Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:41:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Squad of 20  (Read 4251 times)

graingrover

• VSC Member
Squad of 20
« on May 20, 2020, 08:47:36 pm by graingrover »
If the EFL were indeed to limit the squad to 20 players of which 8 were are  be from the club’s own academy then I think we are talking about a real new world and  I approve 100%.
It might take three years to build a squad to compete towards the top end of League One but how healthier football would be .Look through our current crop and all of a sudden the youngsters there can have real hope .

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ss1953

• VSC Member
Re: Squad of 20
« Reply #1 on May 20, 2020, 10:23:18 pm by ss1953 »
I wrote this in another thread a week ago:

Clubs are leaking money because they have over paid players for the last decade.
Perhaps now sensible wages will be paid.
A salary cap is entirely justified on both financial and sporting grounds.

No club would be bust if they hadn't paid players more than their income

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 21, 2020, 08:59:29 am by keith79 »
Dint we introduce a wage cap a couple of years ago

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 21, 2020, 09:58:32 am by IDM »
I think that lower division clubs are limited by FFP rules to their player wage budget being a certain percentage of the revenue.?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 21, 2020, 10:08:18 am by drfchound »

It was just before McCann moved on.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 21, 2020, 10:58:54 am by phil old leake »
Just a throw it out question

How legally binding would having 8 home grown players be.

How would it work. Would every club have to agree or can the league committee impose it.

Would it not have implications for employment laws etc

I’m all in favour of it I think it’s a great idea.

I’d personally take it a bit further and have a minimum of home grown players in every match day squad

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 21, 2020, 11:59:55 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Just a throw it out question

How legally binding would having 8 home grown players be.

How would it work. Would every club have to agree or can the league committee impose it.

Would it not have implications for employment laws etc

I’m all in favour of it I think it’s a great idea.

I’d personally take it a bit further and have a minimum of home grown players in every match day squad

Let's be right, unlikely many would be home grown. Clubs would hoover up as much available talent, as they are now to an extent.

Got to be careful of employment laws and not tieing the managers hand behind his back too much when it comes to selection.

Don't forget also, there will be crops of young loanees available from prem/championship clubs too. Quite often this is a cost effective way of bolstering squads so you wouldn't want to deny clubs this option. Maybe tweak the number of loans permitted.

Lower league clubs need all the help they can get. I can see the merit in limiting Prem squads as they do now, which supports the loan system and the talent that drifts down to find their level.

A total limit of 20 would struggle to get any team through a season unless they're extremely lucky with injuries.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 21, 2020, 12:21:54 pm by silent majority »
I think that lower division clubs are limited by FFP rules to their player wage budget being a certain percentage of the revenue.?

Yes that's right.

But as a cap it didn't work very well if certain clubs wanted to flout the rules they could find ways around that. Under the new rules, if brought in, there will be a wage cap of £2.5m in LG1 irrespective of turnover.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 21, 2020, 12:25:00 pm by silent majority »

We've had a wage cap for a number of years, but I think it was mentioned prior to McCann moving on because certain people wanted to discredit the club for their own benefit. If you remember DF did the same before he 'moved' on.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 21, 2020, 12:25:58 pm by IDM »

Yes that's right.

But as a cap it didn't work very well if certain clubs wanted to flout the rules they could find ways around that. Under the new rules, if brought in, there will be a wage cap of £2.5m in LG1 irrespective of turnover.

Yes that would be fair across the board..

Aren’t there cases of club owners’ companies “sponsoring” things at their football clubs for ridiculous sums to get around ffp.?

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 21, 2020, 12:46:45 pm by EasyforDennis »
Not being political just asking the question. Couldn't employment laws change once we are 100% out of the EU?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 21, 2020, 12:54:57 pm by idler »
Doesn't the Fleetwood owner rent an office at their ground?

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 21, 2020, 01:08:41 pm by knockers »

Yes that's right.

125K each for the 20 player proposal then

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 21, 2020, 01:43:50 pm by Draytonian III »
£2403 a week

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 21, 2020, 01:44:23 pm by Chris Black come back »
Don’t know about the Keepmoat naming rights - but if you look at the Keepmoat Stadium story, then we (John Ryan) played a blinder here and the Council (and Council Tax payers locally) have effectively subsidised us. We have a brand new stadium costing £32m that we did not have to pay to build and we now pay a fixed £100,000 a year to rent for a century. This is an unreal deal that has financially benefitted Rovers massively and has been an indirect subsidy to us from taxpayers.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 21, 2020, 02:13:43 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Yes that's right.

125K each for the 20 player proposal then

There'll obviously be some on more than that and some on less. That's just the average.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 21, 2020, 02:23:33 pm by since-1969 »
If the EFL were indeed to limit the squad to 20 players of which 8 were are  be from the club’s own academy then I think we are talking about a real new world and  I approve 100%.
It might take three years to build a squad to compete towards the top end of League One but how healthier football would be .Look through our current crop and all of a sudden the youngsters there can have real hope .
So where does under 21 etc fit into this !

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 21, 2020, 02:48:08 pm by Lifelong supporter »

We've had a wage cap for a number of years, but I think it was mentioned prior to McCann moving on because certain people wanted to discredit the club for their own benefit. If you remember DF did the same before he 'moved' on.

I think I must have missed this.
Could you tell us when we first introduced a wage cap, and also when it was first publicly announced?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 21, 2020, 03:01:26 pm by silent majority »

I think I must have missed this.
Could you tell us when we first introduced a wage cap, and also when it was first publicly announced?

Who said it was publicly announced?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 21, 2020, 08:44:44 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

Actually this could be a disaster for such as the youth in our club, pretty much certain unemployment for most, more so with the change in the competitiveness with the U23 competition devalued. The bottom line is less places, so less work.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 21, 2020, 08:54:33 pm by DonnyOsmond »
You can't have it just to only 20 players. That'll surely not include youth.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 21, 2020, 09:00:57 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
You can't have it just to only 20 players. That'll surely not include youth.
It wouldn't include all youth, but it would include those on professional contracts - unless some kind of extra clause is in place.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 21, 2020, 09:02:22 pm by graingrover »
It is the first team squad that is possibly subject to this limitation not the whole club .

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 21, 2020, 09:04:58 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Guess it boils down to definitions here. Either way, many players will be shunted down the leagues with all the knock on effects of that, and so many losing out financially.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 21, 2020, 10:39:11 pm by Alan Southstand »
A squad of 20 plus loans would be about right.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 22, 2020, 01:33:14 am by silent majority »
A squad of 20 plus loans would be about right.

It’s a squad of 20 including loans.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 22, 2020, 08:07:02 am by graingrover »
If EFL were now to stipulate whether or not this is to be in the regulations and whether or not there is to be a regulated salary cap ..we could begin planning the future both for  the club and all players .

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 22, 2020, 09:33:05 am by DRNaith »

Yet neither mentioned it as an issue when they joined...

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 22, 2020, 09:57:12 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
A lot of pro footballers may not be pro footballers for much longer.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 22, 2020, 10:02:23 am by DonnyOsmond »
A lot of pro footballers may not be pro footballers for much longer.

Yep. Not sure if this ruling affects the Championship or just L1 and L2 but you'd probably see the quality of players filter down the leagues as teams wont keep hold of 25+ players. There'll be a lot going down into non-league.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012