Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:18:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lewis hamiliton is quite the champion  (Read 6630 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Lewis hamiliton is quite the champion
« on October 11, 2020, 03:38:03 pm by SydneyRover »
''Lewis Hamilton equals Michael Schumacher's 91 race wins at Eifel F1 GP
Mercedes driver matches 19-year-old record at the Nürburgring
Seventh win of 2020 edges him closer to German’s tally of titles''

I must admit I don't watch a lot of F1 but this is quite a feat.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Lewis hamiliton is quite the champion
« Reply #1 on October 11, 2020, 04:23:54 pm by Filo »
It helps when you have the best car, Verstappen will be a multi world champion no doubt about, he gets the best out of the Red Bull, but when Honda ditch F1 they need to find a competitive engine for him

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 11, 2020, 04:32:13 pm by Donnywolf »
As Martin Brundle said at the end of the Race "the best Drivers end up in the best Cars - and there is no doubt Schumacher had a very decent Ferrari for 6 or 7 years"

As he also said when MS had his Ferrari there was an identical one alonside him in the hands of Barrichello and others - and Hamilton has the equal best car now with Bottas also in an identical car for a few seasons. Realitically he has never looked like eclipsing Hamilton

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 11, 2020, 06:38:34 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
As Martin Brundle said at the end of the Race "the best Drivers end up in the best Cars - and there is no doubt Schumacher had a very decent Ferrari for 6 or 7 years"

As he also said when MS had his Ferrari there was an identical one alonside him in the hands of Barrichello and others - and Hamilton has the equal best car now with Bottas also in an identical car for a few seasons. Realitically he has never looked like eclipsing Hamilton

Absolutely this.  Hamilton moved to Merc when they were not the best. Schumacher moved to Ferrari when they were not the best. Those teams became the best.

My only point on the comparison, Hamilton was beaten once by a teammate. Schumacher never.  Hamilton is brilliant, but for me he's not Schumacher. And I say that as someone who hated Schumacher and always liked Lewis Hamilton.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 11, 2020, 06:48:12 pm by Janso »

Absolutely this.  Hamilton moved to Merc when they were not the best. Schumacher moved to Ferrari when they were not the best. Those teams became the best.

My only point on the comparison, Hamilton was beaten once by a teammate. Schumacher never.  Hamilton is brilliant, but for me he's not Schumacher. And I say that as someone who hated Schumacher and always liked Lewis Hamilton.

I wasn't old enough to really understand at the time but I remember seeing a story from Barrichello about team orders at Ferrari and how, essentially, they wouldn't let him beat Michael. How true that is, I don't know, but team orders are undoubtedly a thing within some teams, even if unofficially.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 11, 2020, 09:45:07 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Of course they are.  Part of Schumacher's greatness was his ability to make himself the man in that team. He created that culture of success through being supremely talented and largely unbeatable.  Verstappen currently has that trait, alonso had it also.  Verstappen currently is destroying team mates because he has essentially created a team built for him and a car built for him.

If anything thoufh Hamilton is just relentlessly consistent in recent years.  Whilst it isn't noted so much the guy has a ridiculous focus on winning and being succesful, while many try to get there, the mental focus Hamilton has is relentless.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 11, 2020, 10:02:25 pm by Draytonian III »
I used to watch F1 every week until ITV started showing it live, every few minutes they would go for an advert and miss half the action so I gave up on it. Another thing is that Lewis Hamilton is turning himself into motor racing’s version of Bono with all his media comments on everything

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 11, 2020, 10:07:25 pm by SydneyRover »
Hope I'm not ruining the thread here but if he'd only raced once and never won he'd be a record holder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Hamilton

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 12, 2020, 07:15:34 am by Donnywolf »
I used to watch F1 every week until ITV started showing it live, every few minutes they would go for an advert and miss half the action so I gave up on it. Another thing is that Lewis Hamilton is turning himself into motor racing’s version of Bono with all his media comments on everything

The latter comment is so true - I love him as a driver (and followed his every move after he declared his all time hero was the same as mine) and he has bossed the sport for ages now and will probably take every record BUT I think the campaigning etc does not do him any favours

If he does want to promote these things he should do it in between Race weekends rather than take up victory speeches and side track to his pet projects - and I am surprised that F1 "Owners" allow him to wear some of the T Shirts he has been sporting lately when EUFA used to root out such behaviour

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 12, 2020, 09:02:38 am by Donnywolf »

If anything though Hamilton is just relentlessly consistent in recent years.  Whilst it isn't noted so much the guy has a ridiculous focus on winning and being succesful, while many try to get there, the mental focus Hamilton has is relentless.

