Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:22:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Recruitment to start next week  (Read 19084 times)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Re: Recruitment to start next week
« Reply #30 on July 04, 2020, 08:12:36 pm by wilts rover »
There are losts of articles in press from March/April saying the EFL was asking the EPL for financial help and the Premier League say on their website that they have given £125m to the EFL - so is this wrong? Or is that bloke at the select committee wrong? They have either given money or they haven't?

https://www.premierleague.com/contact/faqs

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 04, 2020, 08:23:16 pm by Alan Southstand »
The League unanimously voted to advance funds of £125million to the EFL and National League because of the severe difficulties clubs throughout the pyramid have been suffering during the pandemic.

Well, they’ve voted!

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 04, 2020, 11:15:34 pm by steve@dcfd »
There are losts of articles in press from March/April saying the EFL was asking the EPL for financial help and the Premier League say on their website that they have given £125m to the EFL - so is this wrong? Or is that bloke at the select committee wrong? They have either given money or they haven't?

Solidarity payments was the £125m with 80% going to Championship clubs. The rest to League one and league 2. The EPL had voted to advance the solidarity payments in April.
Therefore the guy who answered the question was right the EFL had not asked for extra to help clubs who could fold.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 05, 2020, 09:28:51 am by drfchound »
Good information there Steve.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on July 05, 2020, 10:40:49 am by silent majority »

Solidarity payments was the £125m with 80% going to Championship clubs. The rest to League one and league 2. The EPL had voted to advance the solidarity payments in April.
Therefore the guy who answered the question was right the EFL had not asked for extra to help clubs who could fold.

But that's not correct, as I've posted elsewhere that comment from Richard Masters is very misleading.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 05, 2020, 07:50:54 pm by steve@dcfd »
Having watched on the news that’s what he said even when pressed by the MP asking the questions. He said the EFL had not asked for financial help there had been no discussion held. He said the same thing again when the MP put him under pressure. It might be misleading but as I see it the £125m solidarity payment was advance on the payment the EFL would have got later in the year under normal circumstances.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 06, 2020, 10:09:17 am by karldew »
Just gone 10am and we’ve still not announced any signings yet.... absolute shambles

:chair: :evil: :P

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on July 06, 2020, 10:18:43 am by Retdon1 »
A lot of stories going around about us signing Lokilo. I just hope he doesn’t turn out to be another Ben Khemis

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on July 06, 2020, 10:32:26 am by ravenrover »
Still looking for the pen  :coat:

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 06, 2020, 12:03:58 pm by DonnyOsmond »
A lot of stories going around about us signing Lokilo. I just hope he doesn’t turn out to be another Ben Khemis

Ben Khemis was signed for the development squad though. He wasn't signed as first team ready.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 06, 2020, 12:10:01 pm by karldew »
Lokilo will be the league 1 Zaha. Even after only seeing 20 minutes of him I hope to god we sign him

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on July 06, 2020, 01:03:05 pm by since-1969 »
There’s ifollow revenue too if we play behind closed doors..  ST revenue (free access to ifollow streaming would be a must) as well.

And what since 69 seems to forget, all clubs will be in the same situation apart from the handful of so-called bigger teams.
YES all clubs are in the same boat but some clubs see opportunities where others see only doom and gloom. Some clubs will prepare for their stadiums for supporters to watch by offering practical solutions. Others want hand outs and gifts of cash from bottomless pits . I’ve yet to hear that football isn’t viable only that it will need time before it returns to normal . If players and clubs aren’t to just disappear off the planet then it’s the duty of every club to examine its own situation and circumstances and work with what it has . DRFC have stated they will fight on but will require supporters to dig deep in the short term with a promise to continue investing when supporters are back in our seats .

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on July 06, 2020, 02:18:04 pm by roversdude »
What’s your suggestion Since 1969

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on July 06, 2020, 04:49:39 pm by wilts rover »
There’s ifollow revenue too if we play behind closed doors..  ST revenue (free access to ifollow streaming would be a must) as well.

And what since 69 seems to forget, all clubs will be in the same situation apart from the handful of so-called bigger teams.
YES all clubs are in the same boat but some clubs see opportunities where others see only doom and gloom. Some clubs will prepare for their stadiums for supporters to watch by offering practical solutions. Others want hand outs and gifts of cash from bottomless pits . I’ve yet to hear that football isn’t viable only that it will need time before it returns to normal . If players and clubs aren’t to just disappear off the planet then it’s the duty of every club to examine its own situation and circumstances and work with what it has . DRFC have stated they will fight on but will require supporters to dig deep in the short term with a promise to continue investing when supporters are back in our seats .

Do you have any examples of those clubs who have seen opportunities? Or ones with practical solutions?

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on July 06, 2020, 08:50:44 pm by Reesielad »
I’m still hoping for a Ben Sheaf return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on July 06, 2020, 08:54:38 pm by Alan Southstand »
I didn’t realise Sheaf still had a year left on his contract at Arsenal.

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on July 06, 2020, 08:57:44 pm by Reesielad »
I didn’t realise Sheaf still had a year left on his contract at Arsenal.
Same, I recall an article earlier in the year of him admitting his future doesn’t lie at Arsenal, guess we’ll find out over the next couple of months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 06, 2020, 09:26:44 pm by Alan Southstand »
Maybe another loan with a view to becoming permanent?

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on July 06, 2020, 10:12:29 pm by dknward2 »
We could sign Ben sheaf on a free with a percentage of his next sale going to Arsenal

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on July 06, 2020, 11:15:35 pm by Alan Southstand »
Darren Moore has said a few interesting things this last week, but the statement about the loanees this season having to be spot on and be able to work throughout the season is interesting.

