Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:41:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Plymouth Argyle game  (Read 8916 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Plymouth Argyle game
« on October 25, 2020, 10:38:51 am by selby »
  Games just keep on coming up fast and furious, and to go to Plymouth on a Tuesday night if there were away spectators allowed would have been even more cruel than just making the team travel all that way for a game of football.
 It is a game that we need to get the result this weekend out of our system, a game we deserved something from, but a recurring problem   we have, if we were more ruthless in front of goal we would have got at least a point from both league games we have lost and would have done better in the cup games.
  What can we do about it, very little in way of changes in personnel numbers but has tinkering with a couple of changes a game been part of the problem? is the old adage if it is not broken don't mend it more apt than we realise?
  The fixture list and games so close together don't help a manager in these circumstances and at time lady luck has not been on our side in those  games, and especially at Wigan and Crewe we have come up against two keepers who have made some terrific saves in the games.
  I am happy with our position in the league always sceptical of teams that blast out of the blocks and streak away, not very often do they last the course, although we need to keep within reach and don't let a too big a gap appear, and if we keep playing as we are we will do all right especially if we start to take the chances we create.
  Plymouth are one of the teams on our tails, like Crewe are used to winning games having just got promotion and have an unbeaten record at home winning three and drawing one, so a very difficult place to go and get a result, and will test our resolve to get back to winning ways quickly.
  Their manager coming from the turmoil at Bury has built two sides good enough to get promotion from Division 2 so knows how to win games and must have a style of play that wins games we have a hard task ahead.
  Would you make changes again although Taylor would be a doubt and a big miss?
  Will we alter our tactics?
   I have travelled to away games for the last few seasons, but will be more than happy to watch this game on ifollow instead of travelling all that way for a mid weak evening game, will you?
  Will that be the future way we will watch games in mid week in the future? will the football authorities allow it? they should at least consider it and for most clubs with few travelling fans could be a better income stream.
  Do you fancy us to bounce back with a win?
  Lots to discuss about the game please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Plymouth Argyle game
« Reply #1 on October 25, 2020, 10:48:27 am by Chris Black come back »
Played four, won three, drawn one at home in League One this season. Only conceded two goals at home in the league this season and across those four games has been behind for only 14 minutes in total.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 25, 2020, 01:48:37 pm by since-1969 »
Injuries are mounting already now , so keeping the rest fit for what is a game every 3-4 days is a heck of a schedule to keep up . DM will no doubt be making changes as a result of Taylor’s injury so getting back to free scoring will be his mantra , Gomes is due another run of goals ! Copps needs to play IMO if we are to avoid back to back defeats .

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 25, 2020, 02:05:49 pm by the vicar »
We need to stay switched on as we didn’t yesterday,
.  We had most of the play but got caught on the counter, and put away our chances

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 25, 2020, 03:24:46 pm by Campsall rover »
Played four, won three, drawn one at home in League One this season. Only conceded two goals at home in the league this season and across those four games has been behind for only 14 minutes in total.
They are due a home defeat then. Undefeated home runs don’t last forever either.  :thumbsup:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 26, 2020, 10:45:43 am by selby »
  I am guessing now, but In think this could be one of the few games when we will stay overnight for the game, probably trained yesterday and a little this morning and travel down later today.
  Not cheap and accomodation for the numbers will not be easy to find with covid restrictions imposed on Hotels.
  Would we travel back after the game? whatever we do it will impact on our build up for next weekend v Lincoln and some of the hardships of being a footballer.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 26, 2020, 01:01:06 pm by Campsall rover »
  I am guessing now, but In think this could be one of the few games when we will stay overnight for the game, probably trained yesterday and a little this morning and travel down later today.
  Not cheap and accomodation for the numbers will not be easy to find with covid restrictions imposed on Hotels.
  Would we travel back after the game? whatever we do it will impact on our build up for next weekend v Lincoln and some of the hardships of being a footballer.
Seriously Brian? ‘Hardships of being a footballer’  Wish i had been good enough to have earned a living playing pro football.
Think if they can’t cope with 2 games a week then it’s a poor show. They should try being a pro Tennis player, now they do have huge physical demands put on them. IMO.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 01:04:19 pm by Campsall rover »

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 26, 2020, 01:07:09 pm by colincramb »
Yes but tennis isn’t a contact sport and that makes a big difference. 2 games a week is hard going

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 26, 2020, 01:22:46 pm by knockers »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 26, 2020, 01:23:35 pm by Campsall rover »
Yes but tennis isn’t a contact sport and that makes a big difference. 2 games a week is hard going
Well yes players get injuries, strains, etc playing football and the physical contact is different to tennis i agree but footballers playing 2 games a week means they train less on those weeks.
Tennis players can be on court for 4/5 hours each game playing a 5 set tennis match. If they are lucky they get 1 day between matches, sometimes they play consecutive days.

Try telling people working 3 different shifts week after week in a warehouse or factory about the hardships of being a pro footballer.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 26, 2020, 03:40:31 pm by sha66y »
I do get embarrassed when I read of how hard it is for sportsmen..

Anyway....should be a good game , if weather good play Gomes if not play Richards or Copps.... 1-4

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 26, 2020, 04:37:37 pm by Campsall rover »
I do get embarrassed when I read of how hard it is for sportsmen..

Anyway....should be a good game , if weather good play Gomes if not play Richards or Copps.... 1-4
I will take that. 1-4 bring it on.  :thumbsup:

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 26, 2020, 05:25:58 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Pretty sure I heard DM say they were travelling down on the day.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 26, 2020, 05:49:14 pm by Retdon1 »
Seriously Brian? ‘Hardships of being a footballer’  Wish i had been good enough to have earned a living playing pro football.
Think if they can’t cope with 2 games a week then it’s a poor show. They should try being a pro Tennis player, now they do have huge physical demands put on them. IMO.