Yes - that is him in a nutshell

Ayrton Senna was just the same - and reading about him - he could lap at ridiculous speeds yet still debrief with his engineers in microscopic detail

In one book I read it said he could tell the engineers his fuel consumption to 2 decimal places when crossing the line in testing sessions - and I dont doubt LH can do LOTS of equivalent comparative tasks with just one aim. KEEPING his edge over Bottas and all the others

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 12, 2020, 09:03:22 am by River Don »
Celebrities have to tread a careful line when they decide to champion good causes. they can soon look preachy.

Marcus Rashford is doing a better job of it so far, he keeps it away from the football side of things.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 15, 2020, 12:48:03 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
i remember him "sacrificing" his girlfriend for the sport .... seems to have been in 2015 the sun article is 2018

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/7253321/lewis-hamilton-girlfriend-love-life/#:~:text=LEWIS%20HAMILTON%20has%20revealed%20he,from%20Nicole%20Scherzingher%20in%202015.&text=The%2033%2Dyear%2Dold%20is,retires%20from%20the%20race%20track.

Over the years i always thought it would be a good idea " gesture" if he invested a few pound in Stevenage FC ??

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 15, 2020, 04:06:45 pm by Metalmicky »
Lewis Hamilton's 'wokening' has been quite a thing - from selling his plane (which, incidentally he avoided paying tax on) to cleaning up beaches and wearing vegan footwear...

If only he (and the massive F1 entourage) didn't have to travel to 18/19/20 countries every year to race fuel guzzling motor vehicles in a sport built entirely on the exploitation of fossil fuels, then his environmental evangelism would be more believable....... and credible 

He's just another woke hectoring celeb who continues to lecture whilst ignoring the eco-friendly morals they are so passionate about.  Anyone remember Emma Thompson taking part in an Extinction Rebellion (XR) protest in London after jetting in from LA for it or Olivia Colman parading around at the same rally whilst conveniently forgetting she was well paid for appearing in British Airways commercials.  Wasn't there also a clamour of celebs who signed a self hypocrisy media letter admitting their previous misgivings in damaging the planet whilst continuing to live the same lavish, decadent and well-travelled lives....

He does drive a fast car very fast nonetheless... 

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 15, 2020, 06:20:39 pm by IDM »
That will be the same British airways that has just got rid of its final Boeing 747 aircraft - the role replaced by more modern twin jet aircraft which have engines that are far more economical with fuel.?

Anyway that’s not the point.. what Hamilton is doing isn’t a protest about any political issue within F1 I don’t think, therefore his protestations and campaigning don’t get censure from the FIA.

As for his stance on racism, when you see the police who shot the black woman in her home by mistake not being served justice, as an example - his stance is welcome IMHO..
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 06:40:32 pm by IDM »

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 15, 2020, 06:36:58 pm by Metalmicky »
That will be the same British airways that has just got rid of its final Boeing 747 aircraft - the role replaces by more modern twin jet aircraft which have engines that are far more economical with fuel.?

Anyway that’s not the point.. what Hamilton is doing isn’t a protest about any political issue within F1 I don’t think, therefore his protestations and campaigning don’t get censure from the FIA.

As for his stance in racism, when you see the police who shot the black woman in her home by mistake not being served justice, as an example - his stance is welcome IMHO..

Not sure if your reply was aimed at me? - but I didn't mention the FIA or racism in my post...

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 15, 2020, 06:39:56 pm by IDM »
No, only the reference to BA..

The rest is just my thoughts..

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 16, 2020, 02:21:28 pm by RoversAlias »
I often debate this with my flat mate - it is impossible really to compare and contrast the greatest F1 drivers of different generations. Is Ayrton Senna better than Michael Schumacher? Schumacher than Hamilton? Unless two drives compete directly against each other in the same era and comparable cars it is just too difficult to tell.

Hamilton is the unquestioned best driver of this era. The only guy who comes close is Alonso, who also showed he could beat Schumacher in his prime. But we never really got Hamilton v Schumacher or Schumacher v Senna, not in evenly strong cars anyway.

As far as personalities go...I'm not sure I'd want to be friends with Hamilton, Schumacher or Senna in real life! They all had/have traits that rub me the wrong way, and an unwavering ruthlessness in the pursuit of their goals. Although I'm fully with Hamilton on his outspoken views of racism and stand with his decision to protest at race days.

nightporter

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 16, 2020, 03:49:39 pm by nightporter »
I think Senna was the last great driver. F1's are not easy to drive but compared to Senna's they're like a family salon. 
This is  Senna at Monaco, 700/800 bhp, 1 handed while changing gears for 70 laps. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auXfAHHNSFo&t=2s

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 16, 2020, 08:59:52 pm by IDM »
Have to say that was outstanding by Hamilton yesterday.

