Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:30:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Hybrid cars  (Read 9201 times)

adamtherover

• Forum Member
Re: Hybrid cars
« Reply #90 on October 06, 2020, 06:00:23 pm by adamtherover »
What car did a proper test with a 5 Yr old prius versus a 25 Yr old merc diesel taxi in Mumbai to decide which would cause the most enviromental damage. And the overriding conclusion was that you would need many prius's, each having huge resource used to build it to match the simple one off build of the merc. Lithium ion mining for the batteries isn't great. 
We need something to replace fossil fuels, no one is arguing with that, but expensive limited life, short range, battery cars right now isn't the solution for 27 million UK motorists..

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on October 06, 2020, 10:09:19 pm by albie »
One or two well oiled myths from the legacy car industry interests doing the rounds, here is the summary of the position;
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51977625
The most important point is the quote from Professor Marsden.

On the issue of lithium, the new generation of batteries use a different chemistry, looking to avoid rare earth elements and lithium. Replacement of these components with cheaper alternatives is the best way to reduce costs, and so purchase price.

Tesla claimed last week to have manufactured cells using the new chemistry...the other makers will do the same in quick time.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on October 06, 2020, 10:32:17 pm by SydneyRover »
Thanks Albie yes there is quite a bit of undermining going on. One of the problems that electric cars won't solve of course is congestion on the roads the only answer to that is community based living, shopping and working. Covid may provide the push towards this.

Japan does not have much roadside parking if any, when you think about it you pay for the privilege of owning a big lump of metal and plastic and glass that sits around taking up space for most of it's life either in a garage or on the street. Streets could be up to two lanes narrower where parking is allowed. That area that still has to be bitumen it could be park/grass.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on October 07, 2020, 12:05:14 pm by Axholme Lion »
Thanks Albie yes there is quite a bit of undermining going on. One of the problems that electric cars won't solve of course is congestion on the roads the only answer to that is community based living, shopping and working. Covid may provide the push towards this.

Japan does not have much roadside parking if any, when you think about it you pay for the privilege of owning a big lump of metal and plastic and glass that sits around taking up space for most of it's life either in a garage or on the street. Streets could be up to two lanes narrower where parking is allowed. That area that still has to be bitumen it could be park/grass.

I'm all for more trees and grass but most councils prefer to build houses on it. Doncaster council have done an excellent job on destroying Auckleyand it's surroundings.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on October 07, 2020, 09:56:40 pm by SydneyRover »
The only thing I could suggest would be to get involved with the council and lobby councillors for what you want them to vote for ..... or not.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on October 08, 2020, 01:13:01 pm by Axholme Lion »
The only thing I could suggest would be to get involved with the council and lobby councillors for what you want them to vote for ..... or not.

It would be a waste of time as they have all bought into the housing shortage myth.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on October 08, 2020, 05:57:30 pm by albie »
Leasing is probably the way to go for many with an EV;
https://www.newbusiness.co.uk/articles/vehicles/electric-vehicle-leasing-booms-91-government-incentives-saves-drivers-thousands-ye

Purchase prices will fall quite quickly in the next couple of years, so it might be better to hold on buying until then.

As an EV is 10x cheaper to run than a fossil fuel vehicle, the same economies apply to the electric bus.
If fuel costs are a high percentage of fare charges, then the cost of using public transport should reduce as well.

Some will think using the bus is a better option for them, if fares fall once the electric bus is the norm.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on October 12, 2020, 04:04:39 pm by Axholme Lion »
https://www.newbusiness.co.uk/articles/vehicles/electric-vehicle-leasing-booms-91-government-incentives-saves-drivers-thousands-ye

Purchase prices will fall quite quickly in the next couple of years, so it might be better to hold on buying until then.

As an EV is 10x cheaper to run than a fossil fuel vehicle, the same economies apply to the electric bus.
If fuel costs are a high percentage of fare charges, then the cost of using public transport should reduce as well.

Some will think using the bus is a better option for them, if fares fall once the electric bus is the norm.

What's a bus? I know we have a bus stop in West Butterwick but I've never actually seen a bus. Public transport is non existant out here.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on December 21, 2021, 09:29:23 am by Campsall rover »
You don't want a VW with a DSG gearbox. If that breaks so will your piggy bank.
Or an Audi

Yes happened to my my wife’s A3 with only 43,000 miles on the clock a year ago last June.
Very expensive.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on December 21, 2021, 05:14:09 pm by drfchound »

What's a bus? I know we have a bus stop in West Butterwick but I've never actually seen a bus. Public transport is non existant out here.

I was speaking with a friend a couple of days ago who had his driving licence temporarily revoked following a bad head injury he had at work a year ago.
His girlfriend lives in Castleford and he lives in Hatfield.
The car journey used to take 25 to 35 minutes, depending on the time of day.
He has to now travel by bus and together with the travel and change busses it now takes him over four hours.
No wonder people want to keep using their cars.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on December 21, 2021, 05:45:42 pm by selby »
  We all have more chance of seeing rocking horse s**t than private cars being banned from ownership.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on December 22, 2021, 11:34:30 am by Axholme Lion »
  We all have more chance of seeing rocking horse s**t than private cars being banned from ownership.

As long as the Greens or Liberals don't win a GE!

