Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:10:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sheaf Replacement..  (Read 5358 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Sheaf Replacement..
« on August 27, 2020, 12:50:51 pm by GazLaz »
Sheaf ended up being a very influential player for us last season. The stats show his output in protecting the back four was one of the best in the division. This allowed us to see the best of Ben Whiteman in a slightly more advanced role. Do we have a player currently who can fill this void? Personally I think either bringing him back, which is very unlikely, or finding an adequate replacement is priority.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Sheaf Replacement..
« Reply #1 on August 27, 2020, 01:03:09 pm by Campsall rover »
Sheaf ended up being a very influential player for us last season. The stats show his output in protecting the back four was one of the best in the division. This allowed us to see the best of Ben Whiteman in a slightly more advanced role. Do we have a player currently who can fill this void? Personally I think either bringing him back, which is very unlikely, or finding an adequate replacement is priority.
Do you know that Williams is not the man to fill that void. Just asking as I don’t know what midfield role DM has in mind for him. I think he could be exactly what we need for that position. We will have to see.

Now have Whiteman, Williams, Gomes, Coppinger,Richards, Hasani, Greaves for the 3 in the middle. Taylor, and Lokilo for the wide positions. Okinaneberie up front. So that’s where we need a couple of bodies and also a centre back who can play right back.

Jigsaw then completed imo.

Ideally we could do with a couple more as well but in the current climate i think that’s going to be impossible.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 01:09:08 pm by Campsall rover »

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 27, 2020, 01:10:54 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I think DM is expecting Gomes to step up this season

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 27, 2020, 01:15:44 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Sheaf was good though I thought we played more of a 2 holding in midfield.  I'd prefer us to go with 1 in there (Whiteman) as Grant Mccann did.  That would leave a couple in front of him (Coppinger, Gomes and the 2 new lads) plus a few youngsters.

Priority has to be another winger, striker and centre half for me.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 27, 2020, 01:17:51 pm by bpoolrover »
Do you know that Williams is not the man to fill that void. Just asking as I don’t know what midfield role DM has in mind for him. I think he could be exactly what we need for that position. We will have to see.

Now have Whiteman, Williams, Gomes, Coppinger,Richards, Hasani, Greaves for the 3 in the middle. Taylor, and Lokilo for the wide positions. Okinaneberie up front. So that’s where we need a couple of bodies and also a centre back who can play right back.

Ideally we could do with a couple more as well but in the current climate i think that’s going to be impossible.

is Williams not a attacking midfielder? Yes you could play him there but surley it would be better getting someone more defensive minded?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 27, 2020, 01:18:10 pm by Chris Black come back »
Coventry seem really serious about him still so I imagine that probably answers the question here.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 27, 2020, 01:18:15 pm by Campsall rover »
Seriously if we had Marquis and Sadlier with that lot we would be a serios outfit in this league. Definite contenders for top 3/4 no question.

Any way dream on. We don’t. So let’s see who DM can pull out of the genie bag and turn us into serious dark horses.

We will on paper always be behind, Sunderland, Portsmouth & Ipswich, but football isn’t played on paper.
Wycombe Wanderers got promoted last season and i would have only swapped 2/3 of their players for ours.

We can seriously achieve this season, no guarantee we will but with the right attitude on the training ground and dressing room, a fantastic team ethic, spirit, togetherness, anything can be achieved.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 06:21:21 pm by Campsall rover »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 27, 2020, 01:19:24 pm by GazLaz »

Gomes and Williams are nothing like Sheaf in their of style of play.

It’s looking like if (and it’s a big IF) Whiteman stays, he will revert back into the out and out holding role with Gomes and/or Williams along side him. I’m not sure that’s the best way to deploy him personally.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 27, 2020, 01:20:12 pm by Campsall rover »

is Williams not a attacking midfielder? Yes you could play him there but surley it would be better getting someone more defensive minded?
I don’t know Blackpool Rover, i was asking the question as know little about him.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 27, 2020, 01:21:18 pm by RoversAlias »
I completely agree Gaz, and I do think Darren will have a central midfielder right at the top of his priority list because the Whiteman/Sheaf combo was the impetus for the entire team last year.

Gomes cannot do what Sheaf did, I expect his future lies further forward. A replacement for Sheaf and for Sadlier have to be the main aims now, along with cover up front and in the back line.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 27, 2020, 01:23:50 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Generally agree with that and no doubt in my mind Sheaf is a very good player and for the most part he and Whiteman complimented each other and both were capable of moving up and down the pitch. Sheaf was probably unlucky not to bag more than his two goals.

