Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:09:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

How should this season finish

Play out the season when practical, behind closed doors
24 (18%)
Finish now - use current positions to determine tiitle, top 3 go up, bottom 3 go down
31 (23.3%)
Unweigted PPG - top 2 go up, play offs for 3rd promotion, 3 go down
16 (12%)
Weighted home and away PPG - then as above
19 (14.3%)
Void the season - appearance and goal records to stand, no promotions or relegations, start afresh next time
28 (21.1%)
Here’s 20p - go phone someone who gives a damn
8 (6%)
 when it’s clearly safe to do so, start the next full 44/46 game season with a starting total of the points that the team had at the end of this truncated season
7 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author Topic: League One Conclusion  (Read 4973 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
League One Conclusion
« on May 23, 2020, 09:18:37 pm by IDM »
Another poster asked if there could be a poll to see how we think the season should end in League One.  Hope this works.!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: League One Conclusion
« Reply #1 on May 23, 2020, 09:19:34 pm by drfchound »
I think there are only two actual options anyway.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 23, 2020, 09:20:51 pm by IDM »
The idea is to get folks’ opinions regardless.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 23, 2020, 09:21:32 pm by drfchound »
Could you add another option then.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 23, 2020, 09:25:21 pm by IDM »
Yes, which is.?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 23, 2020, 09:26:28 pm by drfchound »
Not trying to be disruptive here but “don’t care anymore” is my choice now.
I’m just brassed off with it all.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 23, 2020, 09:28:44 pm by IDM »
If you wish - or if you don’t care, don’t vote!

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 23, 2020, 09:56:08 pm by karldew »
Play out the season when practical, behind closed doors

If that’s not possible, null and void.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 23, 2020, 10:14:09 pm by keith79 »
If the season is cancelled will bolton start next seson with point deducted  and will bury be allowed back in.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 23, 2020, 10:28:33 pm by BigH »
Yes, which is.?
I'd support those in the automatic promotion spots going up.

The bottom two in the Premiership, Championship and L1 would be relegated.

The bottom team in L2 would be replaced by the top team in the National League.

Play offs cancelled; they're a lottery anyway. And anyone who would dare to argue that they would stay up from a bottom two position would be talking b***ocks.

Job done.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 23, 2020, 10:42:49 pm by selby »
  Any promotion or relegation from the Premier League to the Championship if the Championship do not complete their fixtures and the Premiership do will end up with Legal action from one set of clubs or the other.
  Both will have to complete their fixtures without disruption if they restart for it to end without a court case.
   I see the Italian owner of Weeds is talking about a Premiership2 division again and cutting League 1 and 2 adrift again.
   Seems like a chap never to miss a chance of kicking people when they are down.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:48:01 pm by selby »

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 23, 2020, 11:05:13 pm by BigH »
Yep, that's a fair caveat Selby.

If any one league completes its fixtures then all bets are off.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 24, 2020, 06:29:48 am by Donnywolf »
For me the only "totally" fair way for supporters to get "closure" on the Season is to play it out whenever that is posssible

In that was every game is played to a finish and was in the hands of the Players (of the supporters Teams) themselves rather than in the hands of the officials of Leagues and Clubs with all the different and arbitrary methods of finishing the Season off

However even that method is far from perfect and Owners and or Directors of the Clubs might neccessarily have a totally different outlook and pragmatism might be needed in the face of the pressures of commercial interests

I always go back to the Charlton (rained off game) where to this day people on here still hold the view that that result "cost us"

I dont share that view because there was no way to know if we might have lost the original game anyway and without all Teams playing out their fixtures this time around there may be lots of Teams going down who would still have that feeling of "being done" and likewise many Teams denied potential promotion who will feel they have "been done" too IF the games are not actually played out in full

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 24, 2020, 09:10:13 am by keith79 »
I think we should finish this season (play the games) and start next season in November or December. Next season Cancel all cup competition. Play Only league games. Saturday,Wednesday, Sunday.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 09:13:58 am by keith79 »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 24, 2020, 09:18:16 am by Chris Black come back »
I voted for weighted home and away ppg. Seems the best of a bad bunch. The play offs might attract decent TV viewing so for those teams they at least get to wash their face financially to play these limited number of games. For rest of us - feet up and prepare for next season.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 24, 2020, 09:49:19 am by RedRover45 »
Don’t know if anybody else has considered this option or if I’m just thinking outside the box ?
What if, when it’s clearly safe to do so, start the next full 44/46 game season with a starting total of the points that the team had at the end of this truncated season. Nobody gets promoted or relegated from this season but they have an acquired advantage from the games already played. The teams near the bottom have ample opportunity to get themselves out of the problem they are in by the next 44/46 games and teams near the top have an acquired advantage but still have work to do to earn promotion.
No-one can say they haven’t been given the chance and no team is having to spend money they don’t need to. We can then think about football only when it’s safe to do so.
Call the season 2019/2021 if it sits easier.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 24, 2020, 10:04:16 am by IDM »
It’s a reasonable idea, but at the moment not every team has played the same amount of games, and some will have had the opportunity to play the weaker sides twice, and others the stronger sides twice, and vice versa.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 24, 2020, 10:04:53 am by idler »
This massively favours the richer clubs though. They can spend far more than a team that has stretched to be where they are now but don't have the finances to strengthen for a new full season.
We are where we are this season with the current squad of players. Starting next season with a different squad will give different results.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 24, 2020, 10:22:51 am by RedRover45 »
It’s a reasonable idea, but at the moment not every team has played the same amount of games, and some will have had the opportunity to play the weaker sides twice, and others the stronger sides twice, and vice versa.

