Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:37:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: King's College  (Read 1581 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
King's College
« on July 13, 2020, 04:15:34 pm by scawsby steve »
Researchers at King's College have apparently done a long study on immunity to Covid19, and have found evidence that antibodies to the virus tend to last only a few months, which puts doubts on the effectiveness of a vaccine.

This could mean that a new vaccine might have to be formulated each year, and we may have to live with this virus as we do with the common cold.

Not looking good this, and neither is the future of football. Clubs like Rovers couldn't survive on stadiums running on a third of their capacity.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: King's College
« Reply #1 on July 13, 2020, 04:19:34 pm by Filo »
I’m sure I read somewhere that as the virus mutates it will become less deadly, if that is the case I wonder if what we are seeing at present is just that, we’ve had large gatherings with the likes of VE day, BLM protests, pack beaches during the warm weather, but no spike in the infection rates

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 13, 2020, 04:26:02 pm by scawsby steve »
I’m sure I read somewhere that as the virus mutates it will become less deadly, if that is the case I wonder if what we are seeing at present is just that, we’ve had large gatherings with the likes of VE day, BLM protests, pack beaches during the warm weather, but no spike in the infection rates

I've been thinking the same thing Filo. At the moment, I'd risk a normal capacity at the Rovers, as long as there is compulsory wearing of masks, and hand sanitisers outside the turnstiles, enforced by stewards.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 13, 2020, 05:36:51 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Researchers at King's College have apparently done a long study on immunity to Covid19, and have found evidence that antibodies to the virus tend to last only a few months, which puts doubts on the effectiveness of a vaccine.

This could mean that a new vaccine might have to be formulated each year, and we may have to live with this virus as we do with the common cold.

Not looking good this, and neither is the future of football. Clubs like Rovers couldn't survive on stadiums running on a third of their capacity.

I did an antibody test for that research about a month ago. Just before xmas I had a "chest infection" I have never been so ill with an infection although covid 19 wasn't apparently about then. I have my doubts, however the antibody test came back as negative  although it states it is not 100% (it doesnt say how effective it was though)

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 13, 2020, 05:44:50 pm by River Don »

I don't think there is any evidence it has mutated that much yet. The only study I've read about is the one from the Sheffield Uni in partnership with an American institution that successfully identified a Chinese strain and a European strain. The European strain is more infectious apparently.

That's not to say in time the virus might not mutate and become less harmful. I think that is what is happening with HIV AIDS.

What happened to the Spanish flu? It seemed to vanish after three or four years, is that a case of it mutating, becoming less harmful and then just going unnoticed? Just another nasty bug that lies you low for a while?

Edit: just looked it up and that is what they think happened with Spanish flu. The virus itself was a variant of Russian flu, this is why older people who had been exposed to that had some immunity. After a couple of nasty waves, the virus subsided as distancing measures began to work. Then the virus began to change, and it stopped being noticed. Apparently it's genetic signature can still be found in some modern flu.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 06:32:03 pm by River Don »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 13, 2020, 05:51:31 pm by River Don »
Thinking on, what has really made a difference with AIDS is the discovery of antiviral drugs that have allowed the virus to be controlled.

It maybe that this might be a more succesful avenue with Covid than a vaccine, given that antibodies aren't strong against Covid. Already we have seen a breakthrough in this direction for those who are seriously ill and that I would imagine opens up a whole avenue of study in the search for more effective drugs.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 15, 2020, 06:22:59 am by Donnywolf »

I've been thinking the same thing Filo. At the moment, I'd risk a normal capacity at the Rovers, as long as there is compulsory wearing of masks, and hand sanitisers outside the turnstiles, enforced by stewards.

I dont think there would be a normal capacity because I for one will not go until I am satisfied that it is safe to do so and I cant explain the criteria that will bring me to that decision

Talking to others I know they seem to be saying much the same and but they are quite comfortably in the 60 plus age group

Nobody loves a Pub more than me and 2 or 3 in particular where I love going will be looking up as the doors open and thinking - where is he ? Again at the moment I just dont fancy it and I am sure many many others wont while some of course (their choice) will
I have been to my little pub in Clee but there it is solely outside and tonight in a rare rush of blood I am off to Pizzatrail at Scarborough Arms Tickhill again totally outside I am assured - if not I wide hide away and leave asap - playing the 5 game

Im dying for a drink - but I dont want it to kill me.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 06:39:31 am by Donnywolf »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 15, 2020, 09:25:24 am by idler »
I'm meeting a mate at 4 on Friday in my local. It opens at 4 so a pint of each guest ale and home for 6:15. It will be quiet as it has been on both previous occasions.
It is a matter of being sensible.
The Lane Ends about a mile away opened at 6:00 am the first Saturday and the landlord had to call the police at tea time to close it. Full of numptys getting four bottles for a tenner.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 15, 2020, 04:02:13 pm by scawsby steve »

