Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:38:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Well done Boris  (Read 2273 times)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Well done Boris
« on July 05, 2020, 10:15:45 pm by wilts rover »
In the latest of my random posts praising Tory policies and politicians, big news just coming out of £1.5 billion of government moneys to help, theatres, music venues and museums.

Like everyone else I wait to see the detail but certainly looks good news.

Interesting that it is coming out under Johnson's name rather than Sunak or the Culture Minister who you would expect to be announcing financial packages for the cultural sector, but well done anyway.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Well done Boris
« Reply #1 on July 05, 2020, 11:15:28 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Interestingly I saw a graph this evening showing Premier league tickets sold/attendances compared to Theatre/music tickets sold I think it was 2018 stats  Theatres were well well above above premier league

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 05, 2020, 11:37:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I'd missed that news Wilts, but it is certainly good news. And very much needed.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 06, 2020, 08:17:23 am by IDM »
I’ve said before and I will say it again, the chancellor and the financial aid are the most positive things coming out of this government.  Yes there have been loopholes where some people have fallen through, but in general the financial assistance has been very welcome:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 06, 2020, 08:34:10 am by drfchound »
Interestingly I saw a graph this evening showing Premier league tickets sold/attendances compared to Theatre/music tickets sold I think it was 2018 stats  Theatres were well well above above premier league

TBF Daggers, although I had never thought about that before, I would think that it isn’t too surprising.
There are far more theatres and music events than there are PL teams and the theatres can have performances every day whereas the PL teams play probably five times a month.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 09:12:43 am by drfchound »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 06, 2020, 09:00:54 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Be interesting to see who gets what though, that is important detail.  Hopefully it's the lower paid and smaller type venues who benefit.  Perhaps also they could think a little more about making certain parts of the industry accessible to all of us in society.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 06, 2020, 09:18:03 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Be interesting to see who gets what though, that is important detail.  Hopefully it's the lower paid and smaller type venues who benefit.  Perhaps also they could think a little more about making certain parts of the industry accessible to all of us in society.

What?? We can't have the oiks coming to the opera!!

bahrain rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 06, 2020, 09:23:32 am by bahrain rover »
This is very good news as it spreads out even further than just the venues themselves. Up and coming bands/actors and artists will all feel it. On a personal note my son works at the Leadmill in Sheffield, and has been very concerned for its future existence.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 06, 2020, 09:30:01 am by Donnywolf »

Which one has the better actors I wonder ?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 06, 2020, 09:39:44 am by selby »
  The Royal theatre and the opera house milk grants under normal circumstances with millions in grants. If the paying public had to pay the cost of staging the Ballet and Opera the price of  ticket would be astronomical.
  The paying public at football games pay in to the exchequer with VAT  payments and the clubs pay business rates, and as yet have not had a scratched arse from the government.
   Also millions have been siphoned off by setting up film companies for tax avoidance purposes within that arts industry.
  Rashford has raised millions for school meals and has changed governments approach to that subject, while I have not heard about any of our superstar film and pop stars do much apart from moan of the money them and their industry is losing, while sitting on their sun loungers on their islands waiting for gigs to start again.
   I don't include by the way small local regional theatre in this, that does deserve to be supported, as do the smaller galleries and museums etc. but the top of the tree have had their snout in the trough long enough, while the main players have swanned off flying around the world to their tax havens, often telling us how badly we are living our lives, and you just know that the London elite will gobble up this grant and think they deserve more.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 06, 2020, 10:19:47 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Superstars perhaps not selby but some have done some great volunteering work (eg jason manford).

But at the top end where a theatre ticket can cost well in excess of £100 and people such as Andrew Lloyd Webber have £800m behind them it's hard to have sympathy.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 06, 2020, 10:42:22 am by selby »
  In fairness bfyp, I have heard on talk radio that Andrew Lloyd Webber is one of the few that has put a significant sum of money in, the point is what to, they say the industry in London generates millions, which no doubt it does, but after 12 weeks they are claiming they have nothing.
  So where do all the millions go to claim destitution in such a short period of time? when it is obvious that some have generated vast wealth for themselves and have the gall to swan it off telling the rest of the population how to live their lives to save the planet while flying all over the world, and twelve weeks after are crying wolf and wanting the government to save their way of life.
  If the government had put those amounts into the industrial areas in the north and midlands twenty years ago the de-industrialisation in those areas would have by now probably made a recovery and the living standards in those areas would be substantially different. And both main political parties were equally culpable in that matter over time.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 06, 2020, 11:06:26 am by SydneyRover »
One major difference selby was the vast fortune from North Sea Oil which was pissed up against the wall by thatcher in the form of tax cuts which should have been spent retooling and reinvigorating the old industrial areas.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 06, 2020, 12:19:01 pm by selby »
No argument from me there Syd, but the Blair years did just the same, in fact they destroyed more of the coal fields than Thatcher.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 06, 2020, 01:16:31 pm by idler »
Weren't we trying to move away from coal though to cleaner fuels?
We should have invested in alternatives or is that what you meant about Blair, neglecting the population rather than the industry?

