Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:15:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Academy  (Read 3806 times)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Academy
« Reply #30 on July 04, 2020, 12:38:26 pm by NickDRFC »
Anyone know the last true academy graduate who joined drfc as a kid, without being rejected from elsewhere, who has gone in to make a career in the EFL?

Darius Henderson apparently. Looks like he played for our youth then went to Reading around 17-18.

Was he really? I knew he had an association with Doncaster (born or brought up here) but never knew he was on our books. Surprised he never got a game given he must have been 17/18 during “that” season.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 04, 2020, 01:28:49 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Anyone know the last true academy graduate who joined drfc as a kid, without being rejected from elsewhere, who has gone in to make a career in the EFL?

Darius Henderson apparently. Looks like he played for our youth then went to Reading around 17-18.

Was he really? I knew he had an association with Doncaster (born or brought up here) but never knew he was on our books. Surprised he never got a game given he must have been 17/18 during “that” season.

https://www.Scunthorpe-united.co.uk/news/2015/july/iron-sign-darius-henderson/

I think he would have been about 15-16 in 97-98 though.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on July 04, 2020, 02:06:07 pm by selby »
  Although we are an academy 3 level academy our age groups within the academy have had no little success this last season in their age groups.
  The u16s in particular have had success at national level, and have also gained a credible draw and were unlucky not to win at Manchester United. And also some of that team played in higher age group teams against Academies from level 1 and 2 for instance against Burnley Huddersfield and both Sheffield Clubs as well as age groups playing Leeds and in tournaments against Newcastle and Sunderland. Also the u16s played a Leicester City  rep side that was actually a team from the  Thailand national academy.
   The other age groups also played teams out of their normal sphere and competed well with the teams mostly winning more games than they lost and a couple of age groups the u13s I think also winning trophies in competition.
  So yes we feed off other sides released players, we trial players from grass root football in our and outside the Doncaster Area, and overall we have had a good season and also raised standards at every level which is more important and need to continue.

Lindy

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 04, 2020, 02:57:33 pm by Lindy »
Thank you for your opinions on this subject. I still feel the academy is a waste of money if the youngsters are not feeding through into the first team. As someone mentioned Crewe manage to do this. Surely this is the most cost effective way of progressing. We had a good crop of youngsters this year and I was disappointed at seeing them released. I haven’t changed my mind about loan players-two in a team is plenty. Didn’t know you had to prove your credentials before you could comment on this forum. I’ve supported Rovers since 1960 and have had a season ticket since 2003.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 04, 2020, 03:12:00 pm by Chris Black come back »

Jonny Maxted

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 04, 2020, 03:27:48 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Jonny Maxted

Apparently joined from Tadcaster at 15.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 04, 2020, 03:36:18 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Thank you for your opinions on this subject. I still feel the academy is a waste of money if the youngsters are not feeding through into the first team. As someone mentioned Crewe manage to do this. Surely this is the most cost effective way of progressing. We had a good crop of youngsters this year and I was disappointed at seeing them released. I haven’t changed my mind about loan players-two in a team is plenty. Didn’t know you had to prove your credentials before you could comment on this forum. I’ve supported Rovers since 1960 and have had a season ticket since 2003.

It is a valid point to be fair, what is the point in having an academy if we only develop someone EFL standard once every 5-10 years, most of which haven't progressed with us long term. But then again Selby knows more about the academy than most on here and it does sound promising about the quality coming through in the near future. I wonder what's helped that change? Perhaps it's Ferguson coming in and "changing the infrastructure" or the departure of Paul Wilson? It is worth having a look over the next 5 or so years and if we're still in the same position of funding something and not receiving any assets from it what's the point? If we are to continue with it and it bring fruition then I do think it'd probably be worth going to cat 2 at some point as clubs from higher categories can take youth from lower category clubs and having 3 cat 2 clubs in South Yorkshire doesn't help and obviously Leeds not that far away either.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 03:49:19 pm by DonnyOsmond »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on July 04, 2020, 03:42:03 pm by selby »
  The past is the past, the attitude to, and in the academy is now unrecognisable to what it was, both in the quality, ambition, and the organisation.
  The net is now cast wider, although a small team it is organised and well run by Tony Cooke and the coaches are committed and very good at what they do and demanding of their charges the youngsters.
  We will never have the most money thrown at the youth set up, and in fairness a couple of years ago it was probably at a low ebb, it isn't now and is well regarded by other clubs who constantly monitor our young teams as they are a force to be reckoned with in the age groups.
  We do need  Amos, Greaves, and Jones to kick on to cement faith in the system with the supporters and then to follow on with others such as Horton. That will take time over the next few years and whether it will happen is up to mainly the young players to show they are good enough and be given the chance to do so. But we are probably in the best place we have been in to do so now than we have been for a long time and quite a few youngsters not yet on the radar look very very promising, but if anyone knows of a young striker that scores for fun please let the club know.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on July 04, 2020, 04:29:36 pm by DonnyOsmond »
  The past is the past, the attitude to, and in the academy is now unrecognisable to what it was, both in the quality, ambition, and the organisation.
  The net is now cast wider, although a small team it is organised and well run by Tony Cooke and the coaches are committed and very good at what they do and demanding of their charges the youngsters.
  We will never have the most money thrown at the youth set up, and in fairness a couple of years ago it was probably at a low ebb, it isn't now and is well regarded by other clubs who constantly monitor our young teams as they are a force to be reckoned with in the age groups.
  We do need  Amos, Greaves, and Jones to kick on to cement faith in the system with the supporters and then to follow on with others such as Horton. That will take time over the next few years and whether it will happen is up to mainly the young players to show they are good enough and be given the chance to do so. But we are probably in the best place we have been in to do so now than we have been for a long time and quite a few youngsters not yet on the radar look very very promising, but if anyone knows of a young striker that scores for fun please let the club know.

Out of interest what would you say the difference recently? Change in leadership or just everything coming together?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on July 04, 2020, 05:10:45 pm by selby »
  McCann showed interest The current management definitely, demanding higher standards  and the quality of the staff from Tony Cooke down who put in a hell of a lot of work and time into what has to be said limited resource, but are never the less far better than some other clubs have.
   The leadership will always come from the top, and we have some good people in the club who have high standards when it comes to the standard of young players they are looking for and are always looking for better which is how it should be.
  I can honestly say that the way youngsters are looked after and the coaching and chance they have to impress will be as good as any other side, and if they have the ability to become professional football league players they could do worse than come to Doncaster Rovers.

Adwick Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 04, 2020, 09:50:18 pm by Adwick Rover »
“but if anyone knows of a young striker that scores for fun please let the club know.”

Just released one of those who was the Youth team record goal scorer last season!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on July 04, 2020, 09:54:11 pm by DonnyOsmond »
We've had Peterson, McKay and Ball too who none have made it.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on July 04, 2020, 10:32:33 pm by IDM »

Not sure what you mean by your second last sentence..?

Age and longevity doesn’t necessarily mean folks have to agree with you.

In sixty years you will have seen a hell of a lot of ups and downs following this club, which makes your assertion that having too many loanees would prevent you from attending games seem more than a little odd, don’t you think.?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012