Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:09:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lawlor - Oldham on loan  (Read 6384 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Lawlor - Oldham on loan
« Reply #30 on August 07, 2020, 04:20:57 pm by Filo »
I always felt Lawlor had potential but he just couldn’t seem to find the confidence to make use of his frame and athleticism by coming for crosses and commanding his box. He was a decent reactionary shot stopper but almost glued to his line when the ball came across and it cost us so many times. Sadly there was never any sign of that changing with coaching.

Marosi was a better all round keeper. Dieng was in another league entirely.

I agree with that, he also preferred punching when it was easier to catch

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on August 07, 2020, 04:21:11 pm by Draytonian III »
Oldham’s first choice keeper is Gary Woods

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on August 07, 2020, 04:22:24 pm by Filo »

The Gary Woods of can’t save long distant shots fame? 😂

mjg

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on August 07, 2020, 04:28:25 pm by mjg »
Both made to many mistakes

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on August 07, 2020, 04:29:12 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Glad it's sorted that out then. Lawlor is a panic merchant and has zero calming influence. Dieng was the opposite and was one of the best we've ever had if not the best in modern times. Marko was somewhere in between but good enough for me but he needed to get away to find a first team no 1 spot.

mjg

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on August 07, 2020, 04:57:42 pm by mjg »
Marko needed to command his box better and the number one rule for a goalkeeper is never change your mind ie hesitate, that’s why I never rated him , being able to pull a fine save off now and again does outweigh the mistakes and hesitations that cost us goals

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on August 07, 2020, 05:15:15 pm by Filo »
Marko needed to command his box better and the number one rule for a goalkeeper is never change your mind ie hesitate, that’s why I never rated him , being able to pull a fine save off now and again does outweigh the mistakes and hesitations that cost us goals

He commanded his box far better than Lawler, one is playing in the Championship next season, the other in L2, thats says it all realley

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on August 07, 2020, 05:39:16 pm by NickDRFC »

The Gary Woods of can’t save long distant shots fame? 😂

I think it was Ben Smith who was regularly beaten from distance. Gary Woods was just generally not very good! Think it was a testament to how good that defence in front of him was that he has a League One winners medal.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on August 07, 2020, 05:59:13 pm by ravenrover »
Such an odd one with Marko. Coventry mates rave about him as one of the best keepers they have ever had but he never filled me with that much confidence. Would have chosen Dieng over him all day long.
Who would you chosen between Lawlor snd Marosi though, that is the comparison

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on August 07, 2020, 06:00:52 pm by ravenrover »
Hasn't Bywater been released?

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on August 07, 2020, 06:40:56 pm by rich1471 »
Hasn't Bywater been released?
He retired i think

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on August 07, 2020, 06:53:12 pm by drfchound »
Glad it's sorted that out then. Lawlor is a panic merchant and has zero calming influence. Dieng was the opposite and was one of the best we've ever had if not the best in modern times. Marko was somewhere in between but good enough for me but he needed to get away to find a first team no 1 spot.

Marko was our first choice in his last season here.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 07:45:58 pm by drfchound »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on August 07, 2020, 07:41:01 pm by scawsby steve »

Mark I was our first choice in his last season here.

I can't ever remember you being our first choice keeper mate.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on August 07, 2020, 07:45:19 pm by drfchound »

Haha, that will teach me to rush a post because my tea is ready.

Amended now Steve.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on August 07, 2020, 10:21:36 pm by Janso »

And who's Mark?  :coat:

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on August 08, 2020, 07:05:48 am by Donnywolf »

Spot on from what I have read on this thread - but you could also have included " that Jones isnt up to standard" (from Reply #25)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on August 08, 2020, 07:20:59 am by Chris Black come back »
We have struggled for best part of a decade to find a long term keeper solution. We kept Sullivan playing well in to retirement and aside from the good loans (Johnstone, Button, etc) we have never had a reliable and solid keeper. Shame really.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on August 08, 2020, 10:22:15 am by NickDRFC »
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but how do loans fit in with the salary cap?

