Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:03:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Banner / enough is enough / showing support to DM  (Read 4829 times)

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
Banner / enough is enough / showing support to DM
« on June 02, 2020, 01:02:45 pm by DRFC_AjA »
It should be noted that I'm writing this as someone who is currently out of the country and therefore wouldn't be able to help with this, but hear me out...

...What's happened in the USA probably doesn't resonate with a lot of us, nor are many of us willing to get into the sprint that's happening now of “last one to ... change your Facebook pic to black / hashtag black lives matter / take a knee.. is the biggest racist”......

But I hope what DOES resonate with us is that we've all heard racist, sexist, homophobic chants or abuse from the stands, and unfortunately I'm not talking about the 80s I'm talking about recently. Or we've seen it in the news.

While I personally feel that the above mentioned “sprint to...” is pointless to a certain extent, what I feel is not pointless and more importantly tangible is a banner of some sort that we can show to our players, that we can show to our fans, that we can show to visiting fans, that we're sick of what see and hear too often in the stands.

I for one have the utmost hatred for your ‘regular Joe’ who feels like they have to become neanderthal man at 3pm each Saturday. But I digress, or maybe I don't ? Maybe the point is enough is enough.

Anyone else out there feel this is a good idea? It could even be displayed at a behind closed doors game, after all it's the player whom are the target of the abuse.

Our very own DM probably got abuse when he was younger, though he looks tough as heck on the outside, nobody knows what effect this stuff has on the inside. As we have one of the few black managers in the country I feel we need to support this movement in some way. DM you are not judged on your skin colour.

"Following our team through thick and thin, no matter their sex, religion or colour of skin" was my possible idea

Appreciate people taking the time to read this and i do appreciate that for some they will feel this is unnecessary and pointless. For them I say no judgement by me, I honestly believe each to their own

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 01:14:31 pm by DRFC_AjA »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
Re: Banner / enough is enough / showing support to DM
« Reply #1 on June 02, 2020, 01:37:51 pm by Axholme Lion »
Why does the fact that DM is black matter. He is a football manager, not a token. People who make issues out of such things are the underlying racists in my book. If people just got on with their lives without a big issue out of everything and looking for discrimination everywhere the world would be a better place, IMO.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 02, 2020, 02:03:13 pm by IDM »
George Floyd can’t get on with his life.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 02, 2020, 02:12:00 pm by Axholme Lion »
George Floyd can’t get on with his life.

He is nothing to do with Darren Moore though is he? It's like lumping all white people into one group. It just doesn't make sense.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 02, 2020, 02:18:23 pm by IDM »
No, it’s about making a statement that everyone matters.. it’s not lumping all white people into one group.

In an ideal world we wouldn’t need to make such a statement, but we don’t live in that ideal world do we.?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 02, 2020, 02:24:12 pm by RoversAlias »
We live in a world where black people are disproportionately discriminated against, and these protests in America are something that should be highlighted. The world needs to take note - we are far from being in a position to cast aspersions here in Britain with plenty of racism still prevalent on our shores too.

All people should be respected and treated fairly, but sadly they are not.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 02, 2020, 02:55:44 pm by vaya »
Why does the fact that DM is black matter. He is a football manager, not a token. People who make issues out of such things are the underlying racists in my book. If people just got on with their lives without a big issue out of everything and looking for discrimination everywhere the world would be a better place, IMO.

Great. You'll be stopping telling everyone how Millwall fans are discriminated against then finally.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 02, 2020, 04:05:18 pm by Scooter »
It should be noted that I'm writing this as someone who is currently out of the country and therefore wouldn't be able to help with this, but hear me out...

...What's happened in the USA probably doesn't resonate with a lot of us, nor are many of us willing to get into the sprint that's happening now of “last one to ... change your Facebook pic to black / hashtag black lives matter / take a knee.. is the biggest racist”......

But I hope what DOES resonate with us is that we've all heard racist, sexist, homophobic chants or abuse from the stands, and unfortunately I'm not talking about the 80s I'm talking about recently. Or we've seen it in the news.

While I personally feel that the above mentioned “sprint to...” is pointless to a certain extent, what I feel is not pointless and more importantly tangible is a banner of some sort that we can show to our players, that we can show to our fans, that we can show to visiting fans, that we're sick of what see and hear too often in the stands.

