Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 11:22:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: British prudishness  (Read 2604 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
British prudishness
« on July 10, 2020, 12:20:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
Re: British prudishness
« Reply #1 on July 10, 2020, 12:31:54 pm by Not Now Kato »
'Eat Out to Help Out' is yet another Cummings sound bite designed to fool the gullible!

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 10, 2020, 01:47:15 pm by tyke1962 »
Well I like a good drink but me and our lass tend to go out for meals as she's not a drinker so I booze at home .

We generally go out two or three times a week for our tea or sunday lunch .

You wouldn't get me in a pub if it was a penny a pint or both of us going out for a meal at a £1 a head .

Absolutely no confidence it's safe to do so .

So as far as these two Mr and Mrs Joe Punter are concerned Sunak's wasting his time .

They might want to get a grip on the real issue , the virus is very much still amongst us , it's the potential to end our lives abruptly if we catch it .

Social distancing and staying at home as much as possible seems to be the thing that gives you the best chance of not catching it .

I'm a yorkshireman who likes a bargain but it's not so much a bargain in hospital relying on a ventilator to keep me alive .

Shove the discounts up your pipe Sunak and solve the actual issue you clown .

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 10, 2020, 02:08:14 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Perhaps there could be an option for people such as yourself tyke to contribute to those who would lose jobs if we all had your attitude?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 10, 2020, 03:03:50 pm by selby »
bfyp, but Tyke is entitled to his opinion, and if some of those workers who may lose their jobs, especially those on zero hour contracts now, had backed the likes of Tyke who had the balls to strike for a full year, and who the Labour leader of the time and the party left men like him hung out to dry, and the other trade unions who looked after themselves, some making big money importing foreign coal and other spin offs, then perhaps the trade unions in this country and the labour party would not be having to shout so loudly how bad things are for them now.
  When it comes to having balls, downright cussedness, and pride I think  you have picked the wrong suspect to try and belittle there buddy.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 03:11:09 pm by selby »

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 10, 2020, 03:07:19 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
bfyp, but Tyke is entitled to his opinion, and if some of those workers who may lose their jobs, especially those on zero hour contracts now, had backed the likes of Tyke who had the balls to strike for a full year, and who the Labour leader of the time and the party left men like him hung out to dry, and the other trade unions who looked after themselves, some making big money importing foreign coal and other spin offs, then perhaps the trade unions in this country and the labour party would not be having to shout so loudly how bad things are for them now.

Selby most of them affected will be youngsters and like myself weren't even born.  Bear in mind these 16-20 year olds were born in the 2000s.  I'm not sure we can relate a serious issue of today to something that happened a generation ago.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 10, 2020, 03:14:35 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Well I like a good drink but me and our lass tend to go out for meals as she's not a drinker so I booze at home .

We generally go out two or three times a week for our tea or sunday lunch .

You wouldn't get me in a pub if it was a penny a pint or both of us going out for a meal at a £1 a head .

Absolutely no confidence it's safe to do so .

So as far as these two Mr and Mrs Joe Punter are concerned Sunak's wasting his time .

They might want to get a grip on the real issue , the virus is very much still amongst us , it's the potential to end our lives abruptly if we catch it .

Social distancing and staying at home as much as possible seems to be the thing that gives you the best chance of not catching it .

I'm a yorkshireman who likes a bargain but it's not so much a bargain in hospital relying on a ventilator to keep me alive .

Shove the discounts up your pipe Sunak and solve the actual issue you clown .

Perhaps if you understood that the scheme isn't there for the benefit of Mr & Mrs Punter, it's for the benefit of businesses?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 10, 2020, 03:18:32 pm by selby »
  So why do you object to our generations having an opinion and think know nothing?
   Hence the reasons we think you uneducated inexperienced self centred youngsters need to get up off your arses and do something about it instead of partying and snorting coke while chanting woe is me.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 10, 2020, 03:26:07 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
  So why do you object to our generations having an opinion and think know nothing?
   Hence the reasons we think you uneducated inexperienced self centred youngsters need to get up off your arses and do something about it instead of partying and snorting coke while chanting woe is me.

Why? Maybe it's because you (nobody else, mind) come out with ignorant abusive rants like that one. Repeatedly.

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 10, 2020, 03:35:08 pm by knockers »
  When it comes to having balls, downright cussedness, and pride I think  you have picked the wrong suspect to try and belittle there buddy.

