Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:45:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Crewe Alexandra game  (Read 7919 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Crewe Alexandra game
« Reply #30 on October 22, 2020, 07:06:44 pm by Campsall rover »
Crewe have a dreadful away record in the league. They have won one in ten away from home in the league, covering last season in League Two and this season in League One. Their single win in ten was a 1-2 victory away at Walsall back on 1 February. They have lost both their away games in League One this season without scoring a single goal.
They are unlikely to go another 10 games away without a win so we must make sure that win isn’t this Saturday.
Poor runs are always broken so complacency would be very very foolish indeed. Crewe are a decent team and I think they will stay up this season.
If we are on our game for the best part of 90 mins we will win no question. If we have a half a game as we did at Wigan we are extremely unlikely to do so.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on October 23, 2020, 10:14:47 pm by selby »
  You have got it in one Paul, this game will  show how the team react to a little success and how much they want more.
  The minute they relax and start to think it will be easy is the time they will come unstuck.
  I am sure Darren and his team will be well aware of it and will keep the young side on the right track helped by older players like Taylor and Copps who have tasted success before in their careers.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on October 24, 2020, 08:24:02 am by NickDRFC »
  You have got it in one Paul, this game will  show how the team react to a little success and how much they want more.
  The minute they relax and start to think it will be easy is the time they will come unstuck.
  I am sure Darren and his team will be well aware of it and will keep the young side on the right track helped by older players like Taylor and Copps who have tasted success before in their careers.

Calling Taylor one of the older players makes me feel very old, he’s just turned 28. Starting to think at 34 that my dreams of becoming a footballer probably aren’t going to happen...

It’s remarkable though that he’s the oldest of our regular starters so far this year. We’re a very young team, which I think shows with the energy we’ve been playing with, and hopefully the older heads (Copps & Butts) can help with that valuable experience even if it’s from the bench or the dressing room.

Ages of the team out against Ipswich if anyone’s interested...

Bursik (20), Halliday (25), Anderson (27), Wright (25), John (21), Whiteman (24), Smith (20), Taylor (28), Gomes (23), Sims (23), Okenabirhie (24)

Bench - Jones (22), Butler (36), James (26), Richards (19), Williams (25), Coppinger (85), Lokilo (22).

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on October 24, 2020, 08:36:30 am by Donnywolf »
I add up to Cam John Taylor and Smith but if Copps is 85 there is is still hope for me

On a serious note ive had a free £5 bet burning a hole in my pocket for a while - so have gone the lot on Rovers at slightly odds on.

So given Philsky wont get in the Ground you will know why we hav'nt won  (if we dont - but we will) Another tonic for Hoola

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on October 24, 2020, 09:58:49 am by idler »
Poor Hoola, he's gone down from free pints to tonics now.😳🙁

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on October 24, 2020, 05:01:07 pm by Campsall rover »
Who mentioned Crewe going 10 away games without a win?

Keep stum from now onwards please. Kiss of death.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on October 24, 2020, 05:04:31 pm by Campsall rover »
We will play much worse teams than Crewe this season but we went completely off the boil after Crewe scored the free kick.
Still had enough chances to have won the game. Not our day today.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on October 24, 2020, 05:07:12 pm by Pancho Regan »
I'm afraid Fej's misses cost us that game.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on October 24, 2020, 05:07:28 pm by selby »
Typical Rovers and most of us have seen it all before. we just very rarely go on winning runs of any length or even unbeaten runs, and it is usually the game we the supporters expect to win that we trip up in.
 So we have to put it behind us and try and get the points on Tuesday, a very long trip and an even longer trip back if you have lost.
 Crewe made it a factious game and were intent on stopping us getting any rhythm, and basically we fell into the trap,sowell done Crewe, whether we had a decent shout for a penalty is questionable and Crewe deserved their bit of luck.
  A big job for the manager now to lift the team for Tuesday, and some supporters to come down to Earth,we should have played them Tuesday when they had less ambition.

