Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:48:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Latest polls  (Read 2127 times)

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
Latest polls
« on August 11, 2020, 02:13:19 am by bpoolrover »
Looking at the latest polls you have to wonder how labour Can recover from the corbyn era, a few weeks ago you had posters saying how they had not seen such a switch in votes for 30 years and the tories were finished, roll on a few weeks and there still 8 points ahead with the worst ever pandemic, any other time the opposition would surly be miles ahead but labour can’t seem to get anywhere near closing the gap, are the Labour Party finished as opposition in the short term?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Latest polls
« Reply #1 on August 11, 2020, 08:17:33 am by IDM »
Finished as opposition.?

Where do you think they have gone/will go.?

Isn’t parliament on its summer break.?  There aren’t any political machinations at the moment so there’s nowt in the headlines to affect those polls is there.?

Things have gone quiet for now, but if you think people will forget the colossal goat f**k that this government has been, along with the quantum leap in leadership qualities which Starmer brings, Labour will be far more competitive when the next election come around.  I’m not predicting what the actual outcomes will be, but I believe you’re making something out of nothing here..

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 11, 2020, 08:23:59 am by selby »
  Where is Stabber Starmer?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 11, 2020, 08:48:05 am by IDM »

Not sure why you can’t just use his name.. but isn’t it a parliamentary recess at the moment.?  Perhaps - politically speaking - it’s a quiet period.?  Maybe just maybe it’s as good a time as any for him to have his holiday.?

Where was Boris Johnson in February when the pandemic was kicking off.?  How many Cobra meetings did he miss.?

When was the last Cobra meeting.?  The pandemic hasn’t gone away and we can see the post-lockdown cracks appearing - Leicester and Aberdeen for example, never mind what’s going on in Australia (in a wider context)..

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 11, 2020, 09:58:47 am by Glyn_Wigley »
It's OK, silly selby is here to save the day.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 11, 2020, 12:13:33 pm by DonnyOsmond »
On who would make best Prime Minister:

Keir Starmer: 34% (+3)
Boris Johnson: 32% (-1)

via @YouGov, 04 - 05 Aug
Chgs. w/ 31 Jul

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 11, 2020, 12:22:15 pm by IDM »
Looking at the latest polls you have to wonder how labour Can recover from the corbyn era, a few weeks ago you had posters saying how they had not seen such a switch in votes for 30 years and the tories were finished, roll on a few weeks and there still 8 points ahead with the worst ever pandemic, any other time the opposition would surly be miles ahead but labour can’t seem to get anywhere near closing the gap, are the Labour Party finished as opposition in the short term?

PS, what latest polls.?  Do you have a link.?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 11, 2020, 05:40:57 pm by Donnywolf »
ANYONE who has lived through 8 or 10 Elections would KNOW that the Opposition often look finished

When Tony Blair won in 1997 the Tories looked old men, with old ideas and a series of scandals behind them.

I stupidly thought that they would never get in power again

Someone on a Forum (if there had been such things) should have put me right by saying)........

....... ANYONE who has lived through 8 or 10 Elections would KNOW that the Opposition often look finished
Here's the link to that Election

1 May 1997

The Conservatives suffered the biggest collapse in modern political history. The economic debacle of Black Wednesday (1992) and a tide of scandals had blighted the Tories’ reputation, while Labour had a fresh-faced leader in Tony Blair, as well as a new, moderate image. The campaign saw Labour emphasise their economic responsibility, while the Tories tore themselves apart over Europe. Blair won a record 179-seat majority.

Why Labour won: The Conservatives were discredited after five years of economic blunders and front-page scandals, while Labour leader Tony Blair cultivated a moderate, modernising image.

And of course they are back yet again - though with the support of the Right wing press and the tinkering with the Electoral constituencies again - and possibly Scottish Independence it will get ever harder for Labour to win

PR would help but the Tories are not going to give anyone a vote on that at any time soon as they would be the biggest losers under that system

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 11, 2020, 06:25:42 pm by wilts rover »
Wait till Boris shafts the Brexiteers by renaging on all he said he will get in his last minute deal with the EU - then get back to us...

