Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:43:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Wigan  (Read 9549 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Wigan
« on July 01, 2020, 12:34:39 pm by roversdude »
Don’t know how it will affect everything but just gone into administration

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
Re: Wigan
« Reply #1 on July 01, 2020, 12:35:47 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
Don’t know how it will affect everything but just gone into administration

Details here on Sky News:

https://news.sky.com/story/wigan-athletic-football-club-goes-into-administration-12018790

Just pray that this is not the first of many.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 01, 2020, 12:37:27 pm by Prez »
They were strongly rumoured to be in for Whiteman.

Cant see that now.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 01, 2020, 12:37:48 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Wonder if the EFL will still give them a points deduction in the current circumstances?

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 01, 2020, 12:40:03 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
Wonder if the EFL will still give them a points deduction in the current circumstances?

Apparently so. See here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53247333

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 01, 2020, 12:40:39 pm by roversdude »
Be interesting to see DO don’t think rules have changed so in theory they should get a deduction

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 01, 2020, 12:46:56 pm by Frankie Rennie »
Should be a 12 point deduction as the seasons still live, circumstances should have nothing to do with it. At least Tyke should be happy as that would put Wigan bottom. Question is who’s next? Only a
Matter of time I think. Blackburn Rovers?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 01, 2020, 12:50:22 pm by roversdude »
Depends they may play their Bolton Wanderers card out of jail free card - seriously it will be the tip of the iceberg

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 01, 2020, 12:51:38 pm by Campsall rover »
Should be a 12 point deduction as the seasons still live, circumstances should have nothing to do with it. At least Tyke should be happy as that would put Wigan bottom. Question is who’s next? Only a
So what happens if 3/4 Championship clubs go into admin. -12 points for each?  The EFL could have a total farce of a situation to sort out.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 01, 2020, 12:58:08 pm by RoversAlias »
I'm not sure this has anything to do with Covid. Four weeks ago they were taken over by a Hong Kong business. It baffles me that they are somehow in administration so soon after that.

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 01, 2020, 01:02:38 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »
So what happens if 3/4 Championship clubs go into admin. -12 points for each?  The EFL could have a total farce of a situation to sort out.

Was just thinking, as soon as 3 go into admin others might as well as impact would be less if others are relegated.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 01, 2020, 01:20:04 pm by drfchound »
It could happen though.

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 01, 2020, 01:27:07 pm by Frankie Rennie »
Depends they may play their Bolton Wanderers card out of jail free card - seriously it will be the tip of the iceberg

Ha ha nice one dude. As you say, who will be next because there sure will be. Surprised It’s the pie eaters though because it was only this time last year they were taken over and final pieces sorted a few weeks ago. Just shows how this virus is seriously affecting clubs at all levels.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 01, 2020, 01:28:14 pm by NewDonny »
They were strongly rumoured to be in for Whiteman.

Cant see that now.

That just shows you the drivel thats reported in the local & national press and whats  posted on social media and that you shouldn't believe what you read unless it comes from reliable source.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 02:17:14 pm by NewDonny »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 01, 2020, 01:35:55 pm by Campsall rover »
I'm not sure this has anything to do with Covid. Four weeks ago they were taken over by a Hong Kong business. It baffles me that they are somehow in administration so soon after that.
Sounds very suspicious to me. Football is being used by some very unscrupulous people. No evidence that is the case with Wigan of course.
Just once again makes you very thankful our club is run by the local owners that we have.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 01, 2020, 02:08:12 pm by selby »
  It will all get sorted next March when the EFL meet again.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 01, 2020, 02:31:09 pm by selby »
  Sorry re read the post on BBC if they are outside the bottom three this season the 12 points penalty will be administered
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 02:39:05 pm by selby »

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 01, 2020, 02:38:21 pm by DRNaith »
I thought there was a point in the season, where after that point any points deductions were incurred the following season.  As always, happy to be wrong.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 01, 2020, 02:40:16 pm by selby »
  Naith you are right I got the wrong end of the stick

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 01, 2020, 02:50:55 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I thought there was a point in the season, where after that point any points deductions were incurred the following season.  As always, happy to be wrong.