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on October 24, 2020, 05:07:38 pm by Reesielad »
Missed Taylor’s constant running up and down the pitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on October 24, 2020, 05:07:57 pm by bobbymax »
Bit of a travesty to be honest.
Their first looked offside and how was that not a pen in the last minute? The guy has put both hands out in front of him and then pretended the ball hit him in the face. Three points definitely lost!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on October 24, 2020, 05:09:55 pm by Chris Black come back »

You do realise don't you that those results had already happened and were public knowledge? Knowing what has taken place in the past is not some kind of mystical power that can dictate the events of the future. That we lost today had nothing to do with someone looking down a list of past results.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on October 24, 2020, 05:10:05 pm by colincramb »
Not our day, but if we are serious about promotion this season you can’t really throw these type of games at home away. They are a decent team, but they hadn’t won away in 10, plus they had already lost 3 this season.

Move on, not the end of the world but can’t afford too many games like that going forward

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on October 24, 2020, 05:10:59 pm by Chris Black come back »
I'm afraid Fej's misses cost us that game.

His finishing wasn't very good today.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on October 24, 2020, 05:18:35 pm by Campsall rover »

You do realise don't you that those results had already happened and were public knowledge? Knowing what has taken place in the past is not some kind of mystical power that can dictate the events of the future. That we lost today had nothing to do with someone looking down a list of past results.
Are being serious?  That was intended as a light hearted comment CBcb.   :headbang:

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on October 24, 2020, 05:21:17 pm by scawsby steve »
Well, back down to Earth with a bump. We've got to stop giving these early goals away; we got away with it on Tuesday but today we didn't, and if we keep on with these slow starts, someone's going to get away from us before we start playing.

How much is DM prepared to take a gamble on certain players? Because Jones looks a promising young keeper, and Bursik looked poor today.

The man I feel sorry for is Fej. His hold-up play today was reminiscent of Chris Brown, but he missed one very good chance, and one absolute sitter. I don't know how Joe didn't bury that header near the end either.

We lost our way badly after they went 2-1 up, and we quite simply have got to put it right on Tuesday.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on October 24, 2020, 05:25:43 pm by dickos1 »
We will play much worse teams than Crewe this season but we went completely off the boil after Crewe scored the free kick.

After we played MK dons I can recall similar comments from you saying mK dons will surprise everyone this year and will be up there. But theyre down at the bottom struggling.
I just think we need to find a way of beating the sides which were expected to beat, we can’t break teams down

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on October 24, 2020, 05:27:03 pm by tyke1962 »
Welcome boys to the developing young talent on the job club .

Great couple of displays followed by a home defeat in a game you are expected to win .

It is what it is I'm afraid , will probably be so until the new year .

Stick with em , keep yourselves in touch with the top 6 and if they have the talent they will achieve what you are seeking in the second half of the season .

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on October 24, 2020, 05:29:33 pm by Campsall rover »
Turning a negative into a positive. The last time we lost at home to Crewe in Nov 2012 we went on to win the league.  :thumbsup:

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on October 24, 2020, 05:31:20 pm by the vicar »
We had little idea from midfield upwards we need to learn to break teams down that sit back, it dunt help them falling over when we get within a social distancing length

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on October 24, 2020, 05:33:13 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Crewe played us and the ref like a kipper.

I really hate those antics like when they were trying to get Halliday sent off for a fair challenge, deliberately making it look like a foul. Reminds me of the antics of Evans and Raynor. I didn't think it was a foul for their free kick either. Ref fell for it. And please tell me where the foul was right at the end when it should have been either a pen or a corner!!

We didn't play badly today and things didn't quite drop for us or we didn't make it count at critical moments. Sometimes very fine lines. There were times through the game when we hesitated, either making the pass or taking the shot, for no good reason. The extra touch gives defenders/keepers a chance.

Quite ironic when the commentators talked about us being patient, which we were, and us dominating possession and territory. Then Goodwin couldn't resist uttering the  the immortal negative line.. “I hope we don't come to regret.... “ Boom. 2-1 to them!

