Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:30:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sadlier  (Read 25330 times)

Capmeister

• Forum Member
Re: Sadlier
« Reply #90 on August 11, 2020, 09:14:54 pm by Capmeister »
Sadlier is just another soldier of fortune. He’d be at Hull but that went sideways. He’s at Rotherham cos no one else would take a punt on someone who hasn’t grafted long enough to prove themselves. He’s up their with McCann for me.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on August 11, 2020, 09:20:37 pm by adamtherover »
Easy to spend somebody else’s money isn’t it, EasyforDennis?

Of course it is. Unfortunately most supporters of football clubs expect their clubs to be ambitious, some more than others. Then there are some who are quite happy to plod along and never take any risks. I guess I am in the former and you are in the latter.

Although this is of course, zero risk to you.

I take it you never take any risks in your life?

I pay for a season ticket every year. When I purchase it there is a risk I might not use it. If you want a risk free life, lock all your doors, get everything delivered and never go out of your house again.

Potentially missing the odd game is obviously on a par with borrowing £20 million to build a stadium and funding Championship football ad infinitum.

Please accept my apologies.

So what if I didn't get the opportunity to use my season for any game?
Borrowing £20m at favourable rates to give you a 20k stadium which is worth money is better then having a stadium which is worth nothing.
Look at some of the clubs doing well in the Premiership and championship who own their own grounds and are in towns no bigger than Doncaster and getting relatively small crowds. Don't you aspire to that? Or are you happy plodding along with a mid table league 1 club?
Didn't I read on here that before Covid struck we were at a point where we didn't need the annual funding from the owners? I presume you don't want us to take a financial risk on a potential young player that we could sell on?

Have you passed by Darlington stadium in recent times?
That worked well for them.
Now let's think who would want to buy a football stadium in Darlington?
I didn't see a bidding war for that one and see it now barely used and beginning to deteriorate noticeably.

Darlington's stadium was an ego trip for an ex jailbird. It is not in a great position either. We could have had a stadium with great motorway connections. Why do you have to come up with a negative? What about the positives or does that not suit your way of thinking? Brighton have grown from being in a similar situation to us and look at them now. Similar with Brentford who are moving to a new stadium next season?
Brighton, are similar to Bournemouth in the fact that just because they once were in the 3rd tier,, doesn't mean we should aspire to follow their paths. They are light years away from us in terms of the investment they have received.  Several years ago, the Brighton chairman said on TV that he was 250 million deep into his support of BHA.  One 6 figure fee 10 years ago doesn't rank as being ambition in the grand scheme of things. There's too many clubs with serious funding, they can't all be successful, they can however, all spend a fortune. Right now, survival through cv19 is the priority.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on August 11, 2020, 09:21:03 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

How many on here can truthfully say they would continue to work where they are if someone offered to double or substantially increase their wages

Me. I did precisely that in 2015.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on August 11, 2020, 09:38:39 pm by ravenrover »
  BB, promotion means they are £6 million + better off to spend, the trick is not to spend the full £6 million and get relegated with big contracted players.
They have just signed Sadlier on a bigger salary than we can afford (quite considerably more) so we can't blame the player for going, we gave him a leg up career wise and he did well for us.
  They will probably sign more of the same plus loanees, They need to stay up this time the salary cap and Covid if it hits the Championship hard with reduced crowds means it will be more difficult for relegated sides next season.
Considetably more?And you know this how Selby?
Maybe if we had offered a little more he would still be at DRFC.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on August 11, 2020, 09:46:01 pm by drfchound »
Sadlier is just another soldier of fortune. He’d be at Hull but that went sideways. He’s at Rotherham cos no one else would take a punt on someone who hasn’t grafted long enough to prove themselves. He’s up their with McCann for me.

What about the likes of Paul Green, John Marquis, Tommy Rowe, Tommy Spurr etc etc etc.
Are they all soldiers of fortune just for improving their lot.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on August 11, 2020, 09:47:08 pm by IDM »
  BB, promotion means they are £6 million + better off to spend, the trick is not to spend the full £6 million and get relegated with big contracted players.
They have just signed Sadlier on a bigger salary than we can afford (quite considerably more) so we can't blame the player for going, we gave him a leg up career wise and he did well for us.
  They will probably sign more of the same plus loanees, They need to stay up this time the salary cap and Covid if it hits the Championship hard with reduced crowds means it will be more difficult for relegated sides next season.
Considetably more?And you know this how Selby?
Maybe if we had offered a little more he would still be at DRFC.

And maybe he wanted more than our top offer.. he’s gone.. I’d rather be discussing players we may be signing.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on August 11, 2020, 09:50:53 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Jeez some of the comments  Ok hes gone to Rotherham  so what, next season they are a Championship side,  personally I think its quite a good move for him he'll be able to pit his self against established championship players/teams and prove his worth to the Championship,  at this point its an upward move for him.

