Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:28:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Our U23’s  (Read 2817 times)

graingrover

• VSC Member
Our U23’s
« on May 22, 2020, 10:47:29 pm by graingrover »
if we have to include 8 home grown players in our first team squad from next season who are they to be .I don’t have the chance to watch their games and would love to hear the views of those who watch them and can judge .

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: Our U23’s
« Reply #1 on May 23, 2020, 06:58:43 am by DonnyOsmond »
Sounds like from what I read on the Free Press site homegrown is just registered in the England or Wales for 3 years before they're 21. Which I think all of ours are.

WHAT ELSE IS BEING PROPOSED?

It has been reported that clubs will be asked to vote on whether or not to limit squad sizes to 20 senior players - those aged 21 or over.

Within that 20, it is suggested that eight should be 'homegrown' players. Current EFL 'homegrown' regulations state a player should have been registered with his current club or another club affiliated to the FA or Welsh FA for three or more seasons prior to their 21st birthday. 'Homegrown' is a different category to 'club developed' players.

Clubs are currently obliged to name seven 'homegrown' players in any matchday squad.

Further to the proposed new squad restrictions, and with the goal of driving youth development, there would be no restriction on the number of players aged 20 or under in a squad.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 23, 2020, 07:49:22 am by graingrover »
So from that I deduce that‘ homegrown ‘is to prioritise national interests rather than community / local homegrown talent .
I also deduce from the way the EFL is managing all this that there is no single nor even collective leadership being asserted  .A herd of sheep without either a shepherd or sheepdog .

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 23, 2020, 07:53:40 am by DonnyOsmond »
So from that I deduce that‘ homegrown ‘is to prioritise national interests rather than community / local homegrown talent .
I also deduce from the way the EFL is managing all this that there is no single nor even collective leadership being asserted  .A herd of sheep without either a shepherd or sheepdog .

I think it's a bit of both. After a couple injuries due to the 20 man squad limit you'll have youth teamers in the squad.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 23, 2020, 08:28:57 am by drfchound »

EFL and leadership.
LoL.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 23, 2020, 09:02:01 am by graingrover »
Leadership ...look how football is ´lead’ starting from FIFA down .Sporting values are barely accommodated since the sport became the world’s most convenient vehicle for financial magnates In which to invest ill begotten gains .
I see the Newcastle takeover by the Saudi Sovereign fund went through unopposed .You will not get many Geordies  playing in that squad for sure .Wor Jackie Milburn ..they were the days my friend .

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 23, 2020, 10:25:22 am by Alan Southstand »
I think our u18’s and u23’s could well come into contention for renewed contracts, depending on how we, as a Club, come out of all this, financially. In summary, the u23’s look like this:

Goalkeeper

Louis Jones
Supplemented with u18’s
Kian Johnson

Triallists

Defenders
Branden Horton
Rian McClean
Shane Blaney
Danny Amos
Supplemented with u18’s Elliott Walker (rb) and Ben Blythe (cb)

Triallists

Midfielders

AJ Greaves
Supplemented with u18’s
Lirak Hasani
Will McGowan

Triallists

Forwards

Myron Gibbons
Rieves Boocock
Max Watters
Supplemented with u18’s
Junior Smith
Jack Watson

Triallists

Then, when you consider the list of Players out of contract:

Devante Cole ........ if extension not agreed
Louis Jones *
Matty Blair
James Coppinger
Alex Kiwomya
Danny Amos *
Max Watters *
Shane Blaney *
Rian McClean *
Kieran Sadlier
Myron Gibbons *
Alex Baptiste
Rieves Boocock *
AJ Greaves *

You can see that nearly the entire u23’s would be wiped out, if contracts were not renewed. Personally, I can see some of them being retained, for example AJ Greaves, Danny Amos, Max Watters and possibly Louis Jones, but the rest would have to be fortunate. Hasani and Horton have another year, so they’d be ok.

Of the u18’s, Ben Blythe looks to be a promising lad and could end up replacing Shane Blaney (if he’s not retained). The others well worth a mention are Kian Johnson, Elliott Walker, Will McGowan, Junior Smith and Jack Watson. Other lads I can’t, in all fairness, critique as I havn’t seen them enough to judge.

Hope that gives you a ‘heads up’, Graing.

I should also add that Selby could enlighten you further with the possibility of some of the successful u16 side getting promoted to the u18’s next season.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:30:05 am by Alan Southstand »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 23, 2020, 12:10:40 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Just to add on what I posted earlier. This is from the BBC. So there's some on confusion on what homegrown entails.

If approved, it would mean only 20 senior professionals at each club, with eight homegrown players - those produced from the club's academy system - within that group.

CGJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 25, 2020, 08:15:05 am by CGJ »
Will there even be an U23 team considering the current situation?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 25, 2020, 10:34:50 am by selby »
  As far as I know within new situations that are yet to develop, such as boarding players with families which could be a problem under the present restrictions of people coming into the house who are not family, things are being put in place to carry on as near as possible when appropriate.
  Certainly the lads who were contracted to the age groups were contacted with programmes for fitness and exorcise, ball control etc, so they were as near to being ready when things start up again and trialist's whose trials were interrupted were contacted and told when possible when things start up they will be brought in again. The club were up front and good in that respect.
  Of course financially looking from the outside things could change and the senior teams would get preference I would have thought, but the club junior set up has come a long way with great people involved and the standard is improving dramatically and I think it would have to be something dramatic and out of the clubs control to alter anything.
  As I said the club have tried to be professional and keep the lads in the loop, so when things get going again it will be back to normal as near and as soon as possible.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 25, 2020, 12:18:40 pm by graingrover »
Thanks AS and all .You do not mention Boocock Alan ?He had knocked in lots of goals but as always it requires temperament and I don’t know the lad at all .

