Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:56:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 21 penalties in a season  (Read 2525 times)

selby

• VSC Member
21 penalties in a season
« on August 11, 2020, 08:36:17 am by selby »
  Listening to the radio this morning it has been reported that Manure won a game with their 21st penalty of the season.
  Supporting and watching games live at the Rovers for 69 years I don't think I have seen us awarded that many, or not many more in all that time.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
Re: 21 penalties in a season
« Reply #1 on August 11, 2020, 08:56:36 am by Draytonian III »
Perhaps I’m looking through Rovers tinted glasses but I always seem to think we give away more penalties than we get.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 11, 2020, 09:03:58 am by Bentley Bullet »
Perhaps I’m looking through Rovers tinted glasses but I always seem to think we give away more penalties than we get.

I bet we did in the Championship, the officials saw to that.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 11, 2020, 09:42:51 am by Campsall rover »
  Listening to the radio this morning it has been reported that Manure won a game with their 21st penalty of the season.
  Supporting and watching games live at the Rovers for 69 years I don't think I have seen us awarded that many, or not many more in all that time.
We did get 9 penalties Brian, i think i am right in saying it was 2016/17 our League 2 promotion season.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 11, 2020, 09:44:39 am by drfchound »
I reckon we missed five or six of them as well.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 11, 2020, 09:47:12 am by Campsall rover »
I reckon we missed five or six of them as well.
hound i deliberately didn’t mention that.  :crying:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 10:21:21 am by Campsall rover »

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 11, 2020, 10:10:29 am by EasyforDennis »
And I know we didn't get relegated from the Championship based on 1 game. We did get relegated by a bad penalty decision in the last game of the season.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 11, 2020, 12:32:50 pm by idler »
Not to mention the one at Watford.😡

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 11, 2020, 01:11:26 pm by The Beast »
If you’ve got 3 attackers with the mobility of Martial, Rashford and Greenwood you’re going to win penalties, add to that maybe Sancho and they look quite frightening. Not saying the bigger club don’t get the decisions because Man U being the biggest club in the world definitely helps, just like Leeds playing in the Champ will get the decisions, Sunderland in league 1 get the decisions, I also think when we play a non-league side in the cup we get the decisions.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 11, 2020, 01:20:02 pm by EasyforDennis »
If you’ve got 3 attackers with the mobility of Martial, Rashford and Greenwood you’re going to win penalties, add to that maybe Sancho and they look quite frightening. Not saying the bigger club don’t get the decisions because Man U being the biggest club in the world definitely helps, just like Leeds playing in the Champ will get the decisions, Sunderland in league 1 get the decisions, I also think when we play a non-league side in the cup we get the decisions.

You're not suggesting referees favour the bigger teams are you Beast?  :ohmy: :ohmy:

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 11, 2020, 01:21:47 pm by Dutch Uncle »
My Rovers data on missed penalties only goes back to 2008-09, but this is what I have for league games:

DRFC        Oppo   
         Sc   Miss   Sc  Missed
2008-09   4   1   3   1
2009-10   4   2   3   1
2010-11   4   0   3   1
2011-12   4   1   7   0
2012-13   3   0   2   1
2013-14   3   0   6   1
2014-15   6   1   3   1
2015-16   4   2   0   1
2016-17   6   6   5   3
2017-18   5   0   2   2
2018-19   3   0   2   0
2019-20   1   0   3   1
          47    13    39    13

So over this time we have been awarded 60 penalties as opposed to the 52 conceded.

2016-17 stands out for high numbers on both sides (12 won, 8 conceded) and the 6 missed.

Last season we only had one penalty awarded, but since it was a late winner against Rotherham it is worth about 5  :lol:

Prior to that I only have data on penalties actually scored by Rovers. The highest scored in the league is 9 in 1989-90 (Les Robinson 6, Vince Brockie 3) and Joe Laidlaw scored 8 in 1977-78. Overall 2005-06 was the highest season with 12 penalties scored in all competitions (8 in the League), and being scored by McIndoe 10, Coppinger and McCormack.

In 4 seasons, as far as I can see, we did not score a single penalty - 1901-02, 1947-48, 1974-75 and 1987-88. I don't know how many were missed in those seasons. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 01:25:21 pm by Dutch Uncle »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 11, 2020, 02:21:14 pm by roversdude »
Did we get extra for Martin Woods orbit effort at St James

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 11, 2020, 03:16:31 pm by NickDRFC »
Thanks for that Dutch Uncle, I didn’t think some of the claims in this thread were backed up by any evidence so that’s useful to clarify. Would be interesting to see the stats for other teams, though, as a comparison.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 11, 2020, 03:48:28 pm by The Beast »

You're not suggesting referees favour the bigger teams are you Beast?  :ohmy: :ohmy:
Just a little, when we were in the Championship we got nothing, in League one I’d say we get as many decisions as we lose, not saying every ref suffers from this affliction but there are enough for it to make a small difference. It’s like Leeds this season being one of the biggest clubs in the  Championship, I’ve no doubt they’ve had their fair share of decisions, next season they’ll be a relatively small club by premiership standards, so I’ve no doubt they’ll be the wrong side of a few dubious ones.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 11, 2020, 04:03:56 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Thanks for that Dutch Uncle, I didn’t think some of the claims in this thread were backed up by any evidence so that’s useful to clarify. Would be interesting to see the stats for other teams, though, as a comparison.

