Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:29:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: FA Cup 1st Round Draw  (Read 9547 times)

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
Re: FA Cup 1st Round Draw
« Reply #60 on October 26, 2020, 08:18:53 pm by Draytonian III »
If you look at FCUM’s Wikipedia past players page there’s quite a few familiar lower league names including an odd Rovers connection

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on October 26, 2020, 08:22:08 pm by graingrover »
I am delighted we have drawn them.They represent the counter to all that we are coming to despise in football ..the prima donnas and moguls pf the Premiership .They are a club with real values based on the community .

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on October 26, 2020, 08:24:41 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Their fans allowed in?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on October 26, 2020, 08:25:03 pm by drfchound »
I don’t think so Padge.

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on October 26, 2020, 08:25:35 pm by Chris the Rover »
Couldn’t agree more graingrover. That won’t stop me being highly delighted if we leather them. A good chance to make some well needed money and I’m sure DM will appreciate that.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on October 26, 2020, 08:28:02 pm by scawsby steve »
Their fans allowed in?

No fans are allowed anywhere in the FA Cup first round this year.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on October 26, 2020, 08:35:06 pm by Mr1Croft »
I think that we have a good chance of having one of the TV games.  The standout game is Ipswich v Portsmouth, but most of the other big clubs have home games which are not usually favoured by TV as they prefer the smaller team to be at home.   There are plenty of Non-League V League ties, but I can’t remember FCUM being on TV before at this stage, so I think we have as good a chance as any.   The FCUM manager was featured on the BBC show and he said that he was happy to be playing one of the bigger teams with such a good history.

In both occasions FCUM have made the first round of the FA Cup, they were both televised matches. Rochdale away in 2010 and Chesterfield at home in 2015.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on October 26, 2020, 09:18:47 pm by Campsall rover »
Well we nearly got Oldham again. Only a few miles away.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on October 26, 2020, 09:33:52 pm by RoversAlias »
Don’t see it being on TV far more chance of Salford v Hartlepool

As has been said the BBC love Salford. Neville, Scholes & Butt being high profile owners of the club.

And Beckham, Giggs, and the other Neville as well.
I didnt think Beckham and Giggs were involved SS. I stand to be corrected.  :)

They are, it's the Nevilles, Scholes, Giggs, Beckham and Butt. Peter Lim is the money man.

FC United are the club borne out of Man Utd fans hating the Glazers takeover but their upward mobility stalled a couple of seasons ago.

I'd have loved this tie in any other year, so a real shame it has happened when we can't go.

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on October 26, 2020, 09:35:13 pm by POD »
I think that we have a good chance of having one of the TV games.  The standout game is Ipswich v Portsmouth, but most of the other big clubs have home games which are not usually favoured by TV as they prefer the smaller team to be at home.   There are plenty of Non-League V League ties, but I can’t remember FCUM being on TV before at this stage, so I think we have as good a chance as any.   The FCUM manager was featured on the BBC show and he said that he was happy to be playing one of the bigger teams with such a good history.

In both occasions FCUM have made the first round of the FA Cup, they were both televised matches. Rochdale away in 2010 and Chesterfield at home in 2015.

So it’s every five years that they get to be on TV for the first round tie.   

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on October 26, 2020, 10:09:43 pm by donnievic »
Tidy little ground aswell

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on October 26, 2020, 10:21:35 pm by selby »
  Not a game to be taken lightly and with our young side they are more than likely more used to cup football being knock out than ourselves.
  And they have drawn a team renowned for being poor in cup competitions.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on October 27, 2020, 11:19:02 am by Colemans Left Hook »
  Not a game to be taken lightly and with our young side they are more than likely more used to cup football being knock out than ourselves.

i have a funny feeling you are going to eat those words this year (but not necessarily in this competition)

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on October 27, 2020, 02:17:11 pm by graingrover »
this is a very nice inside view from Russian tv .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VExaL-nvQfo

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on October 27, 2020, 03:32:33 pm by Campsall rover »
this is a very nice inside view from Russian tv .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VExaL-nvQfo
Thanks for posting that U Tube Graingrover.  A brilliant watch and informative insight into the formation of the club.

It is a fantastic concept on the way a club should be owned, funded, the community involvement and the principles it’s stands for and those it opposes such as its big corporate brother down the road. The reason why their club was conceived.

It has made me very proud that our club, a club which has its community at its heart, is going to play them in the 1st round of the FA Cup.
Good luck to FC United of Manchester except in our match against them next week of course.

