Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:51:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Recruitment to start next week  (Read 19104 times)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Re: Recruitment to start next week
« Reply #121 on July 28, 2020, 12:47:39 pm by ravenrover »
I see McAnthony's radio mouthpiece on Talksport Adrian Durham is jibing about teams in L1 signing players when they couldn't afford to finish the season!

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on July 29, 2020, 10:58:37 pm by Alan Southstand »
So far, 7 league 1 clubs have been involved in signing players. They are:

Bristol Rovers - 5
Blackpool - 4
Lincoln - 3
MK Dons - 2
Burton - 1
Plymouth - 1
Northampton - 1

That’s as per BBC transfers section, 29th July.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on July 29, 2020, 11:29:32 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Bristol Rovers - 5
Blackpool - 4
Lincoln - 3
MK Dons - 2
Burton - 1
Plymouth - 1
Northampton - 1

They can buy as many as they want as quickly as they want, so long as we're not interested in the players.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on July 30, 2020, 07:03:45 am by Chris Black come back »
And every one of those clubs finished below us last season. Not losing any sleep over mass signings by no mark clubs, when this has happened in the past (Bury, Scunthorpe) we haven’t suffered.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on July 30, 2020, 08:10:46 am by Draytonian III »

Bristol Rovers - 5
Blackpool - 4
Lincoln - 3
MK Dons - 2
Burton - 1
Plymouth - 1
Northampton - 1

Oxford have signed Joel Cooper from Linfield on a 3 year deal

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on July 30, 2020, 09:13:57 am by Guernsey Exile »

Bristol Rovers - 5
Blackpool - 4
Lincoln - 3
MK Dons - 2
Burton - 1
Plymouth - 1
Northampton - 1

Is the plymouth one the resigning of that knobhead goalkeeper?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on July 30, 2020, 10:01:29 am by Alan Southstand »
That’s what I thought, Guernsey! He’ll get a warm welcome.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #128 on July 30, 2020, 11:29:43 am by silent majority »

Bristol Rovers - 5
Blackpool - 4
Lincoln - 3
MK Dons - 2
Burton - 1
Plymouth - 1
Northampton - 1

Alan, I would suggest that the top two or three of those clubs were rushing to get players signed, on high salaries, so as to beat the salary cap cut-off date. If they have done that then those players would have their salary capped at the average for the length of their contract.

Our approach of course is very much the right moral approach in this Covid era, how can we go out splashing the cash when we are busy making employees redundant? Not only that but I would suggest we have our proportion of high earners already so we have little desire to add to them.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on July 30, 2020, 11:34:12 am by NickDRFC »

Bristol Rovers - 5
Blackpool - 4
Lincoln - 3
MK Dons - 2
Burton - 1
Plymouth - 1
Northampton - 1

Alan, I would suggest that the top two or three of those clubs were rushing to get players signed, on high salaries, so as to beat the salary cap cut-off date. If they have done that then those players would have their salary capped at the average for the length of their contract.

Our approach of course is very much the right moral approach in this Covid era, how can we go out splashing the cash when we are busy making employees redundant? Not only that but I would suggest we have our proportion of high earners already so we have little desire to add to them.

Judging by your last line there would you say we’ll therefore be looking at young/unproven players or squad filler to pad out the bench rather than anyone we’d expect to make an immediate, telling impact on the first team?

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #130 on July 30, 2020, 12:03:05 pm by dknward2 »
The high earners will be the core players like Whiteman, Okenabirhie, Anderson, Taylor and James plus I would imagine Copps will be on a decent wage even with the pay cut. Add on to those players like Lawlor Wright, Halliday and Gomes then wages do get eaten up.

If we can get in the 5 or 6 loans for little or no wages all the better, add on 3 to 4 free transfers of young players I.e under 21 so they don’t go to salary cap then I think we will be in a good position to push for a playoff spot

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on July 30, 2020, 01:01:32 pm by silent majority »

Bristol Rovers - 5
Blackpool - 4
Lincoln - 3
MK Dons - 2
Burton - 1
Plymouth - 1
Northampton - 1

Judging by your last line there would you say we’ll therefore be looking at young/unproven players or squad filler to pad out the bench rather than anyone we’d expect to make an immediate, telling impact on the first team?

Nick, I think it would be wrong to interpret that last line like that.

Do I think we will be signing young players? Yes.
Do I think we will be signing unproven players? Define unproven for me. But no.
Do I think we'll be signing bench and squad fillers? Absolutely not.

The point I was making is that the spine of our team is firmly in place, our mainstays are still here, with the exception of Sadlier. Therefore we have no desire to dash out and sign players on large contracts to meet a date that caps the salary levels. That doesn't mean we won't do that, but as a club we are in a reasonable place to ride that out and plan for a future that is not only sustainable and meets the new criteria, but one that will give us a team that will be better than last seasons. And all done by being the sensible club that we are.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on July 30, 2020, 01:03:30 pm by silent majority »
The high earners will be the core players like Whiteman, Okenabirhie, Anderson, Taylor and James plus I would imagine Copps will be on a decent wage even with the pay cut. Add on to those players like Lawlor Wright, Halliday and Gomes then wages do get eaten up.