Good to see you back bkpool, I noticed you hadn't posted anything for a while. What do you think to this Tory MP who is an alleged rapist? It came out the same week that a former Tory MP was found guilty of sexual assualt (whilst an MP) and a major donor was accussed of it?

It was the week after Johnson gave a peerage to an IRA sympathiser and paedophile apologist.

I know you are concerned about these things, attacks on women and children, as you have said so in the past.

I would like to think I am suprised so many people support a party that puts up with these things - but I'm not. As to whether people support them despite them being a party of corrupt, Russian backed, rapists, paedophile and terrorist apologists who have given millions of £'s of taxpayers money to their friends and backers - or because of it - well....

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 11, 2020, 11:55:16 pm by Janso »
Wait till Boris shafts the Brexiteers by renaging on all he said he will get in his last minute deal with the EU - then get back to us...

Good to see you back bkpool, I noticed you hadn't posted anything for a while. What do you think to this Tory MP who is an alleged rapist? It came out the same week that a former Tory MP was found guilty of sexual assualt (whilst an MP) and a major donor was accussed of it?

It was the week after Johnson gave a peerage to an IRA sympathiser and paedophile apologist.

I know you are concerned about these things, attacks on women and children, as you have said so in the past.

I would like to think I am suprised so many people support a party that puts up with these things - but I'm not. As to whether people support them despite them being a party of corrupt, Russian backed, rapists, paedophile and terrorist apologists who have given millions of £'s of taxpayers money to their friends and backers - or because of it - well....

But but but Labour!  :ohmy:

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 12, 2020, 10:43:15 am by ravenrover »

I would have thought the question regarding the MP should have been what do you reckon to the Chief Whip sitting on the knowledge of the allegations and doing nothing

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 12, 2020, 10:49:44 am by Donnywolf »
.... I would say they think they are "gods" free to do what they want - as indeed they can due to their majority

They will have added it to the Russian Report they kept on the back burner - their stance on Cummings - their stance on Jenrick etc etc. My posts are probably considered repetitive and boring so I will stop there - nd they must be wondering just WHAT will make Joe Public rise in anger against them

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 12, 2020, 04:31:00 pm by wilts rover »

I would have thought the question regarding the MP should have been what do you reckon to the Chief Whip sitting on the knowledge of the allegations and doing nothing

I know bpoolrover is a big supporter and defender of women's rights becuase he started a thread on here saying how outraged he was about how some women in politics had been treated. Which is why I am suprised he has yet to comment on the way this woman - and the other women abused by the other MP and the Tory donor have been let down and abandoned by the Tory Party - whilst they attempted to protect both MP's. Must have been busy....

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 12, 2020, 05:22:45 pm by selby »
IDM, that is whataboutary

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 12, 2020, 08:11:13 pm by bpoolrover »

I know bpoolrover is a big supporter and defender of women's rights becuase he started a thread on here saying how outraged he was about how some women in politics had been treated. Which is why I am suprised he has yet to comment on the way this woman - and the other women abused by the other MP and the Tory donor have been let down and abandoned by the Tory Party - whilst they attempted to protect both MP's. Must have been busy....

thanks wilts, have just took a break really , if the police think there is enough evidence to charge him then he should be immediately be suspended, I’ve not seen the other part of what you posted but if anyone in life is abused and let down and ignored it’s disgusting and the people who did it should be punished and sacked no matter who they are

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 12, 2020, 10:13:22 pm by wilts rover »
Yes good to see you posting bpool. Hope all is well with you and the Mrs.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 12, 2020, 10:24:35 pm by bpoolrover »
Not bad mate thank you same to you, yes working hard and trying get back to some sort of normal

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 13, 2020, 08:40:47 am by IDM »

No I’m sorry, it’s quite the opposite.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 13, 2020, 09:29:22 am by idler »

No I’m sorry, it’s quite the opposite.
Did you mean notaboutary IDM?😉

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 13, 2020, 11:40:57 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

"Stabber Starmer-Clarity" seems a  better name for that one

yes   "Stammerer Starmer"  rolls off the tongue quite nicely ...

but in reality that title fits "Stammerer Johnson" better .... when he hesitates .... and in his mind "thinks of two answers" before making a decision what to say. 