First of all the new track surface lacked grip, and with the rain in qualifying Somehow Mercedes hadn’t got the set up right.  Lewis qualified in 6th with Stroll a surprise pole position.

First lap Lewis takes 3 places but loses them almost immediately as his brakes and tiyres aren’t working.  He’s then stuck behind a slower Vettel where it isn’t safe to overtake.

All the cars change tyres onto inters again, Hamilton quite late.  As the track dries a little you can see Hamilton getting quicker and quicker.. He bides his time and one by one gets by all the others who make a second tyre change (except Perez) and before you know it, he’s in the lead.  It is still damp but Hamilton’s inters are now slick and he’s taking advantage of the drier racing line without needing to move off it, so he can go quicker and quicker and get his tyres and brakes hotter and working better.  With a couple of laps to go he can afford a pit stop for safety’s sake in case his tyres go off, but he declines in case of a risk of a slow stop.  Wins the race by half a minute on worn out slick inters that are about 40 odd laps old.

Not only the race win but smashes the world championship top.

That had to be one of his best performances I have seen.  Not the most exciting nor enthralling for entertainment, but for dedication and playing the conditions without needing to take risks, that was masterful.

Even my other half who usually dislikes Hamilton was in awe.

Great to see the sincere congratulations from Vettel too - he’s not been a rival to Hamilton this season but that was classy of him yesterday.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 09:04:58 pm by IDM »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 17, 2020, 06:45:52 am by Donnywolf »
Agree IDM - probably as was said during Prog one of his top 10 drives of all time superbly judged in all aspects of it

I was remembering China and how he threw away the Championship when he had "slicked" his wets/inters  there and could not make the tight pit turn - and I was howling at the Telly (must be the Wolf in me) for Merc to bring him in bring him in

When they did show the tyres I shouted about time - get him in and get them on and was stunned when he ignored them and continued. He had been questioning them re the Silverstone blow outs after all and then carried on anyway !

Inspirational drive - he must have been confident and took the gamble probably knowing Bottas was out of the running and he was Champ even with a spin off. Couldnt believe those tyres

Magnanimous from Vettel too didnt go un noticed by me and surely Ham will do at least one more Season to crack 8 Titles and what will surely be an unassailable number of Championships given that I expect the sport to be equalled up by the Governing body over a decade or so.

The cars should become more equal and it will make it harder for a simgle make or driver to dominate though the likes of Senna Schuey and undoubtedly "Sir" Lewis would make it look "easy". Class drivers who would get more out of a lesser car than some do now or would have done - whereas those from lower on the Grid whilst being brilliant drivers would still not get quite the best out of the best car

Sounds outrageous, but I know F1 watchers will know what I mean and hopefully agree

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 17, 2020, 08:48:37 am by Axholme Lion »
Lewis Hamilton's 'wokening' has been quite a thing - from selling his plane (which, incidentally he avoided paying tax on) to cleaning up beaches and wearing vegan footwear...

If only he (and the massive F1 entourage) didn't have to travel to 18/19/20 countries every year to race fuel guzzling motor vehicles in a sport built entirely on the exploitation of fossil fuels, then his environmental evangelism would be more believable....... and credible 

He's just another woke hectoring celeb who continues to lecture whilst ignoring the eco-friendly morals they are so passionate about.  Anyone remember Emma Thompson taking part in an Extinction Rebellion (XR) protest in London after jetting in from LA for it or Olivia Colman parading around at the same rally whilst conveniently forgetting she was well paid for appearing in British Airways commercials.  Wasn't there also a clamour of celebs who signed a self hypocrisy media letter admitting their previous misgivings in damaging the planet whilst continuing to live the same lavish, decadent and well-travelled lives....

He does drive a fast car very fast nonetheless...

All true.

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 17, 2020, 09:23:17 am by keyser_soze »
He's a guy that is very difficult to like with his little sulks when he loses, but that is just makes him the greatest. Martin Whitmarsh once said a great driver is someone he wouldn't want his daughter to bring home, selfish, stubborn and self-centred.

He was only beaten by Rosberg over a season where he had some terrible bad luck with reliability, and the sheer effort of beating Hamilton killed Nico off mentally and he had to retire while at the top! 

The point about the best drivers ending up in the best cars and making themselves the focus of the team is valid, don't forget Hamilton pitched up at McLaren in his debut season, and turfed out Alonso, a double world champion who is one of the best in the business at mind games and building a team around himself.