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 25, 2020, 03:54:16 pm by Alan Southstand »
As regards Boocock, I like what I’ve seen with him, especially when he played at u18 level. He definitely had something. The trouble with him, I suspect, is that he seems to have found the step up to u23 level difficult. I would add that is not all his fault, as subsequent loan-outs didn’t do him any favours, as, from my understanding, he never played in his best position (striker).

The nearest (well known) player he reminded me of was Michael Owen, because in stature, he was similar and he was a good little finisher. Since his u18’s days, I don’t think he’s been given the chance to show people what he’s good at. However, that said, there has been better qualified and experienced guys deciding whether he’s good enough, or not.

If he gets moved on, good luck to him.

Adwick Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 25, 2020, 05:36:21 pm by Adwick Rover »
I agree with most of that Alan but I don’t think it”s the step up to the 23s that’s  the problem as he played for them last season and did well.

He’s not been given much of a chance this season as he has spent most nof it out on loan at Frickley, Sheffield FC and Cleethorpes. He was due to sta rt a lan spell with Tadcaster unto the virus hit.

His chances for the 23s have been limited to 20-30mins sub appearances and when he’s come on he’s made an impact and scored a few. In the couple of games he has started for the 23s he’s been out of position.

He’s fighting with Waters for a place on the bench and at this point Waters is ahead of him.

Whether he stays or goes at the end of the season is down to management but I understand has had a lot of interest elsewhere if the club doesn’t renew his contract.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 25, 2020, 06:44:27 pm by Alan Southstand »
That’s good to learn Adwick. I agree with your summation and that’s what I meant about being given a chance to show what he’s good at.

It just appears to me that there must be something missing from his game, as 2 managers have seemingly passed him by. I think both managers have prefered physical specimens up top and, of course, Rieves isn’t that.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 25, 2020, 07:14:50 pm by Draytonian III »
I think the management past and present have sometimes been scared of playing some youth team players especially up front , they tend to bring in trial or short term contract players. It’s not just a Rovers thing other teams do it as well, if these players were any good they wouldn’t be without a club. Think of the long term advantages by having a few players come through the juniors.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 26, 2020, 02:40:21 pm by Chris Black come back »
Been a few given a chance and actually score the odd early goal. Thinking of Fairhurst and Jordan Ball. Never seem to be given much more of a chance though.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 26, 2020, 04:15:51 pm by graingrover »
It’s a shame Longbottom has not fulfilled the early promise he showed ( again according  to reports I read ) before his run of injuries .I shall always remember that brave headed goal v Leeeds u 23 .

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 26, 2020, 04:56:47 pm by RedRover45 »
It’s a shame Longbottom has not fulfilled the early promise he showed ( again according  to reports I read ) before his run of injuries .I shall always remember that brave headed goal v Leeeds u 23 .

Think it was against Derby

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 26, 2020, 06:12:23 pm by Draytonian III »
Longbottom is playing for Waterford now ( well he is when the season restarts again )

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 26, 2020, 07:28:01 pm by drfchound »
Good luck to him.
Going over there helped Sadlier to improve.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 27, 2020, 10:24:43 am by The Red Baron »
My understanding is that Gibbons and Boocock were both told that they would not be offered new contracts. The rest I'm not sure about but I would think Jones, Greaves, Amos, Watters and possibly Blaney have a good chance of being kept on.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 27, 2020, 03:46:56 pm by Dutch Uncle »
My understanding is that Gibbons and Boocock were both told that they would not be offered new contracts. The rest I'm not sure about but I would think Jones, Greaves, Amos, Watters and possibly Blaney have a good chance of being kept on.

Checking DoB's, Jones, Watters and Blaney will be over 21 in August 2020 - does that mean they would have to count as 3 of our 20 'Senior' professionals?

Amos will still be under 21, as will Horten, Gibbons, Boocock, Greaves and Hasani.

By the way, if we are limited to 20 (or some other number) senior professionals, what is the situation on 'Non-Contract players', or even 'Short Term Contract' players?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 27, 2020, 06:06:27 pm by Alan Southstand »
Wouldn’t they be part of the u23 set-up? However to be part of that, they would need some sort of ‘contract’.

I have already said that 20 is very low, for a first team squad, and, according to SM, that 20 would include loans. So, if we follow a similar pattern to last season, we could well have 5 loans which only leaves room for 15 of our own first team players. We’re already at 11, but that includes Horton and Hasani and that isn’t including Sadlier, Copps, Blair and Devante Cole (as his contract could be over).

It doesn’t quite add up, to me, and I can see the u23 idea being mothballed if we are restricted to just 20 pro’s. DM laid down his blueprint for the u23’s for next season and he wanted it to be much stronger, where any one of the lads playing in that squad could and should be able to step up into the first team. Either that blueprint will have to be binned, or there’s some wriggle room for ‘development’ players.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 06:30:13 pm by Alan Southstand »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012