Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:17:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Salary Cap - PFA now involved  (Read 1396 times)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Salary Cap - PFA now involved
« on August 07, 2020, 12:05:00 am by Alan Southstand »
This could get very ugly. The PFA are now saying that cap will be unlawful and unenforceable.

Good luck tomorrow.

From The Guardian:

The Professional Footballers’ Association has said attempts to impose a salary cap on EFL clubs may be “unlawful and unenforceable” a day before the measures are put to a vote.
EFL clubs are set to decide on Friday whether to implement a salary cap, a move widely claimed as essential in helping the lower leagues reset their finances.

The PFA has weighed in against the proposal, however, claiming the EFL has failed in a legal obligation to fully consult the players’ union over “any potential changes to a player’s conditions”. The union said it was sending its dossier on the effects of a salary cap to clubs, and called for a period of arbitration to take place this month.

“The EFL has a legal obligation to consult with the PFA and the Professional Football Negotiating and Consultative Committee [PFNCC] over any potential changes to a player’s conditions. This consultation has not happened, and as such, we are gravely concerned any cap brought in will be unlawful and unenforceable, which will ultimately be detrimental to everyone involved.”

The Guardian understands discussions involving the EFL and PFA have taken place at the PFNCC. The vote is expected to go ahead as planned.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 12:15:42 am by Alan Southstand »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Salary Cap - PFA now involved
« Reply #1 on August 07, 2020, 10:17:25 am by drfchound »
As I understand the situation, existing players contracts will remain unchanged.
The salary cap will apply to new contracts.
How is that making changes to a players conditions?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 07, 2020, 10:27:21 am by silent majority »
It's neither unlawful or unenforceable.

I've read the PFA document, it's at best misguided.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 07, 2020, 11:14:43 am by Metalmicky »
I was going to say the same SM - surely an employer can set whatever wage structure he/they wanted...  If this were an agreed structure (by the members of that body (EFL) - then it would not be unlawful, unenforceable...... or unjust for that matter... (IMO)

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 07, 2020, 11:15:38 am by tyke1962 »
Well they've had a salary cap in Super League for many many years so I'd imagine from a legal point of view its pretty sound .

Difference is I guess between Rugby League and football is that there's a greater will within RL clubs to have a salary cap in place .

There lies the problem within football today , the game wants financially cleaning up but just as long as it effects everyone else apart from your own club .

The greater good of the game seems to pass football clubs in this country by it seems .

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 07, 2020, 11:18:20 am by keith79 »
You earn 4000 a week this year and 1500 a week next year. Sound fair to me

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 07, 2020, 11:27:35 am by IDM »
“Fair” doesn’t come into it..

I have known people who have had their jobs redesignated due to the pandemic and have subsequently taken a pay cut.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 07, 2020, 11:29:42 am by Metalmicky »

They do have a 'choice' of course....

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 07, 2020, 11:39:51 am by tyke1962 »
The PFA , headed by the worlds highest paid union official .

Be careful Gordon , don't bite the hand that feeds , no footballers = no union .

Ask Scargill .

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 07, 2020, 12:01:52 pm by silent majority »
The PFA , headed by the worlds highest paid union official .

Be careful Gordon , don't bite the hand that feeds , no footballers = no union .

Ask Scargill .

The paymasters are the EPL though, so he's not having a pop at them surprisingly.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 07, 2020, 12:10:17 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

No it's not fair but many people would be happy earning 1500 a week.....

The cap is needed to control the whole spiralling position. As we can see now unless collective action is taken it won't be resolved.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 07, 2020, 12:15:38 pm by keith79 »

No it's not fair but many people would be happy earning 1500 a week.....

The cap is needed to control the whole spiralling position. As we can see now unless collective action is taken it won't be resolved.
not if your earning 4000

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 07, 2020, 12:36:04 pm by selby »
  Keith, nobody is stopping anyone from earning £4000 a week, it is about changing the parameters, and being good enough to earn and be offered £4k by an employer, if they are in another country go there.
  And clubs can have smaller higher paid squads, the cap is the total on the club not the amount a player is paid as far as I understand it and make numbers up wth u21s players. 
  The biggest saving for any player and club would be to get rid of any agent charging a fee and join the union and take their advice and negotiate themselves.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012