Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:17:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ad blocking  (Read 1099 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Ad blocking
« on August 08, 2020, 08:24:35 am by Donnywolf »
Ad Blocking

Still dont learn any more about PCs / Tech and so I cast my net for the usual "good intel" I get from you guys

I have Firefox as Browser and would like to rid myself of Ads particularly on Facebook. I have got all the relevant boxes ticked on there to suppress Ads and it works for a while and then they creep back on

Other Sites suggest an Ad Blocker of some sort as an extension to Firefox and my questions really are -

do they work ?

if yes which should I choose as there are 2 (maybe more) that be added to Firefox . I note that both have 4.5 out of 5 Stars ?

and always critical for me

do they bugger anything up (or can they)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: Ad blocking
« Reply #1 on August 08, 2020, 08:34:53 am by DonnyOsmond »
I've used AdBlock Plus for years and that's worked for me.

Darren

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 08, 2020, 08:43:44 am by Darren »
I've used Adblock for years also, it works very well.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 08, 2020, 08:51:24 am by Donnywolf »
Cheers for that - and is it just a question of downloading via Firefox and it does the rest ?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 08, 2020, 09:43:52 am by SydneyRover »
Pretty much, you have to click adblock and then the offending ad and then adblock sees them and blocks them for future visits to the site. Some sites change their ads a bit trying to defeat the blocks.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 08, 2020, 09:58:09 am by wilts rover »
No you don't get it automtically Wolfie -its a Mozilla add-on (free).

Once you download Firefox google Firefox adblocker and you will get the instructions on what to do. It's simple, even I can do it.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 08, 2020, 10:19:29 am by Donnywolf »
Pretty much, you have to click adblock and then the offending ad and then adblock sees them and blocks them for future visits to the site. Some sites change their ads a bit trying to defeat the blocks.

This is what I currently do with Facebook though and was led to believe (an) ad blocker of some type just stops the vast majority of them ?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 08, 2020, 10:22:25 am by Donnywolf »
No you don't get it automtically Wolfie -its a Mozilla add-on (free).

Once you download Firefox google Firefox adblocker and you will get the instructions on what to do. It's simple, even I can do it.

Cheers Wilts - I have been reading this morning that there are several I could opt to use. Must admit I get sick of things I dont want to see on Facebook and having turned them "off" they still come back after a month or so

I have got Firefox already and have seen the choices I could opt for but which do you actually use pls.

Heartened that its simple (like me)

Cheers again JT

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 08, 2020, 10:24:15 am by Dagenham Rover »
If anybody finds one that sorts the unnavigable Free Press site let me know  :)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 08, 2020, 10:36:34 am by SydneyRover »

This is what I currently do with Facebook though and was led to believe (an) ad blocker of some type just stops the vast majority of them ?

I used to use Firefox Wolf but found the searches not as good so went back to google. Once installed adblock is as good as anything. When you visit a site and ads pop up click on the adblock logo, it will then invite you to click on the ad and sort of log it into its memory for next time, but if the ad changes shape next time you visit the site you may have to repeat this. It doesn't automatically block all the ads and some sites don't allow access unless you disable your adblock which is done by clicking on the adblock logo and following the prompts.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 08, 2020, 10:51:23 am by Donnywolf »
Cheers for that. A bit like blocking emails then - if you dont block the domain after the @ they are still free to change the bit before the @ and keep going

On Adblocking though it seems to say its they (the AdBlocker) that do the work so "you dont have to" but if I have to click on a certain Ad and tell it not to come back that will be a pain and in fact little better than what I am doing with Facebook at the mo

There I click Hids Ad - then I always click "irrelevant" and then under further options "Block ... whoever it is). Then I never see them again to my knowlegde but of course others just keep on coming

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 08, 2020, 11:09:32 am by SydneyRover »
I'm a bit like you Wolf a lot of trial and error

wilts rover

• Forum Member

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 08, 2020, 01:56:27 pm by phil old leake »
Anyone got any ideas how to stop receiving phone calls from all over the world.  It rings once and stops

I know not to answer but it’s been going on regularly for about a month and it’s starting to get right up my bugle

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 08, 2020, 02:10:39 pm by albie »
The best adblocker for Firefox is uBlockOrigin;
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/?src=search

Highly customisable, so you can set it to the level you wish.
The developer shows a resource comparison with Adblock Plus here;
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/uBlock-vs.-ABP:-efficiency-compared

Lots of vids on YT with instructions to customise, but the default version works well out of the box.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 02:21:36 pm by albie »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 09, 2020, 06:51:16 am by Donnywolf »
Got to say I am loving the new look Facebook / Twitter et al

No adverts - no forever deleting them - just surfing as I want it to be, that is without hassle(s)

I had to settle on using Adblock ultimate in the end and it appears to be working extremely well. I have not done anything to activate it other than to install it which took seconds.

Everything seems to have been done "at source" and I just get a logo to[ right which shows the number of Ads blocked for each different Site I visit (e.g. there are 3 showing now as I type this on site) so for any users of Ultimate - a question please.

Is this "it" - or should I have an icon to look at and do I need to do anything else ? SR talked above about me having to click on and block Ads periodically but so far they all seem to have just "gone" not that I am complaining - its brilliant - so thanks everyone who helped out - good and reliable as usual

cheers wolfie

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 16, 2020, 06:25:39 am by Donnywolf »
Update - a week on and still happy with finding Adblocker via the Posters on here

What an amazing difference to my "surfing" - I am a big fan of this now - years of being plagued by ads vanished in seconds

Cheers all

TinyPortal © 2005-2012