Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:32:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Charlie Williams statue  (Read 4212 times)

Highland Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Charlie Williams statue
« Reply #30 on July 02, 2020, 12:55:16 pm by Highland Rover »
 Wasn't Charlie voted all time Rovers cult hero in a BBC   
Football Focus poll some years ago ?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 02, 2020, 01:36:45 pm by swintonrover »
I personally really like the portrait images of legendary players on the back wall of the stand, if that's what you're referring to? Easily visible flags and images within the seating area is the best place for them as it is of course where matches take place.

I wish we had more of them. It would be really unique to the Keepmoat if we had them all the way around.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on July 02, 2020, 01:37:01 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think S_M may have been referring to those portraits/banners not wearing very well and look like they are fading a bit. The Copps one seems to have lasted much better.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on July 02, 2020, 02:19:19 pm by silent majority »
I personally really like the portrait images of legendary players on the back wall of the stand, if that's what you're referring to? Easily visible flags and images within the seating area is the best place for them as it is of course where matches take place.

I've never heard of nor seen this Charlie Williams display personally and would have no idea where it even is.

Each to their own I suppose, but the problem with legendary players is that finding decent images that can be recreated and blown up into a size worth appreciating is quite difficult.

We had the same problem with the images of Charlie. They are easy to get hold of, the library in Barnsley has all his archived material, including his joke book, but the quality suffered once we started to enlarge them.

Its a portable display and has been featured on here a few times; it's been on the DRFC website and had a semi-permanent spot in the BVB for a number of months. It's been in the reception areas, upstairs in the Legends Lounge and made an appearance on TV too. For a lot of the time it tours the community with the Foundation team visiting schools and other locations spreading the word of CW and how he made it to DRFC and his achievements with us.

Its a pity you've not come across it.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 02, 2020, 05:17:58 pm by VivaRovers »
Aye, I was referring to something along the banners at the back of the South Stand that Rovers Alias has highlighted, and for the reasons pointed out too... easily visible in a place connected with the players' endeavours (i.e. in view of the pitch).

The display you've shared SM is great, and perfect for what it's used for, in terms of being to take it around the community and the stadium for different occasions and purposes. So I don't mean to detract from it's clear worth; but that's a different proposition really from what I was edging towards.

Obviously there'll be bigger priorities for spending when football resumes, but hopefully it can be revisited in the future.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on July 02, 2020, 09:22:50 pm by StocktonRover »
This is a job for Tiddysdad......

His portraits are excellent and I would think they could be enlarged reasonably easily even if it required Tiddysdad to sharpen up any bits that didn’t enlarge well?

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 03, 2020, 08:49:22 am by The Beast »

I wish we had more of them. It would be really unique to the Keepmoat if we had them all the way around.
I’d like to see SOD for the success we had and the iconic style of football we played, why not John Ryan as well , outstanding contribution.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on July 03, 2020, 09:23:45 am by drfchound »
John Ryan is probably THE most worthy.
Blackburn Rovers have the Jack Walker statue now after his money guided them to their greatest glory.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on July 03, 2020, 12:09:44 pm by silent majority »

They take up valuable space which can be, and is, sold to sponsors. So I doubt that we will see many more.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 04, 2020, 08:02:48 am by 1879Rovers »
I'm sure some of the historians of the club on here could tell me but was he the first black player to play for Doncaster.

The first one I am old enough to remember is Des Bennett.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 04, 2020, 04:42:10 pm by RedRover45 »
I'm sure some of the historians of the club on here could tell me but was he the first black player to play for Doncaster.

The first one I am old enough to remember is Des Bennett.

The first I remember seeing play was Martin Alsenoye about 75/76 ish

Yargo

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on July 04, 2020, 05:01:54 pm by Yargo »
First black professional, played for Donny and other clubs round here, this is a recent headstone placed in Edlington cemetery

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on July 04, 2020, 08:26:47 pm by wilts rover »
I don't think Arthur Wharton ever played for Rovers, Yargo, I can't see him listed in Tony Bluff's book. Although he did play his final professional game, a benefit for Rotherham Town, against us.

https://www.on-magazine.co.uk/yorkshire/sport/arthur-wharton-first-black-professional-footballer/

https://www.blogs.hss.ed.ac.uk/sport-matters/2017/06/11/arthur-wharton-racism-sport-past-present/

TinyPortal © 2005-2012