Good job games come thick and fast. No time to dwell on this. Move on.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on October 24, 2020, 05:33:27 pm by the vicar »
Turning a negative into a positive. The last time we lost at home to Crewe in Nov 2012 we went on to win the league. 
i quite like that quote Campsall

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on October 24, 2020, 05:34:07 pm by Campsall rover »

After we played MK dons I can recall similar comments from you saying mK dons will surprise everyone this year and will be up there. But theyre down at the bottom struggling.
I just think we need to find a way of beating the sides which were expected to beat, we can’t break teams down
They are Dickos and all the teams have played only 7/8 games this season. I actually said MK Dons would finish mid table and if you check your facts and see my League prediction you would see that.
Never did I predict MK Dons would be any way near the play offs.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on October 24, 2020, 05:35:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Crewe played an excellent press on us and I'm afraid we weren't good enough to counter it. No real complaints but we do need to show we are able to overcome that sort of press. It does leave gaps behind if you are sharp and slick enough to offload the ball to a colleague as the press comes in. Today we just weren't. Not often enough anyway.

All that said, there was a stonewall handball penalty for us near the end. I don't like carping on about refs but I'll make an exception here. Today's was awful from start to finish. He never once pulled them up for manhandling players and that set the tone from the off.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on October 24, 2020, 05:36:52 pm by Janso »
Didn't seem too fussed with the timewasting from after the goal onwards either.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on October 24, 2020, 05:37:07 pm by Campsall rover »

I really hate those antics like when they were trying to get Halliday sent off for a fair challenge, deliberately making it look like a foul. Reminds me of the antics of Evans and Raynor. I didn't think it was a foul for their free kick either. Ref fell for it. And please tell me where the foul was right at the end when it should have been either a pen or a corner!!

We didn't play badly today and things didn't quite drop for us or we didn't make it count at critical moments. Sometimes very fine lines. There were times through the game when we hesitated, either making the pass or taking the shot, for no good reason. The extra touch gives defenders/keepers a chance.

Quite ironic when the commentators talked about us being patient, which we were, and us dominating possession and territory. Then Goodwin couldn't resist uttering the  the immortal negative line.. “I hope we don't come to regret.... “ Boom. 2-1 to them!

Great summing up DBR. Bang on imo.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on October 24, 2020, 05:37:13 pm by Chris Black come back »
Crewe played an excellent press on us and I'm afraid we weren't good enough to counter it. No real complaints but we do need to show we are able to overcome that sort of press. It does leave gaps behind if you are sharp and slick enough to offload the ball to a colleague as the press comes in. Today we just weren't. Not often enough anyway.

All that said, there was a stonewall handball penalty for us near the end. I don't like carping on about refs but I'll make an exception here. Today's was awful from start to finish. He never once pulled them up for manhandling players and that set the tone from the off.

There was one handball that was an absolute disgrace, even though it was irrelevant as the ref had blown for a foul on their keeper by Wright. The ball got fired against the defender who looked like he handballed it at stomach height, then the cheating bas**rd went down clutching his head.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on October 24, 2020, 05:38:58 pm by Chris Black come back »

Anderson did quite a good job in some respects for the free kick that they scored from. He did foul the guy but he stood right on the edge of the box to do that and did not move an inch afterwards so the ref was left with no option to see it was on edge, not inside the box.

NigelJ

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on October 24, 2020, 05:40:31 pm by NigelJ »

The ball got fired against the defender who looked like he handballed it at stomach height, then the cheating bas**rd went down clutching his head.

Almost my exact words. His head must have been the level of his stomach - a physical impossibility.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on October 24, 2020, 05:44:59 pm by since-1969 »
Back down to Earth for some players who’s gains in earlier games ,  have shown that it’s what you do all season that shows if you’ve done your job and not in a handful of matches early doors  . Crewe were taken lightly and not shown enough respect of their strengths upfront .

TinyPortal © 2005-2012