All the best and thanks for giving 100% all the time   good luck

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on August 11, 2020, 09:58:21 pm by Bentley Bullet »
My disappointment isn't that he's made an 'upward' move, it's that it's an 'upward' move to Rotherham.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on August 11, 2020, 10:02:53 pm by roversdude »
It’s unfortunate but Rotherham is a step up at the moment, he’s playing at a higher level end of. As always we move on he was one part of the whole

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on August 11, 2020, 10:15:14 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Let's just hope that we're going to do something about Rotherham being a step up.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on August 11, 2020, 10:27:31 pm by wilts rover »
Good luck at commuting that from Cambridge every day for training...

Yeah, coz Rotherham is soooooo much further away than Donny.

Is it? Must be if you say so.

However as he lived in Doncaster whilst playing for Rovers but has recently moved to Cambridge (according to a close relative posting on here) what's the relevance?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on August 11, 2020, 10:28:59 pm by drfchound »
Are you sure that he has recently moved to Cambridge.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on August 11, 2020, 11:40:05 pm by Draytonian III »

He’s gone and got another job for more money, that’s it , footballer, plumber, pot washer, engineer, or whatever you want to say , 99% of people move jobs for more money ,end of

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on August 11, 2020, 11:51:44 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Can't believe that some people are that bitter about him joining Rotherham. They're not even in our division next season so the rivalry is on hold once again.

Don't care what style of football they'll play. Whatever they adopt, Sadlier will have to adapt. If he doesn't then maybe he's not a good as what we think he is.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on August 11, 2020, 11:52:53 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

He’s gone and got another job for more money, that’s it , footballer, plumber, pot washer, engineer, or whatever you want to say , 99% of people move jobs for more money ,end of

But we don’t have an emotional connection to our plumbers, pot washers or engineers. We do to our football club though.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on August 12, 2020, 12:11:51 am by tyke1962 »
Just my two penneth on this without the emotional attachment .

You guys say he is a very good player in league one which is fair enough and I wouldn't doubt it .

However he may have gone to the Championship but signing for Rotherham United suggests there wasn't exactly a host of clubs bidding for his signature .

There was a at least four or five of our players in our promotion team of 2018/19 who were top league one players , Cavare , McGeehan , Pinillos , Thiam .

And about four or five championship appearances behind them before they were binned on the strength they weren't good enough to make that step up .

He's signed for Rotherham , the best show in town as far as he's concerned .

You've lost a player to a local rival fair enough it ain't great but look at the bigger picture here .

All things point to a player who may not be up to the standard of championship football , if he was then Rotherham wouldn't be in the market for him .

He's freed up some spends .

Logical thinking on this one in my opinion .

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on August 12, 2020, 12:54:58 am by Draytonian III »

But we don’t have an emotional connection to our plumbers, pot washers or engineers. We do to our football club though.

“Emotional connection “ he signed in Jan 19 !!! Give me strength, Louis Jones has been at the club since 2012 that’s a emotional connection and his a Doncaster lad . When he moves on good luck to him, it’s about time some people realised footballers play football for job because they can make a living at it

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on August 12, 2020, 01:42:59 am by NewDonny »

You guys say he is a very good player in league one which is fair enough and I wouldn't doubt it .

However he may have gone to the Championship but signing for Rotherham United suggests there wasn't exactly a host of clubs bidding for his signature .

There was a at least four or five of our players in our promotion team of 2018/19 who were top league one players , Cavare , McGeehan , Pinillos , Thiam .

And about four or five championship appearances behind them before they were binned on the strength they weren't good enough to make that step up .

You've lost a player to a local rival fair enough it ain't great but look at the bigger picture here .

All things point to a player who may not be up to the standard of championship football , if he was then Rotherham wouldn't be in the market for him .

Nothing at all logical about your post tbh Tyke. In fact probably just about wrong on every point. Simple question for you though, being a Barnsley supporter did you attend any Donny games this last season just gone?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 04:24:16 am by NewDonny »

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on August 12, 2020, 06:28:53 am by Herbert Anchovy »

“Emotional connection “ he signed in Jan 19 !!! Give me strength, Louis Jones has been at the club since 2012 that’s a emotional connection and his a Doncaster lad . When he moves on good luck to him, it’s about time some people realised footballers play football for job because they can make a living at it

I’m pointing out that your comparison is total nonsense. I have an ‘Emotional Connection’ to the club so consequently I get pissed off when players want to leave, particularly when they do go to a local rival. I don’t get pissed off if my local curry house recruits a new pot washer.  It may be illogical, but supporting the Rovers is quite often illogical. Maybe you have a little strength now?

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on August 12, 2020, 06:46:49 am by coventryrover »
Football is transient for those who earn a living.     He did his best whilst playing for us.  Good luck to the lad.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on August 12, 2020, 08:00:24 am by Metalmicky »

Before we throw that slant around we should all remember that even the most loyal of subjects can have their heads turned.....

.....although in fairness to Copps, he was on the Rovers coach to Yeovil at the time.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on August 12, 2020, 08:01:58 am by GazLaz »
He’s another player we could have potentially made a profit on but we let their contract expire. We are very poor in this scenario. Even if we only for 200-300k for him, that’s a lot of money for us.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on August 12, 2020, 08:07:22 am by EasyforDennis »
Easy to spend somebody else’s money isn’t it, EasyforDennis?

