Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:44:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A wyked Wycombe Quiz  (Read 3284 times)

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
Re: A wyked Wycombe Quiz
« Reply #30 on July 13, 2020, 10:03:53 am by Colemans Left Hook »
Your hints are seemingly trying to guide us towards Newcastle United winning the UEFA Fairs Cup after finishing 10th the previous season.

But 10th in the old First Division isn't lower than 8th in the third tier

viva  well done    :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
 my memory thought they finished as high as 8th so i was even more shocked when i checked my facts and saw they finished 10th and still got into Europe

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on July 13, 2020, 10:17:09 am by IDM »
Your question was confusing as we all thought you meant in the 3rd division.

Are you saying Newcastle qualified for that competition for the following season, having finished 10th.?

Maybe it was an invitation thing.?

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 13, 2020, 03:03:12 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

Are you saying Newcastle qualified for that competition for the following season, having finished 10th.?

nope i remember them talking about the possibility of them qualifying for Europe before they finished 10th with the if and more if's British teams must have won a lot of those european competitions or some British team won at least 2  " competitions ... so couldnt qualify twice

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 13, 2020, 03:06:39 pm by drfchound »

It never crossed my mind that CLH meant the third division IDM.
He just said “in the league” not in league one.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 13, 2020, 03:07:35 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
ok here is the real reason

"The Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, which morphed into the UEFA Cup just two seasons after Newcastle’s first competitive overseas adventure in 1968/69, was a typically European affair – a botched attempt at bringing the continent closer together through a mish-mash of rules that meant the Magpies reached the tournament despite having finished 10th in the First Division the previous season.

Newcastle essentially qualified by virtue of being a one-city team, a ruling which dated back to when the tournament was less about football and more about the celebration of trade fairs."

which i presume might have ruled out the city of Manchester from competing sheffield and maybe Birmingham ??  as if they might have been high enough thinking about it it ruled out LONDON TEAMS since there is more than one   that looks like the killer !!!

tottenham and Arsenal were not allowed in due to the rules   it gets better EVERTON WERE ALSO NOT ALLOWED IN
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/forty-six-years-hurt-remembering-newcastles-european-triumph-1969

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967%E2%80%9368_Football_League#Final_league_tables_and_results

which reminds me of another "back door winner" in  1992 when Denmark were knocked out of the European competition and invited back in when Yugoslavia "Split "   and won it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 03:26:08 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on July 13, 2020, 03:25:21 pm by IDM »
Maybe I mis-remember but didn’t England enter the first European Cup with a team representing London.?

Just checked, according to wiki a London team was entered into the first Fairs Cup.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 03:30:46 pm by IDM »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 13, 2020, 10:19:28 pm by Campsall rover »
Swindon Town won the League Cup while a third division club.
If I remember right we did the double over them even though we were relegated. 1-0 both games.
1969 Swindon beat Arsenal and Rovers were 4th division Champions.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on July 13, 2020, 10:38:26 pm by idler »
I thought later that I might have combined two seasons there.😳
1966/67 we did double and went down.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012