Maybe a lot of them wanted to go back but didn't have the balls to do so due to the repercussions they would have faced-Two sides to every story!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 10, 2020, 03:40:56 pm by selby »
  Was that the reason the Labour party and other unions did nothing for them then Knockers?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 10, 2020, 04:02:43 pm by wilts rover »
I think Tyke has got straight to the issue for this part of Sunacks' proposals.

It's not cost that is stopping people going out more. It's health.

I am afraid this government with all its failures to date saying 'its fine to go out and eat' is like the captain of the Titanic saying its safe to sail through a field of icebergs. I mean it's not as if Johnson, Cummings and the like know how to stay safe - they all caught it.

Start coming up with ideas for ways to create work. Cook school meals and deliver them. Or for pensioners. Or people with food bank vouchers.

Thats a far better use of £500m than subsidising dinners for people who can already afford it and were going out anyway.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 10, 2020, 04:27:02 pm by tyke1962 »
Perhaps there could be an option for people such as yourself tyke to contribute to those who would lose jobs if we all had your attitude?

Let me put it to you another way bfyp .

If I came on this board in the peak of the virus which was only 6 weeks ago and told you my local was open through the back door entrance and I was having a few pints every night to support my local boozer , how would you have reacted to that ?

I suspect you'd have been horrified and called me and rightly so as selfish and stupid .

So what's exactly changed here then since the peak ? .

Has the virus run its course and gone away ? , nope .

Have we a vaccination and everyone is vaccinated against the disease ? , nope .

Do we even have an effective track , trace and isolate system in place ? , nope that hasn't happened either .

We have a government who have handled this pandemic so appallingly from the beginning we have the third highest death rate in the world .

We have a government who have told a catalogue of lies throughout and can't even be trusted to tell you the right time , never mind keep you safe with their words and actions .

In fact the only reason we've got the death
 and the infection rate down is precisely because nobody's gone to the pub or  to a restaurant to eat .

So going on that evidence why would when nothing's changed would it be a good idea to once again go out for a pint and a bite to eat and put yourself and others at risk ? .

The government aren't capable of leading during this crisis so I've deduced not to listen to a single word they say and I'll lead myself and my family through this on our own .

When the second wave arrives as it inevitably will my conscience will be far more intact knowing I've stayed away from the pub , not contacted the disease and not infected others by definition rather than protecting the jobs and economy of the hospitality sector .

No the government should be doing that , not I and they'd be well advised to extend and support these businesses rather than token half baked offers that have the capacity to kill more people than they already have .

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 10, 2020, 04:54:49 pm by River Don »
I haven't been rushing back to the pub and I won't be going for a meal in a restaurant anytime soon, it doesn't matter to me how much of the bill the chancellor is willing to pick up. It's completely a health issue and not just my own, I'm in regular contact with vulnerable people in the older at risk age groups. I don't want to be the one who accidentally introduces CV19 to a building full of retired people, many of whom have underlying health conditions. It really isn't worth me taking the risk, whilst the virus  is still so prevalent.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 10, 2020, 05:35:41 pm by scawsby steve »
This is why I can't understand Rovers fans seriously thinking there's going to be anything resembling a League 1 season in 2020/21.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 10, 2020, 05:51:24 pm by River Don »
I see Johnson wants people to go back to the office, which again I feel is an unnecessary risk for many. It's not just the office environment, it's the increase in use of public transport, particularly on the London Underground.

It seems with the R number verging on 1 and quite possible above 1 in the SW, they have pretty much removed all restrictions now... Except for the introduction of face masks, which we were told not so long ago don't particularly work.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 10, 2020, 06:12:42 pm by IDM »
We have been told we are to work from home until 1 September at the earliest.  Some of us may end up doing that for longer.

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 10, 2020, 06:31:25 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Interesting given that I have no idea how old anyone is on here, nor frankly should it bloody matter.  Rest of your post isn't even worth responding too really.

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 10, 2020, 06:37:53 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

If I came on this board in the peak of the virus which was only 6 weeks ago and told you my local was open through the back door entrance and I was having a few pints every night to support my local boozer , how would you have reacted to that ?

I suspect you'd have been horrified and called me and rightly so as selfish and stupid .

Do we even have an effective track , trace and isolate system in place ? , nope that hasn't happened either .

We have a government who have handled this pandemic so appallingly from the beginning we have the third highest death rate in the world .

We have a government who have told a catalogue of lies throughout and can't even be trusted to tell you the right time , never mind keep you safe with their words and actions .

and the infection rate down is precisely because nobody's gone to the pub or  to a restaurant to eat .