Yeah it's usually March, around 6-8 games left. Which is where we're at now. So it could be next season now.

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 01, 2020, 02:54:39 pm by ian1980 »
If at the end of the season they are already in the relegation places based on their on field results, the penalty will apply next season in L1

If the are out of the relegation places at the end of the season based on their on field results, the deduction will apply to this season. It then depends whether the 12 point deduction puts them down into the relegation places or not as to whether they are relegated or not.

So for them, they need to be in excess of 12 points above the relegation places at the end of the season otherwise they go down

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 01, 2020, 03:22:12 pm by Frankie Rennie »
Very much agree Campsall, you know like we do what havoc a rogue owner causes. Like you we’ve now got local, respectable owners who will run the club prudently but sadly there are too many coming into the game for the finance involved and in Wigan’s case possible asset strippers. The EFL have once again been found wanting in their responsible owners test if these people have to bail out after less than a year. Feel sorry for Wigan fans even though they laughed at us.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 01, 2020, 03:32:45 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Bit of a problem for the efl though, if they penalise Wigan for this then it just exacerbates what is a huge failing on the efl part. Within a month of determining these guys could fund the club it appears they can't.  The efl face some .big questions there.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 01, 2020, 04:14:29 pm by Campsall rover »
Bit of a problem for the efl though, if they penalise Wigan for this then it just exacerbates what is a huge failing on the efl part. Within a month of determining these guys could fund the club it appears they can't.  The efl face some .big questions there.
Problem is some owners seem to be able to cover up their past history or don’t have any obvious skeletons.
But they come in and asset strip the club all the same.
Whelan insists the club was in good shape when he sold the club. The buyers then sold it on again.
Something doesn’t sit right. It’s appalling.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 01, 2020, 04:20:20 pm by wilts rover »
I wonder if the fall off in relations between the UK & China over Hong Kong have anything to do with this? Be quite a coincidence if they didn't?

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 01, 2020, 04:58:19 pm by tyke1962 »
Looking likely a 12 point deduction for Wigan which right now would put them rock bottom of the league on 38 points .

In an ideal world it isn't what you want to see , but then again we didn't pay £4m for Kieffer Moore when clearly we didn't have the money to do so , no we sold him to Wigan to balance our books .

I'm not going to dance on their grave but at the same time they haven't helped themselves either , pound to a penny they still owe us at least half of that transfer fee which could have serious consequences for us .

Tip of a very big iceberg is this .

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 01, 2020, 05:22:57 pm by idler »
The salary cap in League 2 if set at £1.5 million will be £1.2 million less than Bradford City's wage budget for last season.
They are worried that if they don't start working to that budget now if it is voted in they will then have a points deduction next season.
I think that they only have about 14 contracted players now as well.

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 01, 2020, 05:42:29 pm by Frankie Rennie »
Surely if you have players on existing contracts you can’t be expected to reduce them, that would be ridiculous and I would have though illegal. Also they can hardly penalise you for it points wise either but then this is the EFL we are talking about.

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 01, 2020, 05:47:31 pm by Frankie Rennie »

You weren’t saying that about our owner last year bfyp, yet that’s exactly what Harvey at the WFL did with us. Anderson claimed to have the funds to run the club and pay wages then pulled the rug in both leading to our missed game. It really is time somebody took control of the EFL as they are far from fit for purpose. Wigan are only the first of many I feel so they’re going to be busy. I fear for Wigan’s future now, who would buy them in this climate?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 01, 2020, 06:15:15 pm by Campsall rover »
I wonder if the fall off in relations between the UK & China over Hong Kong have anything to do with this? Be quite a coincidence if they didn't?
Possible, but you might be putting 2 & 2 together & making 5   :ohmy:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012