Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:47:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Salary Cap voted in  (Read 9790 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Salary Cap voted in
« on August 07, 2020, 01:49:56 pm by silent majority »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

godlike1

• Forum Member
Re: Salary Cap voted in
« Reply #1 on August 07, 2020, 01:52:38 pm by godlike1 »
So the fines ans sanctions could be negligible should the club in question get promoted or become pointless if it takes along time for the efl to act?

What has happened to the pfa and rovers query over the legality of this?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 07, 2020, 01:54:26 pm by RoversAlias »
Rovers never queried it? I expect we voted in favour.

It's a good move for the game at our level in my opinion.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 07, 2020, 02:03:14 pm by GazLaz »
Surely it just gives the relegated teams a big advantage.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 07, 2020, 02:06:19 pm by Alan Southstand »
The gap between the Championship and L1 gets ever wider!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 07, 2020, 02:12:29 pm by silent majority »

To a point it does. So those players who are on continuous contracts have their salary measured as the average for that division. But with relegation clauses in a lot of contracts these days it might not be the advantage you think it is.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 07, 2020, 02:13:32 pm by GazLaz »
How can Sunderland be made to have the same budget as Crewe when their income will be ten times as much probably. It’s nonsense.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 07, 2020, 02:15:21 pm by GazLaz »

To a point it does. So those players who are on continuous contracts have their salary measured as the average for that division. But with relegation clauses in a lot of contracts these days it might not be the advantage you think it is.

The average championship wage will be ten times the average L1 wage. It’s stupid.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 07, 2020, 02:16:08 pm by graingrover »
A very sensible move and I look forward to seeing what this means for clubs who have already
committed to pay salaries  that take them over the limit .

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 07, 2020, 02:19:38 pm by silent majority »
How can Sunderland be made to have the same budget as Crewe when their income will be ten times as much probably. It’s nonsense.

Its an argument I've heard a lot of in the last few weeks. But, the problem is that football is in a very, very, difficult place and needs extreme help. So, unless anything else can kick in during the next few weeks then it is what it is.
We can't judge this based on how things have been.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 07, 2020, 02:21:19 pm by silent majority »

The average championship wage will be ten times the average L1 wage. It’s stupid.

Not if you have relegation clauses built into your contract. And not all members of that squad will have continuous contracts either.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 07, 2020, 02:21:23 pm by Alan Southstand »
It may not affect that many, Graing. The Clubs with big squads, maybe, but how many players in those squads are u21?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 07, 2020, 02:22:42 pm by GazLaz »

Its an argument I've heard a lot of in the last few weeks. But, the problem is that football is in a very, very, difficult place and needs extreme help. So, unless anything else can kick in during the next few weeks then it is what it is.

Why couldn’t it be set as a % of revenue and policed strictly?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 07, 2020, 02:24:31 pm by silent majority »

You mean how it's done today?

Look how well that works.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 07, 2020, 02:27:33 pm by albie »
Gaz,

That would just encourage some to artificially inflate revenue....pretend sponsorship etc.

Not saying this is perfect, because the wage differential between L1 and the Champ becomes a potential disincentive to promotion....can a club afford to be promoted?

Lets see how it goes, and how some try to play the system!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 07, 2020, 02:29:18 pm by GazLaz »

It’s a system that can potentially work though surely.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 07, 2020, 02:32:08 pm by drfchound »
A very sensible move and I look forward to seeing what this means for clubs who have already
committed to pay salaries  that take them over the limit .

Don’t contracts agreed prior to this vote stay the same as agreed.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 07, 2020, 02:34:11 pm by silent majority »

It’s a system that can potentially work though surely.

I think a hybrid system would have been better. Take the elements of SCMP that works, and throw in a cap of some sort and get that to work would be OK, certainly for a club like ours too. But, you must understand football is in a bad place, something needed to happen quickly.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 07, 2020, 02:42:22 pm by TheFunk »
We'll get a chance to see how good some managers really are. Yes I'm thinking of you Fergie.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 07, 2020, 02:42:47 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Just out of interest does this now make us more sustainable? Will we still need the levels of financial input a year from our owners we've been accustomed to?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 07, 2020, 02:44:12 pm by Alan Southstand »
Is this the first step to getting some sort of financial support package approved for league’s 1 and 2?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 07, 2020, 02:44:52 pm by MachoMadness »
We'll get a chance to see how good some managers really are. Yes I'm thinking of you Fergie.
To be fair the one thing Ferguson was good at was finding good young players.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 07, 2020, 02:50:28 pm by silent majority »
Is this the first step to getting some sort of financial support package approved for league’s 1 and 2?

Yes, I would say it is.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 07, 2020, 03:01:58 pm by steve@dcfd »
To be fair listening to Peterborough’s Chairman they have a big squad now so Ferguson won’t be looking for many.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 07, 2020, 03:10:01 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I think it's the right thing going forward and will make it much more of a level playing field. Yes there are big weaknesses but arguably are we not better off having a league that is about building strong teams not building the most expensive?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 07, 2020, 03:10:11 pm by scawsby steve »
To be fair listening to Peterborough’s Chairman they have a big squad now so Ferguson won’t be looking for many.

I could be wrong here, but I thought there was to be a cap on the size of the squad as well?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 07, 2020, 03:10:17 pm by roversdude »
Be interesting to see how Fleetwood get on without the massive income from renting an office to the chairman

Ronnie Dovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 07, 2020, 03:29:10 pm by Ronnie Dovers »
Out of interest what was our wage budget last season and the season before? Would we have been within this new cap?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on August 07, 2020, 03:58:32 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Is there a clause in the new rule preventing circumvention by loading what would have counted as wages into a player's signing-on fee (ie wages upfront but called something else)?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 07, 2020, 04:07:48 pm by since-1969 »
What are repercussions for squad sizes or length of contracts as players won’t want to sign for more than year and development squads will suffer as their wages will hit the hardest .
This will stifle growth and ambition.clubs are reliant on loan player who may well  be on larger contracts size  to play along side L1/L2 players so what does this do for loyalty .
This is bad news for many clubs who’s budgets ARE affordable and want to attract better players .Over  all squads sizes will be effected . If this was SO important why was it not proposed years before , as many clubs before Bolton or Bury have had their points deducted and risen from the ashes to be successful clubs Southampton, Leicester Leeds etc.. EVERY player has the right to be paid his or her worth as they are they once who put bums on seats and bring in the revenue . Too many clubs will attempt to break the rules as punishment will be worth it if means promotion .  We will be watching disgruntled players who just want to leave and get away as soon as each season is finished.. All that will be on offer is youth teams without any quality ..as players will drift away to pastures new.

Apparently the PFA has said “it is unlawful and unenforceable “. Let’s hope so !!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 04:11:00 pm by since-1969 »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012