Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:35:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Covid19 Fit  (Read 3740 times)

River Don

• Forum Member
Re: Covid19 Fit
« Reply #30 on August 21, 2020, 02:22:36 pm by River Don »
You're just a yound lad then Raven.

Me Mam is 80 at Christmas.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on August 21, 2020, 03:46:57 pm by idler »
50 press ups at a time is going some. I used to do 100 without a break when I was 25, but these days I'm struggling to hit 40. I do 100 over 5 mins most days in batches of 5-10 at a time with a few seconds gap.

I took part in (read: "failed spectacularly") a 1000 press ups in an hour effort for charity earlier this summer with some ex- US forces guys. One ex-SEAL did the 1000 in just over 45 minutes, including one run of 333 without a break. Just superhuman!
The most that I ever managed was 135 straight off. I decided then rather than go for personal bests to do batches of 100 but a bit slower and better technique. The problem is as you age you are less flexible and arthritis starts to kick in as well.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 21, 2020, 04:15:42 pm by scawsby steve »

I'm not making this a p*ssing contest RD, but my Dad will be 96 in January.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on August 21, 2020, 04:31:19 pm by Bentley Bullet »

I wonder if he was in the same class as Wolfie?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on August 21, 2020, 04:41:57 pm by scawsby steve »

Yes, and so was Methuselah.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on August 21, 2020, 04:43:03 pm by idler »

Was Wolfie a teacher at the time?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on August 21, 2020, 04:44:44 pm by scawsby steve »

Was Wolfie a teacher at the time?

Yes, but he was ready for retiring.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on August 21, 2020, 05:26:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Big wow! My grandad would have been 108 in November. Except he died in 1998.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on August 21, 2020, 07:59:44 pm by Filo »

Big wow! My grandad would have been 108 in November. Except he died in 1998.

Thats nothing my Grandad would have been 110 now, except he died in 1963

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 21, 2020, 08:04:15 pm by scawsby steve »
Wolfie's still alive though.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on August 21, 2020, 09:03:13 pm by Janso »
They say he changed God's nappy when he was a lad.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on August 23, 2020, 11:54:15 am by ravenrover »

Is she on the 5-2 diet as well😅

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on August 23, 2020, 05:00:13 pm by River Don »

Is she on the 5-2 diet as well😅

Nah, I posted further back in this thread, she hasn't been eating during the day and skipping lunch.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on August 23, 2020, 07:40:05 pm by Janso »
No wonder she's losing weight if she's skipping.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on August 24, 2020, 06:04:55 pm by i_ateallthepies »
It helped me not being at home. No distractions and I used to ring the wife and kids when the other lads were having their puddings.
It is surprising how quickly you can increase reps as well.
I can still manage 50 press ups in a morning at even 71. Not comfortably any more though. I also used to do them on my knuckles rather than my fingers as well as it makes you work harder. Alan Rushby used to have us doing that at karate class in the 70s.

Crikey, Idler, as soon as I read the knuckle press-ups I was reminded of doing them in the Karate training in Alan Rushby classes.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on August 24, 2020, 08:05:58 pm by idler »
I had to pack in in 1971 as I went to work at  Rockware on continental shifts and loads of overtime. It was a shame as karate and football training really got me fitter. I used to enjoy the sessions at Spinney Farm, I think that's what the Peglers sports ground was called.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on August 24, 2020, 08:27:17 pm by Filo »
I had to pack in in 1971 as I went to work at  Rockware on continental shifts and loads of overtime. It was a shame as karate and football training really got me fitter. I used to enjoy the sessions at Spinney Farm, I think that's what the Peglers sports ground was called.

My father in law ended up a supervisor at Rockware, he’s retired now and 83 years old

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on August 24, 2020, 08:34:43 pm by idler »
I was there 71-74 so would probably know him even if only by sight. I was on B crew but did loads of overtime on other crews.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on August 24, 2020, 09:16:36 pm by drfchound »
I was there 71-74 so would probably know him even if only by sight. I was on B crew but did loads of overtime on other crews.

That doesn't fit well with your screen name then mate.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on August 24, 2020, 10:59:16 pm by idler »
I'm Idler now than I've ever been hound. 😉
I even went to a do at the Idle working Mens Club last year.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on November 09, 2020, 12:28:36 am by River Don »
Press Ups.

I was in very poor shape. 5 full press ups was a struggle, I'm ashamed to say. However there are ways of building it up. Press ups on an incline against a chair or half press ups from the knees. Still, I did struggle at first, I wasn't making much progress.

