Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:02:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tom Anderson  (Read 6141 times)

TheDonnyPop

• Forum Member
Re: Tom Anderson
« Reply #30 on October 22, 2020, 08:13:15 am by TheDonnyPop »
Im not a Marquis fan IMHO. Other than the League 2 season he went on a 10 game barren run for the next 2 seasons after that. Lost count of how many pens he missed along the way, hardly ever assisted any goals either. For a number 9 who played every minute of every game when fit his number should have been much better if he was THAT good. And its no coincidence that the team have not really missed him since he has been gone and hardly pulled trees up at Portsmouth.

I think that is a fair opinion.

His contribution and goal scoring record speaks for itself. However, what I dont miss is the big sulk.

He was an unexpexted gem IMO. Signed to play more of the hayter role but found he scoring shoes and became an out and out striker.

Personally I think as a team we will score more goals how DM sets up

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on October 22, 2020, 08:28:28 am by idler »
When you take a player on you get his good habits and his bad points.
JM was brilliant for us as we were very good for his career. You could never fault his effort while he was here. Compared with some of the dross up front for us over the last 60 years his record stands up well.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on October 22, 2020, 11:05:04 am by DMnumber4 »
61 goals in 134 league games at Rovers for JM.

35 goals in his other 178 league games combined everywhere else.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on October 22, 2020, 11:08:33 am by adamtherover »
Im not a Marquis fan IMHO. Other than the League 2 season he went on a 10 game barren run for the next 2 seasons after that. Lost count of how many pens he missed along the way, hardly ever assisted any goals either. For a number 9 who played every minute of every game when fit his number should have been much better if he was THAT good. And its no coincidence that the team have not really missed him since he has been gone and hardly pulled trees up at Portsmouth.

I think that is a fair opinion.

His contribution and goal scoring record speaks for itself. However, what I dont miss is the big sulk.

He was an unexpexted gem IMO. Signed to play more of the hayter role but found he scoring shoes and became an out and out striker.

Personally I think as a team we will score more goals how DM sets up
8 or 9 separate scorers so far just shows how we attack as a pack, not a lone wolf..

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on October 22, 2020, 11:53:34 am by ravenrover »
Totally unfair to criticise Marquis, apart from the penalty misses, he was a great hardworking centre forward for us. Yes he missed a fair few chances but you have to be in the right place to miss them. A player I, and I would suggest many others would have back with no hesitation

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on October 22, 2020, 12:07:50 pm by NickDRFC »
I think Marquis would fit into this team very well. We press hard and that was something that he was very good at - he ran his blood to water every game for us, chasing down lost causes even in injury time. Still, we have a number of good choices for the front line and I don’t think we are missing him much at the moment.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on October 22, 2020, 05:42:41 pm by RoversAlias »
He's one of the best strikers we have ever had, and for a player with his style he did work surprisingly hard and backed up his attitude with goals galore.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on October 22, 2020, 07:14:21 pm by Campsall rover »
Your entitled to you opinion but imo your way off the mark. His record speaks for itself at Rovers and is one of the best over the last 50 years.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on October 22, 2020, 07:25:46 pm by IDM »
I thought this was about Tom.?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on October 22, 2020, 07:37:12 pm by Campsall rover »
It went a bit off track after the first few posts. It seems everyone still loves to talk about Marquis.
Shows to me just how good he was in a Rovers shirt.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on October 22, 2020, 07:37:43 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »

True.

I love Tom & his smashed up face.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on October 23, 2020, 12:32:39 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I'd have him back in a flash. He was a superb harrier of defenders. In their face all the time. Forcing mistakes.

The whole team is doing that now and he would fit in perfectly.

But if Okenabirhie keeps on putting in performances like Tuesday night, he'll do for me.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on October 23, 2020, 12:39:59 am by BillyStubbsTears »
PS. I said to our kid on Tuesday night that the way we harried Ipswich's defence reminded me of my favourite ever period as a Rovers fan - the first half of 2003/04.