What a terrible shame at least 700/800 of us can’t be there to see the game.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on October 27, 2020, 04:12:39 pm by selby »
  CLH, I hope you are right, but the omens are not that good we are out of the League Cup first round and are hovering in the other having drawn and lost already to two Division 2 sides and have not got a good record against U23s sides.
  I think it depends on what sort of side the Wolves put out, and of course the type of side we pick.
  Going on past years being out of all cups before Christmas is par for the course, and it would be interesting just where we would lie in a table of Division 1 and 2 teams over the last twenty years in cup results.
  I live in hope.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on October 27, 2020, 04:40:44 pm by scawsby steve »

The last sentence isn't really relevant to this game though Brian. Whilst I agree with you that we've a poor record in cup competitions, I can only ever remember us losing to one non-league team, Wigan Athletic.

I'm sure some stat experts on here will prove me wrong, but I believe our record against non-league teams is good.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on October 27, 2020, 04:41:31 pm by NickDRFC »
  CLH, I hope you are right, but the omens are not that good we are out of the League Cup first round and are hovering in the other having drawn and lost already to two Division 2 sides and have not got a good record against U23s sides.
  I think it depends on what sort of side the Wolves put out, and of course the type of side we pick.
  Going on past years being out of all cups before Christmas is par for the course, and it would be interesting just where we would lie in a table of Division 1 and 2 teams over the last twenty years in cup results.
  I live in hope.

“Being out of all cup competitions before Christmas is par for the course”. Is it?

In the past 5 years, we’ve been out of all competitions before Christmas twice (40%). In the past 10 years, we’ve been out of all of them three times (30%). So depending on your time frame for recent years, we’ve still been in the pot post-Christmas roughly two-thirds of the time.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on October 27, 2020, 04:42:52 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
werent Exeter non league ??

just to remind you all the Wolves match is on the 10th tuesday after the fa cup match -- this site hasnt got it in the fixtures

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on October 27, 2020, 06:32:48 pm by Campsall rover »

The last sentence isn't really relevant to this game though Brian. Whilst I agree with you that we've a poor record in cup competitions, I can only ever remember us losing to one non-league team, Wigan Athletic.

I'm sure some stat experts on here will prove me wrong, but I believe our record against non-league teams is good.
Think we lost to Emley in the FA Trophy. We were a Conference team at the time and Emley in NPL.
So don’t know if we are counting that one?
Or was it Frickley Athletic. Think it may have been. I remember I was away on holiday so missed the match.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 06:41:57 pm by Campsall rover »

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on October 27, 2020, 06:39:22 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

Think we lost to Emley in the FA Trophy. We were a Conference team at the time and Emley in NPL.

Apparently they had Rovers in a spin, was anyone  on here there to see Emley Play ?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on October 27, 2020, 06:47:36 pm by Campsall rover »

Apparently they had Rovers in a spin, was anyone  on here there to see Emley Play ?
You posted CLF before I added that it may have been Frickley Athletic. I have a feeling it was.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on October 27, 2020, 07:19:15 pm by RoversAlias »

Or was it Frickley Athletic. Think it may have been. I remember I was away on holiday so missed the match.

Not sure why we'd count that? Every time we lost in the FA Trophy was to a non-league team, because we were too. It's a competition for non-league teams after all.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on October 27, 2020, 08:05:21 pm by Padge_DRFC »
The Frickley game was on the Clarkson show years ago to.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on October 27, 2020, 08:24:59 pm by les@donr »
We got beat by Scarborough in Rd 1, they were non-league and we were in L3 (now Lg 2)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on October 27, 2020, 10:34:42 pm by selby »
  I bet the percentage is a bit different after round three the first week in January, and in a couple of those seasons we didn't start until the third round.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on October 27, 2020, 11:03:08 pm by NickDRFC »
  I bet the percentage is a bit different after round three the first week in January, and in a couple of those seasons we didn't start until the third round.

You said that being out of all cup competitions by Christmas was par for the course. It isn’t. It’s only happened in the minority of seasons recently. Us not being in the FA cup final is par for the course, but being out of the competition by Christmas definitely isn’t.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on October 29, 2020, 05:06:50 pm by drfchound »
Our first round tie is to be shown live on BBC2 on Saturday 7th November at 5.30pm.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on October 29, 2020, 05:32:06 pm by Campsall rover »
Our first round tie is to be shown live on BBC2 on Saturday 7th November at 5.30pm.
Great news. Let’s just hope they don’t get the giant killing the BBC will be hoping for.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on October 29, 2020, 05:38:19 pm by selby »
  Great to get a bit of coin coming in from TV though Paul, I was wondering why they might have picked us, lets hope for a Chorley at home score

TinyPortal © 2005-2012