Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:40:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

How should this season finish

Play out the season when practical, behind closed doors
24 (18%)
Finish now - use current positions to determine tiitle, top 3 go up, bottom 3 go down
31 (23.3%)
Unweigted PPG - top 2 go up, play offs for 3rd promotion, 3 go down
16 (12%)
Weighted home and away PPG - then as above
19 (14.3%)
Void the season - appearance and goal records to stand, no promotions or relegations, start afresh next time
28 (21.1%)
Here’s 20p - go phone someone who gives a damn
8 (6%)
 when it’s clearly safe to do so, start the next full 44/46 game season with a starting total of the points that the team had at the end of this truncated season
7 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author Topic: League One Conclusion  (Read 4977 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: League One Conclusion
« Reply #30 on May 24, 2020, 12:52:59 pm by silent majority »
I’d opt for void it full stop

I’m also with drfchound. I’m bored of it and find it difficult to understand why there is a league committee if it’s not going to make decisions

The idea of a management committee is to take into account the opinion of its members (which i would like to think has happened ) assess all the information and make a decision

That’s what they are there for.  This has dragged on to the benefit of no one. 

That’s why I believe in voiding full stop or deciding to play it out before a certain date No matter which other way it’s decided someone somewhere will have their face put out and have good reason to complain and challenge

But for gods sake sort this mess out

It's a members organisation.

They listen to the views of their members, they provide recommendations, and then the members vote.

They are currently allowing the members to consider the recommendations and will vote next week, by a simple majority, on the two alternatives. There hasn't been a desperate rush to reach this point, and the hope was always to restart the season, but we're at a point where a decision needs to be made.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 24, 2020, 12:59:42 pm by since-1969 »
There a more important issues with regards to football going forward that need addressing NOW . Mainly how many clubs will be able to start a new season if restrictions are still in place .

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on May 24, 2020, 01:05:14 pm by IDM »
There a more important issues with regards to football going forward that need addressing NOW . Mainly how many clubs will be able to start a new season if restrictions are still in place .

No one is saying that isn’t important.  This is just a simple snapshot of what forum members think about ending the season, nothing more and nothing less..

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 24, 2020, 01:40:09 pm by RoversAlias »
5 of the 6 proper options all fairly evenly split, that tells you how difficult getting this right is going to be for those in charge of making it so.

I'm past wanting it finished now, well past in fact. But I'm dead against voiding and rendering all that work, time and effort pointless. PPG of either kind is the best solution for me and promotion/relegation kept in place. It's a one-off circumstance and that's just how it is, some will lose out.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 24, 2020, 02:04:26 pm by ravenrover »
I think we should finish this season (play the games) and start next season in November or December. Next season Cancel all cup competition. Play Only league games. Saturday,Wednesday, Sunday.
OK for week 1 then what?

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 24, 2020, 02:10:17 pm by NewDonny »
5 of the 6 proper options all fairly evenly split, that tells you how difficult getting this right is going to be for those in charge of making it so.

I'm past wanting it finished now, well past in fact. But I'm dead against voiding and rendering all that work, time and effort pointless. PPG of either kind is the best solution for me and promotion/relegation kept in place. It's a one-off circumstance and that's just how it is, some will lose out.

Exactly.

At the moment from the small numbers that have voted on this PPG of some sort (weighted or unweighted) has gained the most votes between them.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on May 24, 2020, 02:15:28 pm by since-1969 »
I think we should finish this season (play the games) and start next season in November or December. Next season Cancel all cup competition. Play Only league games. Saturday,Wednesday, Sunday.
. It’s about sustainable finance “ Cancel all cup compilations?” . I say trim the league and have more cup comps’ and give league bonus points to every team that go through to the next round , providing insensitive to every team to compete in . Our systems needs a complete overall with the view to attracting  support and more integration of all Efl clubs and providing a levelling of the status with greater distribution of earnings throughout the league .

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 24, 2020, 02:34:42 pm by scawsby steve »
. It’s about sustainable finance “ Cancel all cup compilations?” . I say trim the league and have more cup comps’ and give league bonus points to every team that go through to the next round , providing insensitive to every team to compete in . Our systems needs a complete overall with the view to attracting  support and more integration of all Efl clubs and providing a levelling of the status with greater distribution of earnings throughout the league .

How is having more cup comps going to attract more support? The attendances for cup games in all comps over the last few seasons have been atrocious, for all clubs.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 24, 2020, 02:36:51 pm by silent majority »

How is having more cup comps going to attract more support? The attendances for cup games in all comps over the last few seasons have been atrocious, for all clubs.

Also, 'trim the league'? That means playing less games, which means reducing revenue, which means more financial peril. No chance!