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 06, 2020, 01:51:01 pm by Not Now Kato »
No argument from me there Syd, but the Blair years did just the same, in fact they destroyed more of the coal fields than Thatcher.

The issue wasn't the closing of Pits selby, (either by Thatcher or by Blair), it was the failure to retrain and reinvest in the people who lost their jobs either directly or indirectly.  In this, both the Tories and Labour were equally culpable.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 06, 2020, 05:37:20 pm by selby »
 Kato, agreed the Tories were downright cynical in wanting to punish the areas that had stood against and tried to bring them down when in power.
  And the labour party wanted the south of England to know that they were no longer beholden to their heartlands and ignored their plight, realising that they had to attract the immigrant and socially deprived communities in the South East to replace them, which they have done with some success.
  The problem they have is that because of their policies over the last 30 years is that gradually places like the mining villages have attracted new housing estates of private properties, whose affordable prices and travelling distance is near enough to Leeds, Sheffield , Bradford etc. and has attracted  new generations who no longer think they are the typical Labour voters.  Brexit has been blamed for voters turning away from Labour in those areas, but partly they failed to recognise the fact that investment has been mainly in the south of England, and people in their historical areas have moved on, and the population in those areas are no longer grouped together in large numbers at work where the unions had influence but travel to nearby towns and cities with a more affluent middle class living standard.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 06, 2020, 07:23:31 pm by drfchound »
Nice to see that a Goole has been awarded a train building project.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 06, 2020, 10:36:30 pm by selby »
 A massive investment Hound, in a constituency with a very good MP Andrew Percy a conservative who has worked hard towards the contract being awarded to Goole.
 After living in Askern and Norton the difference between him and his interaction with his constituents in a small village and the lack of being bothered by such as Milliband is different gravy.
 As local MP's they do not compare.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 07, 2020, 06:26:30 am by Not Now Kato »
A massive investment Hound, in a constituency with a very good MP Andrew Percy a conservative who has worked hard towards the contract being awarded to Goole.
 After living in Askern and Norton the difference between him and his interaction with his constituents in a small village and the lack of being bothered by such as Milliband is different gravy.

A little research would show you that he doesn't really vote in the interests of the majority of his constituents....

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24832/andrew_percy/brigg_and_goole/votes

Unless everyone in the Brigg and Goole area are all millionaires!

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 07, 2020, 07:57:54 am by Herbert Anchovy »

I was recently reading interviews by a number of Millibands constituents on a Facebook page who were praising the support he’d been providing. One lady in particular who’d been struggling to get support for her daughter with special needs. She approached Milliband and she got all the help she needed.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 08:12:41 am by Herbert Anchovy »

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 07, 2020, 08:01:49 am by Herbert Anchovy »

The issue wasn't the closing of Pits selby, (either by Thatcher or by Blair), it was the failure to retrain and reinvest in the people who lost their jobs either directly or indirectly.  In this, both the Tories and Labour were equally culpable.

And let’s not forget that the EEC and the EU wholeheartedly supported Thatchers pit closure policy in the U.K.  They supported the negotiations to purchase cheap Eastern European coal as part facilitator to improve economic trade between East & West Europe. I remember seeing it reported at the time of the strike.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 08:13:30 am by Herbert Anchovy »

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 07, 2020, 08:43:37 am by Not Now Kato »

I was recently reading interviews by a number of Millibands constituents on a Facebook page who were praising the support he’d been providing. One lady in particular who’d been struggling to get support for her daughter with special needs. She approached Milliband and she got all the help she needed.

Indeed.  He provided invaluable assistance to my 90 year old Mum.  Doncaster council responded very quickly the minute he got involved.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 07, 2020, 09:08:20 am by drfchound »

A little research would show you that he doesn't really vote in the interests of the majority of his constituents....

And yet he got a enough votes to win the seat.
Strange that.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 07, 2020, 09:35:34 am by Not Now Kato »

Strange that.

There's nowt so predictable as the voting habits of the gullible.  Promise to deliver milk, honey and unicorns, (knowing that you can't), and they'll jump through hoops to vote for you. 

People get the politicians and government they deserve.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on July 07, 2020, 09:46:43 am by SydneyRover »
As has been said before if people voted for the party that looked after their needs best the tories would not be required.

Maybe some that vote at odds with this think of themselves as middle or upper class than as working class? or maybe they don't think too deeply about it at all.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 07, 2020, 09:55:42 am by selby »
  Quite happy he looks after my interests then Kato

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 07, 2020, 10:03:28 am by Not Now Kato »
  Quite happy he looks after my interests then Kato

So, you don't care about his less well off constituents then selby?  It's clear he doesn't.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on July 07, 2020, 10:19:39 am by selby »
  Yes I do Kato, and I don't see a lot there that says he is not bothered either, and the Millibands of this world are not that bothered any more than he is I can assure you.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 07, 2020, 10:21:45 am by drfchound »

Strange that.

There's nowt so predictable as the voting habits of the gullible.  Promise to deliver milk, honey and unicorns, (knowing that you can't), and they'll jump through hoops to vote for you. 

People get the politicians and government they deserve.

Not really.
People get the government that wins the election.
(Just a note to remind you that I didn’t vote Tory by the way).

TinyPortal © 2005-2012