If we can get in the 5 or 6 loans for little or no wages all the better, add on 3 to 4 free transfers of young players I.e under 21 so they don’t go to salary cap then I think we will be in a good position to push for a playoff spot

Yes, my thoughts entirely.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on July 30, 2020, 01:46:22 pm by RoversAlias »
Was the Salary Cap vote supposed to be yesterday or have I remembered that wrong?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on July 30, 2020, 02:09:26 pm by silent majority »
Was the Salary Cap vote supposed to be yesterday or have I remembered that wrong?

Tomorrow.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on July 30, 2020, 08:54:04 pm by Alan Southstand »
It was reported in another thread as being 29th July, that’s what has confused the issue.

Martin, my reporting of the various signings is for no other purpose than to keep everyone informed as to what is happening elsewhere. If anything, my underlying thoughts when I posted was that there are not that many Clubs active. The ones that are, to me, a bit surprising!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #136 on July 31, 2020, 12:57:51 am by silent majority »
It was reported in another thread as being 29th July, that’s what has confused the issue.

Martin, my reporting of the various signings is for no other purpose than to keep everyone informed as to what is happening elsewhere. If anything, my underlying thoughts when I posted was that there are not that many Clubs active. The ones that are, to me, a bit surprising!

Alan, they've changed the date a couple of times, so understandable.

The clubs that are active are not surprising really.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 08:40:41 am by silent majority »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on July 31, 2020, 08:37:06 am by Alan Southstand »
Well, after yesterday’s update, we can add Peterborough and Sunderland to the list, from Wigan and Millwall respectively.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on July 31, 2020, 09:08:32 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I think caution is understandable, no point in rushing in to the market.  Arguably we're at a strong point with the core of the team in place right now.  We probably need 6 or 7 signings to supplement what we have, it won't be a season for a big squad.  Anyone who can afford that may have an advantage but it's not the time to gamble.  There is a very real chance that if fans do get back to games that will stop again at some point and the club need to think of that contingency.  IF the virus picks up again we may see the season stopped, that's a very real possibility so it is hard to commit to contracts.

Equally, luck and fitness will be important so there needs to be a focus on trying to sign players who aren't as prone to injury, it complicates things a bit.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on July 31, 2020, 10:15:58 am by Retdon1 »
They will be a hell of a lot of players that find them selfs without a club for this coming season so if fans are allowed back in, then there’s nothing to say the board won’t increase Moore’s budget and he can bring a free transfer or 2 in during the season

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on July 31, 2020, 10:24:22 am by Chris Black come back »
I do wonder what a lot of people - players, fans - are smoking at the moment. We need 11 players on the pitch but it is going to be economics of madhouse to start signing players on anything like decent wages or contracts beyond 12 months. Nobody has any idea what League One and below are going to look like come Christmas let alone end of season. Unless EPL start loaning players out for free, cannot see how we or any sane club CEO or owner is going to sanction spending beyond the absolute minimum.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on July 31, 2020, 01:12:03 pm by RoversAlias »

Tomorrow.

I've been looking around and a lot of news outlets are saying this vote isn't until next week, and it seems that has been the case for a couple of days? A real lack of consistent information going around about this whole thing it would seem.

Not from you I mean, just overall across the spectrum of media etc.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #142 on July 31, 2020, 01:30:11 pm by silent majority »

Tomorrow.

I've been looking around and a lot of news outlets are saying this vote isn't until next week, and it seems that has been the case for a couple of days? A real lack of consistent information going around about this whole thing it would seem.

Not from you I mean, just overall across the spectrum of media etc.

Yep, there's been a consistent push back on the date for a few weeks. However the actual content has hardly changed, just the cut-off date for those currently on contracts which has moved about 3 times now. The feeling is its being done on purpose to suit various parties.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on July 31, 2020, 01:56:44 pm by Metalmicky »
There's a lot of uncertainty around about next season...... I see Middlesbrough have suspended season ticket sales until there is more clarity on fans...

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough-fc/middlesbroughs-suspension-season-ticket-sales-highlights-footballs-coronavirus-uncertainties-2929584

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #144 on July 31, 2020, 04:50:44 pm by silent majority »
There's a lot of uncertainty around about next season...... I see Middlesbrough have suspended season ticket sales until there is more clarity on fans...

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough-fc/middlesbroughs-suspension-season-ticket-sales-highlights-footballs-coronavirus-uncertainties-2929584

Most clubs have. It's difficult to sell a ticket when you have no idea what the buyer gets for their money.

We do think, DRFC that is, that we will be able to allow a sizeable crowd into the Keepmoat. It's one of the advantages of being a relatively new stadium with large concourse areas and numerous entry and exit points.

We'll have to see though, discussions are at an early stage although the EFL met yesterday (I think) to discuss this very issue.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on July 31, 2020, 05:59:06 pm by Metalmicky »

We'll have to see though, discussions are at an early stage although the EFL met yesterday (I think) to discuss this very issue.

Well if the EFL met yesterday we should get a decision in no time... :lol:

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #146 on July 31, 2020, 08:05:00 pm by IDM »
Given that the government today is looking to delay spectators returning to stadia, it seems a bit unfair to have a pop at the EFL.

I’m not defending the EFL and it is far from perfect but they surely are reliant on government directives too.?

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on July 31, 2020, 10:26:25 pm by drfc1951 »
So did the salary cap vote take place today?

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on August 01, 2020, 10:01:08 am by drfc1951 »
I have just read the vote will now take place on August 6th.Will that be to late for this coming season?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on August 01, 2020, 11:02:09 am by Alan Southstand »
Unbelievable!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012