I for one have the utmost hatred for your ‘regular Joe’ who feels like they have to become neanderthal man at 3pm each Saturday. But I digress, or maybe I don't ? Maybe the point is enough is enough.

Anyone else out there feel this is a good idea? It could even be displayed at a behind closed doors game, after all it's the player whom are the target of the abuse.

Our very own DM probably got abuse when he was younger, though he looks tough as heck on the outside, nobody knows what effect this stuff has on the inside. As we have one of the few black managers in the country I feel we need to support this movement in some way. DM you are not judged on your skin colour.

"Following our team through thick and thin, no matter their sex, religion or colour of skin" was my possible idea

Appreciate people taking the time to read this and i do appreciate that for some they will feel this is unnecessary and pointless. For them I say no judgement by me, I honestly believe each to their own

Thanks

I agree with this idea. I like the idea of having an inclusive message although I don’t agree with your words you suggest. Being fully inclusive is more than sex, religion and colour of skin. For example sexuality etc

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 02, 2020, 07:53:32 pm by i_ateallthepies »

Thanks

I agree with this idea. I like the idea of having an inclusive message although I don’t agree with your words you suggest. Being fully inclusive is more than sex, religion and colour of skin. For example sexuality etc

I agree with the gist of your point Scooter, I too noted that the wording needs a little work but I'm completely with the OP on the point of principle and his idea in general.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 03, 2020, 02:18:26 am by DRFC_AjA »
To those who says it's not relevant....As said, I respect your views. The whole point of this idea is to take it from the USA where it's less relevant, to the UK, to something that we do know and see exists on the terraces.

In theory there's a lot of discrimination and a banner could wrap around the ground twice.

Any suggestions on new words or new idea are welcome. I just feel with one of the few black managers and a couple of our players having talked about their mental health issues, this could be the time to show support
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 02:42:45 am by DRFC_AjA »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 03, 2020, 09:44:33 am by IDM »
I think the slogan “United we stand” works as well as any.  Unless it has been used before for other more concerning purposes.?

Make it a hashtag or something, so when folks say “what does that mean” they can find out what the message is, if they can’t deduce it in the first place..

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 03, 2020, 11:20:31 am by silent majority »
OK, so here are a couple of things to consider.

Firstly, by the time we can get a banner sorted and installed in the stadium the BLM movement will have moved on. The reason I say that is that it will be months before games are played at the Keepmoat again, and even many more months before we as supporters are allowed in.

The 2nd thing to consider is that if we do this because we have a black manager in DM then what happens if he never takes charge of another game for DRFC again? Whilst I'm not trying to scare people into thinking he's off, because I'm not, its always a question to ask when we have no idea what next season is going to look like and who is going to be here at the club. It would be wrong to think we are immune from financial hardship and having to take action, we are not, we are far from it.

So, that doesn't mean I'm against the idea, I'm not, and I'm more than happy to do my bit. But we do spend time, effort, and money supporting Kick It Out, Fans For Diversity etc These are the schemes we've worked with and partnering with them to point out the racist attitudes of fellow supporters. Its not that we don't already do these things, because we do, but if you want to flesh out what you want I can always promote it through these organisations and ask for funding at the same time.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 03, 2020, 12:36:25 pm by Pancho Regan »
Excellent post SM.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 03, 2020, 12:43:04 pm by NickDRFC »
I think the slogan “United we stand” works as well as any.  Unless it has been used before for other more concerning purposes.?

Make it a hashtag or something, so when folks say “what does that mean” they can find out what the message is, if they can’t deduce it in the first place..

Completely at odds with the “taking the knee” message though ;)

I think that a banner is a fair idea but as SM says it could be months away before anyone will even go into the stadium. I don’t think that we as a club should only do it because our manager, though - the issue is much bigger than that and we should be showing our support regardless. Right now positive and supportive social media messages are about all we can do as a club, though.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 03, 2020, 04:47:20 pm by the vicar »
the news reporter that the so called police officer that smashed his shield in to his midriff was not black but he got it all the same for nothing. Yes it does happen mor to black people in the USA but it should not happen to anyone that does nothing wrong

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 03, 2020, 04:54:10 pm by the vicar »
I don't think what ever we do over here will make one ioter in America

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 03, 2020, 06:30:03 pm by Ldr »
"Everyone, regardless"

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 03, 2020, 09:09:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Thanks

Excellent idea.