So going on that evidence why would when nothing's changed would it be a good idea to once again go out for a pint and a bite to eat and put yourself and others at risk ? .

The government aren't capable of leading during this crisis so I've deduced not to listen to a single word they say and I'll lead myself and my family through this on our own .

When the second wave arrives as it inevitably will my conscience will be far more intact knowing I've stayed away from the pub , not contacted the disease and not infected others by definition rather than protecting the jobs and economy of the hospitality sector .

No the government should be doing that , not I and they'd be well advised to extend and support these businesses rather than token half baked offers that have the capacity to kill more people than they already have .

Some fair points.

Firstly it's more acceptable now precisely because the rate of infection is reduced thus clearly it is far less likely you'd obtain it in that setting than 6 weeks ago hence the change.  I do think we have to support the economy as a society (yes even tax rises, which most posters in here will know I'm no fan off).

When a second wave comes then tighten it up again but we should be reactive to it, something that was said many a time back in Feb-March.

The point to me remains that we should be doing what we can where we can to support the businesses that need it.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 10, 2020, 06:50:27 pm by selby »
  I went to my local last night to meet up with friends, after 10 pm we were the only ones in the pub, although it is a pub just wet trade no food. I was impressed with the things they have introduced to make things safer and will go again but like last night on the quieter nights, so no weekends, and later arrivals for a while.
 Under normal circumstances it is a very busy establishment in an affluent village popular with locals and people from the surrounding area.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 10, 2020, 07:14:54 pm by tyke1962 »

Some fair points.

Firstly it's more acceptable now precisely because the rate of infection is reduced thus clearly it is far less likely you'd obtain it in that setting than 6 weeks ago hence the change.  I do think we have to support the economy as a society (yes even tax rises, which most posters in here will know I'm no fan off).

When a second wave comes then tighten it up again but we should be reactive to it, something that was said many a time back in Feb-March.

The point to me remains that we should be doing what we can where we can to support the businesses that need it.

It's up to each person to decide how they want to go about things bfyp without the heckling in the back office telling me who I should be supporting .

I most certainly don't need lessons in collectivism and solidarity I can assure you .

If your a younger man then I understand your likely to feel more confident about going to the pub .

Heading towards 60 years of age with a history of chest problems this most certainly isn't a disease I want to be subjected to .

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 10, 2020, 07:36:29 pm by tommy toes »
What about the stamp duty reduction?
I'm so happy that Toby and Hermione can save £15,000 ,on their new half a million house in Guildford.
God knows where they'd have got the money for a hot tub in the garden without it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 10, 2020, 07:40:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Well THAT opened a can of worms.

The good old fashioned euphemism I was alluding to seems to have been too subtle.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 10, 2020, 07:53:02 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
if he had given away "helicopter money" some of you miserable gits on here would stiil have moaned that it was the "wrong type of money"  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

the phrase posting for postings sake come to mind ............

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 10, 2020, 08:07:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Thanks for that contribution CLH. You obviously have decided to totally ignore the universal support in here back in March for the furlough scheme, and decided instead to chuck out an inane insult.

Takes all sorts.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 10, 2020, 08:10:38 pm by wilts rover »
if he had given away "helicopter money" some of you miserable gits on here would stiil have moaned that it was the "wrong type of money"  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

the phrase posting for postings sake come to mind ............

Mr Pot...

meet Mr Kettle...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 10, 2020, 08:48:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

There is a better solution. It's blindingly obvious.

Govt continues to spend massively to underpin perfectly viable jobs which could be taken up again safely when we have properly got the infection rate down.

And in future, we all pay this back by working hard and paying tax.

That way, the job losses are minimised without compromising people's health.

Perfectly simple really.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 09:22:00 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 10, 2020, 09:59:44 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Well THAT opened a can of worms.

The good old fashioned euphemism I was alluding to seems to have been too subtle.

It's got worse on the evening news. Beauticians complaining that a man can get his beard trimmed in lockdown but a woman can't get a facial.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on July 10, 2020, 11:42:24 pm by SydneyRover »
If the government wants to boost the economy all it has to do is get the negotiations over with quick smart which ever way they want to go just do it, around £200bn has been lost daudling around, if they had signed off the bllody deal they could have started paving the streets with gold and everone would be rich already  :)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on July 11, 2020, 07:12:34 am by Donnywolf »
We have been told we are to work from home until 1 September at the earliest.  Some of us may end up doing that for longer.

... and unortunately some will be just staying at home rather than working from home.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012