Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:00:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rieves Boocock  (Read 3386 times)

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
Rieves Boocock
« on August 05, 2020, 12:21:52 pm by Barmby Rover »
Joined Cleethorpes Town, not sure if this is permanent or not. Are we losing more youngsters?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Re: Rieves Boocock
« Reply #1 on August 05, 2020, 12:23:02 pm by The Red Baron »
He was one of those released, so I guess it is permanent.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 05, 2020, 12:27:08 pm by Alan Southstand »
Personally, I think he’s better than that, but sometimes, you have to go 3 or 4 rungs down and come back fighting.

Good luck to the lad. He was a lethal finisher when he was in the u18’s.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 05, 2020, 02:45:50 pm by drfchound »
I wasn’t lucky enough to see Rieves play more than a few moments of football, when he came on as a late sub at Gillingham.
However I know people who have watched the young DRFC teams on a regular basis and I have been told that he is a natural goal scorer.
At 19 years old perhaps it would have been worth giving him at least another season to try and establish himself.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 05:45:15 pm by drfchound »

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 05, 2020, 06:16:28 pm by PDX_Rover »
I was puzzled as to why he’d been released...

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 05, 2020, 06:31:07 pm by idler »
I think him and a couple more might have been kept on but for Covid and a shrunken budget and squad.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 05, 2020, 07:15:09 pm by Draytonian III »
I personally think the likes of Boocock should have given a chance before the signings of Bingham,Thomas and Cole , once one junior player breaks through and becomes a first team regular other younger players might sign for us instead of being just a number at Man City, Leeds, Newcastle etc

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 05, 2020, 08:32:34 pm by drfchound »
I personally think the likes of Boocock should have given a chance before the signings of Bingham,Thomas and Cole , once one junior player breaks through and becomes a first team regular other younger players might sign for us instead of being just a number at Man City, Leeds, Newcastle etc

I agree with Draytonian.
To back that point up, I think it is fair to say that none of those three lit the place up either.
Maybe his face just didn’t fit.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 05, 2020, 08:47:44 pm by graingrover »
Of course the possibility that the face may not fit really means a bit more .I refer not to Reece here ´not  having met him but I do well remember other youngsters at DRFC over the years who were allowed to leave despite ´our’ opinion of them because they did not impress the boss .The most discussed in recent years being Liam Mandeville .
Remember this quote
He's got a lot of attributes that I want from an attacker; he's got good vision, he can finish with both feet and he's very good technically." Darren Ferguson on Mandeville in 2016.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 08:51:21 pm by graingrover »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 05, 2020, 09:09:32 pm by selby »
  The big question is, was he as good a player as the likes of Lokilo who is about the same age, and is one of many premiership youngsters who have been released at the end of last season
  It is a different closed season to any in the past, and any team that has the low down on good young players released by Premiership teams, and I think that Darren and his team might have, could well come up with young players trying to resurrect their dreams of being a star player.
  The talent will be pushed down the pecking order and we want to be on the ladder in my opinion, we have little to lose and everything to gain. Add loan players and we could build a very useful young team.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 05, 2020, 09:13:22 pm by drfchound »
Don’t you think that the former premiership youngsters would want considerably more money than someone like Boocock.
Given the current lack of income perhaps there is some merit in keeping a striker with a good scoring record.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 06, 2020, 08:24:09 am by steve@dcfd »
It will be interesting what position Reece plays at Cleethorpes Town. In the U18 he scored goals playing in a more central position. Last season when on loan at different clubs he was played out wide predominantly and in his rare games for U 23s he was out wide. His goals dried up really last season compared to U18 season. Like the other young forwards that have been released none looked like they where good enough for the step up to a league 1 squad.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 06, 2020, 12:46:02 pm by selby »
  Hound, we have found enough money to attract Lokilo so I don't see any reason why other ambitious talented players released by other clubs in the premiership would not see playing regular football with Doncaster Rovers would be any less attractive than any other club.
  The problem we have had in the past is we have not explored or had the contacts in that area that we have now.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 06, 2020, 05:09:33 pm by drfchound »
No argument there from me selby but I wouldn’t think that we could afford too many of those players.
Out of interest, would you have liked us to keep Boocock...for at least another season.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 06, 2020, 05:27:03 pm by selby »
  I never saw enough of him to judge Hound. I know more about this age group than his, although I respect Alans judgement and would have liked a striker to get through.
  Surprised no other league club have shown an interest though with his record and could be a pointer that he isn't quite there.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 05:32:48 pm by selby »

Adwick Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 06, 2020, 06:25:14 pm by Adwick Rover »
I believe he wasn't Moores type of player, where as the year before he was McCanns. As we all know, the game is about opinions and Moore's is the one that counts at this moment in time. He wasn't given a chance last year and spent much of it out on loan, all of which were successful as he was resigned by all 3 clubs. You are right Steve about his position being crucial to him scoring goals but that can be said about most strikers. Out wide forces you to play a different game which suits some but not most. He rarely got an outing for the u23's
but when he did get minutes he still managed to score a few. Which proves to most he's got a gift in front of goal which some posters on here don't doubt.

