Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:59:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Charlton takeover in a mess  (Read 5420 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Charlton takeover in a mess
« on August 07, 2020, 02:52:37 pm by silent majority »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
Re: Charlton takeover in a mess
« Reply #1 on August 07, 2020, 02:55:23 pm by MachoMadness »
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what's gone on there over the last few seasons. Seems to have been one shyster after another. Feel for Bowyer, a decent young manager who's been dealt a shocking hand.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 07, 2020, 03:05:01 pm by scawsby steve »
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what's gone on there over the last few seasons. Seems to have been one shyster after another. Feel for Bowyer, a decent young manager who's been dealt a shocking hand.

Actually, up to this takeover fiasco, it's only been one shyster over the last few seasons; Duchatelet.

He's really screwed that club up.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 07, 2020, 03:25:31 pm by MachoMadness »
True, but these ESI guys seem to be a right gang of chancers. Hard to even work out what's going on with them.

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 07, 2020, 03:27:22 pm by Chris the Rover »
Another reason to be grateful that we are in safe hands at DRFC

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 07, 2020, 03:41:47 pm by Chris Black come back »
Suffice to say the manner in which we were cheated at The Valley in 2013 and then again in 2019, means many will have limited sympathy for them.

Keenstonian

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 07, 2020, 03:56:16 pm by Keenstonian »
I feel for the fans.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 07, 2020, 04:00:05 pm by selby »
Being in London and redeveloping the ground will be the attraction, not a football club, Richardson and his kind would likely have had a fire by now.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 07, 2020, 05:24:51 pm by IDM »
Suffice to say the manner in which we were cheated at The Valley in 2013 and then again in 2019, means many will have limited sympathy for them.
We weren’t cheated there in 2013, no way..

In 2019 the only issue was the choice of ends for penalties.  Did that make our players miss.?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 07, 2020, 05:25:36 pm by IDM »
The EFL have rejected 3 of the proposed directors under the O and D test;

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/charlton-proposed-takeover-blow-as-three-director-applications-rejected-by-efl-1596807350000

Haven’t read the link, but what’s the effect of this.?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 07, 2020, 05:36:21 pm by silent majority »
The EFL have rejected 3 of the proposed directors under the O and D test;

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/charlton-proposed-takeover-blow-as-three-director-applications-rejected-by-efl-1596807350000

Haven’t read the link, but what’s the effect of this.?

They need buyers and quick, otherwise they won't be allowed into the league.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 07, 2020, 05:41:32 pm by IDM »
What a mess.!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 07, 2020, 07:12:59 pm by drfchound »
It is only five weeks before the scheduled start of next season.
If they need buyers and quick, how can the EFL vet the potential new buyers in that time frame given that they were waiting eight months to come up with this decision over ESI.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 07, 2020, 07:32:06 pm by silent majority »
If they need buyers and quick, how can the EFL vet the potential new buyers in that time frame given that they were waiting eight months to come up with this decision over ESI.

It depends how quickly the buyers come up with the details requested, its not always the EFL's fault.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 07, 2020, 07:50:45 pm by drfchound »
Agreed SM, but surely the EFL could have pushed ESI a bit harder for the information.
Also, any information that the new owners come up with would have to be thoroughly checked.
Anyway, whatever happens I will be amazed if Charlton are refused permission to start the season..

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 07, 2020, 09:18:11 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Agreed SM, but surely the EFL could have pushed ESI a bit harder for the information.
Also, any information that the new owners come up with would have to be thoroughly checked.
Anyway, whatever happens I will be amazed if Charlton are refused permission to start the season..

The threat of not being allowed to compete in the league isn't enough?? What do you think the EFL should do to get information that's a harder push than that?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 07, 2020, 09:35:59 pm by drfchound »

The threat of not being allowed to compete in the league isn't enough?? What do you think the EFL should do to get information that's a harder push than that?

The EFL should have asked for information from ESI in January when they took over and still hadn’t got it until this week.
In my opinion they should have pushed much harder to get the information instead of waiting until a few days ago before making the threat.
Do you think that eight months is a reasonable amount of time to wait?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 09:40:56 pm by drfchound »

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 08, 2020, 07:24:23 am by DRNaith »

The EFL should have asked for information from ESI in January when they took over and still hadn’t got it until this week.
In my opinion they should have pushed much harder to get the information instead of waiting until a few days ago before making the threat.