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on May 24, 2020, 02:48:26 pm by since-1969 »
I think if more was at stake like a League points bonus this would incentivise more teams who’s league position was paramount to take part . We all know larger teams preserve their players and field youth players and by this  lessen the importance of the cup competition and more over the interest of supporters over all .

Premier League clubs and Championship clubs that every year battle just to stay in the PL would be  more inclined to field more first team players as bonus points could be earned towards their league position and perhaps more supporters would  attend if they knew that a cup victory can provide points as well as a next round draw . Cup shocks would still happen with the bonus points going to the lower league club and proved them with greater assurance that the extra points gained could keep in the promotion race or stave off relegation. 

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on May 24, 2020, 02:49:58 pm by since-1969 »

Also, 'trim the league'? That means playing less games, which means reducing revenue, which means more financial peril. No chance!
But more lucrative cup games against top teams .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 24, 2020, 03:51:04 pm by drfchound »

Hi RA. Although I am in the don’t care anymore group, if I was pushed and had to make a decision it would be the ppg one.
Weighted or unweighted.........well, I don’t care, just get it done.
I am with you on the other things you have mentioned.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on May 24, 2020, 04:29:58 pm by since-1969 »

I suppose what I’m saying IS make the cup games mean more that just the next round by giving league points for the win and give them more incentives and perhaps fans may just get more interested in the outcome .

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 24, 2020, 06:15:30 pm by NewDonny »

I suppose what I’m saying IS make the cup games mean more that just the next round by giving league points for the win and give them more incentives and perhaps fans may just get more interested in the outcome .

But that's the point 69, whereas the FA Cup & League Cup (or whatever it is called today) were popular, both have diminished in importance to sides  and because of that a viewing spectacle as well, so noon is going to get behind another cup. I mean look how this seasons EFL Leasing.com Trophy games bombed for example.

No, if next season is held over until it's safer both to play and watch then the way forward is to reduce cup games and place greater emphasis on the league and time to complete fixtures.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on May 24, 2020, 06:18:57 pm by IDM »
Agreed ND.

If the time period to complete next season is shortened then the first casualties should be the EFL trophy and the league cup.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 24, 2020, 06:40:48 pm by drfchound »
I said just that quite a few weeks ago.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on May 24, 2020, 07:13:59 pm by selby »
  Tell the premiership sides if they want to play reserve sides of less than 8 players who started the last two premiership games they must enter the cup in the first round proper with league one and two sides.
  They purport to want their u 23 sides to play against league opposition give them the chance.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on May 24, 2020, 08:29:20 pm by since-1969 »
The league is more important then a good cup run that’s for sure . Every club in League 1 would have played two games less if the season had ended due to Bury’s demise so what would 4 or more going bust do to games . Cup games need to have more relevance to the game than just hoping of having a good run to get some extra cash in the till . I would propose league points being earned as well to give an edge to each game at the end of the season and playoffs could be scrapped as accumulating bonus points for cup runs would be included and establish the true form teams of that season .

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on May 24, 2020, 08:35:57 pm by IDM »
How does that work if in round 3 Doncaster are drawn away at Manchester City and get hammered, yet another league one team draw a league 2 side at home, and win easily?

How does that make sense for awarding league points for cup games.?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on May 24, 2020, 08:54:27 pm by since-1969 »
It’s big payday or points or both . But cup runs do happen but give nothing to your league position at the end so win a few games in any cup match then your points to the good as a bonus .

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on May 24, 2020, 09:04:32 pm by IDM »
Sorry but there is no logic in your idea.  You are entitled to have it, of course.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on May 24, 2020, 09:29:28 pm by since-1969 »
Sorry but there is no logic in your idea.  You are entitled to have it, of course.
Thank you .. . Not finishing the season seems to rank for me as everyone has  unfinished business . It was an interesting season with a new manager , great loan players and all those away games still to play . We will never know how things would have ended and if we could have scraped a playoff place . It just seems that we have entered the twilight world where everyone had hit the stop button and no one knows to restart it .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on May 24, 2020, 10:15:59 pm by drfchound »
Good words to end this thread on really.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on May 25, 2020, 04:56:03 pm by keith79 »
OK for week 1 then what?
same the week after if you play Saturday you play Wednesday. If you play Wednesday you then play Sunday. If you play Sunday then you next play Saturday. If you play Saturday you next play Wednesday. Ect ect

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on May 27, 2020, 11:59:26 pm by stuey »
Anything that stops Rovrum going up is good with me

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on May 28, 2020, 11:44:59 am by since-1969 »
Anything that stops Rovrum going up is good with me
A true sportsman!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012