Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:14:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A blast from the past .... Doncaster the Steam Loco  (Read 1148 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
A blast from the past .... Doncaster the Steam Loco
« on July 16, 2020, 06:59:55 am by Donnywolf »
Have often posted photos of Doncaster Rovers for the fossilised train spotters on here but for a change here is Doncaster itself

This Class of Loco featured many many Derby Winners as the inspiration for their names and Doncaster won the Derby in 1873 owned by 1st Duke of Westminster

Saw it many a time - the Loco that is NOT the 1873 Derby

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: A blast from the past .... Doncaster the Steam Loco
« Reply #1 on July 16, 2020, 09:32:44 am by idler »
When I was a kid we used to called these with the blinkers Windies.
The stremlined ones like Sir Nigel Gresley we called Streaks.
Happy days on the allotments near Peglers or Slacky's tip taking numbers or just watching them all go by. I still remember loads of their names to this day.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 16, 2020, 11:39:18 am by Not Now Kato »
Happy days on the allotments near Peglers or Slacky's tip taking numbers or just watching them all go by. I still remember loads of their names to this day.

Now those words bring back memories of standing on the Cattle Dock taking numbers  :thumbsup:

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 16, 2020, 04:05:02 pm by scawsby steve »

Now those words bring back memories of standing on the Cattle Dock taking numbers  :thumbsup:

That's where me and my mates used to train spot. Sandwiches and pop for the day.

Today's youngsters with their smart phones would probably be horrified at the sound of that.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 16, 2020, 05:21:33 pm by Donnywolf »
Yes Streaks (the best of course) with Mallard the best of the best. Posted before I used to grimace every time someone shouted S-t-r-e-a-k ........ e Bacon (gits)

Windies / Brits fequent visitors to Stainforth / and War Dogs (or Austerity there a word to conjur with) the 9 ers of course headed by Vulcan - was it 90732 ? Would be amazed if I had that right

Found my photo card of Mallard passing our very own Donny Rovers

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 16, 2020, 05:31:28 pm by Donnywolf »
Good god - I cant remember what I had to eat last night but kept that Vulcan fact stored up.

Never much to look out but here it is the only named War Dog in my Train spotting days

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 16, 2020, 05:41:02 pm by Hounslowrover »
Used to trainspotting too, remember trying to sneak round the sheds at lunchtimes when it's quieter. Saw the unnamed streak there, was it 60700?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 16, 2020, 06:58:35 pm by Bentley Bullet »
60700 wasn't really a Streak. Streaks were 4-6-2 whereas 60700 was a 4-6-4.

I used to train spot on Hexthorpe bridge mainly with my brother but occasionally went to the Sheds where we saw a number of locos on 'death row' awaiting the cutters torch. One of them was A1 60149 Amadis. That has been my favourite loco ever since, even though I never actually saw it move!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sydhank/5660313925
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 07:49:42 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 16, 2020, 08:29:16 pm by Donnywolf »
Must confess I didnt rememver that one but another famous Horse

Doncaster Cup 1909 and no I didnt back on it lol

Noticed Lottery the first ever Grand National winner (quite an apt name) won the Doncaster Cup as well as did Alonzo

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 16, 2020, 08:46:00 pm by ravenrover »
As a nipper we used to climb over the fence on the Jossey Lane bridge and sit near the end of the bridge supports only a yard or 2 from where the trains came under or entered the bridge. That was until an officer of the law nabbed us and told us he new all our Dads and that our names would be going in the big black book at Cusworth, scared the living daylights out of us when he also threatened to give us a good arse slapping if he ever caught us again, oh them were the days

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 16, 2020, 09:47:15 pm by tommy toes »
I used to trainspot  at the cattle market and at the Joan Croft crossing near Thorpe in Balne.
My favourite was Cock o the North. Liked the name.
Saw plenty of famous locos in the Paint shop at the Plant in 68/69/70.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 17, 2020, 05:58:05 am by Donnywolf »
If not on Station I would have been found at Moss Crossing but even more at Fenwick Crossing specifically at Halls Farm I think it was

Me and mate used to bike / walk from Stainy to there and eventually we got a "job" at the Farm. Collecting Eggs was brill as we had to cross Main Line into field opposite the Farm. We got involved in other bits of stuff and we had the "run" of the place

Major memory was me and mate were scrapping in the Barn when we spotted an A4 - and like a cartoon the scrapping stopped and there it was Kingfisher - a cop for both of us. We leaped up and down for ages and I didnt find out till about 3 or 4 months ago Kingfisher did not venture "down South" very often so very very lucky

Then best bit we would have got a sandwich or 2 and a home made Ice lolly for the journey home. .. and you tell the kids of today that - they'd never believe you lol

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 17, 2020, 08:27:25 am by Hounslowrover »
Used to go to Moss too, a bike ride from Thorne, stopping in Fishlake to pick up a few things from the shop. Sometimes on the way home we'd go for a skinny dip in the canal. Sometimes we'd go to Thorne Junction so we'd cover both lines through Thorne, but not the same excitement as at Moss with the A4s, A1s etc.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 17, 2020, 04:15:30 pm by Not Now Kato »
Looking back through my photo album, this was taken with my Box Brownie....

Britannia Class 70007, Coeur-de-Lion on the Shed Line back in the 60's

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 17, 2020, 04:32:48 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
When I was last on Donny station earlier this year, I was surprised at the number of young people train spotting.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 18, 2020, 12:27:44 am by Colemans Left Hook »
Must confess I didnt rememver that one but another famous Horse

Doncaster Cup 1909 and no I didnt back on it lol

Noticed Lottery the first ever Grand National winner (quite an apt name) won the Doncaster Cup as well as did Alonzo

different horses  i was doing some research six months ago and realised there were two with the same name sometimes horse even ran without a name !! :suicide:

doncaster cup  1825    Lottery    5    George Nelson       Mr Whittaker    

1839 Grand National lottery

14 years later  think not
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 12:31:32 am by Colemans Left Hook »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 18, 2020, 07:25:10 am by Bentley Bullet »
Some horses simply refuse to roll over and die.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 18, 2020, 05:54:48 pm by Donnywolf »
True BB - but CLH is probably right

I know nowt about 'osses but knew Lottery was alleged winner of first National and with Doncaster Cup being a fairly long race I thought maybe it had the stamina to do the National but didnt spot the years differnece

I know Red Rum was ridden by Lester Piggott (anagram Got St Leger tip) to third place at Ponte and of course went on to win National

They obviously were not so stringent on having names that did not repeat for a long period - especially big winners that have to be respected for ages - like Red Rum I suppose

TinyPortal © 2005-2012