Of course it is. Unfortunately most supporters of football clubs expect their clubs to be ambitious, some more than others. Then there are some who are quite happy to plod along and never take any risks. I guess I am in the former and you are in the latter.

Although this is of course, zero risk to you.

I take it you never take any risks in your life?

I pay for a season ticket every year. When I purchase it there is a risk I might not use it. If you want a risk free life, lock all your doors, get everything delivered and never go out of your house again.

Potentially missing the odd game is obviously on a par with borrowing £20 million to build a stadium and funding Championship football ad infinitum.

Please accept my apologies.

So what if I didn't get the opportunity to use my season for any game?
Borrowing £20m at favourable rates to give you a 20k stadium which is worth money is better then having a stadium which is worth nothing.
Look at some of the clubs doing well in the Premiership and championship who own their own grounds and are in towns no bigger than Doncaster and getting relatively small crowds. Don't you aspire to that? Or are you happy plodding along with a mid table league 1 club?
Didn't I read on here that before Covid struck we were at a point where we didn't need the annual funding from the owners? I presume you don't want us to take a financial risk on a potential young player that we could sell on?

Have you passed by Darlington stadium in recent times?
That worked well for them.
Now let's think who would want to buy a football stadium in Darlington?
I didn't see a bidding war for that one and see it now barely used and beginning to deteriorate noticeably.

Darlington's stadium was an ego trip for an ex jailbird. It is not in a great position either. We could have had a stadium with great motorway connections. Why do you have to come up with a negative? What about the positives or does that not suit your way of thinking? Brighton have grown from being in a similar situation to us and look at them now. Similar with Brentford who are moving to a new stadium next season?
Brighton, are similar to Bournemouth in the fact that just because they once were in the 3rd tier,, doesn't mean we should aspire to follow their paths. They are light years away from us in terms of the investment they have received.  Several years ago, the Brighton chairman said on TV that he was 250 million deep into his support of BHA.  One 6 figure fee 10 years ago doesn't rank as being ambition in the grand scheme of things. There's too many clubs with serious funding, they can't all be successful, they can however, all spend a fortune. Right now, survival through cv19 is the priority.

OK so let's forget any ideas about ambition shall we?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on August 12, 2020, 08:24:00 am by IDM »
He’s another player we could have potentially made a profit on but we let their contract expire. We are very poor in this scenario. Even if we only for 200-300k for him, that’s a lot of money for us.

We didn’t “let” his contract expire though - he was offered a new one ages ago but chose not to sign..

We can’t force players to sign.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on August 12, 2020, 08:25:55 am by IDM »

I’m pointing out that your comparison is total nonsense. I have an ‘Emotional Connection’ to the club so consequently I get pissed off when players want to leave, particularly when they do go to a local rival. I don’t get pissed off if my local curry house recruits a new pot washer.  It may be illogical, but supporting the Rovers is quite often illogical. Maybe you have a little strength now?

Did Sadlier choose to leave in order to go to our rivals.?   Or did he choose to leave because he wanted to play at a higher level and for more money.?  In that case, the choice of club is irrelevant..

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on August 12, 2020, 08:31:05 am by vaya »

We didn’t “let” his contract expire though - he was offered a new one ages ago but chose not to sign..

We can’t force players to sign.

I think I'm right in saying he's run his contract down at every club. On that basis there's a fair chance whatever we offered was going to be irrelevant.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on August 12, 2020, 08:43:01 am by Bentley Bullet »
What is relevant is that Sadlier chose to go to Rotherham because they are at a higher level and pay more wages. The frustration some Rovers fans feel (including me) is WHY they are at a higher level and pay more wages.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #117 on August 12, 2020, 08:46:43 am by IDM »
Because they finished higher in the league.?

Are you saying that a 9th place finish (Covid or not) under DM, after the palaver of last summer - plus the way we were playing under DM and the direction we were going, is frustrating.?

That one of our local rivals finished above us and got promoted, matters little.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 08:58:31 am by IDM »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on August 12, 2020, 08:50:02 am by Filo »

Nothing at all logical about your post tbh Tyke. In fact probably just about wrong on every point. Simple question for you though, being a Barnsley supporter did you attend any Donny games this last season just gone?

After trying to discredit people saying he was going to Rotherham, your opinion means nothing, will you become New Miller now? P.S. Hulls relegation pissed on his bonfire a bit eh?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on August 12, 2020, 09:06:16 am by Bentley Bullet »
Because they finished higher in the league.?

Are you saying that a 9th place finish (Covid or not) under DM, after the palaver of last summer - plus the way we were playing under DM and the direction we were going, is frustrating.?

That one of our local rivals finished above us and got promoted, matters little.

The question I ask is WHY they finished higher up the league. If it was because they pay higher wages then I suggest it isn't a very level playing pitch. If that is the case I can't see any reason why they can afford to invest more in the team than we can in ours. If it is down to our obsession with self-sufficiency maybe our investment bar is set a little too low compared to theirs.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012