I dont think there would be a normal capacity because I for one will not go until I am satisfied that it is safe to do so and I cant explain the criteria that will bring me to that decision

Talking to others I know they seem to be saying much the same and but they are quite comfortably in the 60 plus age group

Nobody loves a Pub more than me and 2 or 3 in particular where I love going will be looking up as the doors open and thinking - where is he ? Again at the moment I just dont fancy it and I am sure many many others wont while some of course (their choice) will
I have been to my little pub in Clee but there it is solely outside and tonight in a rare rush of blood I am off to Pizzatrail at Scarborough Arms Tickhill again totally outside I am assured - if not I wide hide away and leave asap - playing the 5 game

The thing is, when will it be safe to do so Wolfie? With all the doubts now about immunity and vaccines, there might never be a time when everything is considered safe.

Which is why I believe that if this virus hasn't f*cked off by next Spring, we won't have a club to go back to.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 15, 2020, 07:50:45 pm by silent majority »

The thing is, when will it be safe to do so Wolfie? With all the doubts now about immunity and vaccines, there might never be a time when everything is considered safe.

Which is why I believe that if this virus hasn't f*cked off by next Spring, we won't have a club to go back to.

Just managed to get a peak at the SGSA advice for football clubs about opening up again, it runs to 85 pages!!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 15, 2020, 08:15:55 pm by scawsby steve »

Just managed to get a peak at the SGSA advice for football clubs about opening up again, it runs to 85 pages!!

I know you can't give anything away just yet Martin, but can we feel more optimistic?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 16, 2020, 06:26:20 am by Donnywolf »

Thats my problem SS - who knows - and whilst I personally am trying to hide away as much as possible I recognise that is my personal view and others may think their particular stance is right and I cant complain at that

On the upside I did go to Scarbrough Arms Tickhill last night and can recommend Pizzatrail. Look them up everybody because everything I ate was A1 (or was it M1 ?). They do Edenthorpe somewhere on Mondays .

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 16, 2020, 11:52:49 am by silent majority »

I know you can't give anything away just yet Martin, but can we feel more optimistic?

Yes, but it comes with an awful lot of recommendations and requirements.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 16, 2020, 12:33:02 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Thats my problem SS - who knows - and whilst I personally am trying to hide away as much as possible I recognise that is my personal view and others may think their particular stance is right and I cant complain at that

On the upside I did go to Scarbrough Arms Tickhill last night and can recommend Pizzatrail. Look them up everybody because everything I ate was A1 (or was it M1 ?). They do Edenthorpe somewhere on Mondays .

Friday's DW at the community centre in Edenthorpe, very good.  We have it most weeks.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 16, 2020, 01:40:44 pm by RoversAlias »
In regards the OP assertions, isn't it already the case that they make a new vaccine for influenza every year? So it wouldn't be any different ot hat in theory, if the antibodies don't last long. I have to get a flu jab every single autumn, this last year I went into the doctors and was out again in 30 seconds.

There was an excellent article published yesterday going in-depth discussing the efforts to get a vaccine out and it sounded promising to me: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-07-15/oxford-s-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-coronavirus-front-runner

It's a bit of a read but very informative, focuses on the progress of the Oxford Vaccine.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 16, 2020, 01:44:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
There's been quite a bit of good news on the vaccine development over the past couple of days. Fingers crossed that it's coming together.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 16, 2020, 03:57:32 pm by River Don »
I'm not sure what to make of the vaccine news.

On the one hand Dr Faucci is saying they are on course to have a vaccine before the end of the year and an American pharma company have something that produces a good antibody response.

On the other hand I read a British scientist (sorry can't find the link again, in the Guardian somewhere) saying testing can't be hurried, it's crucial to get dosages right and check side effects and the soonest were likely to see a vaccine will be third quarter 21. Even then it will be a land speed record.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 16, 2020, 04:17:13 pm by River Don »
In regards the OP assertions, isn't it already the case that they make a new vaccine for influenza every year? So it wouldn't be any different ot hat in theory, if the antibodies don't last long. I have to get a flu jab every single autumn, this last year I went into the doctors and was out again in 30 seconds.

There was an excellent article published yesterday going in-depth discussing the efforts to get a vaccine out and it sounded promising to me: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-07-15/oxford-s-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-coronavirus-front-runner

It's a bit of a read but very informative, focuses on the progress of the Oxford Vaccine.

That's correct about the flu jab. They study the Australian winter flu to try and pinpoint which strain is likely to be most prevelaint in the Europe the following winter and prepare for that. Apparently the flu jab is only about 30% effective. I had no idea it doesn't offer complete protection.

From what I understand CV19 is similar to flu in many respects, an annual jab perhaps combined with a flu vaccine maybe where we end up.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012