Good midfield players can adapt and it's more about the sum of the parts than the individuals. I see no reason Ed Williams can't do the same and I'm sure that will have been a major factor in DM signing him.

Would also agree that Gomes should have a big part to play if he can address a little inconsistency.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 27, 2020, 01:24:17 pm by GazLaz »
I completely agree Gaz, and I do think Darren will have a central midfielder right at the top of his priority list because the Whiteman/Sheaf combo was the impetus for the entire team last year.

Gomes cannot do what Sheaf did, I expect his future lies further forward. A replacement for Sheaf and for Sadlier have to be the main aims now, along with cover up front and in the back line.

I think Lokilo will prove a more than adequate replacement for Sadlier.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 27, 2020, 01:24:59 pm by Campsall rover »

It’s looking like if (and it’s a big IF) Whiteman stays, he will revert back into the out and out holding role with Gomes and/or Williams along side him. I’m not sure that’s the best way to deploy him personally.
So again you know more than DM about the formation best suited to our players.
Crikey have you seen Williams play? Have you seen Richards play?
Do you think DM does not know what he is doing?
Serious question. Yes or no answer. Don’t give me a politicians answer, thankyou.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 01:28:41 pm by Campsall rover »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 27, 2020, 01:26:38 pm by GazLaz »

Generally agree with that and no doubt in my mind Sheaf is a very good player and for the most part he and Whiteman complimented each other and both were capable of moving up and down the pitch. Sheaf was probably unlucky not to bag more than his two goals.

Good midfield players can adapt and it's more about the sum of the parts than the individuals. I see no reason Ed Williams can't do the same and I'm sure that will have been a major factor in DM signing him.

Would also agree that Gomes should have a big part to play if he can address a little inconsistency.

Williams is more of a converted wide man. Sheaf was a converted centre half. Can’t get any more different I don’t think. I’m not a fan of Gomes although there were tiny glimpses of ability at times last season. Definitely an area of concern I think.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 27, 2020, 01:27:19 pm by DonnyOsmond »

He's probably basing that on how we played last season. In which we'll need to bring in a DM still. James Garner would be a good shout.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 27, 2020, 01:36:05 pm by steve@dcfd »
Williams is an attacking midfield player we now have five players who can play that role one mor and a striker come October would be ideal. The striker. Is priority in those positions.

We have Whiteman and Gomes for the middle two back up by Hasani  and Greaves. We need another player like Sheaf or Better to add to that role before the season starts. Minimum at the back is another central defender which may be AB or another experienced player.

Also a keeper to make 3

DM says we haven’t done enough recruitment yet and his aim is to get those players hopefully before the season starts. So he believes we need more players not just some posters on here.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 01:39:02 pm by steve@dcfd »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 27, 2020, 01:38:16 pm by GazLaz »
Hi Campsall,

I’ve been quite busy so only managed to watch about three hours of him and the majority of his game involvements from last season on InStat. Hope that’s enough to be allowed to have an opinion.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 27, 2020, 01:40:47 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Definitely a danger in labelling players without giving them the chance to show their full versatility. Modern good football demands good movement and flexibility.

Players don't have to be a carbon copy of their previous encumbent but the objective is the same in moving the ball from back to front as efficiently as possible, and being able to defend without the ball.

If we see the same style as last season then I'm more than happy. Time will tell how well we execute it.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 27, 2020, 01:41:49 pm by drfchound »

Serious question. Yes or no answer. Don’t give me a politicians answer, thankyou.

I doubt whether any of us have seen those two play.
Gaz is just making his observation on how he sees things.
I don’t think for one minute he is suggesting that he knows more than DM.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 27, 2020, 01:42:05 pm by Alan Southstand »
Ed. Williams is an attacking midfielder. We now have 5 for the front 3, if that’s what DM goes with. For the 1 up top, we only have 1, so that needs addressing.

For defensive midfield, we have the captain with only Gomes, Greaves and Hasani for one place. Gomes possibly not an out and out defensive midfielder, but could fill in until we acquire one.

We still have AB training, so that maybe the option for cover at cb.

DM has already intimated that we have 2 loans still working with their Clubs - they could be striker and dm and that would almost complete the picture (just a third keeper to add, later).

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 27, 2020, 01:49:07 pm by GazLaz »
A big part of my point is the fact that Whiteman may be asked to carry out a more reserved role, he can do that job well but he was exceptional last season with a little bit more license to play further forward. If his numbers don’t match up to last season in this potential adapted role it could affect his value when he does inevitably leave. I’d like to think a Sheaf “like for like” is in the pipeline. It’s definitely the most sensible thing to do.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 27, 2020, 01:54:31 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Ed. Williams is an attacking midfielder. We now have 5 for the front 3, if that’s what DM goes with. For the 1 up top, we only have 1, so that needs addressing.

