Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 10:46:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: League One And The New Season  (Read 1211 times)

tyke1962

• Forum Member
League One And The New Season
« on August 05, 2020, 05:51:56 pm by tyke1962 »
Just looking at the line up in League One and the forthcoming season .

It looks tough , probably tougher than I've seen it for a few seasons .

Problem from last season is that none of what you could class as the big clubs who carry some financial clout managed to get promoted .

The three clubs coming down from the Championship may not make an instant return given the problems all three are facing , however they probably won't struggle either in my opinion .

Going to be hugely competitive I feel .

How do you see your chances of a top 6 finish ? .

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: League One And The New Season
« Reply #1 on August 05, 2020, 06:03:55 pm by Alan Southstand »
At this moment in time, Tyke, I would say slim. But, we’ve not really started building the squad up yet, so it’s far too early to say. Some have already taken quite a risk, in bringing in several players on longish contracts and not the ‘big hitters’ either. Some, like Oxford, already have good solid squads, so don’t need to do that much.

Anyone’s guess right now!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 05, 2020, 07:22:53 pm by scawsby steve »
Just looking at the line up in League One and the forthcoming season .

It looks tough , probably tougher than I've seen it for a few seasons .

Problem from last season is that none of what you could class as the big clubs who carry some financial clout managed to get promoted .

The three clubs coming down from the Championship may not make an instant return given the problems all three are facing , however they probably won't struggle either in my opinion .

Going to be hugely competitive I feel .

How do you see your chances of a top 6 finish ? .

I think you're forgetting something Tyke. The salary cap which is almost certain to be voted in.

That's going to be a real leveller for some of the bigger clubs.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 05, 2020, 07:54:26 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Well, we're not anywhere near a place  where anyone can make any educated guesses.

Who would have given Wycombe much of a chance?

I like to think there's still scope for managers to be able assemble a team that plays well collectively and out plays teams full of overpaid individuals.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 05, 2020, 08:47:30 pm by selby »
 Charlton might not even start the season, the same with Wigan and their squads will be decimated if they do. Hull are probably in the best place of the three bizarrely, but could drop straight through to division 2 if they don't recruit and get things straight off the field.
 The so called big clubs in the division are hemorrhaging money at an alarming rate, and the longer no crowds or reduced attendances carries on the worse position they will be in, and if the pay cap is passed it is hard not to see their better players not wanting to get away ASAP to wherever they can be it abroad or if possible the Championship.
  The rest of us are much a muchness, mostly the better run clubs as far as sustainability goes and are more used to shopping at the lower levels looking for bargains as against just blowing money on other clubs assets.
  I think it is more open than for quite a few years, if the season gets started Oxford the one side that has stayed more or less as they were, but their manager has a long history of being fancied to do something and making a balls of it like last season letting Wycombe in.
  If Peterborough fail to get a start things could get nasty there with the chuckle brothers chairman and manager and I think Fleetwood will do well to replicate last season.
  Ipswich have got to get over not blowing everyone away last season, and Portsmouth need to get an identity to their style of play instead of trying to play a full squad in rotation.
  Wimbledon moving back home to a brand new ground could push them on to better things, and we might have more of a chance of a result there but I will not hold my breath, and Swindon could be a threat of those coming up, the new owners at Blackpool also looking to make an impression.
  No easy touches for anyone this year, Accrington and Rochdale more used to basement shopping than any of the rest of us, and managers who are used to the situation we are all in as far as available money is concerned.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 05, 2020, 09:32:05 pm by Alan Southstand »
Peterborough will be ok, once they’ve sold Toney. The chances are they will not get anywhere near their inflated asking price. They’ll still have DF, of course!

If we look at the top 3 that missed out on the play-off’s, I can see Portsmouth disposing of their manager before too long, Oxford will be strong again but could still miss out and Fleetwood were never good enough  to be where they were placed (ppg).

Of the ones coming down - Hull and Charlton are a mess and Wigan could be in a similar situation, but I think will be the strongest of those 3.

I’m with you, Selby, on Swindon in thinking they’ll be competitive.

Of the rest, well, who knows what will happen at Sunderland and Ipswich, but they’ll both be busting a gut to go up next season.

Blackpool and Bristol seem to have made some useful acquisitions already, so will be worth keeping an eye on those 2 next season.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012