Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:30:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sadlier  (Read 24790 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Sadlier
« Reply #30 on August 10, 2020, 08:17:48 pm by drfchound »
Championship increasingly like Premier League. Teams promoted from League One generally struggle. Wigan relegated twice in last four seasons. Same with Rotherham. This season all three of promoted clubs finished in bottom six. If Wigan had not had their points deduction then 2 of the 3 would have gone down.

This is why I always wonder why people complained that Rovers didn’t  do well whenever we were in the Championship.
It is always going to be hard for us to stay up if we get promoted.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on August 10, 2020, 08:19:43 pm by ravenrover »
Thete are 2 questions a young player should be bothered about what are you willing to pay me and will I be playing every week?
How many players of Sads age would put money over whether they were getting a game every week, yeah we will pay you £500 a week more than you are on now but you will be a squad player and on the bench most weeks or we will pay you a bit more than you are on now you will be in the 11 every week and you are playing in the Championship, now which would you choose as a young footballer?
Good luck to Our No7 wherever he ends up and what he is paid is none of our business

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 10, 2020, 08:20:23 pm by scawsby steve »
Thanks hound knew mills went up but didn't realize he played so many games, so we are up to 5 players so far in recent times

Mark Duffy.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on August 10, 2020, 08:27:54 pm by drfchound »
John Lundstram and Enda Stevens.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on August 10, 2020, 08:33:17 pm by Metalmicky »
Thete are 2 questions a young player should be bothered about what are you willing to pay me and will I be playing every week?
How many players of Sads age would put money over whether they were getting a game every week, yeah we will pay you £500 a week more than you are on now but you will be a squad player and on the bench most weeks or we will pay you a bit more than you are on now you will be in the 11 every week and you are playing in the Championship, now which would you choose as a young footballer?
Good luck to Our No7 wherever he ends up and what he is paid is none of our business

That's a load of balderdash - do you really believe any team would sell themselves like that...?

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on August 10, 2020, 09:01:19 pm by dknward2 »
John Lundstram and Enda Stevens.

I didn't include them as they weren't our players

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on August 10, 2020, 09:06:42 pm by drfchound »
Ah, fair enough.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on August 10, 2020, 09:44:33 pm by dknward2 »
Still great players through

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on August 10, 2020, 10:24:25 pm by idler »
Tommy Spurr did OK until his injury.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 10, 2020, 11:42:59 pm by MachoMadness »
Simon Gillett had a decent career after leaving us did he not?

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on August 11, 2020, 03:00:26 am by WheatleyRover »
Championship increasingly like Premier League. Teams promoted from League One generally struggle. Wigan relegated twice in last four seasons. Same with Rotherham. This season all three of promoted clubs finished in bottom six. If Wigan had not had their points deduction then 2 of the 3 would have gone down.

This is why I always wonder why people complained that Rovers didn’t  do well whenever we were in the Championship.

Overall yes, but we had that one decent season where we finished 12th the second season we were up there.

Obviously it was never possible finacially but i always wonder if we were able to keep Mills and Wellens with Sharp up front how we could of done that season, probably would have challenged for the play-offs.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on August 11, 2020, 07:36:27 am by drfchound »

Overall yes, but we had that one decent season where we finished 12th the second season we were up there.

Obviously it was never possible finacially but i always wonder if we were able to keep Mills and Wellens with Sharp up front how we could of done that season, probably would have challenged for the play-offs.

I think we could have done Wheatley.
Then, as now though, we are unable to compete financially with what our better players are able to get elsewhere so they are always likely to move on.
That season when we finished twelfth was a tremendous effort and we were good value for it.
Despite the relegation battles and lack of wins though I would like to see us battling to stay in the Championship.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on August 11, 2020, 08:27:23 am by phil old leake »
I think to assume a player of Sadliers age shouldn’t put money first is a bit naive

A good move to anywhere on the right money could set you up for life

I can’t imagine any player has played for us and been set for life

If a player can negotiate a good package then good luck to them

The likes of JC and loyalty are generally in the past

Why would a player or manager show any loyalty for any club
The way clubs change managers you can’t afford to be loyal unless you’re On good wages
Good luck to any player who can move on and improve themselves financially

How many on here can truthfully say they would continue to work where they are if someone offered to double or substantially increase their wages
I enjoy my job but I’d be gone that afternoon so I could support my family the best I can

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on August 11, 2020, 09:24:54 am by ravenrover »

That's a load of balderdash - do you really believe any team would sell themselves like that...?
So Liverpool have signed Kostas Tsimikas and told him he will be playing regularly in front of Andy Robertson? Yeah right

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on August 11, 2020, 10:31:26 am by since-1969 »
What does it matter anyone now .. Stadlier played himself into a position where his value raised and Rovers didn’t see his  long term potential unlike Whiteman. Good luck to him as playing for a new team will either improve  him or like Marquis demonstrate his limitations.

If we didn’t see his potential, why was he offered a new contract.?
He was offered a better one at Rotherham !!!!! 

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on August 11, 2020, 10:35:13 am by Metalmicky »

So Liverpool have signed Kostas Tsimikas and told him he will be playing regularly in front of Andy Robertson? Yeah right

Different entirely - Liverpool have a squad that is probably 3-4 times the size of ours and players joining them will know that they will not automatically be guaranteed a first team place..... for instance, I bet that Andy Robertson didn't play all games in his first season after joining Liverpool from Hull.
I'd think that Liverpool will have signed Kostas Tsimikas and told him to challenge for the the left back position...  I'd also guarantee that although on a good wage at Olympiacos, his wages will have increased significantly with his signing for Liverpool........  probably because his agent negotiated it for him. 

