Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:07:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Analytics in football  (Read 562 times)

River Don

• Forum Member
Analytics in football
« on August 09, 2020, 06:12:48 pm by River Don »
I have always been sceptical about how much impact analytics can have in a game like football but having read this I'm beginning to change my mind. It does make very interesting reading.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/magazine/soccer-data-liverpool.html

Our kid is really into her maths, I've sort of assumed she will end up working in a bank or something. I might suggest she consider looking at football now.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: Analytics in football
« Reply #1 on August 09, 2020, 06:32:05 pm by DonnyOsmond »
The article shows as you need to register so not seen it. Looks like it's about Liverpool who are the most famous but then there's Brentford, who have used it for years and have made millions from it. I think they're positive financially while being in the Championship while being similar size club to ourselves and have been challenging for promotion. Coventry used it in parts recently too. Midtjylland use it too and it helped them win their first title from it. It allows clubs to go to the next level and without using big data I doubt we'd have all of those situations. When you're not the richest or biggest of clubs you need to have that bit extra which in our league Coventry did. Southampton and Leicester are examples over the last 10 years too. The types of data available is evolving all the time such as with xG a few years ago but with football being all action, end to end it's working out what to do with all of that data and people have struggled making use of it or been bothered to but clubs that do recently have gained from it. You need a player that fits in to how you play too which data helps you find. There's no point just signing that 20 goal a season player if he's not going to fit into how you play ala Marquis at Pompey, that's just stupid and wastes money. You might as well do what Barnsley have done with Chaplin and sign someone who's playing in the wrong team but would do well in how you play.

Football for a career in analytics isn't that big or prosperous at the moment as a lot of clubs don't take it seriously. If that happens then it might be a smarter career move but you'll still probably have lower clubs paying peanuts for skilled workers.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 06:50:08 pm by DonnyOsmond »

River Don

• Forum Member
Re: Analytics in football
« Reply #2 on August 09, 2020, 06:47:11 pm by River Don »
I was being a bit flippant when I made that remark about working in football.

Still as the bloke in the article points out, it's not all about money. He's involved in a new and evolving industry and just being apart of that inspires him.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012