We have come a long way since Rufus and Ranks and Deane were regularly subjected to "ain't no black in the Union Jack" chants at away matches, and since idiots of ours were shouting gorilla grunts at opposition black players at the turn of the century. But there's still a long long way to go. And this would be a great bit of symbolism.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 04, 2020, 03:23:51 pm by DRFC_AjA »
Agreed it could take a while. But then I remember throwing a fiver towards a south stand banner about 10 or so years ago that seemed to be made pretty quickly from idea to being in the ground.

Though I'm not sure it necessarily has to be done next season or when footy is back to normal. "Inclusion 1 - 0 racism" to keep a football theme.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 04, 2020, 08:30:49 pm by sheffield exile1 »
This is not about fads but a much wider issue. Anyone remember Stephen Lawrence? Institutioalised racism is endemic in a right wing president who tweets "when the looting starts the shooting starts" in predominantly black areas....who also dismissed the death of the person run over at the demonstration last year by a facist. Some have said Moore isn't token as a manager. However the amount of black managers across the whole pyramid is pityful. There is racism however its just gone more underground due to legislation. To deny its existence is to undermine opportunities and fair treatment of black people whether in the USA or UK... Support anything which highlights this..

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 04, 2020, 09:26:24 pm by ravenrover »
Ever thought that quite a few black managers haven't been very good at it and that has nothing to do with colour

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 04, 2020, 11:35:02 pm by Scooter »
There have been a lot of white managers who haven’t been very good. The list would be endless. There will be some excellent black coaches who have had plenty of playing experience and their UEFA licences - which won’t be easy to pass. They just need a fair opportunity. We shouldn’t have to have a Rooney rule for interviews - ethnicity shouldn’t even come into it. If you meet the criteria for the job you should be interviewed and judged fairly on your cv and interview performance.
Racism in football as with society has been going on for decades and needs stamping out

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 05, 2020, 12:56:38 am by RoversAlias »
Ever thought that quite a few black managers haven't been very good at it and that has nothing to do with colour

The number of BAME managers/coaches is disproportionately lower than the number of players and that indicates a big issue. Why don't more BAME players go into coaching after retiring? Why don't more sustain careers in that side of the sport? The answers cannot be boiled down to "not good enough". Those who think that it can are either ignorant or guilty of purveying cultural prejudices themselves.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 05, 2020, 03:32:01 am by Avsuptem »
What I do not understand is why is it when we have so many of our brothers with origins  from the Indian sub continent in the UK  do we have so few playing professional football ? I cannot think of any.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 05, 2020, 01:25:42 pm by silent majority »
What I do not understand is why is it when we have so many of our brothers with origins  from the Indian sub continent in the UK  do we have so few playing professional football ? I cannot think of any.

There's work going on in that area to try and address, not only players but supporters as well, the lack of participants in the game.

My good friend Anwar Uddin heads up the 'Fans For Diversity' part of the FSA and Kick It Out. He's of Bangladeshi origin and was part of the West Ham academy. Wikipedia says this about him;

During a career which began at West Ham United in 2001 and concluded with a season at Eastbourne Borough from 2012 to 2013, Uddin notably represented several Football League clubs including Dagenham & Redbridge and Barnet. He was the first person of Bangladeshi origin to play professional football in England, and, while at Dagenham & Redbridge, became the first British Asian to captain a football club in the top four divisions of English football.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 05, 2020, 03:22:41 pm by Iberian Red »

Maybe they prefer cricket?

F"&I me.

Surely if you live in the Isle,you prefer a Barbour,flat cap,and keeping it in the family.
All this geezer/plod/etc. Is a bit of insecurity on your part?
When you couldn't buy bread in the Isle(absolute bollox), blame it on the sunshine,blame it on th boogie,..

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 05, 2020, 04:08:08 pm by RoversAlias »

Your comment, not for the first time, is an absolute disgrace.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 05, 2020, 05:47:41 pm by ravenrover »
What's the lad at Leicester called midfielder big mop of hair isn't he Asian?

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on June 05, 2020, 08:29:26 pm by Scooter »
What about Zesh Rehman? He played at a decent level - Fulham, Norwich? Bradford

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 05, 2020, 09:05:39 pm by idler »
There was a piece about him in the Telegrapn & Argus a week or so ago. He played at all four major levels in the English game.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012