I see it differently. HMRC don't have to push me for my tax return. In the same way to this situation, the new owners will have known what was required and also the consequences of not fulfilling that request.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 08, 2020, 11:17:07 am by roversdude »
In my professional career if something goes wrong/doesn’t work correctly we investigate it and learn lessons to stop it happening again. Obviously things have not been put in place post Bury debacle at the EFL

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 08, 2020, 01:34:12 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
People seem very quick to point the finger at the EFL. Should have done this, should have done that etc. They're not going to conduct their communications with clubs in public are they?

I'm sure the EFL give ample time for these matters given sales of clubs have already been agreed between vendor and buyer and to stop a process prematurely may be detrimental to the clubs survival. Of course there has to be a cut off point.

Similar with EPL v Newcastle. Its not up to EPL to correspond in the public realm and I bet they gave the new prospective owners every opportunity to distance themselves from the dodgy activity and they simply failed to do so and walked away. Its easy for them to cry wolf in public.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 08, 2020, 01:46:36 pm by drfchound »

I see it differently. HMRC don't have to push me for my tax return. In the same way to this situation, the new owners will have known what was required and also the consequences of not fulfilling that request.

That’s an interesting and well made point of view DRN.
However we always know in advance when we have to get those tax returns in by and we work to those timescales.
When the current owners took charge of Charlton it would have been interesting to know what timescale the EFL gave them to come up with the information that was required.
When you consider that ordinarily a new season would begin in early August and fixtures would be announced in June you have to think that a response would have been needed well before then in case any rearranging had to be done.
It was only in the last couple of days that the threat of expulsion was given so it would appear that CAFC have gone beyond whatever deadlines were originally set.
The EFL has form when it comes to dithering over making difficult decision (whereas HMRC certainly doesn’t)
and luckily the Charlton owners haven’t raped the club as has happened at Wigan inside a few weeks of their new owners taking over.
I see that the EFL have suggested that three of the directors of ESI don’t meet the fit and proper persons criteria so I suppose that makes things difficult but perhaps the ESI can find three new directors who might pass.
Alternatively new ownership altogether might be sought but is five weeks long enough for the EFL to do the necessary checks and allow them to start the new season.
Should it come to new ownership, my guess is that they won’t have enough time but that Charlton will be allowed to start the season.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 08, 2020, 01:54:10 pm by NewDonny »

It depends how quickly the buyers come up with the details requested, its not always the EFL's fault.

Correct, its not the EFL's fault, Charlton have known for weeks now that they needed to provide more detail on their ownership and finances.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 08, 2020, 03:22:54 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

According to that, I presume that you think they should have chucked Bury out a lot quicker then they did?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 08, 2020, 06:26:25 pm by drfchound »

According to that, I presume that you think they should have chucked Bury out a lot quicker then they did?

Possibly so.
They did dither about making that decision too didn’t they.
You haven’t answered my question yet.
Do you think that eight months to wait for the required information is reasonable?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 08, 2020, 07:36:55 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Possibly so.
Do you think that eight months to wait for the required information is reasonable?

No I don't, but I know what I'd want to the EFL to do to 'pressure' them. I'm wanting to find out what you'd want them to do.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 08, 2020, 07:41:58 pm by ravenrover »

Possibly so.
And Bolton

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 08, 2020, 08:01:23 pm by drfchound »

Possibly so.

No I don't, but I know what I'd want to the EFL to do to 'pressure' them. I'm wanting to find out what you'd want them to do.

I think you may have missed a word or two out of your response.
I have already said what I think the EFL should have done.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 08, 2020, 08:47:27 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Possibly so.

You've said they should push harder, but not how you think they should do that. Anyone can say 'they should do 'this''.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 08, 2020, 08:51:20 pm by drfchound »

Possibly so.

You've said they should push harder, but not how you think they should do that. Anyone can say 'they should do 'this''.

GW, sometimes your posts stand out like a sore thumb as wanting to start an argument.
That last one of yours is just that.
Use your imagination to work out how the EFL should contact Charlton to ask for the information.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 08, 2020, 09:07:14 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Possibly so.

GW, sometimes your posts stand out like a sore thumb as wanting to start an argument.
That last one of yours is just that.
Use your imagination to work out how the EFL should contact Charlton to ask for the information.

I've already used my imagination.

I'm not wanting to start an argument, I'm wanting to hear how you would want the EFL do what you suggest they do - which is pressure them, nothing to do with how they contact them and ask. If you don't know how you want them to do it, just say so! Or don't you have the imagination you so rudely expect others to have?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 09:10:15 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012