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 17, 2020, 09:28:18 am by keyser_soze »
I wasn't old enough to really understand at the time but I remember seeing a story from Barrichello about team orders at Ferrari and how, essentially, they wouldn't let him beat Michael. How true that is, I don't know, but team orders are undoubtedly a thing within some teams, even if unofficially.

In some ways the fact that Mercedes allow their drivers to compete on an even footing (to some extent, i'm not that daft) makes the achievement even more significant, and Hamilton doesn't have the luxury of some yes man like Irvine or Barrichello watching his back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_UEuIbRTMY
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 09:40:33 am by keyser_soze »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on November 17, 2020, 09:41:23 am by Donnywolf »
Yes a very good point and really backs up my comment earlier that a lesser driver from down the grid would not get out of the Merc what LH does - yet LH would get the lesser car going better

And here we have a brilliant driver in Bottas not matching Ham as well as he should in almost "identical" machinery

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 04, 2020, 07:05:31 pm by Metalmicky »
So, the 22 year old apprentice matches up to Hamilton.......without even driving the Mercedes car this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55190880

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 05, 2020, 06:59:56 am by Donnywolf »
Hi MM

I am sure he is a very capable young fellow and has a unique insight into the Merc Car he has inherited for maybe 2 races if Ham decides not to go to Abu Dhabi

Russell gave Hams car a send off last Season (as their test driver) in the last testing session of last Season

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11877971/f1-testing-george-russell-fastest-for-mercedes-on-2019s-final-day and I have no doubt he will have been testing this Car and doing endless simulations exactly because he is the reserve driver

IMO he will eventually replace Bottas the Season after next or indeed Hamilton if he takes the Title again next year and retires. Russell will then step in as one half of the Team and Bottas will go to be replaced by [ insert name here ... ]

So that is a long way of saying he is a fantastic prospect - and he will have driven the car he is in today already many many times. The snag he has is he is 5" taller than Ham and they are still adapting the car for him BUT there is no doubt he is fast and indeed tipped to be second in "Quali" to Bottas (a man under pressure to perform given he HAS had use of that Car all year)

I personally hope George wins and it validates to a degree what I said my last post " a lesser driver would not get out of Hams car what he would but Ham would get more out of a lesser car than its driver"

Unfortunately there is no way to prove any of that is right with the exception of Bottas is a distant second to Ham in Title race - so he should be judged as the inferior driver of the two as they have had identical cars for two seasons though Bottas has had the cruellest of luck, AND Ham of course would not swap to Williams just to prove a point

The only way to prove who the best driver is every season is standardise the cars much much more and with Liberty in charge we will surely see this evolve and Hams records will never be eclipsed as no driver / Car marque will dominate as we have seen teams do for years many times in the past

Anyway COYRs x 2 this weekend Rovers and Russell

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 06, 2020, 10:01:58 pm by normal rules »
When the uk bans new diesel and petrol cars from 2030, will this include new F1 cars?
A lot of them are made in the uk.
I do hope so. It’s  Like watching paint dry.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on December 06, 2020, 10:35:02 pm by selby »
  They made a mistake with the tyres, yeh right, that's one way of showing  a youngster in that car would  still win and all the others are their to make up the numbers.
 Its like watching the Coop funeral cars, the same one is always at the front.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on December 06, 2020, 11:00:44 pm by IDM »
When the uk bans new diesel and petrol cars from 2030, will this include new F1 cars?
A lot of them are made in the uk.
I do hope so. It’s  Like watching paint dry.

No it’s not.. yes, it is just as much about strategy as flat out racing, but the strategy is quite interesting..

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on December 07, 2020, 07:05:53 am by Donnywolf »
 :that:
It is a game of Chess with a variety of pieces doing different jobs. 400 in Racing Point Team for example - and was surprised that the bigger Teams have twice that number - all trying to make their Car capable of (I will call it) being in front of the opposition .

Brian - I agree it is not for everyone I know due to periods of domination by one team but Liberty who have the sports reins now know that they need geuine week to week competition and they will eventually mould the sport to become more equal by placing spending caps on Teams and introducing standardised parts to mirror what they do in USA.

Not so long ago in their equivalent of F1 there were only 2 different Chassis to pick from when building a Car (sure they were both British made Lola and ????) That made the competition immediately more on a level playing field and more interesting. There is much less dominance by single teams and single drivers.

It is to a degree what the USA sports do in other sports - i.e. try to give every Team the best chance ossible with draft picks - weak Teams playing weak Team where possible etc because they know the "business" depends on it

TinyPortal © 2005-2012