Of the lads from last season, I would think Sheaf would be a good solid signing, as he now knows what it’s all about at this level. The 2 Wolves lads must have learned an awful lot from last season, but I can’t see both coming back this season. Maybe Ennis, but John will probably be tried at Championship level, to see if he can handle the step up.

I would have loved us to have signed Dieng, but, sadly, it looks like our chances of seeing him again are very slim indeed. So, I hope he finds another one just like Seny, as Lawlor has a lot of catching up to do (literally).

The Villa lad, Ramsay, will probably be in their first team squad next season, in the Championship.

That only really leaves Lurkio Lokilo and I’d like to see him back, permanent. Possibly joined by his Palace team mate, Flanagan, who was with us last season on trial. Those 2, signed on free’s, would be very good business for us, as they both have a lot of potential. As does the lad Dion Pereira, who played for the u23’s in just one game, on trial, but who was very impressive.

So, my personal wish list, so far, would be:

Loans.           Permanents

Sheaf.                      Lokilo?
Ennis.                      Flanagan?
Keeper.                    Pereira?     
Striker.                     (All the 3 above are attacking midfielders)
Utility player

Other players to be handed their first contracts, imho, would be Blythe and Smith, from the u18’s. Depending on funds, maybe Walker, Watson and McGowan also joining them. A lot will depend on the future of our u23 squad and whether we’ll have one.

For those of you who don’t see the u18’s, Ben Blythe is a very good central defender - not big in stature, but an excellent reader and passer. Junior Smith has the attributes to become a top striker, but he’s very much a ‘work in progress’, as he doesn’t quite possess that killer instinct, at times. He could develop into quite a handful, with the right development. The other 3 are right back, striker and central midfielder, respectively.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on July 07, 2020, 10:11:38 am by selby »
  Alan I go along with Sheaf but am not bothered about Ennis he was mostly average to me but would then come up with a moment when you think where did that come from, but the moments were too far between.
  John is not as good as our own Wright and Anderson and was poor at left back, useful as cover for those two which is what he ended up but a waste of a loan who need to make a difference.
   Walker and McGowan I am not sure they have the physic and pace at our level to kick on.
   Pereira looked very good in that game, but against a younger side, if that was his normal form what is he doing trialing? and not at a club, but well worth following up on that form.
   The two Palace guys would be a good move if they were prepared to come up here and have been released, who comes and who goes points to an exciting few months if we ever get going again soon.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on July 07, 2020, 10:15:25 am by IDM »
Disagree with you about Ennis, I think he can do a good job here.  I think he could bulk up a bit perhaps.?

I’m reminded of when Brian Deane started - played like bambi on ice in his first season then came back fitter and stronger next, and didn’t last the season before we sold him.

I liked John at CB and we need at least 3 first choice players for those positions and one or two dependable reserves..

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on July 07, 2020, 10:27:38 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Ennis improved as the season evolved, he will.keep getting better with experience.

Same with Sheaf he grew as he gained confidence and experience. He was outstanding at Sunderland I thought for example. Wasn't too keen at first but he improved a lot.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on July 07, 2020, 11:52:53 am by DonnyOsmond »
Sheaf has all the technical ability to kick on. What he's missing is his decision making IMO, which will come from experience.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on July 07, 2020, 11:56:22 am by roversdude »
A bit out of the box but how about Butler as cover he’s already on the books (I’m sure Scunny will be looking at making cuts) and would be a boon in developing a younger version

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on July 07, 2020, 12:12:56 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Pretty sure Butts said he'd be leaving Scunny at the end of the season. I also tweeted him saying I hope he'd stay on at the Belles. He 'favourited' it.

Lets bring him back to where he's loved. Just as an experienced head in the dressing room etc.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on July 07, 2020, 01:29:47 pm by Alan Southstand »
Selby:

Walker and McGowan I am not sure they have the physic and pace at our level to kick on.

That’s why I said ‘depending on funds’. I’m not sure whether young Walker is still able to play in this next season’s u18’s? We havn’t really got a reserve right back, other than Blair (if he signs). That’s not to say that I believe he’s ready for the first team - far from it, but he’s worth keeping on. With Will McGowan, I like what I see with him, but he is a bit lacking in the physicality area. His size really does count against him, but he is a great passer of the ball and he has good vision. He needs to grow another 300mm or so, to have a future.

Reading the latest from DM, it’s interesting to learn that we can’t really be reducing the squad size from last season, due to what will be a very congested season. So, I think we’re in for a very busy few weeks!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on July 07, 2020, 01:30:41 pm by roversdude »
Good positive article on DROS regarding Adam Henshall

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on July 07, 2020, 01:59:18 pm by Draytonian III »
Andy Butler got released at Scunthorpe

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on July 07, 2020, 04:47:36 pm by drfchound »
Selby:

That’s why I said ‘depending on funds’. I’m not sure whether young Walker is still able to play in this next season’s u18’s? We havn’t really got a reserve right back, other than Blair (if he signs). That’s not to say that I believe he’s ready for the first team - far from it, but he’s worth keeping on. With Will McGowan, I like what I see with him, but he is a bit lacking in the physicality area. His size really does count against him, but he is a great passer of the ball and he has good vision. He needs to grow another 300mm or so, to have a future.

Reading the latest from DM, it’s interesting to learn that we can’t really be reducing the squad size from last season, due to what will be a very congested season. So, I think we’re in for a very busy few weeks!

Your mention of Blair reminded me, has he and Copps signed their contracts yet?
I haven’t seen anything to suggest that they have done.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012