Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:38:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Favourite films/suggestions  (Read 17701 times)

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
Re: Favourite films/suggestions
« Reply #120 on November 17, 2020, 04:30:30 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Not going well for me recently: I put Will Smith's Seven Pounds on earlier - turned off after an hour.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on November 17, 2020, 04:31:27 pm by tommy toes »
Mrs T is keen on The Crown.
Watched the first episode of the new series with her last night.

What a load of tosh.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on November 17, 2020, 05:09:59 pm by Janso »
Hotel Mumbai. Excellent film.
Hotel Rwanda is good an all. Not quite the same theme...

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on November 17, 2020, 10:07:09 pm by Metalmicky »
I watched a film on Channel 4 catch-up on Monday called The Ritual.  Is a British horror and had quite a few twists and turns - enjoyed it mostly and it filled a couple of hours.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on November 18, 2020, 01:21:37 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Hotel Mumbai. Excellent film.
Hotel Rwanda is good an all. Not quite the same theme...

I'll keep an eye out!

Another one for the pile; Bronson!

Watched it for the first time in ages last night. Tom Hardy is outstanding. Forgot how good it was.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on November 18, 2020, 01:47:25 pm by MachoMadness »
Been watching the Mandalorian lately. Very good stuff, slightly grittier than regular Star Wars, with a bit of old spaghetti western influence. Good popcorn show if you want something easy to watch with the kids.

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on November 18, 2020, 03:23:04 pm by keyser_soze »
Been watching the Mandalorian lately. Very good stuff, slightly grittier than regular Star Wars, with a bit of old spaghetti western influence. Good popcorn show if you want something easy to watch with the kids.

I'm a massive Star Wars fan and the Mandalorian is great after the new films lost their way a bit. Really gets the feel and aesthetic of the original films and expands the universe nicely, definitely drawing on Samurai/Western tropes.

Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni have hit the spot and teamed up with some talented guest directors. Some interesting filmmaking techniques too, effectively using studios with massive floor to ceiling screens all round them displaying the background rather than filming on location or against green screen.

mugnapper

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on November 19, 2020, 04:23:42 pm by mugnapper »
'Call My Agent' on Netflix.
English subtitled, French comedy about a talent agency. Has a real French actor in every episode (most of whom I've never heard of), generally taking the piss out of themselves.
3 series of 6 x one hour(ish) episodes.
Binge watched the lot over a week.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on November 24, 2020, 10:33:48 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
The wife and I started Modern Family on Netflix last week and we are binge watching at every opportunity. Funny and easy watching - I would also say it gets better.

It's worth watching for Sofia Vergara alone!  :kiss: :evil:

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on November 24, 2020, 01:00:19 pm by MachoMadness »

I'm a massive Star Wars fan and the Mandalorian is great after the new films lost their way a bit. Really gets the feel and aesthetic of the original films and expands the universe nicely, definitely drawing on Samurai/Western tropes.

Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni have hit the spot and teamed up with some talented guest directors. Some interesting filmmaking techniques too, effectively using studios with massive floor to ceiling screens all round them displaying the background rather than filming on location or against green screen.
I must admit it blew my mind when I learned the whole thing was made on a sound stage. You can't tell at all, it's very subtle.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #130 on November 26, 2020, 11:09:46 am by IDM »
Just finished the whole set of Better Call Saul.. didn’t realise there is another series due - Covid pending - thought it ended with too much of a plot gap to Breaking Bad..

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on November 26, 2020, 02:55:20 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Just finished the whole set of Better Call Saul.. didn’t realise there is another series due - Covid pending - thought it ended with too much of a plot gap to Breaking Bad..

Brilliant watch. I love it, along with Breaking Bad. I had forgotten about the new series, actually, but as you say, CV-19 pending - so could be a while. I know what you mean about the ending....

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on December 02, 2020, 09:04:45 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Has anyone watched The Undoing on Sky Atlantic?