We did give away more penalties than we got in the two relegation seasons in the Championship, and a few of the conceded ones were dodgy, to put it mildly.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 11, 2020, 04:06:05 pm by Chris Black come back »
Our keepers in 2011/12 had an absolute shocker.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 11, 2020, 04:16:38 pm by NickDRFC »

We did give away more penalties than we got in the two relegation seasons in the Championship, and a few of the conceded ones were dodgy, to put it mildly.

We did, but it’s the natural/logical outcome given we spent an awful lot more time in our penalty area than we did the oppositions during both of those seasons. You’ll always get some dodgy decisions and I agree we did have some but I don’t believe anything untoward was happening, and the statistics seem to back that up.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 11, 2020, 04:33:52 pm by Bentley Bullet »
On at least two occasions we weren't even in our penalty area!

colfromdonny

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 11, 2020, 08:28:16 pm by colfromdonny »
Another reason why I hate the premiership, his legs just crumbled last night when he was touched on the shoulder and , apparently, he had every right to go down :crying: :crying: :turd:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 07:30:02 pm by colfromdonny »

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 14, 2020, 02:35:54 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Another reason why I hate the premiership, his legs just crumbled last night when he was touched on the shoulder and , apparently, he had every right to g :crying: :crying: :turd:o down

i dont know how old you are ....   but we had  a bloke almost 50 years ahead of his time

In the 1971–72 season, Lee set a British record for the number of penalties scored in a season, with 15 of his 35 goals scored from the penalty spot. Many of the penalties resulted from fouls on Lee, earning him the nickname Lee One Pen. Some journalists, holding the opinion that Lee gained a number of penalties by diving, used the name Lee Won Pen instead.[4] Lee's name is often cited in debates about diving in football; referees' chief Keith Hackett described him as a player who "had a reputation of falling down easily".[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Lee#:~:text=In%20the%201971%E2%80%9372%20season,the%20nickname%20Lee%20One%20Pen.

colfromdonny

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 14, 2020, 07:34:21 pm by colfromdonny »
I was 10 in '71, and recently have been watching  'The Big Match' on saturday mornings, it looks like players had to be pole axed to go down, the number of players who shrugged off challenges and fought to get the ball and play on was good to see.  I saw Sean O'Driscoll playing for Fulham and was quite impressed.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 17, 2020, 07:14:40 am by Donnywolf »

The Ref didnt favour the big Team at Chorley when Herbie Kane was almost snapped in 2 by their bloke

True the Ref did the right thing sending him off but then "lost his way" and awarded just a free kick rather than a Penalty which of course it should have been

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 17, 2020, 09:09:08 am by Colemans Left Hook »
 I have been trying to think how we can blame Johnson for this "unacceptable" situation he was after all to blame for Liverpools exit against A Madrid for allowing the match to take place

Then i thought stabber Starmer aka "Starmer-Clarity" would yet again in "parrot like fashion " demand clarity

One of his aides "allegedly" suggested a "P factor"  where the running amount of penalties is divided by the total amount of
matches played by any team if the P factor is greater than one the spread of the penalty virus is contagious and the team should self isolate

Yes i agree 21 now 22 makes a good headline but Colemans first law of football states the more games you play on the balance of probabilities the more penalties you will be given and also given away.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 17, 2020, 10:07:58 am by idler »
Didn't Southampton get a penalty at Old Trafford in the FA Cup one year and it was the first awarded to an away team there in months. They missed it as well.
I rember once Leeds getting one there and Bartez was prattling about pretending to kick the posts to clean his boots. He then stood leaning on a post before being booked. I would have let them take the penalty while he wasn't ready and given the goal. I hate gamesmanship.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 17, 2020, 10:26:59 am by Donnywolf »
Yes - they didnt seem to get awards against them at OT

Was there something with Blackburn one Season where (I am guessing Henning Berg) was felled for a stonewall Penalty which was not given

Then I think he went to Man U and got a Penalty (maybe not against Blackburn) in a similar spot for a "supposed" foul

My memory as usual may be s**t lol

TinyPortal © 2005-2012