Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:44:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Charlton  (Read 2557 times)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Charlton
« Reply #1 on August 05, 2020, 12:35:28 pm by selby »
The inadequacy of the EFL to safeguard  clubs from spivs trying to make a fast buck coming to the fore again, and the only losers are the supporters of the clubs involved, and the clubs who are losing out on fixtures as happened with the Bury fiasco last season.
  Just imagine losing Wigan and Charlton before the start of the next season to the division 1  competition which would be down entirely to governance by the EFL in the last twelve months, allowing new owners who obviously have not got the resources to fund the purchase of the clubs they purchased.
   What a joke outfit.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 05, 2020, 01:29:32 pm by RoversAlias »
The question must be asked again, is any financial support from the government or Premier League on its way?

Dover have said they will be bust by the end of the month without something happening thanks to Covid, surely they aren't the only ones.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 05, 2020, 01:44:48 pm by roversdude »
How could the EFL determine they were fit and proper owners without this information, complete joke. They will let this roll on beyond the start of the season.
Doesn’t seem long since their obnoxious fans were giving it the billy big b*llocks having been soundly beaten (before being assisted by the Met Police)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 05, 2020, 02:35:31 pm by drfchound »
Does anyone expect this to be sorted out before September 12th?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 05, 2020, 02:46:51 pm by silent majority »
It seems the EFL are damned if they do and damned if they don't. They're asking for more information, proof of funds etc and won't ratify the sale/transfer until that happens.

Welling Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 05, 2020, 03:27:45 pm by Welling Rover »
Haven't they been asking for information since the takeover in January ?
Seems a long time to provide proof of funds.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 05, 2020, 10:24:46 pm by karldew »
Can’t be that bad, they’ve just extended Jonny Williams contract, he’s got to be on a fair chunk!

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 05, 2020, 11:57:13 pm by phil old leake »
The FA should grow a pair. Set deadlines and criteria for all takeovers.  If the required information isn’t forthcoming by the said deadline the takeover doesn’t happen

For me this is the FA all over. Whether you agree or object to the Saudis taking over Newcastle the way it has dragged on is an absolute joke

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 06, 2020, 05:55:06 am by godlike1 »
It seems the EFL are damned if they do and damned if they don't. They're asking for more information, proof of funds etc and won't ratify the sale/transfer until that happens.

So why has the takeover happened if they have not given this information. I thought there was a fit and proper test meant to be in place before a takeover went through to show the money is there hence JR being knocked back all those years ago.

I can't see any defence for the efl in anything they do. The consistent pushing back of the salary cap vote is an example of how they are pushing clubs to the brink with their indecision

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 06, 2020, 05:56:56 am by graingrover »
The Charlton situation seems no différent to the proposed takeover of DRFC a few years ago ..it was refused because of the inability to provide proof of funds .

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 06, 2020, 08:10:00 am by IDM »

So why has the takeover happened if they have not given this information. I thought there was a fit and proper test meant to be in place before a takeover went through to show the money is there hence JR being knocked back all those years ago.

I can't see any defence for the efl in anything they do. The consistent pushing back of the salary cap vote is an example of how they are pushing clubs to the brink with their indecision

Isn’t it the clubs delaying the decision.?  Maybe, just maybe, the problem with the EFL governance is that the board or individuals who should be able to enable decisions do not have sufficient authority (from the collective of the clubs) or within the existing rules, to deal with some of the issues of the modern game.?

So yes, some changes are needed but to bottom line blame “the EFL” for every damned thing is getting ridiculous IMHO..

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 06, 2020, 09:22:55 am by silent majority »

Isn’t it the clubs delaying the decision.?  Maybe, just maybe, the problem with the EFL governance is that the board or individuals who should be able to enable decisions do not have sufficient authority (from the collective of the clubs) or within the existing rules, to deal with some of the issues of the modern game.?

So yes, some changes are needed but to bottom line blame “the EFL” for every damned thing is getting ridiculous IMHO..

Exactly right IDM.

The pushing back of the vote isn't at the behest of the 'EFL' in the broader sense, but the clubs who are forming the working group to look at this have done so. As I keep mentioning its a members organisation, and the decision makers are the various clubs who have prepared the proposals for other clubs to vote on.

As to godlikes point about ratifying he takeover decision, obviously this won't happen if they don't come up with the information on funding. That is part of the O&D test and is working, so why bleat about it? It was exactly the same with JR, he didn't have the funds that he said he did, and quite rightly the EFL knocked him back.

You'd be amazed how many times this happens in football, but supporters only ever get to see the ones that make the news.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 06, 2020, 09:44:34 am by Barmby Rover »
The same lawyer involved as in Bury, how can they allow him to be involved with any EFL club? Surely he should be excluded having been proved incompetent?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 06, 2020, 09:47:19 am by drfchound »
I think that people are not criticising the fit and proper persons criteria, that in itself is a good thing.
The issue though is the amount of time that the EFL are letting the necessary proof of funds by ESI drag on for.
The report says that the process began in January and yet, as far as I know, ESI have been running the club.
In the case of the JR and LT ownership of DRFC attempt, they never actually got to run the club, so there is a difference.
The EFL do have recent form in letting things run on and on without seemingly being able to make or get a decision made.
The Sheffield Wednesday thing situation ran for eight months, we all know how long the Bolton fiasco took to sort out and I don’t think that the Derby County situation is near to completion yet ?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 06, 2020, 10:23:45 am by silent majority »
I think that people are not criticising the fit and proper persons criteria, that in itself is a good thing.
The issue though is the amount of time that the EFL are letting the necessary proof of funds by ESI drag on for.
The report says that the process began in January and yet, as far as I know, ESI have been running the club.
In the case of the JR and LT ownership of DRFC attempt, they never actually got to run the club, so there is a difference.
The EFL do have recent form in letting things run on and on without seemingly being able to make or get a decision made.
The Sheffield Wednesday thing situation ran for eight months, we all know how long the Bolton fiasco took to sort out and I don’t think that the Derby County situation is near to completion yet ?

OK, but remember we are in the middle of a pandemic, and that affects the EFL and it's operating procedures just as much as anybody else.

Organising independent panels to look at SWFC and another one to look at Derby will have taken some considerable time I would have thought.

As for ownership transferring hands of certain clubs whilst still being ratified, it does have some history. Firstly, the EFL, nor anybody else for that matter, has the legal right to block a sale from one party to another (apart from the M&MC obviously) if both parties agree to it. That's why clubs can and do change hands without EFL involvement, as per Bury for example. The power the EFL has, is that it can block entry of that club into it's competitions, as again that's what happened at Bury. The Charlton situation is the same, a club has changed hands, the EFL ask for proof of funding and without that proof they will not be allowed to participate. They were already under a transfer embargo, as that is always the first step that the EFL take, as have been SWFC etc.

The JR situation is slightly different in that the current ownership didn't agree to the takeover. If they had then DRFC would have been owned by JR and LT (although that's completely false because the owners in practice would have been the Irish) and then the EFL would have been in exactly the same place as they are currently with Charlton. Two slightly different results but exactly the same, or very similar scenarios.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012