded.

If we paid every player what they think they are worth then we would be out of business as soon as any hiccup came along, like a pandemic for example! We have to safeguard the future of this club, if that means not meeting certain wage demands then so be it.

I think that this is an impossible topic to agree on. We all want the club to show passion, ambition to get promoted again and keeping those who are considered our better players along the way by putting offers in that reflect that. On the other hand we don't want the club to dissappear out of all existence aka Bury because of living beyond our means (which we seem to do anyway going by the last set of accounts)

For me the key is getting the youth set up and under 23 system to start producing 1st team regulars, add a smattering of experience amongst that aka Blair and copps along with some a smattering of loans from the top leagues.

The frustration for me for a long time is that the model which I think the club is aiming for is taking far far far too long to deliver

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 23, 2020, 12:01:41 pm by phil old leake »
I agree with that Godlike

I just think that we and other clubs go on about development of you players and putting them into the first team squad but it doesn’t seem to work

Every time a so called player comes through they very rarely seem to make it

Apart from Crewe who do it on a regular basis I’d be very surprised if there were 50 players in the top 4 divisions who have come through the youth ranks into the first team

It’s such a shame that it doesn’t work. 

TinyPortal © 2005-2012