For defensive midfield, we have the captain with only Gomes, Greaves and Hasani for one place. Gomes possibly not an out and out defensive midfielder, but could fill in until we acquire one.

We still have AB training, so that maybe the option for cover at cb.

DM has already intimated that we have 2 loans still working with their Clubs - they could be striker and dm and that would almost complete the picture (just a third keeper to add, later).

All I'm saying is we all thought Ben Whiteman was an attacking midfielder when he first came but he was able to adapt and do both very well. So, he was a good midfielder, so was Sheaf and so can Gomes, Williams etc.

More importantly, it will give DM options.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 27, 2020, 01:56:56 pm by Campsall rover »
A big part of my point is the fact that Whiteman may be asked to carry out a more reserved role, he can do that job well but he was exceptional last season with a little bit more license to play further forward. If his numbers don’t match up to last season in this potential adapted role it could affect his value when he does inevitably leave. I’d like to think a Sheaf “like for like” is in the pipeline. It’s definitely the most sensible thing to do.
Agree with that totally. Maybe DM has earmarked Williams for that role though. I don’t know.
But can we afford any more midfielders. We need 2 forwards one central and one who can play central and wide preferably. Also cover at centre back and right back.
How many more will DM be able to sign with the budget he has?

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 27, 2020, 01:59:02 pm by VivaRovers »

Campsall, why the need to be so confrontational? Different people have different opinions; it doesn't need escalating, or polarising into a right/wrong positive/negative argument so often.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 27, 2020, 02:02:03 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Isn't Richards earmarked for the Ramsey role, attacking late arrive in the box etc.?

Anyway, glad we are talking proper football again. It just shows we are all intruiged to see how things develop.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 27, 2020, 02:04:06 pm by Alan Southstand »
DBR, when Ben first came to us he told us he was more of a box to box midfielder, so he has adapted.

I don’t see Williams adapting to dm, when he’s already flexible as to where he plays in that 3. To me, the next priority is a partner for Ben (as we already knew DM has another attacking loan player waiting to be released from his parent Club).

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 27, 2020, 02:05:07 pm by Campsall rover »
Hi Campsall,

I’ve been quite busy so only managed to watch about three hours of him and the majority of his game involvements from last season on InStat. Hope that’s enough to be allowed to have an opinion.
Of course you can have an opinion. You are just coming across with your tone as if you are not happy with the players DM has recruited for certain roles with the team. I am just saying i am sure DM knows far more about what he is doing than either you or i. That’s all. If I have interpreted you incorrectly, apologies.
No offence intended.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 02:07:28 pm by Campsall rover »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 27, 2020, 02:05:23 pm by GazLaz »

Campsall, why the need to be so confrontational? Different people have different opinions; it doesn't need escalating, or polarising into a right/wrong positive/negative argument so often.

And regarding Campsalls original point, it is actually possible that a fan can know more about the ability of some players and the best way to deploy them than a manager.

I’ll give you a basic example. The diamond under Ferguson. Most people knew it was wrong and results reflected that. He then went to Posh and played a diamond, results were again poor. He changed to three at the back and they improved instantly. He was wrong about the diamond all along and everyone but him knew it.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 27, 2020, 02:26:29 pm by Campsall rover »

And regarding Campsalls original point, it is actually possible that a fan can know more about the ability of some players and the best way to deploy them than a manager.

I’ll give you a basic example. The diamond under Ferguson. Most people knew it was wrong and results reflected that. He then went to Posh and played a diamond, results were again poor. He changed to three at the back and they improved instantly. He was wrong about the diamond all along and everyone but him knew it.
Can’t argue with that GazLaz.  DF is a very stubborn man which will once again lead to his downfall. The 3 at the back didn’t get them promoted either. Conceded too many goals last season. Our defence was much superior to Peterborough’s. The no of goals conceded proves that conclusively.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 06:23:08 pm by Campsall rover »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 27, 2020, 02:35:02 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
DBR, when Ben first came to us he told us he was more of a box to box midfielder, so he has adapted.

I don’t see Williams adapting to dm, when he’s already flexible as to where he plays in that 3. To me, the next priority is a partner for Ben (as we already knew DM has another attacking loan player waiting to be released from his parent Club).

Bloody ell! There must be more ink left in the pen then!

We'll have an embarrassment of riches before long!

Seriously though from the latest DFP article, sounds like DM definitely knows who he wants.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012