Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:53:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Banner / enough is enough / showing support to DM  (Read 4872 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Banner / enough is enough / showing support to DM
« Reply #30 on June 06, 2020, 06:12:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
What I do not understand is why is it when we have so many of our brothers with origins  from the Indian sub continent in the UK  do we have so few playing professional football ? I cannot think of any.

Maybe they prefer cricket?

Your comment, not for the first time, is an absolute disgrace.

I'm in the very odd position if struggling to see what is wrong with AL's post. Traditionally, cricket HAS been more popular than football in the Indian sub-continent and I don't see how mentioning that can possibly be construed as offensive. Surely that must be A factor in why there are so few footballers from a South Asian heritage?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on June 06, 2020, 06:23:46 pm by RoversAlias »
What I do not understand is why is it when we have so many of our brothers with origins  from the Indian sub continent in the UK  do we have so few playing professional football ? I cannot think of any.

Maybe they prefer cricket?

Your comment, not for the first time, is an absolute disgrace.

I'm in the very odd position if struggling to see what is wrong with AL's post. Traditionally, cricket HAS been more popular than football in the Indian sub-continent and I don't see how mentioning that can possibly be construed as offensive. Surely that must be A factor in why there are so few footballers from a South Asian heritage?

It read as inflammatory to me, or at least racially stereotypical. If it was the first time I'd seen such a comment from Axholme then fair enough, benefit of the doubt, but it isn't unfortunately.

Yes cricket is very popular in India and countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh, but it is also very popular in England too for obvious reasons so I'm not seeing the correlation to be honest. There certainly are not a proportional amount of footballers with an Indian background in this country when matched up to the UK population.

besty

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on June 06, 2020, 08:29:58 pm by besty »
Their national game is cricket so whats the problem,USA is baseball and american football,Australia is rugby and cricket,valid point I think

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on June 07, 2020, 07:50:13 am by DRFC_AjA »
Look at Frank Lampard, straight in at Derby as soon as he got his badges, Gerrard straight in at Rangers. Top, or near top flight, your first job. How many black ex prem footballers have done that? I can only think of Paul Ince was he straight in at Blackburn? And were they even in the prem at that time. Hasselbaink started at Barnet and Campbell at ???. Absolute legendary prem players first job almost Sunday league relative to their white peers.

Personally don't see any problem with saying Bangladesh national sport is cricket. There's no white people doing sumo wrestling in Japan but I'm not getting up in arms about it. I think we need to be careful not to brand everyone a racist or suggest they are so quickly as we do these days.

However, to deny that there is a problem of some sort in the game we love is a problem for me. Because it's quite obvious just by opening your ears at a match.

So, back to the original idea. I'm getting the sense that many feel the idea is good, showing support to DM is good, but perhaps using a banner is not the way to do it?

Or is it? It just needs more organising

Or, some other expression is needed?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on June 07, 2020, 08:02:26 am by drfchound »
Look at Frank Lampard, straight in at Derby as soon as he got his badges, Gerrard straight in at Rangers. Top, or near top flight, your first job. How many black ex prem footballers have done that? I can only think of Paul Ince was he straight in at Blackburn? And were they even in the prem at that time. Hasselbaink started at Barnet and Campbell at ???. Absolute legendary prem players first job almost Sunday league relative to their white peers.

Personally don't see any problem with saying Bangladesh national sport is cricket. There's no white people doing sumo wrestling in Japan but I'm not getting up in arms about it. I think we need to be careful not to brand everyone a racist or suggest they are so quickly as we do these days.

However, to deny that there is a problem of some sort in the game we love is a problem for me. Because it's quite obvious just by opening your ears at a match.

So, back to the original idea. I'm getting the sense that many feel the idea is good, showing support to DM is good, but perhaps using a banner is not the way to do it?

“Because it’s quite obvious just by opening your ears at a match”.

It is many, many years since I heard a racist chant or shout out at a Rovers match.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on June 07, 2020, 03:05:49 pm by scawsby steve »

It is many, many years since I heard a racist chant or shout out at a Rovers match.