That was like watching a pack of hyenas take down a hippo every week. Blundell, McIndoe, Green, Ravenhill constantly in the faces of defenders and forcing them into mistakes. I've never in all my life seen a Rovers side dominate a division like we did from September to December that year. Wasn't it something like 40 points out of a possible 45. Week after week we'd come out of the traps and WHAM!  2-0 up in 20 minutes with the opposition defence looking shell-shocked.

Sims, Smith, Taylor, Gomes, John and Halliday reminded me of that period on Tuesday. More please.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on October 23, 2020, 06:18:05 am by andyst79 »
I'd have him back in a flash. He was a superb harrier of defenders. In their face all the time. Forcing mistakes.

The whole team is doing that now and he would fit in perfectly.

But if Okenabirhie keeps on putting in performances like Tuesday night, he'll do for me.
Nobody's really mentioned Okenabirihie's performance. I thought he really grew into the game in the 2nd half , his hold up play was superb and he took his goal really well

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on October 23, 2020, 06:26:23 am by Donnywolf »

It was ! I think he is awesome at the moment

Well done big Tom - a new legend in the making but has he got a "song" yet ?

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on October 23, 2020, 08:45:31 am by dknward2 »
PS. I said to our kid on Tuesday night that the way we harried Ipswich's defence reminded me of my favourite ever period as a Rovers fan - the first half of 2003/04.

That was like watching a pack of hyenas take down a hippo every week. Blundell, McIndoe, Green, Ravenhill constantly in the faces of defenders and forcing them into mistakes. I've never in all my life seen a Rovers side dominate a division like we did from September to December that year. Wasn't it something like 40 points out of a possible 45. Week after week we'd come out of the traps and WHAM!  2-0 up in 20 minutes with the opposition defence looking shell-shocked.

Sims, Smith, Taylor, Gomes, John and Halliday reminded me of that period on Tuesday. More please.

As regards the hunting them down this is what I love to see and we were still doing it in the 90th minute trying to force the error.

Can we keep it going over the season

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on October 23, 2020, 10:17:00 am by Alan Southstand »
Well done big Tom - a new legend in the making but has he got a "song" yet ?

What about:

Who’s the best defender in the football league?, it’s you Tom Tom Tom, it’s you Tom Tom.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on October 23, 2020, 10:50:17 am by RoversAlias »
Isn't that already Cam John's chant?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on October 23, 2020, 10:55:43 am by Alan Southstand »
OK, what about this one - to the tune of Big Bad John (ask your parents if you don’t know the song):

Every game at the Keepmoat you could see him arrive
He stood six-foot-six and weighed two-forty-five
Kinda broad at the shoulder and narrow at the hip
And everybody knew ya didn't give no lip to big Tom

(Big Tom, big Tom, Big bad Tom (big Tom)

Nobody seemed to know where Tom called home
He just drifted into town and stayed all alone
He didn't say much, kinda quiet and shy
And if you spoke at all, you just said hi to Big Tom

Then came the day when he crossed that line
When he got the game cracked and men started cryin'
Supporters were prayin' and hearts beat fast
And everybody thought that we’d won our last, 'cept Tom

Through the mud and the blood of these games from hell
Walked a giant of a man that his team mates knew well
He grabbed a saggin' striker and gave out a groan
And like a giant oak tree he just stood there alone, big Tom

(Big Tom, big Tom) Big bad Tom (big Tom)

And with all of his strength he came up from deep
He’d come up for a corner and with one mighty leap
Everyone froze as he headed it, just like big Dave
The keeper had no chance of making a save, big Tom

He became a Donny legend, a bit of a hit
We just can’t imagine him in another team’s kit
These few words should be written in the stand
At the back of this team plays a big, big man
Big Tom