Say Lawlor is paid £2k a week and Oldham are paying half of that, would £1k count towards our salary cap and the £1k towards theirs? And what if there was no contribution to the wages, just a loan fee - would that be a way to circumvent the cap?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on August 08, 2020, 10:56:57 am by silent majority »
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but how do loans fit in with the salary cap?

Say Lawlor is paid £2k a week and Oldham are paying half of that, would £1k count towards our salary cap and the £1k towards theirs? And what if there was no contribution to the wages, just a loan fee - would that be a way to circumvent the cap?

 For 2020/21 ONLY - Any Player not included in the Club’s Squad List is also excluded from the Club’s Squad Salary Cap Calculation.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 08, 2020, 12:02:00 pm by NickDRFC »

 For 2020/21 ONLY - Any Player not included in the Club’s Squad List is also excluded from the Club’s Squad Salary Cap Calculation.

Thanks, presumably any wage contribution for loan players (part of the squad list) is therefore counted.

Just looked on the EFL website and it says “ any income generated from players going out on loan is deducted from the Club’s Salary Cap calculation“ - that doesn’t really make sense to me as you’re effectively benefitting twice.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on August 08, 2020, 12:07:34 pm by graingrover »
I always felt Lawlor had potential but he just couldn’t seem to find the confidence to make use of his frame and athleticism by coming for crosses and commanding his box. He was a decent reactionary shot stopper but almost glued to his line when the ball came across and it cost us so many times. Sadly there was never any sign of that changing with coaching.

Marosi was a better all round keeper. Dieng was in another league entirely.
You would think that a combination of coaching and continuous practice would strengthen such a fundamental skill as taking crosses safely and. with authority ..and maybe strength of mind is missing often ( as Copps points out ) ..training the mind .

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on August 08, 2020, 12:18:14 pm by selby »
  I watched Lawlor for the entire time he was here, and soon came to the conclusion he could make the most fantastic reaction save but basically was a bollock a game merchant.
  I watched Dieng for half a game and wrote on here he was head and shoulders a better keeper and should be first choice.
  Some on here disagreed and  had a go for me for saying so,

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on August 08, 2020, 01:17:13 pm by Bessie Red »
Such an odd one with Marko. Coventry mates rave about him as one of the best keepers they have ever had but he never filled me with that much confidence. Would have chosen Dieng over him all day long.
Marko all day long for me!!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on August 08, 2020, 01:34:51 pm by roversdude »
We were caught up comparing Marosi and Lawlor, we then got Dieng and it showed that both were way below his standard

jm291

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on August 08, 2020, 01:39:24 pm by jm291 »
Marko all day long for me!!
Was always a weak spot and a new keeper was needed. Better keep and we beat Charlton at the Valley.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on August 08, 2020, 01:42:18 pm by selby »
  Play Dieng from the start last season and we are probably in the play offs and still in the league cup.

mjg

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on August 08, 2020, 03:18:01 pm by mjg »
Nickdrfc so your saying I’m right he never commanded his box 🤣

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on August 08, 2020, 03:40:37 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
The thing with Dieng is that he was a Championship level keeper but needing match experience - the fit with us was perfect. The ideal is someone similar from the start of next season.

Jones, it depends at what level his sights are set. For me, he has to work his socks off this season, and as number two here he can learn quality in technique and mental aptitude rather than just piling on the match experience that he'd get in the Conference or below.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on August 08, 2020, 03:43:10 pm by phil old leake »
Don’t suppose anyone is thinking that Jk es might have impressed DM enough to warrant a start and maybe be first Choice
Never seen him in a game but I always thought he looked decent warming up
I know this is not the same as a game. It would be an interesting scenario

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on August 08, 2020, 03:45:12 pm by IDM »
He might, but we still need a no 2..

TinyPortal © 2005-2012