Then I read about a way to improve things. Instead of setting a daily target of say 30, do only as many as you can before fatigue sets in. Take a break, 10 seconds follows 5 reps, assuming it takes a couple of seconds to do a press-up. Then repeat and repeat. Note how many you achieve. Next day have a break to allow the muscle to recover. The following day go again but try and add at least one more to the routine. As the days pass it's surprising how often it's possible.

But things changed, I read about Mathew McConaughey. He's a very fit bloke but when he's not in training for a movie, one of the ways he stays in shape is to constantly do push ups throughout the day. Basically, whenever he has a few minutes to spare he gets down and does 20 push ups. This way he's doing hundreds of push ups a day.

I can't do 20 press ups in one hit but I can do 12. So I've been doing that for a couple of weeks now, though I don't do it every day, remembering you need to give the muscles a day to rest. So now I'm doing 120 press ups every other day in ten sets of a dozen.. Get up, press ups, shower, press ups, breakfast, press ups. I quite like this system and I'm sure I'm getting stronger more quickly but it's not like working to fatigue and taking notes to measure progress.

Something else makes it difficult to measure progress. I've discovered that the most effective way of doing press ups is slowly. So now I'm slowing the movement down pausing a second or two at the bottom before pushing up hard and fast. These controlled press ups are more demanding, I know I'm improving but I can't say how much. I should probably try and test myself by doing the three sets to fatigue occasionally.

And press ups aren't just press ups. You can do them with your hands close together to work the triceps more, on an incline to work the shoulders more, with your arms wider apart to work the chest more. There are loads of techniques, so I try to vary it. I would never have guessed there was so much involved in just doing press ups.

Anyway, I'm getting stronger and I feel I'm making continued progress, I'd recommend it to anyone. Expect the first two or three weeks to be tough but it will get easier. Then it becomes a constant challenge to improve.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on November 09, 2020, 07:58:07 am by SydneyRover »
Good effort RD keep it up.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on November 09, 2020, 09:20:10 am by idler »
I used to do similar in the late 70s early 80s when I was contracting away from home RiverDon. It's surprising how quickly that you build your reps up. I used to also do sit ups as well but my only days off were Saturday and Sunday.
Maybe you could try sit ups on alternate days so resting arms and chest but still exercising. I was up to 500-600 press ups and sit ups a day until I was based at home again rather than in digs. Keep up the good work, it will be well worth it and also try doing the press ups on your knuckles which makes it harder as you don't get the the spring that you do from your hands and fingers.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on November 09, 2020, 10:02:29 am by River Don »
Idler, you've read my mind. I've just begun doing sit ups and crunches on the off days, I was going to see how it progressed before posting about it.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on November 09, 2020, 01:28:17 pm by idler »
I just wish that I could do as many these days. I really miss the gym as I had just got back to somewhere near. I was finishing on the rower and doing about 4.6k in 22 minutes and gradually improving again.
The long lay off from March really got to me when gyms reopened. When I was younger getting back into the swing was fairly easy. It took me a month this time. Hopefully back in December.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on November 09, 2020, 01:43:03 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Good going RD. Like I said earlier in the year, press ups are genuinely life transforming.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on November 09, 2020, 02:14:44 pm by River Don »
It was going to be swimming but no sooner had the leisure centre opened than it was closing again.

I'm keeping going with cycling but I don't go out on a dark wet morning in the rain or fog. So an alternative exercise was needed somewhat reluctantly I turned to pressups but I'm glad I did now.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on November 10, 2020, 12:06:56 am by RobTheRover »
I was 50 during the first lockdown and lack of exercise and a "sod it" diet had meant the pounds had piled on. I topped the scales at 19st 9lbs.

At the end of July I decided to go on a diet. After much research and talking to a mate who had been doing it for 2 years I decided on the low carb keto diet.

I've lost 3st so far. No exercise as such other then walking the dog. I've gone from 3 meals a day plus snack to one meal a day (1500 cals) and I fast for around 22 hours between meals.  I'm just never hungry.

Interesting side effects too. Positive ones. My skin is in great condition. I'm sleeping better. I have loads of energy and mental clarity. I don't feel tired or flagging in the afternoons like I did before. Still got around a stone and a half to go to get to my fighting weight.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on November 10, 2020, 07:35:10 am by SydneyRover »
that's quite impressive, I worked with a guy years ago that lost weight just by stopping having butter on his sarnies. I have done the same since and have only put weight on recently during lockdown and being stuck on the couch.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on November 10, 2020, 08:45:21 am by River Don »
This is typical and the timing is impeccable. I've woken up this morning with quite a nasty strain in my left arm...

Doh!

It seems doing shit loads of press ups doesn't come without risk. It really hurts. It looks like I'll be layng off the press ups for a week or two at least now.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012