Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:29:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Portsmouth  (Read 2493 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Portsmouth
« on August 04, 2020, 05:50:12 pm by selby »
  Just had a quick look at one of their forums, and posts alluding to the fact that they are at the moment losing £700,000 a month, and restricted attendances when football returns that does not cover the number of season tickets they normally sell.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

albie

• Forum Member
Re: Portsmouth
« Reply #1 on August 04, 2020, 06:02:54 pm by albie »

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 04, 2020, 06:05:04 pm by keith79 »
Tears again soon .

drfchound

• Forum Member

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 04, 2020, 06:32:43 pm by Alan Southstand »
The Club that needs some serious questions asking is Bristol Rovers. I think they’ve signed 6 players now, and all are on more than 2 year deals. How?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 04, 2020, 07:32:57 pm by Chris Black come back »
Given the Marquis money was to be paid over multiple instalments, we had better all hope they don’t get into difficulty. 

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 04, 2020, 07:42:42 pm by since-1969 »
Given the Marquis money was to be paid over multiple instalments, we had better all hope they don’t get into difficulty.
Send in the bailiffs and reposes Marquis !

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 05, 2020, 08:36:57 am by colincramb »
You’d have thought Portsmouth would have learnt their lesson from last time! It appears not. No sympathy

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 05, 2020, 10:59:43 am by Janso »
You’d have thought Portsmouth would have learnt their lesson from last time! It appears not. No sympathy

While I understand what you're saying, I don't really get when people say things like this, as it's rarely if ever the same board or the same people at the club, so it's largely irrelevant imo because the people that made the mistakes before are long gone, in all likelihood.

eadiee73

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 06, 2020, 10:19:23 pm by eadiee73 »
The Club that needs some serious questions asking is Bristol Rovers. I think they’ve signed 6 players now, and all are on more than 2 year deals. How?

According to our manager our budget with the 5 players before we signed Zain Westbrooke was still below last season’s budget. Obviously we don’t know the exact detail but we have shifted out several high earners this summer. Tony Craig, Liam Sercombe, Tom Nichols, Tariq Holmes- Dennis, Ollie Clarke and Gavin Reilly were all some of our biggest earners. Add to that Meyanese, Matthews and Russe who weren’t the biggest earners. That they’ve all gone into League 2 or lower just shows how poor our recruitment used to be. That’s nine players, 6 major earners and we might bring in 7, so possibly misleading.
So although it looks to outsiders that we're splashing the cash, we’re probably not and we’ve just replaced some big earners with other, probably big earners. But they also look a lot better than those that have gone. I presume Westbrooke, a regular with Coventry last season will be on a fair wedge.
And make that 7 signings after tomorrow, we’ve heard that another striker is signing (ex-Coventry of course!).
I’m sure it must look like we’re spending a lot and I suspect it will be a higher budget than last season when we were mid table for player budgets but it won’t be amongst the top budgets in this league and sometimes esp when the signings are end of contract signings it can be misleading.
More importantly our new Training Ground should be ready for the end of September and that is also making us more attractive I would imagine.

Up the Rovers!!

ps. I wouldn’t worry too much you’ll still probably beat us, you usually do!

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 07, 2020, 12:41:50 pm by Alan Southstand »
Thanks for the insight, eadiee73. I try not to worry about other Club’s dealings, as it gets you nowhere. There are just too many variables involved to work out whether it’s good business or bad.

The only thing that worries me is how my Club is performing in the player marketplace and, despite our manager proclaiming he wanted bodies in early, we havn’t really started, as yet.

I have faith that we have the right people at the helm to identify the right players for our needs, going into the new season, but whether we can actually acquire the chosen individuals is another matter entirely.

Like you say - up the Rovers - the red and white hooped ones, of course.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012