Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:13:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Taking a knee  (Read 9098 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Taking a knee
« Reply #120 on August 31, 2020, 11:36:10 am by BillyStubbsTears »
HA, that is a very depressing story. But it has a use. Anyone who ever complains about PC culture should be given a link to your post.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on August 31, 2020, 05:07:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Another example for people who complain about PC culture stopping them saying and doing what they want. This time it's from this weekend.

The picture below is from a right wing French magazine. The article is about slavery. The picture at centre is a cartoon of a prominent French black politician who has been vocal in demanding that France faces up to its past on slavery.

The implied message is quite clear.

https://api.arretsurimages.net/api/public/media/obonovaleurs1_cr/action/show?format=article_header&t=2020-08-29T15:47:42+02:00

Many critics of what they call "Political Correctness" (and what I call, "not acting like an obnoxious t**t") claim that things WERE bad years ago, but they are much better now.

That magazine, eh? Or the abuse that Diane Abbott deals with on a daily basis?

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on August 31, 2020, 06:16:37 pm by belton rover »
HA, that is a very depressing story. But it has a use. Anyone who ever complains about PC culture should be given a link to your post.

What are you laughing for then?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on August 31, 2020, 07:09:22 pm by scawsby steve »

Anyone who EVER complains about PC culture? What about the PC culture that suggests that all Brexit voters are racists? Shouldn't we complain about them?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on August 31, 2020, 07:45:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
SS.

That's not "PC culture" (whatever that is). It's individuals being abusive.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on September 01, 2020, 12:05:45 pm by SydneyRover »
I moved to London in 1981 to find work with my mate from Donny, initially for 6 months and I’m still here! We worked on the building sites around the old Docklands area. Those sites definitely weren’t for the faint hearted and the ‘banter’ often moved from Micky taking to outright bullying. There was a black lad working with us called Leon who was often the brunt of this simply due to his colour. The abuse ranged from racist comments to things like leaving bananas in his work bag. This was every single day, without fail. Leon would laugh it off but I know from talking to him at the time that it was wearing him down. He once told us something that happened to him that I still often think about to this day.

Him and a mate (who was also black) were working on a site near Canning Town when a car full of men pulled up on the street beside them. One of the men got out the car and threatened Leon and his mate with a knife and racially abused them. A very frightening experience. They called the police who arrived quite quickly, but instead of asking them about the men who’d threatened them, spent half an hour on the street asking Leon and his mate what they were doing in a ‘white’ area without showing any interest in finding the perpetrators! Apparently things like this weren’t uncommon for young black men.

Leon was one of the nicest men you could meet, and he didn’t deserve the daily racist abuse he took on the sites by these arseholes. One day he came into work and told us that he was going to give them what they want and ‘go back to where he came from’. He left the site that night and never came back. I never saw him again but I’m sure that his experiences contributed to my involvement in the anti racist movement around that time.

Things are different now and I don’t believe that there’s the institutional racism there once was, however racism still exists without a doubt. If taking the knee existed back then I would certainly have done this to show my support to lovely guys like Leon.

It's a moving story HA and I would imagine all too familiar to too many. I don't get it, never have it's such a waste of precious time and energy and for what, a petty power trip.

Another story this time about a bully, no racism just bullying. I knew a guy yonks ago hadn't seen him for quite a while and exchanged greetings the talking point his arm was in cast. It went like this ''I like a bit of a scrap but one night right here (pub) I picked the wrong one and before I knew it I was on the floor nursing this ''never again'' he said ''that's it for me'' It turns out I didn't know him much at all, he was a big lad but it was only ok when he chose the right mark.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #126 on September 06, 2020, 03:51:15 am by SydneyRover »
We didn't have to wait long for fararge to enter stage right and start making bullets for his droogs.

farage is too much of a coward to be at the protest himself and just uses a bunch of no-hopers to do his bidding.

''Port of Dover is brought to a standstill by far-right groups
Flag-waving extremists and white nationalists block roads in protest over migrant Channel crossings''

''Just after 1pm, below the white cliffs of Dover, Nigel Marcham offered his take on one of the summer’s most potent symbols. “Take a knee for the brethren of this f**king country,” Marcham screamed into his megaphone.

Around him a ragtag collection of far-right supporters, white nationalists and neo-nazis knelt on the A20 outside Dover’s Eastern Docks. “Thanks for taking a f**king knee in the proper way,” he said, clearly delighted with his perversion of the global peaceful protest symbol adopted by millions following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis''

''Support for the protest has been amplified by a number of political figures inflaming tensions over refugees arriving by boat.

Chief among them has been the Brexit party leader, Nigel Farage, who has posted pictures of himself on the lookout above Dover for vessels carrying refugees and has regularly described the recent arrivals as an “invasion”. Farage even made a widely ridiculed boat trip into the Channel in an attempt to monitor asylum seekers arriving in the UK''

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/05/port-of-dover-is-brought-to-a-standstill-by-far-right-groups

''NHS worker and Londoner Donna Carr, 50, said immigrants had sustained the health service throughout the pandemic and it was important to remember their contribution.

“Where were the far right then? Were they on the front line risking their lives? Were they caring for the elderly?”

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on September 06, 2020, 04:02:11 am by SydneyRover »
The 4000 refugees that have arrived by boat this year represents around 0.0058823529% of the population.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012