Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:50:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Redundancies  (Read 4577 times)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Redundancies
« on July 08, 2020, 07:30:21 pm by steve@dcfd »
Quote from Liam Holden freepress
“Staff across the Club Doncaster organisation - including the Rovers coaching team - have entered a period of consultation, with numerous jobs set to be lost in the coming weeks.

The precise number of jobs to be cut has yet to be revealed.
A club spokesperson confirmed the redundancy programme was underway and said the situation was ‘unavoidable’ due to the financial impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.”

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Compulsary redundancies
« Reply #1 on July 08, 2020, 07:34:04 pm by silent majority »
Redundancies will be taking place at the club within the next few weeks. Consultation is taking place already, but it does bring home how difficult these times are for football clubs. The only hope I can offer is that it could be worse, much worse. However the response to IRSWT has been positive, and we have to support where we can.

We really can't be talking about new signings at a time like this. For those about to lose their jobs and careers it must be incredibly difficult.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
Re: Redundancies
« Reply #2 on July 08, 2020, 07:34:27 pm by tyke1962 »
Oh dear that is sad to read .

Very worrying times are these for our clubs but inevitable unfortunately .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 08, 2020, 07:41:48 pm by drfchound »
I suppose it was inevitable that this would happen.
Will this have an impact on the signing of players.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 08, 2020, 07:44:08 pm by since-1969 »
I suppose it was inevitable that this would happen.
Will this have an impact on the signing of players.
3 steps back to take 1 step closer ! Survival is the game now . 

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 08, 2020, 07:47:36 pm by drfchound »
Absolutely it is.
Lots of clubs are likely to have a lot less quality on the pitch next season.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 08, 2020, 07:51:55 pm by dknward2 »
Can't believe this when our owners are worth millions.

Yes we don't know how many staff and how much money we are talking but surely it won't be that for much money and for long.

If we go back to playing in September but fans aren't let in till say November we are talking about 6 months.

If the owners can't cover the wage for say 6 months then I really fear for the club in the future.

Wonder if this includes our u23 staff as we won't have a full team. Also if Baldwin is included as he really important to Club Doncaster as a whole

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 08, 2020, 08:00:34 pm by drfchound »
But no one knows when fans will be allowed back into the stadiums.
Personally I will be surprised if it will be before 2021 arrives.

ian1980

• Forum Member
Re: Compulsary redundancies
« Reply #8 on July 08, 2020, 08:08:30 pm by ian1980 »
I think it was inevitable really SM and anyone who thought otherwise and that everything would just return to normal has their head in the sand.

Just like many other businesses, it’s all about survival right now and unfortunately that will mean redundancies and cost cutting.

A very worrying time for the club and many other businesses. As SM says though, I suspect Club Doncaster will be in a far better position than many other football clubs.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 08, 2020, 08:10:00 pm by Campsall rover »
Can't believe this when our owners are worth millions.

Yes we don't know how many staff and how much money we are talking but surely it won't be that for much money and for long.

If we go back to playing in September but fans aren't let in till say November we are talking about 6 months.

If the owners can't cover the wage for say 6 months then I really fear for the club in the future.

Wonder if this includes our u23 staff as we won't have a full team. Also if Baldwin is included as he really important to Club Doncaster as a whole
Wondered how long it would be before someone criticised the board.
I think you need to get real. Our owners should not be expected to be a daily cash cow. They already have just put in a substantial amount to help the club stay afloat.
Just like every other business during this pandemic the club needs to be run in a financially responsible way.
Cut backs are not what any of us want to see, but we all have to be realistic and live in the real world.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 10:31:37 pm by Campsall rover »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 08, 2020, 08:13:36 pm by roversdude »
Are these staff who are already on furlough?

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Compulsary redundancies
« Reply #11 on July 08, 2020, 08:15:04 pm by silent majority »
We now have 2 threads on the same subject.  :zzz:

Apologies Campsall, I'll merge the two.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 08, 2020, 08:28:58 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Can't we keep them on furlough as long as possible?

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 08, 2020, 08:38:48 pm by dknward2 »
Ok then seems strange to pay for relaying the pitch when we haven't played for months and won't do either surely it isn't in that bad a state.

I assume that the staff will be made redundant as of 1st October so they get furloughed until then

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 08, 2020, 08:48:28 pm by selby »
  The new structure to retaining employees until January announced by the government today may and hopefully make a difference to this outcome, I hope so, and something for the club to consider hopefully before pulling the trigger.
  Also by January things could look a lot brighter both with crowds allowed back in some form and a vaccine on the orison.
  Hopefully the club will take the new government initiative into consideration and at least discuss it before taking any action.

Beerseller

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 08, 2020, 08:58:33 pm by Beerseller »
As far as I’m aware, there’s a 45 day notice period for redundancies. That would take us towards the end of August.

From 1st September employers have to contribute a minimum 10% of salary to someone on furlough. From 1st October that increases to 20%. At present there is no obligation to pay any extra.

My business is completely different to DRFC but in my situation, I re-opened last week using the part time furlough for my staff. I’m now only losing £200 a week instead of just over £300 if I stayed closed. By 1st October, if takings haven’t improved, I’ll be losing just over £300 a week open or closed. When the furlough scheme ends, on those figures I’d have to close permanently. My guess is that DRFC have made projections along similar lines but with much larger sums of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 08, 2020, 09:00:33 pm by ian1980 »
As far as I’m aware, there’s a 45 day notice period for redundancies. That would take us towards the end of August.

From 1st September employers have to contribute a minimum 10% of salary to someone on furlough. From 1st October that increases to 20%. At present there is no obligation to pay any extra.