I’m sure it wouldn’t be difficult to iron out the one or two game difference that exists somehow providing the rules are laid out and agreed by every team with 9 months notice.
There isn’t a 100% ideal scenario so things like who’s played who in the 35/36 games played so far would have to be an incidental minor detail.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 24, 2020, 10:30:10 am by silent majority »
I'm not sure why we've options that won't happen, it's not on the table for various options so why does our opinion really count? Without the ins and outs of the financial constraints, budget deficits, future funds going forward, contract liabilities and the options of losing numerous members of staff then we can't really offer an opinion that matters.

The clubs have had to consider all of the above and to try to steer their individual clubs through this mess and hopefully come out the other side intact if not the same. I've yet to see most supporters appreciate just how perilous the situation is. It's mission critical for some already.

The good news is that the EPL have finally agreed that they have to play a bigger part going forward.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 24, 2020, 10:31:43 am by drfchound »
Interesting that the most expensive, to the clubs, option of playing out the season behind closed doors is currently leading the vote.
Our own club manager has said he wants to end the season straight away but our own fans want the opposite.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 24, 2020, 10:35:47 am by RedRover45 »
IDM

Would you mind humouring me and adding my suggestion to the list of options please. I’d be interested in what people think. Cheers.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 24, 2020, 10:42:11 am by IDM »
IDM

Would you mind humouring me and adding my suggestion to the list of options please. I’d be interested in what people think. Cheers.

Done.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 24, 2020, 10:45:06 am by IDM »
I'm not sure why we've options that won't happen, it's not on the table for various options so why does our opinion really count? Without the ins and outs of the financial constraints, budget deficits, future funds going forward, contract liabilities and the options of losing numerous members of staff then we can't really offer an opinion that matters.

The clubs have had to consider all of the above and to try to steer their individual clubs through this mess and hopefully come out the other side intact if not the same. I've yet to see most supporters appreciate just how perilous the situation is. It's mission critical for some already.

The good news is that the EPL have finally agreed that they have to play a bigger part going forward.

I put up the poll because another poster asked for one.

I included the options I could think of, whether they are still on the table or not, practical or not, simply to facilitate the other poster’s request to see what the opinions were.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on May 24, 2020, 10:46:30 am by Glyn_Wigley »

I don't care anymore either, as long as the clubs reach an agreement themselves. But how will we know how many people feel like me and hound if we just don't vote and there's no record of it?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 24, 2020, 10:51:08 am by IDM »

I don't care anymore either, as long as the clubs reach an agreement themselves. But how will we know how many people feel like me and hound if we just don't vote and there's no record of it?

This is only a forum poll, it’s not binding on anything and as SM points out, some options can’t or won’t happen.

There is a don’t care option anyway.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 24, 2020, 11:11:30 am by silent majority »

I put up the poll because another poster asked for one.

I included the options I could think of, whether they are still on the table or not, practical or not, simply to facilitate the other poster’s request to see what the opinions were.

Fair enough.

Personally, my heart says resume the current season, but my head says that would be disastrous and would endanger the club putting us in a situation we may never recover from.

For that reason I can't vote at all.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 24, 2020, 11:14:55 am by IDM »
Ok no worries.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 24, 2020, 11:39:39 am by phil old leake »
I’d opt for void it full stop

I’m also with drfchound. I’m bored of it and find it difficult to understand why there is a league committee if it’s not going to make decisions

The idea of a management committee is to take into account the opinion of its members (which i would like to think has happened ) assess all the information and make a decision

That’s what they are there for.  This has dragged on to the benefit of no one. 

That’s why I believe in voiding full stop or deciding to play it out before a certain date No matter which other way it’s decided someone somewhere will have their face put out and have good reason to complain and challenge

But for gods sake sort this mess out

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 24, 2020, 11:49:27 am by RedRover45 »
IDM

Done.

Thank you

TinyPortal © 2005-2012