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on December 22, 2021, 03:44:07 pm by sha66y »
Is “ half man half biscuit” a hybrid band ?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on December 22, 2021, 04:05:09 pm by selby »
  Hydrogen will be the fuel of the future, one of the big car manufacturers will go along with it and the rest will follow especially in the far East Asian countries.
  The Aircraft Industry could lead the way on it as a  fuel, the UK government being one of the biggest investors in it.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on December 23, 2021, 07:56:35 am by Axholme Lion »
  Hydrogen will be the fuel of the future, one of the big car manufacturers will go along with it and the rest will follow especially in the far East Asian countries.
  The Aircraft Industry could lead the way on it as a  fuel, the UK government being one of the biggest investors in it.

None of the Japanese car manufacturers are going full on electric, i reckon they will perfect hydrogen and render EVs obsolete very quickly.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on December 23, 2021, 10:08:19 pm by River Don »

None of the Japanese car manufacturers are going full on electric, i reckon they will perfect hydrogen and render EVs obsolete very quickly.

Toyota have made big investments in electric technology but so far have erred on the side of hybrids. Nissan are electric pioneers, particularly with the Leaf.

The new Hyundai all electric cars look impressive but like all these electric cars, it's a case of are they going to be worth it in the long run?... Hyundai are Korean though.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on December 23, 2021, 10:10:22 pm by SydneyRover »
Japan has no natural resources to speak of therefore they will transition to renewables as fast as they can.

''Japan's Subaru unveils first all-electric car, developed with Toyota

TOKYO, Nov 11 (Reuters) - Japan's Subaru Corp (7270.T) on Thursday unveiled its first all-electric vehicle (EV), the Solterra, the result of a two-year joint development project with its biggest shareholder, Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T).

The sports utility vehicle (SUV) launch comes amid accelerating demand for EVs as nations around the world tighten environmental regulation to cut carbon emissions. Toyota last month announced its version of a battery electric vehicle (BEV), the bZ4X''

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/japans-subaru-unveils-first-all-electric-car-developed-with-toyota-2021-11-11/

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on December 24, 2021, 12:04:21 pm by selby »
Just read a report on a three year old Tesla car owner who has had to replace the battery units, and was hit with a £17,000 bill for his trouble.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on December 24, 2021, 12:34:50 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I had an absolute dogshit BMW 5 series. In the space of 12 months, the turbo blew, the manifold cracked then a big end disintegrated and I had to replace the engine.

Cost me over £10,000 in a year. I'm still waiting for the Mail to contact me to run a story.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on December 24, 2021, 01:31:27 pm by River Don »
Just read a report on a three year old Tesla car owner who has had to replace the battery units, and was hit with a £17,000 bill for his trouble.

There was a story about a bloke in Finland who had to replace the batteries on his Tesla. They quoted him £16,000. So, he had it blown up and filmed it to put online.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/explosion-of-fury-from-tesla-driver-angry-with-repair-bill-76mhn9snt

I'm hanging on as long as I can before making the switch to electric. I'm not convinced the battery technology is up to scratch yet.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 01:35:10 pm by River Don »

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on December 24, 2021, 02:57:13 pm by Batleyred »
Just buy a v8 605 bhp motor like me. Sod going green just yet  :boxing:  :chair:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on December 24, 2021, 09:59:27 pm by drfchound »
I had an absolute dogshit BMW 5 series. In the space of 12 months, the turbo blew, the manifold cracked then a big end disintegrated and I had to replace the engine.

Cost me over £10,000 in a year. I'm still waiting for the Mail to contact me to run a story.

Obviously outside the three years old warranty then.  :chair:

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on December 24, 2021, 10:37:13 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I know a bloke who worked for BMW. He left because he thought his role had no purpose and he wanted to do something worthwhile, something that would actually be of use.

He realised there was more to life than installing indicators on BMW's.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on December 24, 2021, 11:27:23 pm by Campsall rover »
One of my biggest bug bears that. Why can’t people use indicators?
Does it take a physical effort, no it’s just bone idleness and selfish. No thought for anyone else.

What is the problem with people. We are not all psychic.
Do 50% of cars not have indicators or something these days!!!

Oh and litter louts. Absolutely drives me potty seeing our streets covered in litter and as for those that litter the countryside, throwing rubbish out of the car window. Don’t get me started.

I seriously do not know what has happened to standards in this country.
Basic right and wrong. Education starts in the home and it seems it is a rare commodity these days.
Yes i know I have started a completely new thread.

thumper

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on December 24, 2021, 11:29:11 pm by thumper »
We've had a self charging Kia Niro for a few months, love it, no issues so far. Getting about 50mpg but generally do shorter journeys these days.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on February 04, 2022, 07:19:53 pm by Nudga »
Just had my first spin in our new BMW iX3, man it is rapid.
Didn't realise EVs had that much torque.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #117 on February 04, 2022, 07:27:36 pm by SydneyRover »
''Comparing their rate of acceleration, Formula E can go from 0-100km/h in 2.8 seconds. F1 just pips them to the post, reaching the same speeds in an impressive 2.6 seconds. It is important to remember that F1 has had many decades to develop and improve their technology to become the speediest racing cars on earth''

Try and time how long and electric motor takes to get up to speed.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on February 04, 2022, 09:27:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
My Prius doesn't have a massive amount of power at high speed.

But f**k me it takes off from a standing start if you kick down and the electric motor supplements the petrol engine.

It'll outrun all but the fastest ICE cars for the first 40-50 yards from a standing start.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on February 05, 2022, 09:32:09 am by Janso »
Anyone got a Hyundai Kona? The range really appeals to me and just about squeaks into the top end of my budget for a car subscription.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012