Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:04:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Matty Blair  (Read 5258 times)

stuey

• Forum Member
Matty Blair
« on July 30, 2020, 12:40:54 am by stuey »
Not sure if there's other threads about him. Looked and couldn't find any.

Anyway does anyone know if Mattys any closer to signing a contract? I know we offered him reduced terms, like Coppinger, but not heard much since.

Personally I'd love him to sign. Very versatile player who always gives his all

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dknward2

• VSC Member
Re: Matty Blair
« Reply #1 on July 30, 2020, 01:51:00 am by dknward2 »
We have offered a contract as you have said however he has asked to speak to other clubs before making a decision we have agreed. Matty lives near Coventry I believe and I guess he is trying to get somewhere closer to save him traveling in most days for training

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 30, 2020, 01:58:55 pm by roversontheup »
I thought Matty and his family had bought a house in Rossington?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 30, 2020, 06:52:00 pm by scawsby steve »
Cheltenham are after him.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 06, 2020, 07:30:49 am by roversdude »
Any further news on Matty any idea if he is training with us. I guess players being out of contract/unattached may be a stumbling block to training with a team with a view to signing or just getting fit

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 06, 2020, 09:03:46 am by idler »
In the past teams have brought trialists in and allowed local players not signed to us to train pre-season to get fit after injury or the summer break.
This allowed us to have a look at players and have sufficient numbers for squad games and tactics. I can't see us forking out to test players that we have little chance or intention of signing and I think that most clubs will be the same. I imagine Matty will be training near home before committing himself.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 06, 2020, 10:34:30 am by roversdude »
Yeah that was my point Idler. You never know maybe agents will dig deep and pay for the testing of their clients lol

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 06, 2020, 10:38:02 am by Filo »
Yeah that was my point Idler. You never know maybe agents will dig deep and pay for the testing of their clients lol

Not a chance an agent would consider doing that, it costs them money

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 06, 2020, 12:33:25 pm by selby »
  It gives them a chance to include the U18s then who are back next week in internal games instead of trialists which could work at bringing their standards up more quickly than usual.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 06, 2020, 06:56:27 pm by idler »
It brings their standard up but doesn't test the first team as much as stronger opposition would.
No easy answer is there? 🙁

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 06, 2020, 08:44:28 pm by selby »
  I am only talking of in training idler, we have got behind closed door friendlies to test out the first team. The great Hungarian team used to play lots of games against works teams, the reason the coach gave was to teach them to absolutely dominate teams and score lots of goals.
  It worked against England.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 07, 2020, 12:09:32 pm by phil old leake »
I wonder if Blair and Sadlier will play in any friendliest on the off chance they sign

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 07, 2020, 12:39:56 pm by drfchound »
DM has said that the door is still for them if they want to stay.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 07, 2020, 12:43:50 pm by Alan Southstand »
The door is very still at the moment, hound!

;)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 07, 2020, 12:45:50 pm by drfchound »
I saw the wink Alan, but for those that didn’t, I havent suggested that it might still be open next week.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 07, 2020, 01:23:56 pm by silent majority »
I wonder if Blair and Sadlier will play in any friendliest on the off chance they sign

No. The regulation around training because of Covid is so strict that anyone who is not part of the match day squad is not allowed in.

northern soul

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 07, 2020, 01:49:15 pm by northern soul »

No. The regulation around training because of Covid is so strict that anyone who is not part of the match day squad is not allowed in.

SM - I'm assuming we'll, and I accept this is a bad choice of words, take a bit of a flyer with some signings, with limited options available re trialists?

I'd assume it'll be a combination of talking to player, seek out views from other trusted people in the game, videos & scouting analysis.
Basically everything except actually seeing the player in person, and how that player reacts to situations and the other players?

I know you're not actually involved, but I would hazard a guess that's close-ish?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 07, 2020, 01:57:12 pm by silent majority »

SM - I'm assuming we'll, and I accept this is a bad choice of words, take a bit of a flyer with some signings, with limited options available re trialists?

I'd assume it'll be a combination of talking to player, seek out views from other trusted people in the game, videos & scouting analysis.
Basically everything except actually seeing the player in person, and how that player reacts to situations and the other players?

I know you're not actually involved, but I would hazard a guess that's close-ish?

I think we've had a very good idea who we wanted to sign long before we got to this point. Adam Henshall has said that pretty much since the day he arrived.

So, I would say yes to your assumptions but much more detailed in the way that makes a trial pretty much superfluous. In other words we wouldn't be taking a flyer with anybody, but all signings have some element of risk.

northern soul

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 07, 2020, 02:13:49 pm by northern soul »

I think we've had a very good idea who we wanted to sign long before we got to this point. Adam Henshall has said that pretty much since the day he arrived.

So, I would say yes to your assumptions but much more detailed in the way that makes a trial pretty much superfluous. In other words we wouldn't be taking a flyer with anybody, but all signings have some element of risk.

SM - Thanks. I appreciate it would be more complex than my simplistic view.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 07, 2020, 05:54:27 pm by ravenrover »
So no try before you buy

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 07, 2020, 05:57:16 pm by MachoMadness »
Let's be honest, who's the last player who we signed after a trial who ended up being a genuinely great signing? Most of our quality signings are head hunted anyway, and I imagine it's the same at most clubs.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 07, 2020, 06:00:59 pm by IDM »
The only reason I can see for a trial is for the manager to judge how a new player may “fit” within the squad.

A trail needn’t be to judge a player’s skills and abilities - that should be something already known by the scouting etc..

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 07, 2020, 06:10:42 pm by silent majority »
So no try before you buy

Well the loan players will be a 'try before you buy' in as much as we always ask for first options if/when they become available.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 07, 2020, 07:03:46 pm by the vicar »
Wasn’t Jon Taylor On some sort of trial with us

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 07, 2020, 07:33:08 pm by silent majority »

Don't think so.

But Ben Whitehead was.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 07, 2020, 07:33:52 pm by scawsby steve »

I think that was Paul Taylor, Dave.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 07, 2020, 07:58:38 pm by ravenrover »
So no try before you buy

Well the loan players will be a 'try before you buy' in as much as we always ask for first options if/when they become available.

And free agents?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 07, 2020, 08:46:07 pm by Jonathan »

Don't think so.

But Ben Whitehead was.

Just had to google him. Decent goalscoring record at Cirencester but struggled for injuries at Weston-super-Mare...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012