What does take with a pinch of salt mean?
To take something with a "grain of salt" or "pinch of salt" is an English language idiom that means to view something with skepticism or not to interpret something literally.

some people just can't do "detail"

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 14, 2020, 08:34:27 am by drfchound »

"Stabber Starmer-Clarity" seems a  better name for that one

yes   "Stammerer Starmer"  rolls off the tongue quite nicely ...

but in reality that title fits "Stammerer Johnson" better .... when he hesitates .... and in his mind "thinks of two answers" before making a decision what to say. 

What does take with a pinch of salt mean?
To take something with a "grain of salt" or "pinch of salt" is an English language idiom that means to view something with skepticism or not to interpret something literally.

some people just can't do "detail"

Skeptic or sceptic ?
I have noticed some posters using one version, some use the other.
www.grammar.com tells me that skeptic is the generally used version in North America and Canada but the sceptic option should be used in English outside of those regions.
That website advises that if your audience are non Americans then you to use the sceptic version.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 14, 2020, 08:48:39 am by IDM »
“Septics” is slang for Americans too..

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 14, 2020, 07:19:30 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
It's OK, silly selby is here to save the day.

"selby date"  is a far better suggestion    :woohoo:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 29, 2020, 10:14:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 29, 2020, 10:20:29 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
For the avoidance of doubt. I don't think this means Labour has actually pulled level. I suspect this is the Tories somewhere near the bottom of the margin of error, and Labour somewhere near the top. But the big picture is that the gap has closed hugely since Starmer took over. With a vicious recession in the post [1] I don't expect that gap to get bigger anytime soon.

[1] Shouldn't have to say this but y'know...these days. I truly do wish we didn't have a vicious recession on the way. Regardless of what that is likely to mean for support for this Govt.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 29, 2020, 10:58:04 pm by River Don »
The recession will be fairly early in the life of this government and the question is will they get the blame for it?

The government will say it's extraordinary times. They might be able to hide the inevitable turmoil of Brexit within it.

It's what happens on the other side will the recession drag on, will things be improving by the time an election comes around?

It's early days and the future not at all easy to forecast.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 29, 2020, 11:10:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Agreed RD that it's early days in this Parliament. But most Governments lose huge amounts of support during recessions.

Brown's Labour Govt polling figures went from 40% in late 2007 to 25% in late 2008.

The Tories didn't in the 90/91 recession, but that was mainly because they got rid of the massively unpopular Thatcher and repealed the Poll Tax.

The Tories dropped from 40% at the start of the 80/81 recession to 25-30% by mid 81 and stayed there until the Falklands War.

There was only a mild recession in 1975, but Labour's support dropped nearly 10% during it.

So the only one that bucks the trend is the 90/91 case, where the PM was axed. Absolutely no chance of that happening in this one.

The key issue this time will be how the recovery from the upcoming recession is handled. Or whether something utterly unforeseen, like the Falklands War comes along, although I assume not even the most fervent Tory supporter would actively want something like that to be needed to change a Government's fortunes.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 29, 2020, 11:19:47 pm by River Don »
Gordon Brown was never able to refute the accusation that the recession was Labour governments fault. Truth be told, it wasn't but explaining the interconnected nature of the international banking system and how events elsewhere impacted the UK was no easy task.

It's a lot easier to understand that a virus emerging in China isn't the UK governments fault. Still, they aren't making a very good job in handling it. That's got to improve massively if they aren't to be blamed.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on August 29, 2020, 11:52:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Aye, fair points. Plus, Labour are not showing any signs of wanting to play the economic damage fro political gain, unlike Cameron and Osborne's shameless opportunism in 2008-10.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012