There has been interest from several clubs from L1, L2 and even the Scottish Championship over the Summer and strong interest from Scunthorpe and a few more league clubs before Covid hit. But with the current rules trialing at other league clubs has been restricted. He's done the right thing and dropped down a few levels which shows he's determined to make it and he's back playing football and training. Time will tell if he does well and climbs back up the ladder.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 06, 2020, 06:28:55 pm by drfchound »
Good luck to him AR.
I wish him well and hope he realises his dream.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 06, 2020, 10:07:26 pm by Draytonian III »
Of course the possibility that the face may not fit really means a bit more .I refer not to Reece here ´not  having met him but I do well remember other youngsters at DRFC over the years who were allowed to leave despite ´our’ opinion of them because they did not impress the boss .The most discussed in recent years being Liam Mandeville .
Remember this quote
He's got a lot of attributes that I want from an attacker; he's got good vision, he can finish with both feet and he's very good technically." Darren Ferguson on Mandeville in 2016.

I have two points to raise on this, firstly Liam Manderville should have been an automatic squad player, admittedly he didn’t help himself, but secondly Darren Ferguson should have been sacked after the run of 3 points out of 14 matches, he’s only got jobs or retained jobs on his name

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 06, 2020, 10:32:49 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Wonder what could have been of Mandeville if he could be arsed.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 06, 2020, 11:20:58 pm by PDX_Rover »
I wonder if we’ll keep tabs on Boocock and see how he does... He seemed to score for fun didn’t he...

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 07, 2020, 02:49:37 am by Janso »
Remember this quote

I have two points to raise on this, firstly Liam Manderville should have been an automatic squad player, admittedly he didn’t help himself, but secondly Darren Ferguson should have been sacked after the run of 3 points out of 14 matches, he’s only got jobs or retained jobs on his name
Long time lurker, I feel like this is going to open up two huge things all over again... :laugh:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 07, 2020, 10:14:30 am by drfchound »
Wonder what could have been of Mandeville if he could be arsed.

We all probably know lads who were very good, some even outstanding players, who had a bad attitude and fell by the wayside.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 07, 2020, 12:48:35 pm by Chris Black come back »
Remember this quote

Or to cut the figures another way, he got us a single point out of 12 games from 26 January to 28 March. 12 games, 0 wins, 1 draw, 11 defeats.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 07, 2020, 12:55:08 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Good thing he didn't get sacked though. Might not have seen Marquis, Whiteman, Wright, Rowe and Anderson in Rovers shirts.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 07, 2020, 01:03:28 pm by NewDonny »
I believe he wasn't Moores type of player, where as the year before he was McCanns. As we all know, the game is about opinions and Moore's is the one that counts at this moment in time. He wasn't given a chance last year and spent much of it out on loan, all of which were successful as he was resigned by all 3 clubs. You are right Steve about his position being crucial to him scoring goals but that can be said about most strikers. Out wide forces you to play a different game which suits some but not most. He rarely got an outing for the u23's
but when he did get minutes he still managed to score a few. Which proves to most he's got a gift in front of goal which some posters on here don't doubt.

There has been interest from several clubs from L1, L2 and even the Scottish Championship over the Summer and strong interest from Scunthorpe and a few more league clubs before Covid hit. But with the current rules trialing at other league clubs has been restricted. He's done the right thing and dropped down a few levels which shows he's determined to make it and he's back playing football and training. Time will tell if he does well and climbs back up the ladder.

Careful, your get strung up around these parts talking sense like that AR. Some people interpret dropping down a league or playing in the lower leagues of Scotland or going to Ireland to play as a sign that you don't have what it takes to make it in professional football. Whereas a lot of people don't understand that until you have games, goals and assist on your CV at a good level then no club will look at you. A players technical ability and quality stands for nothing without experience of Senior football on your CV.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 01:45:17 pm by NewDonny »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012