Try being a pro rugby league player at the min. Super league teams are practically playing every 3/4 days at the minute. I played both football and rugby league... a rugby league match used to take 2/3 days for the body to start feeling normal again...where as football I used to play again the same day.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 26, 2020, 07:52:59 pm by ForsolongaRover »
Any team coming up from League 2 is something of an unknown quantity and we found that in Crewe who performed better than Ipswich.

It is worrying that nearly all the new young lads on loan have proved injury-prone, but perhaps it is not only because they have yet to become "durable" in the tough world of "Man's Football", but also because they have put so much into the games so far. Hopefully they will learn when restraint rather than 100% is wise. In putting them into careful re-hab straightaway, rather than letting them carrying on, management has done the right thing.

But we do need them all back asap as we are running out of reinforcements. Two games a week requires at least a team and half of first team players. Tomorrow is an important test and a point at least to maintain expectations of a promotion challenge. 

On iFollow, you would think that on any away fixture where you couldn't get there and back on the day (and get home at a civilised hour) it would be economically beneficial for the away side to have the games to be live-steamed, whether it was a Tuesday or a Saturday. Teams like Plymouth would lose some revenue on the gate, but they would gain extra money on almost all their away games since the nearest is Bristol Rovers which is 120 miles away which might be just about manageable, but nowhere else.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 26, 2020, 08:06:58 pm by dknward2 »
Won a free match pass from the EFL rewards app got the code today so redeemed it for tomorrow.

We must perform better to get anything down there hopefully Darren will have got them to perform just like vs Ipswich

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 26, 2020, 08:09:10 pm by donny dave »
I am in Plymouth working at the moment and would love to go to this.
They are a good side and also seem to be very fast

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 26, 2020, 08:29:26 pm by selby »
  Retdon, I love both games and agree about the Rugby League, the fitness levels are fantastic, it is definitely a young mans game, surprised at the comments being taken seriously as it was meant tongue in cheek, but hey it has created a bit of discussion.
  Plymouth have a great pull area for supporters if they ever get a really good team together, a team that would suit the American idea of a franchise with little opposition for a live gate, a fantastic area scenic wise and one that holiday makers love, a very attractive area.
  And yet one of the things the club say they have to fight against is the reluctance of players to be willing to move to the area which I have always found strange.
  Personally I see this game now as something of a marker as to the character of the team and their ability to react to a knock to confidence which must have been running high after the  Ipswich and Portsmouth games.
  It will be interesting to see their reaction being a young side, and in most cases inexperienced.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 26, 2020, 10:20:27 pm by drfchound »
I see that the bbc are still showing the kick off time as 7.45pm.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 26, 2020, 11:03:22 pm by scawsby steve »

So is our iFollow site.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 27, 2020, 05:51:52 am by Donnywolf »
I am in Plymouth working at the moment and would love to go to this.
They are a good side and also seem to be very fast

Cruel luck .... Longest away game this Season for me (collecting Grounds) and had pencilled in this one Swindon and AFC as "not to be missed"

Looks like both of us unlucky lol

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 27, 2020, 07:48:27 am by Campsall rover »
  Retdon, I love both games and agree about the Rugby League, the fitness levels are fantastic, it is definitely a young mans game, surprised at the comments being taken seriously as it was meant tongue in cheek, but hey it has created a bit of discussion.
  Plymouth have a great pull area for supporters if they ever get a really good team together, a team that would suit the American idea of a franchise with little opposition for a live gate, a fantastic area scenic wise and one that holiday makers love, a very attractive area.
  And yet one of the things the club say they have to fight against is the reluctance of players to be willing to move to the area which I have always found strange.
  Personally I see this game now as something of a marker as to the character of the team and their ability to react to a knock to confidence which must have been running high after the  Ipswich and Portsmouth games.
  It will be interesting to see their reaction being a young side, and in most cases inexperienced.
Sorry Brian if I took your comment a bit too literally.  :)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 27, 2020, 08:41:23 am by drfchound »

So is our iFollow site.

Yes I know.
I was wondering why the kick off hadn’t been brought forward due to the long distance to travel back home.
People were saying that was the reason why midweek kick offs were brought forward last time.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 27, 2020, 10:09:00 am by idler »
If we are travelling down on the day the later kick off would give us more time after the journey down. Have a meal and a stroll around to loosen up rather than off the coach and play an hour later.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 27, 2020, 11:16:39 am by bpoolrover »
is it not 7.45?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 27, 2020, 12:01:37 pm by drfchound »
is it not 7.45?

See subsequent posts mate.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 27, 2020, 12:20:31 pm by bpoolrover »
Still can’t find anything mate thought it was the Swindon one not the Plymouth that was 7?

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 27, 2020, 12:29:07 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Not expecting anything tonight. I've always hated this lot since employing that murderer, too.

It's raining, players won't want their hair getting wet. Disappointing result on Saturday after 2 excellent results. Depends on which Rovers turn up.

Tough game Saturday. Only positive is we seem to have a decent home record vs. Lincoln.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 27, 2020, 01:25:42 pm by RoversAlias »
It kicks off at 7.45pm. Only the Ipswicu and Swindon games have been moved earlier so far.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 27, 2020, 01:58:31 pm by Campsall rover »
It kicks off at 7.45pm. Only the Ipswicu and Swindon games have been moved earlier so far.
Swindon v Accrington now off.  Covid 19 presumably as both clubs have had games off in the last week.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012