We didn't watch it when it was on TV, but have tried several times tonight to download it from Sky on demand, with no success.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on December 02, 2020, 09:11:08 pm by IDM »
Are you trying to watch a HD channel version but you do t have that subscription maybe.?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on December 03, 2020, 09:28:54 pm by RobTheRover »

I must admit it blew my mind when I learned the whole thing was made on a sound stage. You can't tell at all, it's very subtle.

Another vote for The Mandalorian here. Last week's episode with Ahsoka had me beside myself. Utterly brilliant. It's a triumph.

My top 5 films are :

SW: The Empire Strikes Back
SW : A New Hope
Raiders of The Lost Ark
Jaws
The Thing

I could watch any one of those at any time of day or night.   Actually, I might slip the blu-ray of The Thing on later (it's almost a Christmas movie too).

Given the news of Eliot Page in the past couple of days, watch him in Hard Candy if you haven't seen it. It's superb.

I'm halfway through series 2 of The Boys on Amazon Prine and really enjoying that at the moment.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on December 03, 2020, 10:59:29 pm by MachoMadness »
The thing is one of my absolute favourite films ever. It's pretty much perfect.

It's childish but I always get a chuckle out of the German name:

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on December 04, 2020, 08:46:15 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Are you trying to watch a HD channel version but you do t have that subscription maybe.?

Sorry, just seen this. We have tried downloading in standard format and unfortunately the download fails.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #137 on December 04, 2020, 09:50:01 am by IDM »
Keep trying..

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on December 04, 2020, 03:19:33 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Ronin
Mad Dog & Glory
The Bourne Identity
The Equaliser (Denzil Washington)
Loche

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on December 12, 2020, 12:35:00 am by Janso »
Just watched The Fundamentals of Caring. Would recommend.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on December 12, 2020, 02:46:12 pm by no eyed deer »
One that not many have watched Apocalypto

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #141 on December 12, 2020, 05:13:36 pm by Superspy »
I've just gone back and watched the full run of Misfits. It starts of mental and gets more ludicrous as the story goes on, but I find the characters really funny and it's an easy watch.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on December 12, 2020, 07:23:40 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Has anyone watched The Undoing on Sky Atlantic?

We didn't watch it when it was on TV, but have tried several times tonight to download it from Sky on demand, with no success.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Managed to get this sorted last night after a week or so of forgetting about it. We're halfway through and will probably finish it tonight. Very good so far. Would recommend.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #143 on December 21, 2020, 10:17:11 pm by SydneyRover »
'Far From Men' watched this 2014 French film last night and can highly recommend it.

Set in Algeria in the 50s

Added: Nick Cave did the sound track
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 11:04:08 am by SydneyRover »

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #144 on December 22, 2020, 05:14:42 pm by Superspy »
I'm going back to the 90s at the minute and watching all of the Highlander series. The difference between what was allowed on TV back then when rated as a 15/16+ and what is produced these days in similar age ratings is striking.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on January 03, 2021, 07:21:23 pm by Metalmicky »
Not a film........ but just finished watching the whole series of The Serpent on BBC iPlayer - really enjoyed it. 

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on January 04, 2021, 09:42:53 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Not a film........ but just finished watching the whole series of The Serpent on BBC iPlayer - really enjoyed it.

We're 2 episodes in. First episode was good, not so sure on the second, but will stick with it.

Petche

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on January 04, 2021, 11:34:03 am by Petche »
Just having a re-run of Twin Peaks from the very beginning. Just as good as I remember, weird and wonderful!! Possibly the best thing tv as ever produced!

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on January 04, 2021, 02:00:12 pm by MachoMadness »
Just having a re-run of Twin Peaks from the very beginning. Just as good as I remember, weird and wonderful!! Possibly the best thing tv as ever produced!
How weird - so are we! Finished the original series and just watched Fire Walk With Me last night. Such a brilliant, underrated film, a lot of people really hate it but I think it's fantastic. About to start the 3rd series tonight, I haven't seen it since it first came out so I'm looking forward to it.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on January 04, 2021, 04:43:05 pm by scawsby steve »
David Lynch is a genius.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012