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on October 23, 2020, 01:17:35 pm by drfchound »
OK, what about this one - to the tune of Big Bad John (ask your parents if you don’t know the song):

Every game at the Keepmoat you could see him arrive
He stood six-foot-six and weighed two-forty-five
Kinda broad at the shoulder and narrow at the hip
And everybody knew ya didn't give no lip to big Tom

(Big Tom, big Tom, Big bad Tom (big Tom)

Nobody seemed to know where Tom called home
He just drifted into town and stayed all alone
He didn't say much, kinda quiet and shy
And if you spoke at all, you just said hi to Big Tom

Then came the day when he crossed that line
When he got the game cracked and men started cryin'
Supporters were prayin' and hearts beat fast
And everybody thought that we’d won our last, 'cept Tom

Through the mud and the blood of these games from hell
Walked a giant of a man that his team mates knew well
He grabbed a saggin' striker and gave out a groan
And like a giant oak tree he just stood there alone, big Tom

And with all of his strength he came up from deep
He’d come up for a corner and with one mighty leap
Everyone froze as he headed it, just like big Dave
The keeper had no chance of making a save, big Tom

He became a Donny legend, a bit of a hit
We just can’t imagine him in another team’s kit
These few words should be written in the stand
At the back of this team plays a big, big man
Big Tom

Alan, do you really think that our “singers” would even remember the first verse of that (when we get back into the ground again of course).

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on October 23, 2020, 02:35:23 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
One of the best lines I've heard and sums up Tom was from Glen commentating on the Portsmouth game.

When Tom went tumbling over the hoardings and disappeared into the seats Glen said “There's a steward hurriedly running round to the incident to inspect the damage to the concrete!“ Priceless!

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on October 23, 2020, 04:54:09 pm by Lesonthewest »

Totally agree BST, absolutely loved watching that team back then, & I am loving watching the current just the same, fantastic to watch. We are still gelling as a team of course but if we find the kind of consistency & momentum of the previous side, Ipswich & Bristol Rovers aren't the only sides who could face a spanking this season.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on October 23, 2020, 10:15:01 pm by Alan Southstand »
Hound, there’s no way that any singers will remember the first line, never mind the rest. Just bored stupid, so I thought it’d waste a bit of time! :lol:

Big bad Tom

Ahhh ooooh

;)

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on October 23, 2020, 10:19:29 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
He's big, he's strong, he'll head it all night long, super Tom, super Tom!

Shite, yet singable?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 09:28:05 am by Monkcaster_Rover »

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on October 23, 2020, 10:23:15 pm by Janso »
He's big, he's long, he'll head it all night long, super Tom, super Tom!

Shite, yet singable?
Can't rhyme a word with itself ya todge - you're not allowed in for the rest of the season.

Big and strong, however.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on October 24, 2020, 09:28:35 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
He's big, he's long, he'll head it all night long, super Tom, super Tom!

Shite, yet singable?
Can't rhyme a word with itself ya todge - you're not allowed in for the rest of the season.

Big and strong, however.

Amended!

Long week at work. Its a poor excuse but I'm using it.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on October 24, 2020, 09:39:27 am by Donnywolf »
Nice one - that works for me although I will have to leave it to the South Stand to do it justice

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on October 24, 2020, 06:25:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Well that post aged rapidly didn't it...

RedRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on October 27, 2020, 09:42:22 pm by RedRover »
Would you have Marquis back here? In my opinion he was 1 of the best strikers we've ever had, however with him up top we were very 1 dimensional at times and relied heavily on his goal scoring. This season everyone is weighing in with goals hopefully this will continue

He was one of the most of the prolific goalscorers that can't be denied but I don't know how it can be a surprise to anyone that the goals have virtually dried up since he left for Pompey, he's technically poor, his penalty record proves that.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on October 27, 2020, 09:43:22 pm by drfchound »
Marquis scored two tonight.
Second highest scorer in L1.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 09:55:00 pm by drfchound »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012