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on August 11, 2020, 10:37:31 am by EasyforDennis »

Then, as now though, we are unable to compete financially with what our better players are able to get elsewhere so they are always likely to move on.
That season when we finished twelfth was a tremendous effort and we were good value for it.
Despite the relegation battles and lack of wins though I would like to see us battling to stay in the Championship.

Why is it always "we are unable to compete financially"? Isn't it more a case of we are "unwilling" to compete financially?

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on August 11, 2020, 10:44:15 am by Chris the Rover »
Easy to spend somebody else’s money isn’t it, EasyforDennis?

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on August 11, 2020, 11:01:45 am by colincramb »

Why is it always "we are unable to compete financially"? Isn't it more a case of we are "unwilling" to compete financially?

We are unable to compete financially. We don’t get enough people in the stadium to compete in the championship. Simple fact

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 11, 2020, 11:28:35 am by EasyforDennis »

Of course it is. Unfortunately most supporters of football clubs expect their clubs to be ambitious, some more than others. Then there are some who are quite happy to plod along and never take any risks. I guess I am in the former and you are in the latter.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on August 11, 2020, 11:48:40 am by vaya »

Of course it is. Unfortunately most supporters of football clubs expect their clubs to be ambitious, some more than others. Then there are some who are quite happy to plod along and never take any risks. I guess I am in the former and you are in the latter.

Although this is of course, zero risk to you.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on August 11, 2020, 11:56:04 am by EasyforDennis »

I take it you never take any risks in your life?

I pay for a season ticket every year. When I purchase it there is a risk I might not use it. If you want a risk free life, lock all your doors, get everything delivered and never go out of your house again.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on August 11, 2020, 12:19:09 pm by vaya »

I pay for a season ticket every year. When I purchase it there is a risk I might not use it. If you want a risk free life, lock all your doors, get everything delivered and never go out of your house again.

Potentially missing the odd game is obviously on a par with borrowing £20 million to build a stadium and funding Championship football ad infinitum.

Please accept my apologies.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on August 11, 2020, 12:28:02 pm by IDM »
What does it matter anyone now .. Stadlier played himself into a position where his value raised and Rovers didn’t see his  long term potential unlike Whiteman. Good luck to him as playing for a new team will either improve  him or like Marquis demonstrate his limitations.

If we didn’t see his potential, why was he offered a new contract.?
He was offered a better one at Rotherham !!!!! 

So what.?  Your first point was about DRFC seeing his potential - we wanted to keep him so a contract was offered.  If another club can give him more, that’s just how it is.

Even more so these days we have to live within our means, and if that means certain players are out of reach, so be it.

Unless you would rather have a boom and bust spend spend spend ambition, which may work in the short term but which royally f**ks the club up the arse long term.?

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on August 11, 2020, 12:31:31 pm by Branton Rover »
Surely if he wants to play Championship football he’ll have to accept anything rather than negotiate himself into unemployment - he’s not Thierry Henry he’s a very ordinary lad at that level

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on August 11, 2020, 12:35:59 pm by Branton Rover »
We all want Championship football - with some more deluded wanting Premier League too - however to me it’s becoming more and more obvious that remaining in the Championship is ten times more difficult than getting there - I’d rather be a well run side in league one than go shit or bust trying to get into a league where we just can’t compete financially

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on August 11, 2020, 01:00:02 pm by Alan Southstand »
I’ll bet the players don’t think like that, Branton.

You have to try to achieve something and if your best isn’t good enough, fair enough. Similarly, the management would want to test themselves at the highest possible level.

Us supporters just hope for enough ambition to carry us forwards. I’d love to see us back up there and pit our wits again.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on August 11, 2020, 01:18:43 pm by EasyforDennis »

Potentially missing the odd game is obviously on a par with borrowing £20 million to build a stadium and funding Championship football ad infinitum.

So what if I didn't get the opportunity to use my season for any game?
Borrowing £20m at favourable rates to give you a 20k stadium which is worth money is better then having a stadium which is worth nothing.
Look at some of the clubs doing well in the Premiership and championship who own their own grounds and are in towns no bigger than Doncaster and getting relatively small crowds. Don't you aspire to that? Or are you happy plodding along with a mid table league 1 club?
Didn't I read on here that before Covid struck we were at a point where we didn't need the annual funding from the owners? I presume you don't want us to take a financial risk on a potential young player that we could sell on?

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on August 11, 2020, 01:30:10 pm by vaya »

Borrowing £20m at favourable rates to give you a 20k stadium which is worth money is better then having a stadium which is worth nothing.
Look at some of the clubs doing well in the Premiership and championship who own their own grounds and are in towns no bigger than Doncaster and getting relatively small crowds. Don't you aspire to that? Or are you happy plodding along with a mid table league 1 club?
Didn't I read on here that before Covid struck we were at a point where we didn't need the annual funding from the owners? I presume you don't want us to take a financial risk on a potential young player that we could sell on?

All so straightforward makes you wonder why Rovers and every other club in League One haven't followed this plan for success.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on August 11, 2020, 01:45:38 pm by Metalmicky »

Just for clarity, are we taking a risk on the potential of a player to be young, or on a young player having potential...?   :huh:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012