Dead right Hound. They would be reported to stewards immediately, and quite rightly so.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on June 07, 2020, 05:15:14 pm by Draytonian III »
I wouldn’t put Hasselbaink and Campbell as legendary Premiership players ,not in Gerrard and Lampard bracket . The owners of most clubs want “names” irrespective of their colour , Lampard might have been a bit lucky to get the Derby job, but aren’t their owners Americans with pots full of money, as for Gerrard he’s at Rangers and they also want a name. Paul Scholes first and maybe only job was at Oldham, not exactly high flyers. Hasselbaink started at Burton not Barnet then soon jumped ship to QPR.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on June 07, 2020, 05:17:54 pm by Draytonian III »
Paul Ince was at Macclesfield then M K Dons before Blackburn

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on June 07, 2020, 08:55:08 pm by ravenrover »
John Barnes Tranmere and Celtic, didn't he have some involvement at Newcastle at one time

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on June 07, 2020, 10:00:58 pm by German Rover »

Dead right Hound. They would be reported to stewards immediately, and quite rightly so.

I've heard racism at the rovers, if you think that it doesn't happen you're burying your head in the sand.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on June 07, 2020, 10:06:17 pm by drfchound »

I've heard racism at the rovers, if you think that it doesn't happen you're burying your head in the sand.

No, I am saying I haven’t heard it.
Where did I say it doesn’t happen.

Have you reported the abuser to stewards?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on June 08, 2020, 11:06:55 pm by Chris Black come back »
I have Darren Moore down as the most senior UK BAME manager in English football today. To be honest, there are only four such managers, with Darren managing at the highest level. Him, Sol Campbell at the barely credible Southend United in League One, then down in League Two are Keith Curle at Northampton Town and our mate Dino Maamria at Oldham Athletic.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on June 10, 2020, 09:05:22 am by River Don »
As a side note, it's worth saying one of Rovers most impressive managers came from the BAME community.

Sammy Chung.

I'd say his legacy is still with the club today, since it was he who identified the need to open up and talk directly to supporters. His back room meet the fans meetings at the Park Hotel, I suggest directly inspired the met the fans meetings the club still hold. That engagement I suspect was fundamental in the development of the VSC.

I'd go so far as to say Sammy is one of the best managers the club has ever had.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on June 10, 2020, 10:04:03 am by Chris Black come back »
Sammy Chung is a great man. His 1994/95 team is for me - relatively - on par with 2003/4 and 2007/8. He put that together within weeks of being appointed. A top, top manager for us.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on June 10, 2020, 10:55:32 am by VivaRovers »

Wish I could say the same thing.

Bristol City away a few seasons back a Rovers fan was very audibly shouting racist abuse at the assistant referee. What bothered me most about this was that I was about 10 rows down and was the only person to say anything. I tried to shout him down from where I was and then at half-time went up to ask him why he thought that was acceptable.

In hindsight I wish I'd pointed him out to a steward, but as I was at the game on my own, that didn't seem the safest option.

More recently I called out a group of Rovers fans walking through Hyde Park singing racist songs last season.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on June 10, 2020, 11:53:25 am by silent majority »

Wish I could say the same thing.

Bristol City away a few seasons back a Rovers fan was very audibly shouting racist abuse at the assistant referee. What bothered me most about this was that I was about 10 rows down and was the only person to say anything. I tried to shout him down from where I was and then at half-time went up to ask him why he thought that was acceptable.

In hindsight I wish I'd pointed him out to a steward, but as I was at the game on my own, that didn't seem the safest option.

More recently I called out a group of Rovers fans walking through Hyde Park singing racist songs last season.

We had quite a few instances of racial abuse carried out by various DRFC supporters last season which ended up being reported to the various supporter organisations. One was incredibly thoughtless and harmful surrounding the game at Fleetwood. Personally I wanted it taken further but the abused individual decided they didn't want to make a bigger issue of it, completely wrong in my opinion.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on June 10, 2020, 12:18:14 pm by idler »
You can't believe that a fan would abuse another fan on a racial basis. More so when you look at our manager and the make up of the team. They need educating and maybe meet DM and explain their views to him personally. I'm sure that might make them think.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012