My business is completely different to DRFC but in my situation, I re-opened last week using the part time furlough for my staff. I’m now only losing £200 a week instead of just over £300 if I stayed closed. By 1st October, if takings haven’t improved, I’ll be losing just over £300 a week open or closed. When the furlough scheme ends, on those figures I’d have to close permanently. My guess is that DRFC have made projections along similar lines but with much larger sums of money.

Absolutely right. And it’s £1000 per employee if you keep them employed until January. So you’d have to pay someone’s salary for three months to get £1000 back. When you have no (or very little) income, that’s still a decent cost to fund.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 08, 2020, 09:31:38 pm by rich1471 »

Absolutely right. And it’s £1000 per employee if you keep them employed until January. So you’d have to pay someone’s salary for three months to get £1000 back. When you have no (or very little) income, that’s still a decent cost to fund.
Explaining how it will work, the chancellor said: "If you're an employer and you bring back someone who was furloughed - and continuously employ them through to January - we'll pay you a £1,000 bonus per employee.

"It's vital people aren't just returning for the sake of it - they need to be doing decent work.

"So for businesses to get the bonus, the employee must be paid at least £520 on average, in each month from November to the end of January - the equivalent of the lower earnings limit in National Insurance." from the bbc

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 08, 2020, 10:52:07 pm by scawsby steve »
But no one knows when fans will be allowed back into the stadiums.
Personally I will be surprised if it will be before 2021 arrives.

If that happens mate, I think it will be the end of many League 1 and League 2 clubs.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 08, 2020, 11:31:13 pm by Retdon1 »
If u look at how they have restarted the rugby league season in Australia in regards to crowds then hopefully by the time the season restarts In late September we will be playing in front of crowds albeit it will more than likely be a reduced capacity but even at 50% we will fit in every rovers fan that wants to attend

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 09, 2020, 08:30:21 am by Alan Southstand »
I’m a bit confused with the term redundant. The way I understand it, redundancy refers to the role, that is you are making the job redundant and not the individual. Therefore, you can’t set anyone else on in that particular job/role.

The affect is the same - people have gone from the Club - but does it mean nobody can be re-employed into those particular jobs, when things pick up again, as they surely will.

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 09, 2020, 08:35:01 am by Frankie Rennie »
I agree Retdon1, assuming no catastrophe before September I think crowds will be allowed back into grounds in limited numbers. Thankfully clubs like Donny with modern stadiums should be ok but I fear for some of the clubs with older, smaller grounds. I do though expect several clubs going into admin before then because the financials must be strained already.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 09, 2020, 08:44:33 am by IDM »
I’m a bit confused with the term redundant. The way I understand it, redundancy refers to the role, that is you are making the job redundant and not the individual. Therefore, you can’t set anyone else on in that particular job/role.

The affect is the same - people have gone from the Club - but does it mean nobody can be re-employed into those particular jobs, when things pick up again, as they surely will.

There’s nothing to say that posts made redundant cannot be re-established later.?

I’m not sure on the rules on re-employing people in effectively the same roles later, if they have received redundancy pay.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on July 09, 2020, 08:47:57 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Didn't S_M say there is a 45 day consultation period?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 09, 2020, 08:50:00 am by drfchound »
But surely that refers to the decisions about who is to be made redundant.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 09, 2020, 09:23:02 am by the vicar »
Redundancies will be taking place at the club within the next few weeks. Consultation is taking place already, but it does bring home how difficult these times are for football clubs. The only hope I can offer is that it could be worse, much worse. However the response to IRSWT has been positive, and we have to support where we can.

We really can't be talking about new signings at a time like this. For those about to lose their jobs and careers it must be incredibly difficult.
SMWhen I said all this was going to happen people said I didn’t know what I was saying and poured scorn on it, they said we had enough money streaming things to thrive and when I said most of not all of them have dried up through the virus, but as I said then company’s have other things to do without funding Rovers.  Now we will have Some fans not coming back for a good time through ether financial or finding other things to do or not trusting big crowds

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 09, 2020, 09:27:14 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

SMWhen I said all this was going to happen people said I didn’t know what I was saying and poured scorn on it, they said we had enough money streaming things to thrive and when I said most of not all of them have dried up through the virus, but as I said then company’s have other things to do without funding Rovers.  Now we will have Some fans not coming back for a good time through ether financial or finding other things to do or not trusting big crowds

You didn't say that was specifically was going to happen. You said it will be worse than the Richardson era!

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 09, 2020, 09:36:52 am by the vicar »
No I did not say that in that context, it was a comparison to the magnitude of the situation, just read it again and you might be able to engage your brain with your mouth, Even SM said it was correct what I said
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 09:49:41 am by the vicar »

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 09, 2020, 09:41:48 am by ian1980 »
Didn't S_M say there is a 45 day consultation period?

The 45 consultation period is the time between announcing redundancies and the actual redundancy end date (the date people leave employment).

The 45 day consultation period is to consult with those staff members that could be effected by the redundancies, look for ways redundancies could be avoided (reduced working hours, job sharing etc) and ultimately decide which employees will be made redundant at the end of the consultation period.

You can re-employee into that role at a later date (not sure on a time limit) but you need to be able to justify why the role was made redundant at the time and is then being re appointed and not that it’s been used to get rid of under performing staff. In this situation the justification would be quite easy to justify given the total reduction in income making the role unsustainable.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 09:43:57 am by ian1980 »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on July 09, 2020, 09:55:19 am by IDM »
Sorry vicar but you did say the current situation could be worse than the Richardson era.

The rest of your concerns were genuine and logical under the worrying times we all face, however your reference to Richardson deflected the point in the perspective of other forum users.

I hope you can see that.?

The difference is that during the Richardson debacle we faced those challenges alone, whereas now many if not most league one and two clubs are in similar precarious positions.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012